• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

You don't think this incident could effect the quality of the show down the line? Maybe not the rest of season 2, but what about the currently in production season 3?
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't the fanbase make some odd statements and turn this [Derpy... thing] all into a split timeline or something? Never stopped them before.

tafer

Yeah I don't know, maybe I'm trying to be too hopeful and positive about this, but I really doubt it'll go that far. There's nothing to indicate that this is anything more than one isolated change, jumping to conclusions that this means an end to all easter eggs and background references to the fandom just seems like too big of a leap.

Maybe you are right and maybe we are just taking the issue too seriously.

However, the edited episode wasn't free for someone... and money is always "serious business" (Heh, Sorry I had too)

On the other hand, bronies are an important part of the apparent huge success of the show. Keeping the fans happy seems to be a good business, and Hasbro knows it. With some luck this incident will have no repercussions.

Time will tell.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Just because your willing to roll over and die on the issue doesn't mean everyone else is
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
If we let them win this time without a fight (and by that I mean peaceful petitions) that just encourages more censorship.

You heard it right here folks, this is comparable to good versus evil. And no I don't think this will negatively affect a season 3. After all we have the current show runner's word on how lenient Hasbro have been in production and they okayed the episode in the first place. The team knows what they're doing and I'm glad nobody was fired.

Everything's fine.
/rainbowglasses

brian577

Banned
You heard it right here folks, this is comparable to good versus evil. And no I don't think this will negatively affect a season 3. After all we have the current show runner's word on how lenient Hasbro have been in production and they okayed the episode in the first place. The team knows what they're doing and I'm glad nobody was fired.

Everything's fine.
/rainbowglasses

And you don't think this incident (which cost them money) could cause them to rethink that position?

Orcastar

We need to call a moratorium on Derpygate at some point, IMO. It's changing nothing and every side has had fair points with the character extremely likely to persist (just read the Bronystate interview on Hasbro's involvement). The internet must let it rest, especially now Hasbro and the writer have had their say. Except for all those #savederpy fuckers.

And no I won't treat that Stephen Fry quote with any degree of respect or seriousness after some of his recent behaviour.
I think it's too late to call a moratorium on Derpygate. Like someone already mentioned in the old thread, this is the the MLP fandom's very own "Greedo shot first".

Of course we could always go back to debating whether Rainbow Dash cheated.

Don't know anything about Stephen Fry's recent behaviour, so I can't comment on that.

Everything's fine.
/rainbowglasses
I hope you're right, but I'm a pessimist, so...

Also, hurry back to IRC already, you're missing the party.

blamite

And you don't think this incident (which cost them money) could cause them to rethink that position?
Honestly... off the top of my head I can't think of a single thing in any other episode that would be a candidate for editing in the way Derpy was. One thing out of 44 episodes was considered questionable enough to change, and even that one thing just barely caused enough of a stir to be looked at. I don't think that's enough of a precedent to convince everyone at Hasbro that there's a problem that needs special attention paid to it. I don't think the Derpy incident is enough to get Hasbro to meddle in the making of the Hub's most popular show. Why would they mess with a formula for success unless it's for a really serious reason?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I think it's too late to call a moratorium on Derpygate. Like someone already mentioned in the old thread, this is the the MLP fandom's very own "Greedo shot first".

Of course we could always go back to debating whether Rainbow Dash cheated.

Don't know anything about Stephen Fry's recent behaviour, so I can't comment on that.

I hope you're right, but I'm a pessimist, so...

Also, hurry back to IRC already, you're missing the party.

I'm missing a party!?

btw: brian and blamite, have you ever joined our irc? Everyone is super nice, except Cheezmo. He's a jerk and his name gets autocorrected to Cheezmoohohoh on my phone :p

brian577

Banned
Honestly... off the top of my head I can't think of a single thing in any other episode that would be a candidate for editing in the way Derpy was. One thing out of 44 episodes was considered questionable enough to change, and even that one thing just barely caused enough of a stir to be looked at. I don't think that's enough of a precedent to convince everyone at Hasbro that there's a problem that needs special attention paid to it. I don't think the Derpy incident is enough to get Hasbro to meddle in the making of the Hub's most popular show. Why would they mess with a formula for success unless it's for a really serious reason?

