• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think it's because Hasbro has never really seen the show as a way to make money and is probably still planning what to do. The show was just to sell the toys, the new fandom has not really had an impact on that, and making money on the show itself would seem to have never been part of their plan. As such they're fine to let stuff stay on youtube because they never planned to make a realistic income from it.
But it's on iTunes...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Which is precisely the fault of her lack of dedicated episodes.

Not necessarily. For instance, Apple Bloom already had a personality and character established without having an ep dedicated for her because of her relationship with AJ. Same with SB.

But Scootaloo needs to die in a fire.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Not necessarily. For instance, Apple Bloom already had a personality and character established without having an ep dedicated for her because of her relationship with AJ. Same with SB.

But Scootaloo needs to die in a fire.
applebloom did not have a character before bridle gossip.

Orcastar

Where do you keep finding these "obnoxious fans" you're always talking about and in what way is their "obnoxiousness" displayed?

Hating on a character or anything else for that matter because of his/her/its fans is ridiculous.

Boss Doggie

The stupid fanon of "hurr trixie is a woobie stop itz!" is pretty much a hole in existence.

Then again MLP fanon is one of the worst things to be spawned in western animation along with Avatar shipping and Invader Zim fandom in general.

Nah, the terrible fans of FiM are just as terrible as terrible fans of Avatar, Invader Zim, Furries, Twilight fans, Happry Potter fans, etc.

Orcastar

The stupid fanon of "hurr trixie is a woobie stop itz!" is pretty much a hole in existence.

Then again MLP fanon is one of the worst things to be spawned in western animation along with Avatar shipping and Invader Zim fandom in general.
So I can't be a fan of Trixie or Scootaloo without woobifying them? I can't just like them for what they are in the series?

And what makes the MLP fanon so bad? Personally I think the fanon is great and a big part of what makes the series so appealing. Of course there are many parts of it that I don't agree with, but as a whole the fanon has produced a massive amount of some really amazing things. Then again I don't really have much experience with any other fanons, so I guess it's entirely possible that other TV series, books, movies and games have much better fanons; I wouldn't know. Still, I would like to know what makes this one so terrible.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Part of the reason why I liked Trixie so much was because she was a huge jerk, why let fanon change things? Anyway it's silly to hate characters just because of someone else's interpretation.

McNum

I agree, the fun of Trixie is that she's a bitch. And that she gets her comeuppance in the show. She's played her part, if she returns, fine, if she doesn't, also fine. I'm just glad we got a pony who showed that while most ponies are friendly and mild-mannered, they're not all like that. Now Gilda on the other hand... I can't stand her. She made Fluttershy cry. But I don't really see Gilda returning in the show, so that's fine.

I like all of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, though, but Scootaloo really could do with a focus episode. She's a Rainbow Dash fanfilly, she's good at sports, and she doesn't think things through, at all. I kind of hope we get a bit more characterization of the final of the crusaders. But with both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle getting an episode each this season already, I'm sure Scootaloo will get one, too. Maybe have her learn to fly or something like that.

But most of the fanon is fine with me. I do like it when the show proves it wrong, though. Luna was so much more fun than her fanon Woona self.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've never seen anything in the fandom that even remotely warrants the Scootabuse meme.

I believe that horrid meme started when someone simply asked Lauren Faust "Is Scootaloo Rainbow's younger sister?" and she responded "No" and followed up with "I believe Rainbow Dash wouldn't be a good sister". The fanbase completely took this the wrong way and believed she would horribly torture Scootaloo like an Eli Roth movie.

I appreciate the fan-made stuff, it shows how dedicated people can really be. It's the alternate characterization that bothers me. Trollestia stopped being funny ages ago, why it still keeps going is beyond me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I like all of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, though, but Scootaloo really could do with a focus episode. She's a Rainbow Dash fanfilly, she's good at sports, and she doesn't think things through, at all. I kind of hope we get a bit more characterization of the final of the crusaders. But with both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle getting an episode each this season already, I'm sure Scootaloo will get one, too. Maybe have her learn to fly or something like that.

