• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My research into Metroid Prime: Hunters and “Toon Metroid”

I want to see NST bring Metroid 2 to the 3DS using this engine. Make it scary as shit, dark, sparse and lonely. Give it to me!

Hey a spinoff thread, MPH was quite a solid multiplayer title for me, not really what one goes for with a Metroid game but oh well.
Couldn't help but notice a lack of Spire in the research, his ability to climb any wall must have caused a few headaches.

Really glad you guys have enjoyed all this. I've found some further tidbits, not Metroid related but I'll see if I can make threads with them at some point. I wonder if a "Mama Robotnik's Research Thread" with new content whenever I discover something, would be a little too self-agrindising?

Kinda misleading title and an odd conclusion with the whole "Toon Metroid" thing.

"Because some artist has some stylistic takes on Metroid characters in their portfolio, I conclude that it was the entire basis for a proposed/cancelled game!"

Another way of phrasing it: On a Nintendo staffer's professional portfolio, there are three unexplained concept images for the Metroid franchise that don't seem to connect to any known games. The development studio in question is known to have had many cancelled titles, some of which (like Project Hammer) were known to the public. There is a possibility (note that the OP uses this word and has done since the second it was posted) that the startling art in question could have belonged to a "Toon Metroid" styled unmade game concept. There is also the possibility that it doesn't, and is either some sort of unrecognisable very early MP:H art, or even just fanart that got put in the wrong web folder.

I don't recall using the word "conclusion" and am just trying to come up with ideas based on the discovered materials. I'm sorry if you found that misleading, it was not my intent. I'm just stating what I consider to be rational possibilities based on unexplained and very limited material.

Interesting like always but...

No 'Other M'? ..I know is not the most... accepted game but was kinda interested on seeing something similar about plans, changes, etc...or maybe it's harder to find info because of the development been from Team Ninja, in that case..no biggie. :p

I'd love to explore the development of Other M, like one would scrutinise a crime scene perhaps. It would be fascinating to explore how that happened, and I'd value any opportunity to juxtapose its development with the first Metroid Prime: One led by an experienced studio under the direct helm of the Super Metroid director and hyped to Hell (resulting in excrement), the other made by a relatively untested studio with massive and abrupt design changes, for a deeply cynical audience (resulting in the best game of its generation).

Alas, all my research techniques only work when the portfolio/blog/document/opendir is in English. I have never come across a Japanese-language game staffer portfolio at all, come to mention it.

It would be a damn interesting area to explore too.

Hello Mr Bullsquid, I did not expect to see you in a Metroid related thread.

Woah! I just compared it to the Bullsquid model and its not exactly the same, but as soon as I saw your post I was all "THAT's where I've seen it before!".

Great thread!

Hunters was probably the first Metroid game I played, the DS title I was most excited for, and subsequently the one that disappointed me the most. After playing the earlier Metroid Primes I realised that Hunters was in fact, a pale imitation with linear level design and overall structurally flawed.

Again, more finds after the fact. Found another image buried in the same Nintendo ST staffer's portfolio with the filename Pirate03:

FHt3I.jpg

Likely from the same mysterious project. I've edited it into the OP.

The gut looks like a Metroid, with three nuclei visible and three attached claws. Some sort of strange hybrid Pirate creature?

Brickhunt

For all it's faults. It was Hunters who introduced me to the Metroid Prime series. It wasn't a really a Metroid game, but it was good DS game and at least it had no BABY and PTSD Samus.

And the multiplayer was really awesome. It was Unreal tournament with a little mix of Metroid (alt-forms) It's a shame how hackers ruined it, but I enjoyed it a lot until that and although I'm glad for a SP focused MP3, I can't deny that I kinda missed be able to experience Hunter's multiplayer on the Wii and 3DS.

For me, Metroid will always be about single-player, but I still think there is still room for the multiplayer experience of Hunters in the series.

The Boat

Great work as usual. I loved Hunters, it was a great multiplayer game, a lot like Quake 3. Most people judge it as a classic Metroid game, which is a huge mistake so it gets a lot of undeserved flak. Hell, it wasn't even going to have a single player mode.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Am I the only one that really liked Hunters for what it was?

I loved it. Too many people look at it as an SP experience and ignore the godlike MP mode. Pretty hard to beat a Quake-style online shooter set in the Metroid universe.

I'd love to see a new one now that Nintendo has hardware that can support more than 4 players in one game.

PDFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
No point right now I'm still making discoveries and occasionally updating the OPs - see the new images and animations added into the Metroid Prime 1 thread a day or two ago. for example.

I might make a PDF when I've exhausted all avenues of inquiry - but believe it or not I've never made a PDF before.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hunters is a miserable 'Metroid' game, but it's an excellent Unreal Tournament mod. Sunk tons of hours into that sucker.

Nintendo should let Retro do an "Epic Mickey" style game where all the unused art designs and characters come out. It doesn't have to be legit story, but damn it would be so awesome. Some of this stuff is just too good to be left on the cutting room floor.

linko9

Pretty much. Although the multi was eventually crippled by cheaters and some balance issues.

Eventually? Shit was messed up real early. For one, there was no consequence for disconnecting, so that happened about 90% of the time when I was going to win. I really liked the MP on the rare occasion that it worked, but I had to give up about a week in.

Cool thread as always, Mama.

Kenka

Mama, is there a way you can dig into other Nintendo series ? I would be much interested in knowing what Nintendo did with the defunct Donkey Kong Racing:

DKRacing.jpg

How about something on Metroid Prime Pinball? :p
That was by a Western dev and was (imo) a damn good game.

...as for Hunters, it was so much fun until the hackers took over. I used to play it for freaking hours.

Lame bosses, but the gameplay and concept were enough to make it shine.

