• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN account was permanently banned for no apparent reason (100+ Games/DLC lost)

epmode

Boss★Moogle;120625882 said:
It's the same with XBOX Live and Steam. If your account is permanently banned you lose access to all things tied to the account including full digital games, DLC etc...

Again, this hasn't been true for Steam for a few years. You will only lose the ability to purchase new games until the issue is sorted. Old purchases are safe to download and play.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Valve-Allows-Banned-Players-Games,15447.html

Two guys with Solaire avatars... I can't help but feel a little nervous.

Praise the sun brother

and those saying horror stories with paypal, I understand. However, paypal never did me wrong til then. Now i stick to mainly psn cards, but sometimes for the small transactions (like today when i got 8 games from the flash sale) I just used paypal. It still works majority of the time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There you go. OP, send Bamelin your PSN ID and i'm sure he'll fix the issue for you.

Nothing is guaranteed and either he gives him his PSN as Bamelin is clearly here to help but they can see what the issue is and if the TC isn't being forthcoming enough then...well that's that. I hope it sorts itself out.

Instro

It's the same with XBOX Live and Steam. If your account is permanently banned you lose access to all things tied to the account including full digital games, DLC etc...

As far as I am aware this is not true for Steam. GoG does not do this either.

XBP

Nothing is guaranteed and either he gives him his PSN as Bamelin is clearly here to help but they can see what the issue is and if the TC isn't being forthcoming enough then...well that's that. I hope it sorts itself out.

Naturally assuming that the OP is telling the truth. Now given that chargebacks can result in your account getting banned (on most services), i do believe that the OP isn't lying.

Companies ban your account just for charge backs? That's kinda ducked up and I never knew about it, bought most of my Steam games via PP... What a scary process if a chargeback happens which isn't your fault... Ugh.

Chargebacks are extremely damaging for retailers and a frequent form of fraud. EULAs for digital stores are usually extremely strict on that topic so people don't think they can casually get refunds that way without risking their entire account. Otherwise people would just buy every game and process a chargeback 30 days later so they can play anything for free.

breakfuss

I'm sorry to hear OP, and I haven't read throughout he entire thread...but isn't pretty clear the chargeback caused this?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Chargebacks are extremely damaging for retailers and a frequent form of fraud. EULAs for digital stores are usually extremely strict on that topic so people don't think they can casually get refunds that way without risking their entire account. Otherwise people would just buy every game and process a chargeback 30 days later so they can play anything for free.
True, but u still feel their should be a different way to handle them when it's obviously some kind of mistake - just banning a loyal customer who spend hundreds of dollars on your service because PayPal messed up a 5 dollar transaction seems... Dumb.

Banning the account means that they are willing to terminate all business transactions with the customers.

DCDW

Wow, sucks to hear soo many Paypal horror stories, as Paypal have been nothing but hasslefree for me and I've used them on soo many different online services. I noticed you said something about using Paypal to buy a card (a PSN card I presume). Did you know that you can add funds directly to your PSN Wallet via paypal from Sony's Online website (for whatever reason this option isn't available while trying to add funds through the actual Playstation).

steam doesn't do this

crippling your account from downloading stuff you bought (for any reason) in 2014 is absurd

Sorry to hear, that is unfortunate. Both Xbox and PS need to have a better system for digital purchases and bans. If they really want to push the digital purchase scenario they need to allow you to protect your purchases. Even if you break their terms of service, you should have access to games you own a digital license to (clearly there are some exceptions to this idea).

lucius

I am not using Paypal anymore even if this was because of something else, I always wondered why so many were starting to sour on them.

Doombear

If this comes down to a Paypal issue as was the case with Solaire number two, well... that is a bit alarming as that seemed like a good go to after the big ol eff up of just over three years ago now.

I really hope you get this resolved Solaire number one (don't fight about numeration, just going by order in this thread alone).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not since mid 2012. Valve's current nuclear option only prevents you from making new purchases in the store. Old purchases will install and run just fine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Valve-Allows-Banned-Players-Games,15447.html

The account restriction system came into place in February 2012, to be precise, and in addition to disabling store purchases, Valve also prevents users from activating CD keys and gifts (in other words, it's not possible to activate a new game at all). Indeed, if you really screw up, you may also be locked out of Steam Community entirely instead of just being unable to use the gifting/trading features. As I noted earlier, though, restrictions imposed due to chargebacks drop off automatically after nine weeks, so if you've no intention of resolving the issue and just want to play your games there's no need to contact Valve at all.

I don't have a PS4, is that exclusively a PS4 thing? I haven't been playing my PS3 much lately. That's crazy.