Your logic sound. Can't say this is the first time I've overreacted to something like this. I reacted similarly to Faust's departure.

Parfait

I'll admit it

If i had a giant book of magic and shit, I'd read it so hard. I'd read it hard and long. You don't even know man

Link Man

Banned

I was just wondering; when the show ends, what are we going to do? Will we disband, or continue on until we grow tired and eventually just drift away?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Your logic sound. Can't say this is the first time I've overreacted to something like this. I reacted similarly to Faust's departure.
Truth be told, everyone involved can be considered guilty of overreacting. I guess it can be said that it's something that is both in the genes of rabid fans and PC-obsessed corporations.

Scirrocco

Why can't the fanbase make some odd statements and turn this [Derpy... thing] all into a split timeline or something? Never stopped them before.
Dr. Whooves would have been involved. Maybe he changed the past so that Derpy became more derpy, but changed it back.

I was just wondering; when the show ends, what are we going to do? Will we disband, or continue on until we grow tired and eventually just drift away?

Probably a bit of both. Certainly the community will be less active and vocal, but theres plenty of creative minds out there who will start picking up the slack. When the series itself stops, we'll likely see an increase in Fan animations and comics to fill the pony void, and projects like fighting is magic and the CMC game will keep the torch alive for a bit.

The real test will be when the next gen of ponies comes out. Hasbro won't let the series itself die. There will be a 5 gen of ponies at some time, and depending on its quality, the community would embraces it or we all accept that its over.

If you try, if the writers start to question themselves on every joke they write, if Hasbro starts to go through episodes with a fine-tooth comb to weed out anything that might offend anyone, the show will devolve into the bland and pointless mess that previous gens of MLP were. I hope Derpy's fate doesn't mean this will start happening, but it might.

I honestly don't believe there is any reason to worry about this happening. I think a lot of the reason this specific thing was so scrutinized is because it's such a big thing for the fans.

We've gotten the alcohol implying cider episode and chemotherapy pony, things I don't think would've made it in if the creators didn't have pretty free reign to do what they want.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

I've dwelled on this myself, actually. My musings had led me to believe that the core of the fan base will exponentially diminish following the conclusion of the series. EqD will continue to post fan arts and updates on the cast/crew of MLP as they move onto other projects, but will slide away. The rest of the "fanbase" will follow, as DeviantART submissions for Pony Art slow to a crawl.

However, I do think that pockets of MLP fan communities will thrive. Dedicated groups that will continue to discuss the show, continue to do fan art, and continue to try and introduce others to the show for years to come. Tight-knit communities can survive long after their original "purpose" has become moot (indeed, oftentimes its a requirement, as the original topic for discussion might grow bland or saturated before it is concluded).

PonyGAF itself will most likely linger on in some form or another a year or so after the show wraps up. For how long and in what capacity I cannot say.

But in the meantime, thank goodness for top-notch art like this. This community really rocks.

judhudson

All I can say is I hope the show goes on for as long as Spongebob does (I think they are still airing new Spongebob episodes)...

LuffyZoro

I believe the fanbase'll last for at least, oh, half a year at roughly the same strength after the show ends, aside from the people who truly do just watch the show. After that decline is inevitable, though I agree with ahoy in thinking that PonyGAF will be able to survive for a time longer, at least in the IRC.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
All I can say is I hope the show goes on for as long as Spongebob does (I think they are still airing new Spongebob episodes)...

The sheer amount of episodes they've been pumping out in these first two seasons makes me skeptical of that point. That, and the fact that the Hub still seems to be pushing for a "Smash n' Grab" merchandising franchise in the continued tradition of Hasbro, still perhaps unaware of how strong the legs of this franchise they've stumbled upon might be.

Narag

I believe the fanbase'll last for at least, oh, half a year at roughly the same strength after the show ends, aside from the people who truly do just watch the show. After that decline is inevitable, though I agree with ahoy in thinking that PonyGAF will be able to survive for a time longer, at least in the IRC.