But most of the fanon is fine with me. I do like it when the show proves it wrong, though. Luna was so much more fun than her fanon Woona self.

Have Scootaloo get her Cutie Mark. She's easily the closest of the three to figuring it out. She likes stunts and stuff like that, she knows she likes it, she likes performing in front of people. Applebloom and Sweetie belle don't embrace their talent like Scootaloo has.

McNum

Have Scootaloo get her Cutie Mark. She's easily the closest of the three ti figuring it out. She likes stunts and stuff like that, she knows she likes it, she likes performing in front of people. Applebloom and Sweetie belle don't embrace their talent like Scootaloo has.
That'd be a fun story, actually. Especially if Scootaloo still doesn't quite get it with how she got her mark, leading to her "guiding" the other two crusaders into doing it wrong again. Come to think of it, in most montages we see with the CMC they are doing some extreme or not sports related things. That'd work best for Scootaloo. That and getting her a stunt cutie mark would be a great similarity, yet contrast to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow is all about speed, but Scootaloo is all about doing tricks.

Cheerilee

I'm still sticking to my theory that by doing it wrong, the CMC are delaying their cutie marks, and if they do it long enough, they'll end up with friendship-based cutie marks (I expect the CMC logo on all three, despite the usual statement of individuality), and the CMC will go on forever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah I think they really need to do an episode where one of the CMC's gets a cutie mark while the others don't. Definitely a good lesson to be learned about jealousy in there.

Scootaloo would probably be the best for this because she would probably be more abrasive about it than the other two.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah I think they really need to do an episode where one of the CMC's gets a cutie mark while the others don't. Definitely a good lesson to be learned about jealousy in there.

Kind of already had that. In Cutie Pox we saw a Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo that were nothing but happy for their friend getting her cutie mark. Wasn't even a hint of jealousy.

And I mentioned this for that episode but the episode also kind of highlighted how Applebloom is far more desperate to get her cutie mark than the others. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo seem to be enjoying the ride a lot more. We saw them go bowling, but they went to have fun as well as try to earn their cutie marks. Applebloom considers anything that doesn't result in her getting her mark as a failure.

Ok, you guys win, I want to check this out.

From what I've read of this thread, it seems you can watch all the episodes on YouTube, is that correct? I read they're on iTunes as well but I don't want to pay if all episodes are available online for free.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ok, you guys win, I want to check this out.

From what I've read of this thread, it seems you can watch all the episodes on YouTube, is that correct? I read they're on iTunes as well but I don't want to pay if all episodes are available online for free.

Yes they're all available on YouTube, we're not allowed to link to them anymore. But a simple search should bring it up quickly.

ZealousD

Kind of already had that. In Cutie Pox we saw a Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo that were nothing but happy for their friend getting her cutie mark. Wasn't even a hint of jealousy.

She didn't have it for long enough for them to be jealous, I think. There was no phase where Apple Bloom was comfortable with her cutie mark nor anything resembling the social consequences that a cutie mark brings. And certainly no hint of how the Crusaders would soldier on and continue to try and get cutie marks if one of their members already had one. They're trying to get their cutie marks simultaneously, afterall. What motivation would she have to try and help her friends get cutie marks if she already had hers?

And I mentioned this for that episode but the episode also kind of highlighted how Applebloom is far more desperate to get her cutie mark than the others.

Which is exactly why she will (should) get hers last.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
She didn't have it for long enough for them to be jealous, I think.

Still, based on what we've seen there would not be jealousy, least not from Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. That being said if either of them got their mark, I think there's evidence that Applebloom would be jealous and resentful (how's Twist these days Applebloom?).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
even though he's a hated celestia lover, i have to agree with foresters assessment of appleblooms character. of the three she really is the one furthest from the maturity a cutiemark symbolizes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Double wat?

