• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My review of too human!

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Dave Long said:
Heh... that's kind of how it is nowadays. No one wants to hear what anyone else has to say about a game unless it either A) Matches what they think exactly or B) Is something they can call out as advertorial.

I don't think that's it at all. Nobody cares about the difference of opinion.

It used to be okay to make single threads with just your impressions, but now that everything has an Official Thread it's considered egotistical and wasteful to make a separate thread just for your own thoughts.

At the same time, people don't see much point in writing detailed impressions if they are going to receive a couple responses and then be lost to nothingness on page 15 of 49 in some Official Thread.

So you either make your own thread and get jeered or post in the Official Thread and get ignored. I'd imagine that is why not as many people post large write-ups any more.

goldenpp72

Chrange said:
"Aside the story is the menus and their general layout, which is something too human also fails at greatly, the hud is jumbled and confusing with no real way to tell what does what, sure once you figure it all out the hud is fine but in general it's too difficult to figure out..."

Does NOBODY read the fucking manual anymore? It was what...about three pages? Surely you could find the time!

The manual from what I read (later on) doesn't go into charms or ruins a lot, but even so, most games nowadays do not require a manual to learn. Does the manual mention that rolling gives you invincibility frames? (never thought i'd use that term)

I guess the problem here is that, a lot of the people bitching probably don't even own 360s or care about too human, but some people might be sincerely interested and, most reviewers dont get down to the nitty gritty. Too human is fun for the co op, nice people and the looting and for some reason is just strangely addicting in ways not easily put in words, much like a lot of looting games really.

I mean, phantasy star online is one of my personal favorites and when breaking that game down it doesn't seem so good, but too human is very lacking in polish and balance. On another note, because of how reviews work they can't really get a full sense of the online community, too human right now has one of the most pleasant xbox live communities i've ever seen, so while that shouldn't be factored into a review it might factor in to a purchase, I have yet to hear anyone drop a racist or hateful term in any games i've hosted.

Shins

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Another annoying bit is the redundant voice clips, this is one of the more embarrassing aspects of too human. Most noticeable in the third level, thor repeats the same 4 lines maybe 100 times, but if you want to know what's even more funny, he has a conversation with one of the games enemies, not directly, but he is talking to him from afar, and you want to know what happens? Thor says one thing and the enemy says the same thing over and over, do you know how awkward it is to not only have one character speak the same line over and over but to have another repeat his line in response as well? That doesn't happen in real life or any movie, or even most games, seriously.
Did you think ODIN was the only one to master the runes?!

Good game, overall. Solo, its a great distraction for me to mess with while listening to a podcast or music. Just zoning out with it for a while. Co-op, given the added enemies and difficulty, demands more attention, but playing with a friend, and especially, with a friend who's class compliments your own, is very enjoyable.

Lots of stupid or embarrassing flaws, but the enjoyment pushes through that. It's also broken me out of a certain snobbiness I've felt lately about only playing the games that are rated as top-tier. Its just fun.

goldenpp72

Shins said:
Did you think ODIN was the only one to master the runes?!

Good game, overall. Solo, its a great distraction for me to mess with while listening to a podcast or music. Just zoning out with it for a while. Co-op, given the added enemies and difficulty, demands more attention, but playing with a friend, and especially, with a friend who's class compliments your own, is very enjoyable.

Lots of flaws, but it broke me out of a certain snobbiness I've felt lately about only playing the games that are rated as top-tier. Its just fun.

Are you really that stupid thor?

Are you really that stupid thor?

Even baldur can best these beast!

Even baldur can..

robot

Tried really hard to like the demo but the combat just felt really sloppy. Then I almost picked it up since I was kinda bored waiting for Castle Crashers. Then I started to remember how uch I hated the demo. And then I clicked on this thread. Glad you posted your impressions - there's just too many negatives in there to push me over the fence. As much as your enjoying the game, at least you were honest to admit it's faults.

This place needs more enthusiastic impressions and less zingers. Or at least less of the same god damn zingers.

goldenpp72

The demo is an excellent example of the game really, aside a lack of co op, but most of you are smart enough to know what co op would bring to a game. The first level is sadly my favorite one.

PhatSaqs said:
I remember when GAF used to like this sort of thing.
There's a difference between not bumping a really old thread/doing a LTTP thread and making a new thread when there's 2 Too Human threads, one of them for reviews alone, still on the top pages.

Won

border said:
I don't think that's it at all. Nobody cares about the difference of opinion.

It used to be okay to make single threads with just your impressions, but now that everything has an Official Thread it's considered egotistical and wasteful to make a separate thread just for your own thoughts.

At the same time, people don't see much point in writing detailed impressions if they are going to receive a couple responses and then be lost to nothingness on page 15 of 49 in some Official Thread.