Possibly. I'm not sure.

Holy fucking shit op, I tried PayPal a couple of times and failed twice to purchase. Also I download once in a while demos from other regions.

Your situation made me regret a bit my decision to go mostly digital this last few years.

I hope you get your account back, good luck!

kitch9

Banned
Annnnnnd, I'll never buy a digital title again unless it's a digital exclusive. This is beyond fucked up.

Just don't ever use PayPal ever. They do chargebacks without your knowledge which fucks you in the ass.

Credit card companies would at least ring you to verify suspected transactions or just block your card from future transactions.

Safest way is to buy psn cards. Saying that Sony should realise that allowing customers to pay with PayPal exposes them to this.

Tevious

I'm going through and giving responses to comments I missed and will try to provide more details...

Pro tip: The "highest person" you can talk by phone is total bullshit. Any person who has worked tele-CS for a company can tell you this. At the time they start pulling that, threaten that they are infringing your goodwill, that you will not ever do business with them again, and tell them that you'll let others know of your horrible business. At the very-last scenario, tell them that you'd report his name as to not being helpful and uncooperative with your issue.

They should, at the very least, give you a back-door number or schedule a time in which you can speak with the higher-ups/someone who is in charge of that.

I did ask repeatedly to give me any contact information to anyone higher up and he wouldn't budge. I asked him what it is I am supposed to do if its an error on their part and he said there's nothing they can do; the account was permanently deleted. I told him that I would be informing the gaming press about this (so far just GAF) and would seek legal action if necessary for damages.

I mean, did you specifically speak with US Sony customer service? Did they give any indication of what specific reason it could be you were blocked? Did you try going through technical support as opposed to billing support or vice versa?

I spoke with the US Sony PlayStation Customer Service at 1-800-345-7669; a number that was given to me by a useless chat rep that couldn't do anything. It is my understanding they use the same phone number and have different departments that they transfer between.

That really wasn't my point though was it. I'm not trying to argue what should or shouldn't be in the TOS. Just don't pretend you don't know why you were banned when you can already list some things, and who knows how many other things you aren't going to willfully give up in a pity thread you make on a forum. If you are using a VPN to mask your IP I imagine you already know about region locking/region blocking.

The bigger point to me at least is yes, this is the problem with a digital future. You don't own anything just like pubs and devs want, you are just licensing/renting code from them like they want it to be.

But I don't know why I was banned. They haven't told me yet. Again, the things I listed that could be reasons are complete bullshit reasons on Sony's part to have an account permanently banned.

Also, I know how to configure my router per the instructions of the VPN company so I could watch Netflix/Amazon, which I pay for myself and am not sharing with anyone other than my mother who uses my old Fat PS3 for said services with her own PSN account. I don't think there's anything illegal about that.

Customer service: 1 (888) 221-1161
Paypal

Tell them an incorrect chargeback got you in trouble with Sony and see if they can help

Next on my to do list.

I would raise a shitstorm.

Did you share your account?

No, I do not share my PSN account. My mother accidentally signed on it once for a minute when I forgot to turn off auto-log in on my old Fat PS3 before I left to Korea. That's the extent of anyone else being on my account as far as I know.

This.

Yes we all know the BBB is technically a powerless toothless organization. The thing is, it still matters to companies like Sony and MS. If you try calling again, threaten them about taking it to the BBB. If they don't help after that. *Actually* take it to the BBB. I had to do that after MS refused to refund me money after my account got hacked a few years back and what do you know, they fixed that real quickly.

I will look into this too, thanks.

Sony is doing so many great things right now but their lack of customer service is a complete drag and gives me anxiety. They really need a reform of their whole CS procedure and structure. Any support team who doesn't assume positive intent with their customers is doing their brand a disservice.

Agreed. And they absolutely need to get something worked out with "permanently" banning accounts. If my account is truly irreversible even if they agree they were in the wrong and I have to get a new account, even with all my lost purchases restored, that's still really messed up. I don't care that much about Trophies, but to lose that, online progress, or even to lose access to past PS+ games that are not available anymore is fucked up.

Is there a distrust for using y'all credit/debit card?
Visa/MC itself have a fraud policy to refund you if there were unauthorized activities against your card.
After that, the bank will has its own policy during their fraud investigation.

And beside, giving out your card numbers is much better than giving out your banking account numbers. If someone gets a hold of your Paypal/3rd party processing company with your saved account # on file...welp, have fun.
You can easily replace the card since it actually just a separate identity, but changing new account # can possibility alter your recourse history, negative notes to your account, and automatic payments/deposits will be harder to fix if they require a physical check/paper to redo the automatic transactions again.
And beside, you have less work to do since you don't need to talk to another company to file a dispute.