You people are meanies.

Just saying what I see. AB is far more obsessed with getting her Cutie Mark, to the point that she sometimes can't just have fun (look at when they went bowling). She also hasn't said a word to Twist since she got her cutie mark. I think that's evidence that Applebloom could very well show some jealousy if one of the others got theirs.

As for her getting it last. I don't think it's right to say she "deserves" it last. But I think she's the farthest from getting hers. Scoot knows what she loves, she just needs to figure out that it's her talent. Sweetie Belle needs to get over singing in public, but generally knows what she likes to do. Applebloom is a long way from nailing down what her talent is.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Have people forgotten how Bloom has almost been taken under Zecora's wing too? It's not like she's been doing *nothing* all this time.

Now I feel dirty. People are trying a little to hard to justify this kind of thing, and a cartoon for little girls too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Have people forgotten how Bloom has almost been taken under Zecora's wing too? It's not like she's been doing *nothing* all this time.

Now I feel dirty. People are trying a little to hard to justify this kind of thing, and a cartoon for little girls too.

I don't think what i've said is being mean, it's an observation of the character we've seen. I don't dislike Applebloom

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zecora certainly seems to care for her, but there hasnt been any indication from applebloom that she has an interest in or talent for what zecora does.

you're right, little girls are notoriously stupid and incapable of appreciating much beyond pretty pastel colours. We're just being mean by reading into things that clearly are too complex for the target audience and can't actually be there.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
you're right, little girls are notoriously stupid and incapable of appreciating much beyond pretty pastel colours. We're just being mean by reading into things that clearly are too complex for the target audience and can't actually be there.

Sure, play that age/gender card. Keep writing semi-blog posts about imaginary character traits belonging to cartoon characters. :mad:

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Sure, play that age/gender card. Keep writing semi-blog posts about imaginary character traits belonging to cartoon characters. :mad:

ivjuh.jpg

the 'its a little girl show' excuse is stupid. we've had editors and writers call it stupid, we've had faust herself say she designed the show with older viewers [parents] in mind.

don't be a silly pony, thnikka.

Cheerilee

Double wat?

You people are meanies.
In Call of the Cutie, Applebloom and Twist were being bullied for their lack of cutie marks. Applebloom suggested that they both could go to the party together and stick up for each other, but Twist just got her cutie mark. Twist suggested that she could still go with Applebloom, but it was kind of a pity suggestion, and Applebloom knew it. Then she got some bad advice from Rainbow Dash, who thinks anything can be forced (although Applejack and Twilight told her differently, so Applebloom's latching on to the answer she wants to hear). At the party, Applebloom was singled out and bullied alone, and where was Twist? Enjoying her new life, hanging out with cool fillies.

Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo stepped in and stood up for Applebloom, and themselves, making a speech about how it was stupid to discriminate against blank flanks. Twist was apparently just glad someone stepped in to defend Applebloom, because she was hesitant to stick her neck out.

Applebloom, having found some more courageous and supportive friends, asked if they could help each other force their cutie marks. Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo were shocked and dismayed, because Applebloom didn't learn anything from what just happened.

b5TKl.jpg

Then Sweetie Bell re-framed Applebloom's idea as a role-playing game, which was when Scootaloo jumped on board. These two are in the CMC to have fun adventures with their friends, not to try and force a cutie mark.

If one of those two happens to get a cutie mark before Applebloom, Applebloom would have some kind of problem. If Applebloom got her cutie mark first, there's no indication that the other two will would have any issues with it, and that would even be contrary to established character. The only breakdown would be if Applebloom somehow looked down on the other two and tried to run off and join the cool fillies, which I can't see happening at all, or if Applebloom decided to "return the favor" and redoubled her efforts to try and force her friends into getting them.

ZealousD

From a story standpoint.

I'm not beating up on Apple Bloom, I'm just saying that her approach to getting a cutie mark should not be rewarded or justified by giving her a cutie mark before Scootaloo or Sweetie Belle.

