• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mythic updates DAOC: Catacombs Site (56k go play UO)

ManaByte

Nothing much new in terms of images, and the only details are about the new graphics:

http://catacombs.darkageofcamelot.com/

Players who have Vertex and Pixel Shader 2.0, Direct X 9.0 compatible graphics cards will enjoy an additional feature - an enhanced texture tinting (armor dyeing) system. With Catacombs, dyed armors are no longer simply darkened to the selected color. A special masking technique is used to retain the highlights and shadows of the base texture resulting in a more realistic effect. For example, leather will dye a deeper color than metal, since the metal now keeps its characteristic shiny highlights.

In addition to the model and texture rendering improvements, Catacombs will incorporate the EMotion FX 2 real-time character animation system, an engine upgrade that allows artists to enhance the character models with more realistic motions. The efficiency of EMotion FX 2 provides a performance boost while also decreasing the memory footprint of the animation system.

Images from E3 on the site:

r_kobold.jpg

r_britonf.jpg

r_saracen.jpg

r_saracenf.jpg

r_elf.jpg

r_lurikeen.jpg

ManaByte

Sal Paradise Jr said:
About time they updated models, but i'm seriously going to miss the way my Luri ment looks.

I like the new Luri models!

Mythic is being extremely smart with DAOC. Instead of doing a separate sequel that will splinter the userbase, they are instead simply updating the graphics engine and overhauling the PVP gameplay (in the FREE New Frontiers expansion). That way they won't lose existing players, and the game evolves both in gameplay and graphics. They know what they are doing over there.

AeroGod

Frontiers is seriously impressive, they really showed what they could make out of the RvR system. Its a huge huge huge improvement.

Top Bottom