• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Direct] Astral Chain Trailer

Story and mechanical details from Nintendo, plus even more screens:

As part of a police special task force, it’s up to you to fight against mysterious, alien-like creatures who have invaded the world.
In the Ark, a multi-cultural city in the near future, disaster strikes when gates to another dimension suddenly appear! Dangerous creatures begin to emerge, attacking the people and polluting the land, and normal police forces are unable to compete with them. To stand up against these threats, a brand new, special police unit known as Neuron is formed.
Choose between two playable characters – one male, one female – on your adventure. The character you don’t choose also appears as your younger twin, and a fellow member of Neuron.
In order to resist the creatures, humanity developed a special weapon: the Legion. The Legion acts as your partner, and helps with your investigations. However, it’s in battle where the Legion shows its real ability...
Work together with the Legion and use all sorts of combat styles to fight your enemies. You could both attack the same enemy simultaneously, target different opponents, or send your Legion on the offensive while you support it with items. Use this synergetic action system to battle and explore together!
Cool screens:

2jlv97cMkIAtalGWZhs8yy53Rm8XUKZK.jpg

JrPhjfraSVu9frE6lYqiE4MGIaHA-FIA.jpg

ahTWoVgR7atpFkBph0FJvKCAfBHNO-_R.jpg

W3u9gc2RmY_sJpHFQcadivJbpgoT3FqA.jpg

(why are they posing dramatically when something in the background is burning? they're emergency crew! They should go put that unsafe fire out)

AstralChain-11.jpg

AstralChain-6.jpg

AstralChain-3.jpg

The mechanics for your Legion partner sound interesting, even allowing to play Healer/Support just outside the fray of battle.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

As part of a police special task force, it’s up to you to fight against mysterious, alien-like creatures who have invaded the world.
In the Ark, a multi-cultural city in the near future, disaster strikes when gates to another dimension suddenly appear! Dangerous creatures begin to emerge, attacking the people and polluting the land, and normal police forces are unable to compete with them. To stand up against these threats, a brand new, special police unit known as Neuron is formed.
Choose between two playable characters – one male, one female – on your adventure. The character you don’t choose also appears as your younger twin, and a fellow member of Neuron.
In order to resist the creatures, humanity developed a special weapon: the Legion. The Legion acts as your partner, and helps with your investigations. However, it’s in battle where the Legion shows its real ability...
Work together with the Legion and use all sorts of combat styles to fight your enemies. You could both attack the same enemy simultaneously, target different opponents, or send your Legion on the offensive while you support it with items. Use this synergetic action system to battle and explore together!
Cool screens:

The mechanics for your Legion partner sound interesting, even allowing to play Healer/Support just outside the fray of battle.
I’m in love! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Javthusiast

Banned
Damn it, now I really will have to get a switch. Helps that I also always wanted to play mario maker and games like zelda botw etc.

Raph64

I’m in love! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

You and me both. This was the best reveal from the Direct, hands down. As far as I can remember, Platinum has yet to deliver a bad game ( apart from the “licensed” games ), and this game sounds like no exception.

Plus, Kamiya is supervising so you know tis gonna be gud.

Also, best of luck to Taura-san to deliver us a marvelous exclusive ! :messenger_clapping:

He sure did came a long way through after NieR : Automata, remember :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jjngqlp.gif

Solid female design. Totally playing her. Highly reminiscent of Makoto from Ghost in the Shell. Complete badass by the looks of it (EDIT: now that I think about it, reminiscent of this Makoto from P5, too):
ncnddAg.gif

This looks as though you will be able to summon your Legion unit on the fly and it can take various forms depending on what the player needs. We've already seen a wolfhound, a melee Legion, and the longbow legion.
FgZPC23.gif

Last edited:

Cool screens:

(why are they posing dramatically when something in the background is burning? they're emergency crew! They should go put that unsafe fire out)

AstralChain-11.jpg

AstralChain-6.jpg

AstralChain-3.jpg

This game.

cryptoadam

Banned
Whats cool was there was no leaks or even a hint that this game exsited, and bam its coming out in 6 months. Nintendo really was able to keep this under wraps even with some other leaks.

A great contrast with Super Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening. Sure you have your usual Nitendo "Kiddie" franchises, and then you have this action mature themed games.

This with Dameon shows that Nintendo is willing to invest in more mature/hardcore games and they aren't just about the "casual" or kid audience.

This with Dameon shows that Nintendo is willing to invest in more mature/hardcore games and they aren't just about the "casual" or kid audience.
This has been evident since the GBA/Gamecube era. There isn't a single Nintendo platform since GC/GBA that lacked mature/hardcore games. Even amidst Nintendogs and Wii Sports, there was still Hotel Dusk, various SMT games, GTA Chinatown Wars, Dementium, Mad World, Xenoblade, Radiant Historia, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, etc.

