• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally back to watching this. On episode 3 right now and this feels, more than ever, like classic mst3k. The pacing seems to have found a groove in this episode, too.

The film itself that they are watching is wonderfully bad science fiction.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Where did they film the Temple part of episode 8?

Did not appear to be a matte painting or projection.

Star crash is something...weird.

That guys perm. LOL

Perm guy does jack shit. Has the half naked woman and her robot do all the work. Double LOL

And that naked ladys outfits are so shameless. And they say there aren't any strong roles for women.

Venture

Holy crap, these Wizards movies are the best/worst. Where did they dig these up?!

Quest burn!

That guys perm. LOL

Perm guy does jack shit. Has the half naked woman and her robot do all the work. Double LOL

And that naked ladys outfits are so shameless. And they say there aren't any strong roles for women.
It seemed the other way around to me. The knuckleheads wander around on the planet getting nothing accomplished until the all-powerful, immortal perm god saves the day. Too bad his one weakness is
a small cut on the arm.

That guys perm. LOL

I had a theory that they were just going to have less and less clothing for each scene and she would just be micro bikini at the end, but that
unfortunately
didn't pan out.

I had a theory that they were just going to have less and less clothing for each scene and she would just be micro bikini at the end, but that
unfortunately
didn't pan out.

It really seemed that way. I really liked her
jock strap/sumo wrestler/rain poncho outfit.

Just watched Reptilicus. That was good shit lol. It was jarring every time they made current cultural references that's how well they captured the feel of MST3K haha.

I would take entire episodes of invention exchanges if it means we never get anything the same level as the late-series Pearl-in-time garbage.
Pshaw. Count me in on Team "When Loving Lovers Love".
aoXMrq6.jpg

Now is there a Beast of Hollow Mountain? THATS's a much more pertinant question.
My grandparents watch a lot of a channel that shows things like Bonanza, The Virginian, The Big Valley. For about the first 80%, that movie would've fit in perfectly on that channel.

Beast of Hollow Mountain was fun. The effect for the beast was kinda bad but at the same time I found it utterly charming in a way (unlike Reptilicus which was just pathetic). I couldn't help but be thoroughly entertained for that finale. Especially when he was zooming down the hill with tongue flailing about. "Somebody cut my brakes!"

Also gotta say that it's nice seeing these movies with quality restoration. Cry Wilderness was easy on the eyes because of the outdoor shots and animal stuff. Kinda want to watch that one again because it was a dumb fun movie I probably would have enjoyed as a kid.

Not really feeling it so far.

The jokes are too many, too fast. The voices aren't distinct enough. And there's random things like Gypsy appearing for one joke or Tom Servo flying around the room as if they're afraid people are starting to lose interest and need a shiny thing to look at.

SeanC

Just watched Reptilicus. That was good shit lol. It was jarring every time they made current cultural references that's how well they captured the feel of MST3K haha.

Yeah, I'm so used to watching the old show my cultural references when it comes to MST3k are only 1990s and earlier. To hear something from the past 15 years had me shook.

Venture

Not really feeling it so far.

The jokes are too many, too fast. The voices aren't distinct enough. And there's random things like Gypsy appearing for one joke or Tom Servo flying around the room as if they're afraid people are starting to lose interest and need a shiny thing to look at.
It's a problem in first several episodes but they correct it by midseason. There's a noticeable change around episode 1105 or 1106, I forget exactly which. After that the pacing of the jokes is on par with the original show.

Unfortunately I found those middle episodes the weakest so far. 1106 - 1108 were really lacking in the funny department for me. But starting with 1109 they seem to have things sorted out and it's been very good.

androvsky

Yeah, I'm so used to watching the old show my cultural references when it comes to MST3k are only 1990s and earlier. To hear something from the past 15 years had me shook.

I was getting used to modern references after around 10 episodes or so then they threw a random Zima joke at me out of nowhere which really threw me off, lol.

Starcrash is a wretched film, my word.

Loved the
Seinfeld cameo
and how
she kept changing outfits for no reason
lol.

The sled riding gag was
great.

It's a problem in first several episodes but they correct it by midseason. There's a noticeable change around episode 1105 or 1106, I forget exactly which. After that the pacing of the jokes is on par with the original show.

Unfortunately I found those middle episodes the weakest so far. 1106 - 1108 were really lacking in the funny department for me. But starting with 1109 they seem to have things sorted out and it's been very good.

I don't think it gets any better. I just accept it now though.

androvsky

So, uh, episode 12, ending host segment. wtf

I didn't pay too much attention to the movie, especially early on since it was terrible in all the wrong ways, so I have no idea what's with the
replacement Jonah that appears for a few seconds that Kinga says doesn't exist.
I'm trying to imagine stoners trying to deal with that bit.

Any indication how well this is doing on Netflix, or how the viewing system works.

This needs another season, and with it being kickstarted, this seems like it was kinda low risk for Netflix to take on.

Any indication how well this is doing on Netflix, or how the viewing system works.

This needs another season, and with it being kickstarted, this seems like it was kinda low risk for Netflix to take on.

It's in the trending section so I assume that's a good sign.

Also, the show is dirt cheap to produce compared to their other shows, like a season costs what an episode of some others cost.

Watched Reptillicus, and I definitely see what some of you mean about the pacing of jokes. If the joke track was pushed back just a few seconds, I'd be 100% on board, but as is a lot of the jokes happen before I realize what they're referencing.

That said, I had a number of huge guffaws, so the show is doing something right. I'm looking forward to the next ep since so many point to it as a major improvement over something that's already pretty good.

Watched Reptillicus, and I definitely see what some of you mean about the pacing of jokes. If the joke track was pushed back just a few seconds, I'd be 100% on board, but as is a lot of the jokes happen before I realize what they're referencing.

That said, I had a number of huge guffaws, so the show is doing something right. I'm looking forward to the next ep since so many point to it as a major improvement over something that's already pretty good.
Cry Wilderness is amazing

If you thought the jokes were coming fast in Reptillicus, just you wait. Cry Wilderness hits the jokes non stop it's nuts

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
(finale)
Jonah talks about always wanting to take a space walk and is building a red space suit in episode 2.

ah thanks for this! Just finished and was worried he was dead. He works on the suit during the entire season. Hope he comes back or if not whoever Purple Shirt guy is proves a good replacement.

MadeULook

Just finished off At The Earth's Core and I gotta say, I absolutely enjoyed myself with this reboot. It does a great job of retaining the feel and fits perfectly in with the previous seasons.

It's not perfect as some have pointed out, such as the pacing of the jokes being too fast and a couple of the episodes I could live with never watching again. My personal biggest issue being the skits being pretty hit and miss for me.

However, it also gave us gold such as Cry Wilderness, The Beast of Hallow Mountain, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, and Yongary. I really enjoyed this season and would definitely be watching a second season.
Even if Jonah is now inside the stomach of a metal monster.

Does Netflix release their own version of ratings? I'm really curious to see how well it's doing...
Tell all your friends to watch.

I wore my backer t-shirt to a party on Friday and everyone there was excited to see it and watching the show. Non of them were backers. They were a bunch of nerds but it's still a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom