• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 has an overheating problem, what should I do?

Kopite

About a year ago, I purchased a secondhand PS3 slim from my buddy. After a couple of months the fans started being extremely loud. I decided to ignore it but a few weeks ago a "Your PS3 is overheating, please turn it off,etc" message popped up so I stopped playing for a while. I tried the fan cleaning trick and dusting and vacumming parts of the PS3(I never opened it up). I tried placing it in a vertical position and ensured it had proper air circulation and it seemed to help at first as the message never popped up again. I only played it sparingly afterward and only remasters(ICO, Okami) and the message didn't pop up again. Then a week back I tried to play GTA V but the overheating message popped up barely a minute later and the console shut itself down. I tried directing a fan on it but the same thing happened when I tried to replay GTA V. I've not turned it on since as I fear I might damage it further( if I haven't already). Can I do anything to fix it? Cheers GAF.

Yoday

What model of PS3 is it? If it is one of the fat PS3's, then the thermal paste is probably shot. I opened mine up about a week ago to replace the thermal paste and it has been running much cooler ever since. It used to run with the fan at 100% at all times, even idle on the XMB, but it run's much quieter now.

Kopite

What model of PS3 is it? If it is one of the fat PS3's, then the thermal paste is probably shot. I opened mine up about a week ago to replace the thermal paste and it has been running much cooler ever since. It used to run with the fan at 100% at all times, even idle on the XMB, but it run's much quieter now.
It's the 120GB PS3 slim circa 2009 I think? Is it difficult to open it up?

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member

If you do decide to open it up and try to replace the thermal paste, make sure you read up on it before doing it yourself. There's a good chance it will void any product protection stuff you might have (by this point you probably don't have to worry about it, but better to check) so if you have any more severe problems in the future, Sony might not be willing to accept the console. Also, be sure you look up exactly how to clean off the old paste and apply the new stuff. You can seriously ruin a CPU if you do this incorrectly, so be sure you learn how (YouTube has tons of videos) and practice a few times before doing it for real.

plainr_

I received a PS3 from a friend that was doing the exact same thing. I fixed it by reapplying new thermal paste to the CPU/GPU. It's been fine for over 6 months now.

inb4 wrap it in a towel

but anyway, sounds like you're doing all the right things...some of them just crap out and it sucks.

Yoday

If you do decide to open it up and try to replace the thermal paste, make sure you read up on it before doing it yourself. There's a good chance it will void any product protection stuff you might have (by this point you probably don't have to worry about it, but better to check) so if you have any more severe problems in the future, Sony might not be willing to accept the console. Also, be sure you look up exactly how to clean off the old paste and apply the new stuff. You can seriously ruin a CPU if you do this incorrectly, so be sure you learn how (YouTube has tons of videos) and practice a few times before doing it for real.
Agreed. It is super easy to do if you have experience with PC's, but you'd want to read up on it and watch some YouTube video's if you've never done it before.

I can't comment on any of the slim models, as I have only ever had my 80GB model that I got in '07.

Gundy2010

well at least you can always trade it in @ Gamestops as the last resort. I doubt they can find out the overheating problem during their 10 mininutes testing. That's what I did to mine to get the 30% extra credit towards PS4. That's also one reason I never purchase refurbished electronics... Even though $200.00 refurbished Wii U seems tempting...

Harpuea

You need to apply new Thermal Paste. I did it and my CECHA01 60 GB Fat PS3 quiets down. I had a tube of Thermal Paste left over from PC building. Brand of Thermal Paste don't really matter to me, some people like the expensive stuff. Warranty is long gone too.

There's a large number of videos online on how to disassemble the PS3, pick your flavor and go with it.

Taker34

Banned
well at least you can always trade it in @ Gamestops as the last resort. I doubt they can find out the overheating problem during their 10 mininutes testing. That's what I did to mine to get the 30% extra credit towards PS4. That's also one reason I never purchase refurbished electronics... Even though $200.00 refurbished Wii U seems tempting...

This is so wrong. How can you still look in the mirror and sleep at night?

driver116

You need to open it up and vacuum thoroughly. I did the same, then the top speed fan never came on again. It's quite straightforward but be very careful with the bluray ribbon connector.

I would recommend trying this first and then the thermal paste method if not, I'm pretty certain vacuuming is all you need to do.

Vashetti

Banned

You're an awful person.

I am having the same issue. I think I will need to find someone local to get this done for me, I am not gifted in opening stuff up lol.

Jawmuncher

EDIT: Had only read OPs post.
Looks like its a thermal paste issue. Better off sending it to Sony. Or trying to do it yourself. Though it sounds like you'd be better off sending it in.

Vashetti

Banned
buy a PS4?

Which can't play PS3 games?

If you want a easy but not nice fix put a fan right behind the system. It'll keep it cool and prevent it from overheating. Had a Wii that had the same issue and never dealt with that again.

Then if you really don't want that but something similar the inter cooler for once might actually help. Once again wii with the same issue bought that for it and i haven't had to mess with it since.

Bad idea. The back is where heat escapes. A fan just blows it back in.

I need to do this as well. PS3 sounds like an airplane and warms up my room so much. Actually have some thermal paste leftover from building a PC so should be set after a youtube vid

stn

Same issue here. Took it in for repairs, nothing helped. Hasn't YLOD'ed on me yet but I assume it will.

Yudoken

As someone who has access to read the temperature of my (and my friends) Slim PS3 I say that PS3s can get really hot even if they have enough space for fresh air.
I always start a application to manually change the fan speed to keep our PS3s cool.
It's terrible that Sony doesn't have done something about it (like enabling faster fan speed when the console gets hot).
Someone I know have a PS3 which keeps crashing/freezing while playing Fifa 14 and after checking out his console I was pretty sure that it would not survive this long if he doesn't do something to get some fresh cool air to it.

GeekyDad

You could try getting a can of compressed air and spraying (carefully) around the vents. Dust build-up can usually cause overheating in any computer devices.

Gundy2010

You're an awful person.

Well it's a risk factor they take, that's why all reburbished consoles get 1 year warrenty. The initial PS3 I bought had the exact same problem, and I was aware of the risk when I bought it used.

When I am finally done with it and decided to sell it to Gamestop, I informed the vendor that the console was 4 years old, and they acknowledged that risk when taking it in.

I totally understand why you think I'm awful, but what else can I do with it? I don't play it anymore; it has overheating problem but still capable of 4 hours straight, thus there is no way I dump it along with other recycled electronics in the garbage room.

Vashetti

Banned
Well it's a risk factor they take, that's why all reburbished consoles get 1 year warrenty. The initial PS3 I bought had the exact same problem, and I was aware of the risk when I bought it used.

When I am finally done with it and decided to sell it to Gamestop, I informed the vendor that the console was 4 years old, and they acknowledged that risk when taking it in.

I totally understand why you think I'm awful, but what else can I do with it? I don't play it anymore; it has overheating problem but still capable of 4 hours straight, thus there is no way I dump it along with other recycled electronics in the garbage room.

You could have sold it on eBay.

There is a genuine market on there for dead or near-dead PS3s.

Top Bottom