Boss Doggie

And what makes the MLP fanon so bad? Personally I think the fanon is great and a big part of what makes the series so appealing. Of course there are many parts of it that I don't agree with, but as a whole the fanon has produced a massive amount of some really amazing things. Then again I don't really have much experience with any other fanons, so I guess it's entirely possible that other TV series, books, movies and games have much better fanons; I wouldn't know. Still, I would like to know what makes this one so terrible.

Shit like Derpy mother and stuff happens due to fanon. The fans assume them as truths despite what the show does, and pretty much always find stupid, painful excuses to deal with them (case in point, Luna, and the sisters stuff involving Derpy).

Welcome to fanon.

Applebloom, having found some more courageous and supportive friends, asked if they could help each other force their cutie marks. Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo were shocked and dismayed, because Applebloom didn't learn anything from what just happened.

Apple Bloom's exact words were "Well, now that we're friends, what if the three of us work together to find out who we are and what we're supposed to be?" This strikes me as much more mature than how you portrayed it. She realizes that they have a lot of undirected potential and suggests they work together to realize it. Even the fact that she doesn't explicitly say 'cutie mark' shows that she realizes the important thing is the journey of self-discovery, not simply having the mark to show it. The goofy stunts that follow in further CMC episodes could be considered forcing a cutie mark, but her actual proposal didn't directly suggest that course of action.

Then Sweetie Bell re-framed Applebloom's idea as a role-playing game, which was when Scootaloo jumped on board. These two are in the CMC to have fun adventures with their friends, not to try and force a cutie mark.

Sure you could assume that they don't care about their cutie marks. However, that doesn't explain why, despite having a friend with the same issue, both ponies were hiding under a table during the party instead of just having a fun time. It took someone being berated in public for them to gain the confidence to be proud of their situation. They weren't the focus of the episode so we didn't get a complete view, but clearly they were conscious of the stigma of not having a mark, and thus would have some motivation to try and get one.

Furthermore, Scootaloo's suggestion (the first suggestion) for the name of their club, The Cutie Mark Three, directly states a desire for cutie marks unlike Apple Bloom's original proposal. It clearly and succinctly shows what she thinks their trio is all about.

Orcastar

Shit like Derpy mother and stuff happens due to fanon. The fans assume them as truths despite what the show does, and pretty much always find stupid, painful excuses to deal with them (case in point, Luna, and the sisters stuff involving Derpy).
So what you're saying is that because some fans take their headcanon too far, the entire fanon is shit? Way to overgeneralize.

I still don't understand how this makes the MLP fanon so much worse than other fanons.

Just gonna piont out what I believe to be fanon.
Twist suggested that she could still go with Applebloom, but it was kind of a pity suggestion, and Applebloom knew it.
At the party, Applebloom was singled out and bullied alone, and where was Twist? Enjoying her new life, hanging out with cool fillies. [...] Twist was apparently just glad someone stepped in to defend Applebloom, because she was hesitant to stick her neck out.
Twist didn't sound like she was saying that out of pity. And Applebloom was hiding, so Twist probably didn't even know Applebloom was there. Twist isn't shown during the blank flank reveal and only shows up after SB and Scoot do. There's two stories and fillies shown on the stairs, so Twist could have been upstairs or outside at the time.

And here's something I don't think is fanon, but an interpretation that I don't like but can agree with

http://i.imgur.com/b5TKl.jpg

I don't like your interpretation and can chalk it up to them listening and not understanding what she was saying at first. But your interpretation is very very plausible and I agree with that one.

Cheerilee

Apple Bloom's exact words were "Well, now that we're friends, what if the three of us work together to find out who we are and what we're supposed to be?" This strikes me as much more mature than how you portrayed it.
I also generalized Rainbow Dash/Applejack/Twilight's advice, and Sweetie Bell/Scootaloo's speech. I do that a lot.