GamerSoul

Again, more finds after the fact. Found another image buried in the same Nintendo ST staffer's portfolio with the filename Pirate03:

FHt3I.jpg

Likely from the same mysterious project. I've edited it into the OP.

The gut looks like a Metroid, with three nuclei visible and three attached claws. Some sort of strange hybrid Pirate creature?

That pirate looks like he is fused with a Metroid. Look at its arm canon it seem like it's drooling :eek:

this guy

I sunk more hours than I'd care to admit into that multiplayer. Despite all of the issues, with disconnecting and the awful Nintendo servers between the chief troublemakers, I still had a ton of fun with that game. I knew every nook and cranny in every map. I knew the hard to reach places that you could only get to using chain bombs as Sylux's alt. I knew all the spots to get out of the map on every map. I knew exactly how much damage every weapon and bomb did. I got 5 stars as every character. I was unbeatable. And I did it all using the thumb strap.

I'm wondering just how much there was done on Metroid Dread, since I always assumed it more or less never started development until Prime 3 for some weird reason made a reference to it. It was meant to be a handheld game, right? Maybe Retro was going to implement some DS/Wii connectivity between Prime 3 and it; might mean a few of the artists Retro had contracted at the time have pieces related to it. It's a long shot, but the in-house Nintendo/Sakamoto side of things would be near impossible to find a leak from.

Mama, is there a way you can dig into other Nintendo series ? I would be much interested in knowing what Nintendo did with the defunct Donkey Kong Racing:

DKRacing.jpg

Basically didn't exist outside of the trailer Rare made for E3, was promptly after the buyout turned into a Sabreman game with an animal hunting/riding mechanic and never saw the light of day.

Triton55

MR, I know you've said a couple times that you couldn't find anything on the mythical "Sheik" game, but did you come across anything at all that could've been part of a non-Metroid/DK project? They had to be working on something in between MP3's release in August '07 and the staff exodus in April '08.
Excellent research, by the way.

It was so easy to just watch TV while playing this online, that's probably why I ended up playing it for much longer than I should have. Apart from Mario Kart this is the only online handheld game that has worked for me.

Brickhunt

Eventually? Shit was messed up real early. For one, there was no consequence for disconnecting, so that happened about 90% of the time when I was going to win. I really liked the MP on the rare occasion that it worked, but I had to give up about a week in.
Cool thread as always, Mama.
Yeah, that was really annoying. But it's like you said, when it worked it was a real likable experience. I feel most of these issues could be fixed in a sequel.

Come to think, I still haven't seen a portable FPS that surpassed the Hunters experience

MR, I know you've said a couple times that you couldn't find anything on the mythical "Sheik" game, but did you come across anything at all that could've been part of a non-Metroid/DK project? They had to be working on something in between MP3's release in August '07 and the staff exodus in April '08.

I've found some stuff from what I assumed was Retro's earlier projects, games I'm not familiar with. I kind of skimmed over it in favour of Metroid stuff, but might take a closer look at the weekend.

How about something on Metroid Prime Pinball? :p
That was by a Western dev and was (imo) a damn good game.

Fuse Games, right? Might have a look over the weekend see if anything appears.

Josh7289

Wow, DS character models look gorgeous with texture filtering. If only it had it....

And if only the Wii were HD, and if only the 3DS had dual analog contorls, and if only the Wii U had a capacitive touch screen... :X OKAY I'LL STOP NOW

I thought the same thing while looking at these renders, though. Lack of texture filtering just ruins things.

fernoca

I'd love to explore the development of Other M, like one would scrutinise a crime scene perhaps. It would be fascinating to explore how that happened, and I'd value any opportunity to juxtapose its development with the first Metroid Prime: One led by an experienced studio under the direct helm of the Super Metroid director and hyped to Hell (resulting in excrement), the other made by a relatively untested studio with massive and abrupt design changes, for a deeply cynical audience (resulting in the best game of its generation).

Alas, all my research techniques only work when the portfolio/blog/document/opendir is in English. I have never come across a Japanese-language game staffer portfolio at all, come to mention it.

It would be a damn interesting area to explore too.

Yea. Divided impressions aside, it would be interesting to see how and why they approached development; the way they did.

This thread also made me remember 2 things about 'Hunters'; specifically about the 'First Hunt-Demo':
-The music from the Morph Ball demo was really good, but I don't remember hearing it in the final game.
-The Touch-mode control on which you shoot at the enemies by tapping the screen, was not in the final game..which was my preferred control choice in the demo. Always wondered why, since its not like it was the default setup in the demo; so the option would've been nice to have...at least in my case.

XenoRaven

I've looked at this a few times, trying to figure what the hell is going on here. I've come to the conclusion that it looks like some sort of shapeshifting creature making itself look like Samus.

I've looked at this a few times, trying to figure what the hell is going on here. I've come to the conclusion that it looks like some sort of shapeshifting creature making itself look like Samus.

Gandrayda_Reveals.jpeg

Gandrayda? It's hard to tell from that art though.

Does anyone know why Metroid Prime turned into what looks a bit like an X Parasite?

Metroid Prime dying here.

Metroid_prime_final_form.jpg

Here's an X Parasite.

Core-X_Artwork.jpg

Oh yeah, Other M would be fascinating to get a look at how its development went. Obviously Sakamoto has a great deal of talent since he still seems to work on a lot of non-Metroid franchises, but every single negative element from the game whether it was Team Ninja or someone else seems to of been pinned on him in interviews. I'm not going to pretend the story wasn't atrocious nor mostly his fault, but I do have a feeling he was an easy scapegoat when the game bombed. Couldn't of some design issues have stemmed from Nintendo wanting M:OM being the game that helped the series break out into the Japanese market and having a bit too much hands on for once?

Top Bottom