• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Vita Experience

I love my Vita !

Amazing little machine, very very underrated !

I use my Vita for a lot of things. Games, Netflix, Music...

The understock probably has to do with Sony not expecting these sales...

m@cross

Thank you for posting this; makes me all warm inside when I think about getting one used for $130 right after the PS4 reveal : )

SerTapTap

Thank you for posting this; makes me all warm inside when I think about getting one used for $130 right after the PS4 reveal : )

Lucky. Wish I bought a second OLED Vita when they were going for cheap. Nothing under $200 on amazon right now.

There are barely any damn units to buy since may. I was going to buy a vita 2000 to try it out/less wear on Dat OLED but I can't get one that's not refurbed or imported to this day (online).

I'm not interested in arguing anyone's crazy theories. NPD does not show any kind of significant demand.

Here's a Vita 2k for you. You're welcome.
They're also available on Best Buy and Amazon right now. They're always available on eBay and Craigslist.

gloone

As an owner of a Vita and a PS4 with a bunch of games I just want you to know that even though the streaming works great technically most games are pretty much unplayable thanks to the missing button.

I can't think of a single game on my PS4 that don't use R2/L2/R3/L3 and using the touch screen as a replacement rarely feels good.

SerTapTap

I'm not interested in arguing anyone's crazy theories. NPD does not show any kind of significant demand.

They're also available on Best Buy and Amazon right now. They're always available on eBay and Craigslist.

Last I checked on Amazon they were all third party sellers. They might have restocked since, but refurbished and scalped units don't show up on NPD, do they? Also going from 3K to 56K definitely shows significant demand increase relative to prior months...if we ignore that Vitas were also very hard to get the prior month because stock fell off before the Vita 2000 bundle hit too.

SmokyDave

US Vita shortages have been widely noted and discussed since April. NPD isn't supposed to track the number of people that want to buy things but can't find them.

I'm not surprised you're sceptical, but it looks pretty obvious that there have been, and continue to be shortages of readily available stock.

antibolo

Banned
Vitas are easy to find online OP, why not just buy one online? It's 2014 y'know.

IIRC, the last few NPDs look like:

March: 3k
May: 56k
June: 14k

So... not really. May was when the 2k hit.

Going from 3k to 14k sounds like a pretty significant increase to me.

Still very niche-level numbers of course, but an increase still.

SCEA is hilariously incompetent and ordered far too few Vita 2000 bundles, and no non-bundle Vita 2000s. Vita 2000 turned out to be quite popular, compared to base Vita demand. Ta daaaa.

It's a great console, but the current out-of-stock situation is mostly because SCEA dropped the ball hardcore more than anything else. Demand is certainly above flatline, but supply is currently the limiting factor not excessive demand (e.g. this isn't a first 4 months of PS4 release situation).
I wouldn't call them hilariously incompetent, but this is the most likely scenario.

I think SCEA basically resigned the system to failure. This was pretty obvious during E3. And why wouldn't they? Sales were bad and no one could have predicted that the 2000 Borderlands bundle would sell as well as it has.

So here we are. SCEA has written the Vita off, but sales are finally picking up. Hopefully they realize the potential and rework their business plan before they miss out on this momentum.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OP said:
While paying, the store the manager of the GameStop (fantastic person/salesman/experience btw) said this was the first Vita they had in stock in a very long time. They had gotten several phone calls that day asking for my Vita for themselves. He said the demand for Vita has exploded as of late and Sony can't seem to get them stock quick enough.

Gamestop lies. People died.

If "demand has exploded" then why can't you find the system? Sony stopped shipping out units because they sell slow/barely any demand. Such a spin lie, Gamestop employee.

Corto

I'm getting scared now... If my ole 1000 kicks the bucket... I think I'll get a new 1000 replacement now just to be safe.

edit: And Sony last financial report showed a slight increase in portable hardware sales YOY, so Vita seems to be on a marginal resurgence.

Vitas are easy to find online OP, why not just buy one online? It's 2014 y'know.

Best buy had the bundle on sale but I didn't want to wait for shipping so I checked out GameStop and I had eh option to pick up from the store. Went that option.

Really I created the thread to discuss what was happening in my city at the storefronts. I obviously know online is always an option though Amazon prices are awful.

Gamestop lies. People died.

If "demand has exploded" then why can't you find the system? Sony stopped shipping out units because they sell slow/barely any demand. Such a spin lie, Gamestop employee.
the guy said he had several phone calls throughout the day wanting my Vita. He called me later that afternoon to see if I was going to pick it up because if I wasn't, he was tired of the calls and wanted it off the inventory list online.

