• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My two OG XBOX are no longer working, should I get rid of them?

Both have been tanks but unsure of the resources now to fix. Is it worth it to fix them? I tried googling but could only come up with newer xbox results

bender

What time is it?
Trade them for some broken Elite Controllers.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Both have been tanks but unsure of the resources now to fix. Is it worth it to fix them? I tried googling but could only come up with newer xbox results

Probably just need a good cleanup. Over time sensors, connectors/conduits, circuit boards and power supplies get caked with debris. Everything from cigarette smoke tar, to household dust/grease (from cooking). Just take your time and clean the innards out and the controller. There's a lot of tutorials out there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Trade them for some broken Elite Controllers.

At first I thought someone created a parody of that other thread. Hard to be a coincidence lol.

Last edited:

angrod14

You can try to get them fixed, but keep in mind everything has a lifespan. There's only so many times you can repair something until it completely dies or replacement parts become unavailable, especially if we're talking about electronics.

XTERC

OG XBOX consoles are relatively easy to repair. Depending on the revision of motherboard it could be the clock 'supercap' (most common failure) or a set of electrolytic capacitors. You can buy a pre-sorted bag of capacitors at Console 5. I've never come across an XBOX that isn't repairable.

Probably just need a good cleanup. Over time sensors, connectors/conduits, circuit boards and power supplies get caked with debris. Everything from cigarette smoke tar, to household dust/grease (from cooking). Just take your time and clean the innards out and the controller. There's a lot of tutorials out there.
This. I had to do this a couple times with my original PS2 and it still runs perfectly.

Fix that's shit. There are a bunch of games you can't play anymore. I know I just got a series x as a gift (first Xbox ever always been pc, Nintendo, Sony guy) so been downloading and purchasing used older titles, what sucks is there are games that don't work on the series consoles. That's where a og x box or 360 would come in.

You can also emulate it on pc, although that would require a pc hookup or streaming system to do it right. I use steam link, still nice having the actual hardware though.

Don't listen to fools telling you to throw away old stuff. Most older systems are worth money and they have sentimental value. Memories and I regret getting rid of so many systems, games, etc for a quick fix. Nah keep it get it repaired. Enjoy it. Play some black, ghost recon, Simpsons hit and run, morrowind, etc..

Fix that's shit. There are a bunch of games you can't play anymore. I know I just got a series x as a gift (first Xbox ever always been pc, Nintendo, Sony guy) so been downloading and purchasing used older titles, what sucks is there are games that don't work on the series consoles. That's where a og x box or 360 would come in.

You can also emulate it on pc, although that would require a pc hookup or streaming system to do it right. I use steam link, still nice having the actual hardware though.

Don't listen to fools telling you to throw away old stuff. Most older systems are worth money and they have sentimental value. Memories and I regret getting rid of so many systems, games, etc for a quick fix. Nah keep it get it repaired. Enjoy it. Play some black, ghost recon, Simpsons hit and run, morrowind, etc..
One of my biggest gaming regrets is selling my consoles and games from childhood to FUCKING GameStop. I got my money back and then some from the stupid stock run but I'll never get back the sentimental value of possessing my original brand new copies and systems. Thankfully, Xbox (and PS2) was around by the time I was a teenager back in 2001 and I was smart enough to keep my system and games in great condition over the years. I do miss my original PSX and N64, as well as Sega and NES. Ah well. Moral of the story, keep your shit unless it's absolutely fragged and unfixable because it got shot with a .50 cal or something.

Sleepwalker

OG xbox are notorious for having leaky capacitors, I suggest opening it up and checking for inflated or already busted caps, they'll leak all over the board and cause damage if left unattended.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just emulate the games you own, play og xbox games in superior fashion. This is why physical from 20+ years ago isn't a huge deal/end of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dis

simpatico

Try to get one fixed. The things you can do with an OG Xbox are awesome. It would take some YouTube University time, but you could turn that thing into an amazing gaming box in one long afternoon struggle downloading.

cireza

Capacitors need to be changed. If they leaked it needs cleaning, hopefully it won't have damaged the consoles.

OG Xbox are great systems you can do a lot of things with them. At least don't throw them, sell them for parts. Someone will make them work again.

Topher

Gold Member

91nZ0Q-zJyL.jpg

Stay dry my man

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Fantastic attitude that you actually want to repair very old tech, but throw em away (in the electronics recycle bin) and move on to new and better tech!

StereoVsn

I think OG Xbox has some capacitors that need replacement. Probably battery for system clock as well but they won’t brick the system.

Tsaki

No. Send them to a repair shop and stash them in a garage. Sell them 20 years from now with a significant ROI

El Muerto

Remove the clock capacitor. Easy fix. The location of the capacitor varies depending on which revision you have.

SHA

Emulators aren't a gray area as many people think, it's just a deceleration of what you already own, and you don't need permission to improve your experience either.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Emulators aren't a gray area as many people think, it's just a deceleration of what you already own, and you don't need permission to improve your experience either.
Using emulators isn't what you get sued for. What you get sued for is downloading the games. There's little gray area when someone gets caught downloading games. Unless you're dumping your physical games at home yourself you're at risk.

Top Bottom