PS: Those notes can efff you up if the banks believe you are trying to scam them with a lot of chargeback claims. Those notes will be shared with all banks/brokers in the industry... Please use your card since they don't care due to insurance policy with Visa/MC.

As I said in the OP, I used the PayPal option only because PSN was giving me errors at checkout. Sometimes it goes through with my card, other times it doesn't. The PS Store is really finicky and I've had the occasional problems with them for years. Although, I really regret not just going on amazon for a PS digital card like I usually do when I get this problem. I just saw the PayPal option conveniently there and just thought, "What the hell. Sure why not?" Little did I know what a fucking mess that would be.

Ugh, I use paypal to add funds to my wallet because adding my debit card never works. I'll be more careful about using it I guess. :/

NEVER USE THE PAYPAL OPTION, GUYS!

Did you give your old HD to someone else to use?

I reformatted it and use it as an external drive now. As far as I know, you can't just plug it into another PS3. The PS3 will know its a different drive and will reformat it. So its not like that would be a problem if I just gave it away.

Keep calling and be nice and you'll eventually speak to someone cool who will actually help you out and sympathize with you

All there is to it

It sucks that that happened to you but you can't take no for an answer with this type of bullshit and someone on the other side will acknowledge that at some point

I kept my cool with them and they still couldn't do anything for me.

OP what is your PSN name.

Same as here. Tevious

Sounds like you broke TOS by using a VPN to circumvent the digital region lock.

So I can't purchase games from the US store as a US citizen when traveling overseas? Even when using PS Cards to make said purchases from other sites? This somehow results in a permanent ban and deletion of my account? How has this not been a common problem for US citizens working abroad and military personal? I don't understand why this would even be an issue. And aren't PS3 games region free, anyway? Could they have banned me under concerns that I am a Korean using a US PSN account to bypass the Asian PS Store and download games cheaper or something? I don't even have any other PSN accounts, let alone for other regions.

Just don't ever use PayPal ever. They do chargebacks without your knowledge which fucks you in the ass.

Credit card companies would at least ring you to verify suspected transactions or just block your card from future transactions.

Safest way is to buy psn cards. Saying that Sony should realise that allowing customers to pay with PayPal exposes them to this.

I think its safe to say that you should only lose the ability to buy more games (until you deal with Sony to resolve the issue) with something like a chargeback (or really, anything you do). Wholesale entire account permaban is way too harsh for things where people could conceivably have spent thousands of dollars over many years for several devices.

It is absolutely emberassing that Sony's customer support is as awful as it is.

Best of luck to you, OP, don't let them get away with this.

thejpfin

Talking about PSN bans, can you get banned if you buy content from other region PSN? (lets say EU PSN users buys from US PSN).

Just curious. These PSN bans are always scary.

There should be some regulations that make companies give you a clear explanation in case of a ban. Feels shady they're not telling what specific rule was broken.

This, if it were a case of fraud or something, you should be given a chance to prove who you are and that it was a mistake.

Taker34

Banned
Talking about PSN bans, can you get banned if you buy content from other region PSN? (lets say EU PSN users buys from US PSN).

Just curious. These PSN bans are always scary.

Yes definitely. But Sony is/was rather liberal and didn't ban these people. Same with account sharing.

What I think is ridiculous is the fact that Sony can ban you for "exploiting" glitches which are purely the devs fault and team-killing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I thought you could still play your games that you've purchased offline?

Is there an ombudsman you can call to put some pressure on Sony?

OmegaDL50

I had this happen to me with my Steam account a few years back when my bank account was compromised due to a Paypal exploit and I had to freeze it so the problem could be resolved, just so happened some purchases on Steam at the time didn't complete because of this.

Thankfully I had bank records on hand proved unauthorized charges from HK was the source. (extremely odd withdrawals in small amounts like 10 cents, 35 cents, etc)

Steam fixed the problem when I sent them a copy of the records when my Bank Account unfroze.

I don't know why some would claim the OP has some hidden motive. Charge back issues with PayPal are common, which is why it's advised against using them as a funding source.

Tevious

I thought you could still play your games that you've purchased offline?

I can play my purchased games offline, but I can't download them ever again or play my PS+ games (which I had an ongoing subscription to until the end of 2015).

Is it possible someone used your PS4 at your mothers house and did something to get you banned?

Seeing as how its in a box right now and she's had no signs of intruders, no.

Top Bottom