• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My problem with gamepass

nani17

are in a big trouble
So I've owned game pass for three months now and it's pretty good but now games I'm playing are leaving. Here's a list of games that are leaving just this month alone.

• NBA 2K20 (leaving September 1st, 2020)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (leaving September 7th, 2020)
  • Gonner: Blueberry Edition (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Jump Force (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Bad North (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Dishonored 2 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Westerado: Double Barreled (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Yooka-Laylee (leaving September 30th, 2020)
Don't get me wrong the price is brilliant the service works in terms of downloading and playing games but like I said games do leave quite a bit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How many of those games are you currently in the middle of playing? In addition to a lot of this stuff being on sale fairly often, there is also a permanent 10% discount if you want to keep it forever.

Also LOL at Dishonored 2 leaving. It will definitely return.

So I've owned game pass for three months now and it's pretty good but now games I'm playing are leaving. Here's a list of games that are leaving just this month alone.

Don't get me wrong the price is brilliant the service works in terms of downloading and playing games but like I said games do leave quite a bit.
It's the rotation of constant new and old games, which is it's appealing point. You can then purchase said game, at a discount if you want to keep the game. There's also a while slew of games coming to gamepass as these ones leave.

It's like being mad at Netflix that your favorite tv show or movie is leaving, but minus the ability to keep it in your library forever with a reduced price purchase.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
How many of those games are you currently in the middle of playing? In addition to a lot of this stuff being on sale fairly often, there is also a permanent 10% discount if you want to keep it forever.

Also LOL at Dishonored 2 leaving. It will definitely return.

Dishonored 2
DiRT Rally 2.0 (handy for podcasts lol)

Also playing Wasteland 3 and Flight Sim but there not on the September list.

ripeavocado

Banned

it’s just one of the many problems of game pass, the pass model is bad for consumers in the long run.

Mr Hyde

This is one of the main reasons I hate subscription models. I want to play games at my own leisure, without fear of the game being taken off the platform. Unlike movies and music, games takes a lot of time and effort to complete or to master, and knowing that the game you play might disappear is just a buzz kill all around.

Dishonored 2 isn't Leaving Xbox Game Pass now.
yD812FR.jpg

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
This is one of the main reasons I hate subscription models. I want to play games at my own leisure, without fear of the game being taken off the platform. Unlike movies and music, games takes a lot of time and effort to complete or to master, and knowing that the game you play might disappear is just a buzz kill all around.
Then you could also buy it as a discount while still subscribed. It’s a win win!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To contrast with OP's list, here are the games that were added to Game Pass in September:
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 2 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Touhou Luna Nights (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Hotshot Racing (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 3 (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Destiny 2 expansions Forsaken, Shadowkeep (added September 22nd, 2020)
  • Night in the Woods (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Doom Eternal (added October 1st, 2020)

Fitzchiv

You had access to all those games for less than 25% the cost of one of them when it was new, a month. Just like Netflix this is the downside is you never "own" the rental. It's a model that's existed a long time, Blockbuster turned stock over too

bender

What time is it?
Welcome to subscriptions?

I can't believe people are still caught off guard by these tactics.

And I can't believe people still think these tactics won't become more commonplace.

Less commonplace. Video game publishers are just pellets in the maze and Microsoft is Pac-Man. And even if you are a Ghost that hates Microsoft, you'll succumb as more of the board is eaten and when they use the power-pellets ($1 Game Pass trials/upgrades). This analogy totally works.

nani17

are in a big trouble
You had access to all those games for less than 25% the cost of one of them when it was new, a month. Just like Netflix this is the downside is you never "own" the rental. It's a model that's existed a long time, Blockbuster turned stock over too

Yeah but Netflix doesn't take you over 20 plus hours to watch one thing.......unless its a big series. Games are different to shows

Last edited:

Banned
you get 20% off on any game in gamepass if you are a subscriber.

games usually are in gamepass for around 6 months and many longer than that. plenty of time to play them. first party titles will stay forever of course (tho I would bet if licences run out in games like Forza Horizon 4 it will be taken out but go into a massive sale before that as usual.)

Roberts

If a game that gets added to GP interests me, I try to play either immediately or at least within the next three months. That way I never felt the disappointment of games leaving the service.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is gonna get worse too. The same way Netflix was cutting deals left and right in the beginning but once competition opened up and companies felt like Netflix was devaluing their IP the deals got shorter and less expansive.

Is what it is. You can always buy games if you want to keep them.

Pantz

When games are leaving they go on sale for 20% off. Or you could wishlist them and play one of the other titles while waiting for a bigger sale. DiRT Rally 2.0 goes on sales for $10 and $15 for the complete edition. Back in my day I paid $5.99 to rent one game for 2 days or something like that.

Batiman

Banned
Welcome to subscriptions?

I can't believe people are still caught off guard by these tactics.

And I can't believe people still think these tactics won't become more commonplace.
Well at the end of the day anyone subscribed to gamepass still had the option to buy. So I see no issue until they are exclusive to GP. Having options is what’s great. Not to mention getting a discount if you ever considered buying. Not sure how that’s a problem.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
The flip side of a rotating collection would be what? You just get to keep every game ever made? Thats not exactly reasonable. Play the game for a few months, move on to the next. Seems simple.

Bubba77

yea they give you a heads up. This is leaving, finish the damn game! And you get a discount if you buy it from there. And the first party stuff will never leave which is great.

martino

I don't how gamepass can be a problem in actual context
the value is big up to a certain level of dedication to the media
beyond that it stays relevant if you use it as discovery service to help you decide where to put your support and grow a game collection of thing you really care about
if you're into collection or you are really self aware of your taste then you don't really need it but you could use it to play xbox first party day one for cheap and buy the game later for cheap too
and the magic is those examples are not an exhaustive list, just quick toughs on options on the table and ways to use them

Last edited:
Thats at least what, $500 worth of games you would have had to pay if you didnt have gamepass. Instead you have paid prob 30 bucks. Now you can buy the ones you want for cheap and support the devs and still save boatloads of money. Its a win win. The problem is your understanding of the service.

Batiman

Banned
To contrast with OP's list, here are the games that were added to Game Pass in September:
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 2 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Touhou Luna Nights (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Hotshot Racing (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 3 (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Destiny 2 expansions Forsaken, Shadowkeep (added September 22nd, 2020)
  • Night in the Woods (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Doom Eternal (added October 1st, 2020)
Wow Doom eternal is coming next week?

Top Bottom