IRC will become kirbychat at last.

Basically.

It's less "this episode was edited" and more "no more future Derpy appearances, Lyra and BonBon hanging out together, Berry Punch being concerned about lack of beverages, etc."

After the Derpy scene we assumed they would increase in frequency and obviousness, now they may go out of there way to be "careful" about being squeaky clean.

And that's not even counting the potential to never get stuff like the bear neck snap, the funeral from H&H, Mr. Cake's shifty eyes with his explanation of "his" kids, etc.

They'll go through the series with a fine tooth comb and sterilize it into G3 level crap.

or maybe i'm being over dramatic

Where in the world are you getting this from? In what way does the rationale for dropping Derpy have anything to do with the other background characters? How does the stated rationale for removing Derpy's name from the show, that it reinforces a narrative that contibutes to the marginalization of the mentally disabled in our society, at all implicate fluttershy's neck snap or the funeral in Heart's and Hooves Day?

There is a tendency of some to lump those who censor because they personally dislike what is being shown with those who strive to hold media companies to their proper social responsibility concerning society's most vulnerable classes. It's a convenient justification for those who would like their media consumption habits to be hidden behind a veil of ignorance, completely immune from examination, critique, or criticism, but it's simply not true. There is no similarity between someone who argues from pique or animus against a certain kind of content, and those who strive to ensure that the media they consume do not, so far as possible, does not perpetuate injustice.

... ugh, reading the whole thing is far worse than I expected, and for such unintended reason: "Someone somewhere was offended! We must fix!" (In this case, an over-sensitive and insignificant minority)

Even worse, now that the trolls and the ultra-sensitive are well aware that Hasbro is willing to respond to their "needs", there is a good chance that we'll see more of this issues in the future and/or the creators will start to apply additional self-censorship to their works. (On an already limited-by-its-intended-audience show)

yay

I think the uproar should tell you that they are not overly concerned with being inoffensive- the original posting said, all too well, that "Fans were going to be offended no matter what." They had waded into controversy whether they wanted to or not, and any action would leave some people being offended. What they did did not minimize offense, since if that was all they were concerned about they would have gone with the majority opinion. They instead did the right thing, bringing greater controversy upon themselves in order to not be guilty of perpetuating negatve stereotypes against the mentally disabled.

The fact is that you cannot make a TV show that will not offend anyone. You just can't, not even with a franchise as inherently inoffensive as My Little Pony. If you try, if the writers start to question themselves on every joke they write, if Hasbro starts to go through episodes with a fine-tooth comb to weed out anything that might offend anyone, the show will devolve into the bland and pointless mess that previous gens of MLP were. I hope Derpy's fate doesn't mean this will start happening, but it might.

Expanding our circle of concern to more of society's marginalized will no more kill humor than when we did the same thing for women and racial minorities last century. Third-rate comics may lament that their routines filled with nothing but "cunt" and "nigger" are no longer welcome(and indeed they are not- the modern world has no place for them) - but the MLP team, and indeed anyone of talent, are made of sterner stuff.

The worst part of the drama being that I was over it after the first day, but someone brought it up again.

Here's some art to take up space and hurry us to a new, less argument filled page.

a little technique i picked up from Forester

141213%20-%20pinkie_pie%20spike%20vegetarian.jpg

I shall only say...The drama WILL continue, no matter what each side says. I have the unedited DVD I really don't care what they may or may not do for the future showing of said episode.

Point is, while I support those who want the original scene uncensored, it already has been done and changed or 'censored' and you have to deal with it, but complaining is ok too! and whether she is Derpy, Ditzy, or the character we find hiding in weird places, I don't mind anymore.

Lol, it's like when I call Lyra 'Lyra', instead of 'Heartstrings'...I know the toys say one thing, but I still say the other...=p

(I am admittedly difficult to reason with...)

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Sup PonyGAF, just watched the first two episodes of MLP to see what the fuss is about, i couldn't believe how much i got into it.. What makes this so fun to watch?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom