• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My research into Metroid Prime’s gargantuan cut content.

Emitan

You haven't beaten it?! *shakes head*

I'm like halfway through but I only have like, 3 energy tanks. THINK ABOUT HOW HARD ITS BEEN. I don't know how to find items in this game like in the others. Its too confusing.

I swear the two of us are locked in an eternal battle where each of us has never finished a game the other holds sacred.

I'm like halfway through but I only have like, 3 energy tanks. THINK ABOUT HOW HARD ITS BEEN. I don't know how to find items in this game like in the others. Its too confusing.

I swear the two of us are locked in an eternal battle where each of us has never finished a game the other holds sacred.

I don't know you anymore.

linko9

Awesome topic, thanks so much for making it! I always felt MP was perfect for what it was, but it's interesting to see what didn't make it into the game.

SuomiDude

I got a feeling that with more time, Metroid Prime could've been even better than what it was. The axed bosses would've been great, and more environments as well. So many good ideas and more expansive world wasted makes me sad :(

Lindbergh

Praise of Metroid Prime makes me wish I didn't part with it.
Also, I wonder if the OP can delve into other cut-content territory: Famicom Final Fantasy IV.

Kamek

I wasn't too excited for an HD Metroid, but if Retro can really see it's brainchild to fruition, like some of these awesome concepts, I'm all for it.

It becomes easier once you get a certain visor later on in the game. Though that doesn't help you right now. :x You could always use a guide.
Think of it like I'm playing on Super Hard Nightmare Difficulty.
Which version are you playing? Wii or GC.

teepo

it's funny how metroid prime being one of my all time favorite games, i still haven't played any of the sequels nor do i intend to and i know i'm not alone on this.

I seem to remember that some gaming mag said that Super Metroid was to be included in Metroid Prime instead of the original NES Metroid.
I can't seem to remember if this is true or I am making this just up in my head.

Still, this thread is awesome.

TDLink

it's funny how metroid prime being one of my all time favorite games, i still haven't played any of the sequels nor do i intend to and i know i'm not alone on this.

Why exactly??? I am definitely of the opinion the first is the best but the other two are still outstanding games. If it is one of your all time favs why not play the other two?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for compiling this information. Outstanding stuff.

Rekubot

God I love these threads. Thanks so much for putting it all together, Mama Robotnik.

Chozo Ridley is an interesting idea. Love the design.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If this game was made today people would be crying and saying nintendo owes them all the cut stuff.

with that said.... HOLY FUCK MOTHER BRAIN IS SCARY

IrishNinja

Mama you make some of the best threads, seriously. great work here.

gotta wonder if any of this will make it somehow into the reboot Retro & those Uncharted artists are working...and jesus yeah, that Mother Brain is amazing.

also: having finally beat the game recently, it's not perfect but it's far better than i ever gave it credit for - and the amount of content doesn't at all strike me as having seen so many cuts, goddamn.
Prime kinda fascinates me...back in '03, a lesser-known western team is given one of the most beloved Nintendo franchises, tasked with the daunting job of the 2 to 3D transition, and goes with an first person view. nearly 10 years later, and any thread even proposing something like that reads like a nightmare scenario...yet look what we got.

KevinCow

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
insect4s5u7l.jpg

This is amazing. It's exactly the kind of thing I would expect from Space Pirate science. I'm kinda sad it didn't make it into any of the games.

Nibel

You rock, Mama. You rock.

And fuck those sites which doesn't respect your work and effort. Fuck them, no shame really?

Ledsen

Now THIS is actual gaming journalism. How many articles like these have you seen on dedicated sites?

Good lord, some of those concepts are genius. Retro were truly ahead of their time on some of them.

Fuck those websites claiming your work as their own. You're an awesome dude for pulling this off.

Which sites have been stealing mama's research? They should be called out.

I'm never sure to react when a master piece game like this has all this awesome looking cut content, on the one hand it looks totally awesome and I wish it had been included, but on the flip side the final product we got was so spectacular would trying to plug these in or replace certain bosses with them ruin the experience?

Really liking the Kraid boss, I'm still surprised we never once fought Kraid in a 3D Metroid.

Awesome threads as always Mama, can't wait for the next one.

While a lot of the cut content sure seems awesome as fuck, I'm not sure how much it would actually have benefitted the game. Kraid and Mother Brain would have been awesome, but perhaps would make the game scream Super Metroid copy too much.

Imo the Alternate Parasite Queen and Sheegoth Prime cuts are the biggest offenders. The Parasite Queen fight was rather tame, being a battle of pure strafing. It seems like they had intended her to move around. Would have been a much better fight.
Had they included the Sheegoth Prime and relocated Thardus in Magmoor Caverns it would pretty much have fixed the only parts were the pacing wasn't on par.

relaxor

what?
cr17tl3l.jpg

Beautiful work here Mama Robotnik, these are a treat. It seems to me that some of this stuff, like the 'continually evolving' impact crater concept art above, may have been been too taxing on the Gamecube.

I can't wait to see what Retro has in store for us on the old WiiU. Yowza.

7threst

Damn, I had no idea som many things didn't make the game eventually... so much good stuff and the game is already perfect as it is.

Mabase

Awesome post, Mama Robotnik! These concepts are fantastic and just show again the incredible vision and artistry Retro has. I cannot wait for their next game.

Rolf NB

A lot of this doesn't quite look like cut content, but things that changed during normal iteration processes. Like, say, Flaahgra's forest environment may have turned out too busy visually to play well, or may have been too taxing on the hardware. Ridley is in, mostly as shown. Thardus might originally have been a Magmoor boss, and all that changed was due to him being put in a different sector of the world. Omega Metroid may have been the original concept for Omega Pirate. Just like flying insectoid guy <=> jet-pack pirate.

The environment captures are recognizable as Chozo Ruins Plaza and a tunnel in Magmoor that is still in the first game. Maybe some platform moved around, yes. But they're not absent from the product as it was released.

I think it's pretty standard procedure to throw a lot of ideas around in the concepting stage, and then pick and choose the ones that seem the most promising and the most fitting. That's basically what I'm seeing in most of those examples.

Absence of Mother Brain is a bit of a bummer, yeah.

TUROK

Amazing thread. A handful of these pictures made me nostalgia like crazy. Now I really want to play through the whole series again.

This is great, that insect boss looks awesome, interesting to see that there were bigger plans for the impact crater which I guess would make it more similar to Phaaze in MP3

Whoa at that Super Metroid image, shame it never made it on the disc, that would have been amazing.

I only knew about Kraid and the huge 4 arm snow boss being cut, but all these other cut things, wow :O

Game was long and amazing already, adding these in would have been even more better.

I really need to replay Metroid prime also, lol I remember my brother and I breaking the gamecube cause we played it for so many hours straight.

Good research mama robotnik :D

Love this thread, love the Metroid Prime series, love the artwork, love Retro.

There's some truly beautiful stuff here, and it's a real shame we'll never get to fight/travel it.

gerudoman

Wow, amazing stuff as always. That dark possessed Ridley seems to perfectly fit in Echoes... I guess they had the Dark/Light mechanics in mind even before finishing first Prime.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I hope retro gets another shot at Metroid, especially after the mess that was Other M as a whole.

The DS would have been a perfect platform for a classic Metroid too, god Nintendo, if my nostalgia didn't love you I wouldn't mind hating you at the moment for what you've done and haven't done for this series.

Top Bottom