It's a hard reputation for Nintendo to shake, but I (partially) blame the unaccountable journalists for this problem, who will continue to parrot old tropes about "kiddy Nintendo" without pausing or reflecting on the actual state of the Nintendo's game library. And it is true that Nintendo still does reach out to kids, but for some reason this is conflated to "only reaches out to kids and casuals".

Danjin44

Reminds me NieR Automata, so I guess that is the same guys
If it’s Keiichi Okabe why not mention it on trailer like they did with character design? The music is definitely gives me same vibe as NieR, especially with its vocals.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely interested in the game with my only concern being is if it's a co-op game or solo single player game with an AI companion.

Definitely interested in the game with my only concern being is if it's a co-op game or solo single player game with an AI companion.

99% sure that's single player. But I think you just control both of them at the same time but not in an overly complicated or confusing manner. Essentially controlling the secondary character to a limited degree i.e you send them out to start an attack or have them attack from behind like with that shield enemy in the trailer, or go for a bind or something. The attacking might be automated as you send them out in a certain way. But that's just how it appeared to me.

Danjin44

99% sure that's single player. But I think you just control both of them at the same time but not in an overly complicated or confusing manner. Essentially controlling the secondary character to a limited degree i.e you send them out to start an attack or have them attack from behind like with that shield enemy in the trailer, or go for a bind or something. The attacking might be automated as you send them out in a certain way. But that's just how it appeared to me.
There is also a chance we might able switch between them like we did in Torna Golden Country when switching between Driver and Blade.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I can Watch this trailer over and over again. This game speaks to me in the same way Nier Automata does and I´m a huge fan of that franchise. It has the same vibe as Automata and with all these big names involved and the massive appeal it generates from the design to characters, combat and story, this game cannot possibly be bad.

Astral Chains reveal is easily the best one so far for me this generation, even better than Bloodborne. It came out of nowhere and positioned itself as my most anticipated game of 2019, just like that. That sorta thing is incredibly rare these Days, I´m amazed Nintendo and P could keep this game a secret, but now that it´s gotten out in the open it´s time to jump aboard the hype train.

Danjin44

Sooo when's Nintendo gonna put a ring on it and make an honest lady outta Platinum
I don’t understand why Platinum Games needs to be exclusive to Nintendo, Sony or MS? I like to see them make games for both PS4 and Switch or even multiplatform.

KiteGr

Looks like a Nier automata clone with all the same team and elements but Yoko Taro.

It wories me that the concept of this game appears to me more like Nintendo saying "we need our own Nier thingy" and less like some cool passion project that was in development.

Danjin44

Looks like a Nier automata clone with all the same team and elements but Yoko Taro.

It wories me that the concept of this game appears to me more like Nintendo saying "we need our own Nier thingy" and less like some cool passion project that was in development.
I think most people here know at this point how much I LOVED Automata but nothing about this trailer looks like Automata clone. The combat is very different, especially the way you controlling two characters who connect by chains at the same time to pull off combos and the art style looks nothing like Automata.

Can you explaine to me what exactly makes this look like “Automata clone”? The only thing I can think of is the music that gives me the same vibe as NieR.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Also can we talk about how good the music was? God damn!!!

Absolutely superb. Tbh that whole thing looks incredible (damn that art style is just utterly utterly fucking gorgeous) and yeah I may have to finally buy my first ever console (having been a computer-user exclusively through Amstrad CPC 464, Atari ST, briefly Amiga and PC ever since).

Last edited by a moderator:

KiteGr

I think most people here know at this point how much I LOVED Automata but nothing about this trailer looks like Automata clone. The combat is very different, especially the way you controlling two characters who connect by chains at the same time to pull off combos and the art style looks nothing like Automata.

Can you explaine to me what exactly makes this look like “Automata clone”? The only thing I can think of is the music that gives me the same vibe as NieR.
TBH the monster design appears closer to Nier: Gestalt.
The battle system, the music scream Neir: Automata.
The Story doesn't, as I said, Yoko Taro is missing from this project to be a complete Nier Clone.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
TBH the monster design appears closer to Nier: Gestalt.
The battle system, the music scream Neir: Automata.
The Story doesn't, as I said, Yoko Taro is missing from this project to be a complete Nier Clone.

The Monster Design reminds me far more of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 than NieR. Its combat is also just general action-RPG style combat. Hardly a thing that screams NieR. Its music I can kinda see? But it isn't Keiichi Okabe.