Take that for what you will.

so i'm about to order a vita...how do you guys choose which version of cross platform games to buy? like MGHD and FFXHD? I would assume PS3 version would be a no brainer with remote play, but i've heard people say to grab the vita version. Can someone explain this to me?

Mihos

Gold Member
so i'm about to order a vita...how do you guys choose which version of cross platform games to buy? like MGHD and FFXHD? I would assume PS3 version would be a no brainer with remote play, but i've heard people say to grab the vita version. Can someone explain this to me?

PS3 doesn't have very many remote play games..... hardly any actually. Don't confuse cross save with remote play.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've often found the Vit versions better. The load times are better on Vita as well in FFX/X2.

Qwark

Depends on the game. Most games perform better on PS3, but I prefer FFX on Vita just because it feels good to have on handheld. Very, very few PS3 games have remote play, fyi, neither of those collections do.

All PS4 games that don't use the camera or other accessories have remote play though. Honestly, remote play would be absolutely perfect if the Vita had 2 extra shoulder buttons. Without it... it's a bit uncomfortable.

Depends on the game. Most games perform better on PS3, but I prefer FFX on Vita just because it feels good to have on handheld. Very, very few PS3 games have remote play, fyi, neither of those collections do.

All PS4 games that don't use the camera or other accessories have remote play though. Honestly, remote play would be absolutely perfect if the Vita had 2 extra shoulder buttons. Without it... it's a bit uncomfortable.

so do you go with the vita version for most games? I guess its a weigh in between large TV or portability?

FranXico

You can buy Vitas in Europe with no problem, they are not setting the world on fire but they are available and even I see people buying them sometimes while I'm on a store

Yup, I see the same here in Belgium. In fact, cheap Vita 1000 bundles are still easy to find.

FranXico

PS3 doesn't have very many remote play games..... hardly any actually. Don't confuse cross save with remote play.

Cross save is a much more pleasant experience than remote play. Provided the game also has cross buy, of course.

This is what is on my vita at this moment in time.

Crash2.jpg

Destiny is awesome via Remote Play btw.

It doesn't use the back touchpad. On the front screen, the left side is grenade, middle is the traveler, and the right side is melee. The only thing thats a lil weird is you have to hit the down arrow while holding the thumbstick to start running but you get use to it pretty quick.

JCX

You mean Crash isn't licensed for Vita in the US?

There was a thread back in april when a loophole allowed a bunch of PSX games like Crash to be used on Vita. Think Sony closed it though. Sucks because the games work just fine.

I'm a big off-tv play person, but I didn't enjoy it much with 3D games. Destiny had a good setup though.

Qwark

so do you go with the vita version for most games? I guess its a weigh in between large TV or portability?

Honestly, I go with the PS3 version more often than not as most games have serious concessions for the portable version (BL2). FFX just feels right on handheld though because of its grindy goodness. The only other games I would choose on Vita, Rainbow Moon (very grindy SRPG), Dragon's Crown (unless you want to play local MP on PS3, both are part of PS+ starting next Tuesday!), and other grindy stuff like Disgaea.

It helps that a lot of the games are cross-buy though, Sly Cooper 4 is great on Vita despite having slightly worse graphics and longer loading times. Also, just started playing Rogue Legacy, very great game on PS4 or Vita. Most other Indie games I typically play on Vita over PS3/PS4.

I spoke with a Best Buy GM the other day and he said that he was told not to expect any more Vita consoles or accessories. He believes that Best Buy will just keep a very small amount of inventory for the website, but that stores will no longer stock it.

ksdixon

I believe recent/forthcoming releases on PS4 and PSVita, namely The Last Of Us Remastered, Borderlands 2 on Vita and Destiny make the Vita very attractive, either for Remote Play or for it's own games.

Not to mention that many people who now have PS+ because it's a requirement for multiplayer online play on PS4 are getting a steady collection of Vita games that they want to take advantage of.

I believe Sony should strike whilst the iron is hot, especially if the PSVita has been relegated to a PS4 companion device, that they should release a new Vita SKU with L2/R2 buttons and clickable L3/R3 sticks.

De_Legend

Banned
I spoke with a Best Buy GM the other day and he said that he was told not to expect any more Vita consoles or accessories. He believes that Best Buy will just keep a very small amount of inventory for the website, but that stores will no longer stock it.

What?