Applebloom throws herself into the apple business hoping to get the family-themed cutie mark, and fails miserably.

Applebloom to Dash: My big sister says I'm going to get my cutie mark eventually and these things take time... but I WANT IT NOOOOWWWW!

Rainbow Dash: The key here is to try as many things as possible, as quickly as possible.

Applebloom trains with Rainbow Dash for a while, before switching to Pinkie because she's easier, before trying to get Twilight to force it with magic.

Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo said that being a blank flank didn't make any pony "not special" because they had hidden potential. Basic message being that there's nothing wrong with not having a cutie mark. Twilight is envious of their upcoming feeling of discovery, and Applejack says they have all the time in the world.

Now Applebloom wants their help with "discovering who she is", which is just another way of saying she still wants the cutie mark. None of the speeches sunk in, they only increased her vocabulary. She's the same pony who just earlier tried to force her cutie mark with magic, although she doesn't have bullying as an excuse anymore (damage done though).

She realizes that they have a lot of undirected potential and suggests they work together to realize it. Even the fact that she doesn't explicitly say 'cutie mark' shows that she realizes the important thing is the journey of self-discovery, not simply having the mark to show it.
Which is why she quits her journey of discovery in Cutie Pox because of lack of results, and then tries to convince Zecora to force the cutie mark with Zebra magic, and when Zecora says no and gives her the same advice almost everyone gives her, she steals the ingredients and tries to do it herself?

And then she's satisfied when her magic fake cutie mark randomly gives her exceptional skill with one of her old toys.

Sure you could assume that they don't care about their cutie marks. However, that doesn't explain why, despite having a friend with the same issue, both ponies were hiding under a table during the party instead of just having a fun time. It took someone being berated in public for them to gain the confidence to be proud of their situation.
They're not friends with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon (they're on bad terms actually), and they didn't even go to school with them. Pretty safe to say they weren't invited to the party, and were crashing. They didn't know Applebloom, and revealed themselves after she was insulted for being a blank flank.

Cheerilee

Just to mention, I don't think Applebloom and Twist were really "friends". They liked each other well enough, but they were mostly stuck together as the last two blank flanks at school. So they were friends, but not really good friends, if you get what I mean.

Just gonna piont out what I believe to be fanon.Twist didn't sound like she was saying that out of pity.
Twist was uncomfortable having to tell AB she had a cutie mark right after AB suggested they go as a team. And she was excited and wanted AB to be excited for her, but AB was visibly crushed and Twist was trying to cheer her up when she said that they should still go together. I think Twist was feeling sorry for AB, because she knew exactly how it felt.

Maybe pity was the wrong way of putting it.

And Applebloom was hiding, so Twist probably didn't even know Applebloom was there. Twist isn't shown during the blank flank reveal and only shows up after SB and Scoot do. There's two stories and fillies shown on the stairs, so Twist could have been upstairs or outside at the time.
Twist has deniablilty, because she wasn't visible, and AB obviously didn't meet up with Twist before the party and walk together (I figure AB basically dumped Twist at this point, maybe not deliberately because she had a lot on her mind, because they weren't in the same boat anymore). But at the party Twist would have finally been making friends with the ponies who once shunned her, which would not be a good time to stick your neck out and stand with someone who isn't cool. Since Twist wasn't visible, she wasn't in a position to betray AB by shunning her.

At the very least, Twist seemed genuinely happy that things worked out for Applebloom, so I don't consider her a bad pony at all, just another victim of peer pressure.

By fanon I mean you're making up some parts due to lack of show's information. Doesn't mean you're right or wrong.

On a side note, in regards to this definition of fanon. When people make fanon from a lack of information, then a future episode provides that information, people make up new fanon to explain away the new information. That's the kind of fanon I really hate. Which has been annoying me so much that I've been hating on all fanon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I do think episodes like Cutie Pox shows how the Cuttie Mark is a priority to the three though. Of course they all want to get it, but like I said before, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle seem to be able to enjoy the ride. They know they're going to get them eventually. Applebloom was unable to enjoy the day because it's all that mattered to her.