Zannegan

It's a totally different setting and on a totally different scale, but I'm wondering if the dual-character, tethered combat system is inspired by Kamiya's earlier experiments with Scalebound (RIP).

This really was the best surprise. I can't believe it's scheduled for this year too.

Do we know if it's linear like Bayonetta or more open area yet?

Danjin44

It's a totally different setting and on a totally different scale, but I'm wondering if the dual-character, tethered combat system is inspired by Kamiya's earlier experiments with Scalebound (RIP).

This really was the best surprise. I can't believe it's scheduled for this year too.

Do we know if it's linear like Bayonetta or more open area yet?
Based on screenshot above, we have open city to explore.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This looks amazing, like Automata meets Metal Gear Rising meets crazy new stuff. I thought the anime shading was indicating a Monolith Soft project, like they took their engine/style from Xenoblade 2 but put it in a setting closer to Xenoblade X. Then the combat made it clear it was different and the Automata similarities cemented that it was Platinum Games. Hopefully it's great from start to finish but they have a good thing going. I love the concept and the old school anime and tokukatsu style, I hope the police theme isn't for show and creatively affects the world and mission design, maybe different threats will pop up in the city and you'll have to respond to defend civilians and take the enemies down, maybe even have to choose where to go first and have it affect the outcome, rather than play in a standard linear JRPG fashion from A to B to C. I need a Switch.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
This looked to be a 2 player co-op game from what I saw. I just worry it suffers from the same things like Resident Evil 5 where the overall quality nosedived when playing solo.

Shifty

This looked to be a 2 player co-op game from what I saw.
I got the impression that it would be more of an Ice Climbers situation, where your partner isn't directly controlled but takes part in various actions.

Danjin44

I got the impression that it would be more of an Ice Climbers situation, where your partner isn't directly controlled but takes part in various actions.
I think thats how it is and if there is co-op it might be separate mode like in Bayonetta you or other person play as Jeanne and in this game you might play as other twin or other characters we saw in the trailer.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

I hope you're right. I'd be much more likely to get into it if its main focus is single player.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/astral-chain-platinum-games-game-page-details

New information on Nintendo and Platinum Games’ newly announced Switch action game Astral Chain have come in via Platinum Games’ official game page. Get the details below.

Thanks, Nintendo Everything.
Some good info and there are various screens as well, if you visit the page (edit: at first I had quoted some of it without images but the screens are pretty integral so just click), though I'm not sure if any are 100% new some were new to me at least. Stealth in some sections?
08_legion_02-660x370.jpg

They also bothered to make a blog section (edit: maybe just an embed of the general Platinum blog), with just the game's announcement for now, I hope they will have a lot more to tell us.
With today’s Nintendo Direct, we at PlatinumGames are proud to show off our latest project: ASTRAL CHAIN, a thrilling new Synergetic Action game for Nintendo Switch. We’ve been working on ASTRAL CHAIN for a while now, but we’ve had to keep it under wraps until now. But now that it’s announced, you won’t have too long to wait – It’s coming to Nintendo Switch on August 30! I’m sure some of you were surprised to hear that an all-new, original PlatinumGames title is on its way so soon!

The idea for ASTRAL CHAIN came from none other than Takahisa Taura, the lead game designer for NieR:Automata. Taura and his team – which includes veterans of such PlatinumGames classics as Bayonetta and NieR:Automata – have worked very hard to make his ideas into reality with ASTRAL CHAIN, his directorial debut. Naturally, Taura’s no stranger to action games, but he’s pushed himself to new heights with the dual-character, Synergetic Action of ASTRAL CHAIN.

ASTRAL CHAIN brings you to a bold, near-future cyberpunk metropolis, featuring character designs by Masakazu Katsura, the acclaimed artist behind beloved manga and anime like ZETMAN and Video Girl Ai.

Last but not least, the team has received supervision and guidance from none other than Hideki Kamiya, to ensure that ASTRAL CHAIN has that special something that action game fans have come to expect from PlatinumGames.

I hope that all of you will join me in looking forward to this exciting, original title from one of our up-and-coming directors. I’m confident that you’ll enjoy it.

Atsushi Inaba
Studio Head
PlatinumGames Inc.​
Edit: some of it was covered in the gamexplain video, I hadn't watched that, it's good stuff too.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

When I first saw the trailer during the direct I thought it looked cool. But watching it again and hear more about it..I am super excited. One of my top games for 2019 now.

Shifty

The game is absolutely amazing and the story sounds interesting.

Nice. There are some good details in there, though I reckon some of the assumptions are reaching a bit.

I really like the idea of sending your legion out to wrap the chain around enemies Battle of Hoth style

tumblr_mstklu3S8U1qeaf6zo5_250.gif

Top Bottom