Why not if there is demand for it?

vireland

I've been in the market for a Vita for a few weeks now. This has been a recent development honestly, mostly because I want to game more on my ps4 but can rarely play because the tv is being used by other members of the family. With so many good ps4 games on the horizon, I don't want to buy them and have them sit around waiting for the odd moment to play.

Anyway, I thought finding a Vita was going to be easy. I looked online and found a few but the prices weren't what I was looking for. I went to my local Target and they had nothing. My local gamestop had a used OLED version on sale but the screen had a huge scratch on it..and nothing else. The salesperson said maybe they would get a few in late August.

I went online again to see what stock was available at gamestops around the large metropolitan city I live in. Only 2 stores had them in stock, but that stock was really low. I quickly put one on hold and picked up my brand new Vita last night. While paying, the store the manager of the GameStop (fantastic person/salesman/experience btw) said this was the first Vita they had in stock in a very long time. They had gotten several phone calls that day asking for my Vita for themselves. He said the demand for Vita has exploded as of late and Sony can't seem to get them stock quick enough. 9000 units were sent out recently to the 4000 GameStop stores, giving only 2 to sell, and they aren't on the shelf for long.

So why is the Vita suddenly in such demand? Am I the typical customer where the portable is now an attractive buy due to next-gen meets convenience? Or maybe Sony has pulled back on production and is creating the short supply themselves?

OLED Vita units new are TREMENDOUSLY hard to find because they've been being phased out since like Jan/Feb in anticipation of the Borderlands 2 bundle with the new (crappier) LCD screen. I know because we almost didn't get enough to give away for our CoH2G promotion - and that was only FOUR.

My advice? Wait for a coupon code deal at cowboom and get a used condition 6 or 7 OLED unit with all the accessories for $99. I've been stockpiling them and the WORST one has come in with very light scratches on the back. Most of them look like new.

vireland

It's insane. I was on vacation in the US these past 10 days and only saw 1 Vita on shelves during my whole stay.

If anyone's around the Elk Grove area in CA, it might still be there.

That's the LCD version - crappy. Gamestop.com has 7000 of them in stock, but it isn't the model you want. The better OLED screen in the original unit is worth the lesser battery life and slightly chunkier unit, which is why they are nigh impossible to find now.

vireland

I have the LCD version and had the OLED version. There's nothing severely "crappy" about the Vita 2000. It's a better handheld device than the OG.

Glad you're happy with it. The colors are substantially less saturated and rich on the LCD unit. I am not happy with that, and I think, side by side, many others would choose the OLED if they had a choice.

People just need to be informed and they can make their own choice. The Borderlands2 bundle is the LCD version.

antibolo

Banned
I have yet to experience a 2000 model in person, but I'm still not convinced that they're objectively worse than the original. The screen is the only arguably inferior change, but then again it's not like OLED is a perfect technology anyway (burn-in issues, mura effects, oversaturated colors, etc.)

Kodros

Destiny is awesome via Remote Play btw.

It doesn't use the back touchpad. On the front screen, the left side is grenade, middle is the traveler, and the right side is melee. The only thing thats a lil weird is you have to hit the down arrow while holding the thumbstick to start running but you get use to it pretty quick.

I really hope they give us the option to use the back touchpad. I don't find it as horrible as many people seem to find it but double tapping the back to run on Killzone Merc worked really well. Also, having to remove your thumb from the analog stick to throw a grenade is crap because you have to aim first before you throw it instead of being able to adjust it on the fly.

vireland

I have yet to experience a 2000 model in person, but I'm still not convinced that they're objectively worse than the original. The screen is the only arguably inferior change, but then again it's not like OLED is a perfect technology anyway (burn-in issues, mura effects, oversaturated colors, etc.)

Oh, it's completely subjective. But that doesn't mean the majority wouldn't subjectively prefer the original OLED to the newer unit's LCD. The screen is the only thing that is substantially better, though. All the other improvements to the LCD model really are improvements, but, to me, the screen is king because that's what I'm looking at the whole time. So I prefer the original unit's gorgeous screen.

I believe recent/forthcoming releases on PS4 and PSVita, namely The Last Of Us Remastered, Borderlands 2 on Vita and Destiny make the Vita very attractive, either for Remote Play or for it's own games.

Not to mention that many people who now have PS+ because it's a requirement for multiplayer online play on PS4 are getting a steady collection of Vita games that they want to take advantage of.

I believe Sony should strike whilst the iron is hot, especially if the PSVita has been relegated to a PS4 companion device, that they should release a new Vita SKU with L2/R2 buttons and clickable L3/R3 sticks.

I don't think the iron will ever be hot for the Vita.

Top Bottom