Cheerilee

By fanon I mean you're making up some parts due to lack of show's information. Doesn't mean you're right or wrong.

On a side note, in regards to this definition of fanon. When people make fanon from a lack of information, then a future episode provides that information, people make up new fanon to explain away the new information. That's the kind of fanon I really hate. Which has been annoying me so much that I've been hating on all fanon.

I think I know what you mean. Like, I really enjoyed that Derpy/Dinky/Megatron custody hearing comic, and I was fine with the proposed Derpy/Dinky relationship, but then Sisterhood Social comes along and some of these guys go into panic mode. I'm fine with the comic being obsolete. It exists and is still funny in my past.

I think there's a certain amount of reading between the lines and jumping to conclusions that's needed in all media, and I know I take it a bit too far sometimes when I see an opening because it's kind of fun, but yeah, when you see people taking it even farther for less reason, it sometimes takes the fun out of it.

Boss Doggie

So what you're saying is that because some fans take their headcanon too far, the entire fanon is shit? Way to overgeneralize.

I still don't understand how this makes the MLP fanon so much worse than other fanons.

Well obviously there are good aspects, like the non-hardcore fans, and there are those who aren't even taking it seriously. But fanon has usually never resulted in positive views outside of their own fandoms.

And like I said, it's "as worse as" rather than "the worse" :p

Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo said that being a blank flank didn't make any pony "not special" because they had hidden potential. Basic message being that there's nothing wrong with not having a cutie mark. Twilight is envious of their upcoming feeling of discovery, and Applejack says they have all the time in the world.
Now Applebloom wants their help with "discovering who she is", which is just another way of saying she still wants the cutie mark. None of the speeches sunk in, they only increased her vocabulary. She's the same pony who just earlier tried to force her cutie mark with magic, although she doesn't have bullying as an excuse anymore (damage done though).
Rushing to figure out who you are in an afternoon, and being proactive about it in the long term are two different things. They didn't say there's anything wrong with figuring out who you are.
The episode showed that Apple Bloom isn't a subtle character. She explicitly says what she wants, and before the end of the episode that was a cutie mark, regardless of anything else. For her, a change in vocabulary is a change in desire.

Which is why she quits her journey of discovery in Cutie Pox because of lack of results, and then tries to convince Zecora to force the cutie mark with Zebra magic, and when Zecora says no and gives her the same advice almost everyone gives her, she steals the ingredients and tries to do it herself?
And then she's satisfied when her magic fake cutie mark randomly gives her exceptional skill with one of her old toys.
I still think that any of the 3 could have burned out, but Apple Blooms connection with Zecora made her the best choice for that story.

I would also say that her feeling of burn out is completely justified, considering their 'journey' has been completely useless. They experience unrealistically embarrassing and spectacular failure at everything they try (save for their performance in show stoppers). They don't glean any real lessons from their attempts, although what they would really learn from something like triple zip-lining eludes me. Even Scootaloo grew tired of their failure in The Cutie Mark Chronicles, which lead to Apple Bloom suggesting they try something else. Something that wasn't about instant gratification, but about learning.

At the end of that ep, AB and SB were engrossed in what was essentially a tale of finding good friends. At the same time all Scoot wanted to hear was her hero's story, and after it was done, she just wanted to go back to trying stunts to get her mark, completely oblivious to the heartwarming nature of the story. I wouldn't extrapolate that to mean that Scoot is uncaring or anything like that, though.

All I'm trying to say is we've been shown a lot of CMC stuff through Apple Bloom, and that makes it easy to assume she's the one that wants a mark the most, or is the only one who really cares about it. I'll admit that's possible, but I don't think we've seen enough focused treatment of the other characters within the CMC framework to say that for certain.

Top Bottom