So you either make your own thread and get jeered or post in the Official Thread and get ignored. I'd imagine that is why not as many people post large write-ups any more.

I'm all for seperate (user) review threads for big games. And Too Human has a review thread, so why not use it?

jax (old)

Banned
so many apologists for this games. Almost everyone speaking about it will criticise it to death. many many flaws but oh wait...

/snore

goldenpp72

Tobor said:
Permission to kick ass, sir?

We're wolves, you take on one of us you take on all of us.

Also, some of the people of gaf need to get out more and that means a lot coming from someone who spent the last 5 days in too human land. It's a single string of text you can easily avoid on the precious 1st page, let people who care read it and discuss it, if no one cares i'm not going to keep it on the first page, I write these reviews not only to express an opinion but to also regulate my own, when putting all the flaws and pros on one spot I can really figure out a balanced feeling on the game for myself.

too human is very emotional in that way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I do miss those (as well as writing them on occasion). :(

In general, I have no problems with threads like these provided the content warrants such a thread.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Shins said:
Lots of stupid or embarrassing flaws, but the enjoyment pushes through that. It's also broken me out of a certain snobbiness I've felt lately about only playing the games that are rated as top-tier. Its just fun.
Nail head. Seriously. The game is damn addictive fun. I'm starting to agree with DD when he said "people just dont get Too Human". You really dont get it until you've sat down and played it. He may be a little zany but I think he's right. The demo thread is a perfect example of this. Plenty of people were like "yuck" when they first played it. But after sitting down with it things changed for plenty of them including me.

The game is different and does plenty of things right that make it enjoyable. I'm really hoping MS signs them up for the sequels.

Good review. I agree with most of what you said... although I personally rated it a 8 on youtube video review. I can say this much. I've had more fun with Too Human then some other higher profile games and thats what matters the most. Fun Factor.

goldenpp72

PhatSaqs said:
Nail head. Seriously. The game is damn addictive fun. I'm starting to agree with DD when he said "people just dont get Too Human". You really dont get it until you've sat down and played it. He may be a little zany but I think he's right.

The game is different and does plenty of things right that make it enjoyable. I'm really hoping MS signs them up for the sequels.

I agree, for all the things done wrong in too human I see the potential for it to become my favorite looting action rpg ever. The one thing that did surprise me is how fun the right stick combat can be, it certainly isn't a devil may cry or ninja gaiden but it really is nothing like them either, the game has so many similarities to games like phantasy star online so it's best to compare them.

Too human would probably gain another point just from the 4 player co op alone, though the netcode seems a bit sloppy, has anyone else died for no reason online when not hosting?

Tobor

PhatSaqs said:
Nail head. Seriously. The game is damn addictive fun. I'm starting to agree with DD when he said "people just dont get Too Human". You really dont get it until you've sat down and played it. He may be a little zany but I think he's right. The demo thread is a perfect example of this. Plenty of people were like "yuck" when they first played it. But after sitting down with it things changed for plenty of them including me.

The game reminds me of Earth Defense Force in a way, which is not a bad thing in the least. Cheesy, good fun.

GPsych

Personally, I liked the long write-up in the OP. It certainly beats a review that just says, "Dyack?! LOL!" and that's it.

Too Human is on my list to buy, but I don't have any truly great expectations for it. It looks just like a fun game to play, even if it's not the next great epic. This review pretty much coincides with what I am expecting. Good write-up!

-G

Shins

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Too human would probably gain another point just from the 4 player co op alone
Easily, though with the netcode straining a bit as it is, I'm scared to think about what bugs might creep in with four players. But dashing around with a friend is just awesome, and adding in two more jumping jacks would be amazingly chaotic in the best way.

Though, the next game would need either wider environments or completely restructured levels for 4 player co-op, because as it is, I feel like there just isn't enough space for everyone to go to town.

If this game didn't have all the drama behind it all and the whole "10 years, not 10 years" issue, or had a low profile developer... I bet alot more people would give this game a try and a lot more people would be damn surprised.

goldenpp72

Well one point I wanted to make is not to mention the games '10 year dev cycle' or throw in a line 'was it worth the wait?', for some reason a lot of people seem to like.. put a games worth versus its long development cycle, I dont care if a game takes 10 years to make if it's still good.

also, I wouldn't use scores but some people really need them to just have a mental gauge, for me the game was a great buy because I enjoy co op and looting, but that genre has a limited appeal and in reality, the game did fail on one of its most pompous promises of being some amazing, game changing merger of movies and games. The story is passable but many other games have better, more involved stories (mass effect)

I am all for a game not being one thing but becoming another though, it doesn't need to be the things they promise if it ends up being something just as good.

Wurm

Banned
It is very strange to see this game having "converted" people. It also seems that each time it does, they almost always have to broadcast this or suggest that we're all snobs for not being able to look past all of its crippling letdowns. Perhaps its because we're in a lull of non-DLC AAA titles (the money spent on Braid, Bionic Commando, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars 2 equals at least one HD game), as I think by the end of the year after all the AAA stuff has hit, this title will not be looked back on fondly at all.

Cj70

I'm looking forward to playing it and if the demo is a good indication like you say then I will enjoy it and my friend is getting it too so even better.

I just hope silicon knights are willing to listen to the genuine complaints people who enjoy the game are making such as yourself when making the sequels and don't just ignore all the criticisms and make all the same mistakes again.

My main worry is that they will put all criticisms down to people not understanding what they were trying to do like they did before this game came out.

Anyway yea, looking forward to Friday thanks for the impressions (ignore the haters threads like these are good to read for people still on the fence about buying games).

FightyF

Banned
thuway said:
When did Neogaf turn into Gametrailers forums?

MBs like NeoGAF used to be like this when there were far less posters, so think of it as a return to form.

But it would be unfeasible nowadays as the forum would be cluttered bigtime.

Definitely better to have these in the official threads.

goldenpp72

Wurm said:
It is very strange to see this game having "converted" people. It also seems that each time it does, they almost always have to broadcast this or suggest that we're all snobs for not being able to look past all of its crippling letdowns. Perhaps its because we're in a lull of non-DLC AAA titles (the money spent on Braid, Bionic Commando, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars 2 equals at least one HD game), as I think by the end of the year after all the AAA stuff has hit, this title will not be looked back on fondly at all.

I don't think people who don't buy it are snobs or something, I do think the game has a very.. frightening amount of hate for what it basically code and a disc, I know that dyacks silly behavior is what caused a lot of it, but too human stands pretty well as a fun, addictive game. Most people won't put it among the gears of wars or halos but will probably like it more like how some people enjoy heavenly sword, warhawk or blue dragon, just because it doesn't rate highly or has flaws doesn't mean it isn't worth a spot in your collection.

For some of us, but I can see why people would not like too human as well so the only crowd I really dislike are the mindless bashers who probably never even tried the demo for more than 10 minutes.

Shins

Banned
Wurm said:
I think by the end of the year after all the AAA stuff has hit, this title will not be looked back on fondly at all.
And for someone whose experience came from third-hand accounts, I guess that will be imporant. I'm looking forward to Fable 2. My friend and I were playing Too Human last night and talking about how that game should be just a great time in co-op. But possibly having more fun later doesn't discount the very real fun I get to have right now. :p

And if no one wanted to voice their negative opinions of the game as soon as the opportunity presents itself, we'd still be rocking on Page 1. People wanting to voice their positive impressions isn't different.

Wurm said:
I think by the end of the year after all the AAA stuff has hit, this title will not be looked back on fondly at all.

I think your wrong on that.. The people that really get into this game will continue to play this game for months. Also its very much pick up and play for a bit, get some loot, and continue another day.

goldenpp72

Cj70 said:
I'm looking forward to playing it and if the demo is a good indication like you say then I will enjoy it and my friend is getting it too so even better.

I just hope silicon knights are willing to listen to the genuine complaints people who enjoy the game are making such as yourself when making the sequels and don't just ignore all the criticisms and make all the same mistakes again.

My main worry is that they will put all criticisms down to people not understanding what they were trying to do like they did before this game came out.

Anyway yea, looking forward to Friday thanks for the impressions (ignore the haters threads like these are good to read for people still on the fence about buying games).

I share the same concerns sadly, i'm most concerned by the fact if they do greenlight the sequels that they may be rushed to finish in this generation (as they should) and not fix and rebalance the game a lot for us.

Really.. in a perfect world i'd love for SK to read topics like this and other impressions and really rethink things, make a few patches and content updates for too human 1 and then go to town on the sequel and bring it to great levels. with dyack being banned though there won't be any comments from him, but even if he wasn't he might just tell me 'I don't get it' (I do get it)

Shins

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I share the same concerns sadly, i'm most concerned by the fact if they do greenlight the sequels that they may be rushed to finish in this generation (as they should) and not fix and rebalance the game a lot for us.
This gen's .hack :- |

border

If Fable 2's co-op extends beyond 4 levels with 5-6 bosses then yes, I think Too Human will likely be put to shame.

Shins

Banned
border said:
If Fable 2's co-op extends beyond 4 levels with 5-6 bosses then yes, I think Too Human will likely be put to shame.
I hope that playing co-op will alter the game a good amount and make good use out of the extra player with more/tougher enemies and such. If its too easy, I could see it getting boring. All the co-op videos I've seen had very little focus on the combat, and instead showed off interacting with NPCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom