• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nagoshi confirms Yakuza PSV, 1 & 2 HD on Wii U is "an experiment", and no 3DS plans

steveovig

I really hope the collection comes out here in the States. I know it won't sell millions or sell too many systems but I haven't played either one and I want to start the series without dusting off the PS2 and finding copies of each. I was excited for a PS3 version to come out but it never surfaced.

Also, I love how people complain about it not being a new game and just a port of two PS2 games but at least it'd be something new.

Yuterald

It's hard for me to care about Yakuza Vita when the west never got the two Black Panther games. It's even harder to care about a Yakuza 6/PS4 when we haven't gotten 5 yet in the west either. I really hope that e-mail response is the news we're all hoping for. =D

cafemomo

Yakuza on the Vita?
BV5rrr7.png

Jonnyram

You're saying that they did the series on PSP so why not 3DS? Well, the PSP game was static backgrounds with 3D characters (like the PS2 games, it was a Resident Evil 1-style engine.) So storage space could be an issue (except that 3DS games are supposedly 2GB standard and can max at 8GB, PSP was 1.8GB... this isn't one of those cases where Nintendo is using GigaBits to make things look bigger, right?) 3DS's graphics processor also supposedly puts its might behind efficient effects and layering rather than pure poly-pushing power (thus perhaps no Katamari on 3DS despite PSP and Vita versions?) and it might be possible that results would be underwhelming if they tried to do the kinds of city populations that Yakuza Black Panther had (even Lego City struggled to create open-world, tons-of-poly visuals on 3DS and that was a tentpole product.)

That being said, it seems plenty possible to do on 3DS. If it were important for the sake of Wii U entries in the franchise (or if it were the only way to get Black Panther 1+2 out in America,) I wouldn't mind sharing Yakuza with Nintendo's portables as long as Vita got its due.
The PSP can supposedly push twice as many polys as the 3DS. That might be an issue for a city game like Yakuza.

kiryogi

Banned
It's hard for me to care about Yakuza Vita when the west never got the two Black Panther games. It's even harder to care about a Yakuza 6/PS4 when we haven't gotten 5 yet in the west either. I really hope that e-mail response is the news we're all hoping for. =D
Yeah while it doesn't affect the me since I import anyway, but I don't understand any of the hype for a Vita version of here from domestic folks at all. US didn't get a single Kurohyo game. What makes you think that's gonna change? And the Vita market currently is on levels of psps final year domestically.

mothball

Sounds like a confirmation to me

raven777 is right; I watched the video myself and even decided to transcribe the relevant part so someone else can double check as well.

Interviewer: あ、「Vitaでの展開は?」なんていうね、コメントもありますけど。
Nagoshi: ね。そうだよな?
Interviewer: PlayStationにね、育ったというと、Vitaは?って、みんなファン的にはちょっと期待しちゃう気持ちもやっぱあると思いますけどね。
Nagoshi: それは、確か。

Interviewer: Ah, there are some comments along the lines of, "Vita release?"
Nagoshi: Huh. There would be, wouldn't there?
Interviewer: Given that the series "grew up" on PlayStation, it seems that there is hope among fans for something on the Vita.
Nagoshi: That's a given.

That's it. Right after that she points out a comment about Shenmue and they laugh it off, not returning to the Vita subject. I can understand how the Kotaku reporter mistook the 確か (definitely/certain/sure) as referring to a Vita game rather than referring to the fans' expectations, though.

AlexM

1 & 2 HD? It's on PS3...

Is that not Japanese only though? I checked my Amazon and couldnt find a copy.

Man I would LOVE yakuza 1&2 hd on the ps3. i just played 4 and now want to start from 1 to get the whole story.

that's an example of a game I didn't expect much from that blew me away

prwxv3

Popularity doesn't dictate to where the series goes, otherwise we would have seen the series go to the Wii instead of the PS3.

Fucking this. Blindly throwing franchies on the systems that are more popular does not guarantee better sales. Some franchies should be moved but not all where the audience is different and not geared toward a particular series.

L Thammy

I had been thinking that Yakuza 1+2 was ported instead of 5 because it was cheap and SEGA hasn't decided if they're going to try the Wii U: they don't care about building up an audience yet. This seems to match.

Nagoshi said that the experiment is less about sales and more about how Wii U owners react to it.

What does this even mean?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I had been thinking that Yakuza 1+2 was ported instead of 5 because it was cheap and SEGA hasn't decided if they're going to try the Wii U: they don't care about building up an audience yet. This seems to match.

What does this even mean?

They're treating it like the wii.

Smart too if you ask me, no need to drain the coffers over something that might not sell too great.

CamHostage

are you sure? I can't believe 3ds losing poly count power against old hardware like psp, maybe the comparison is with vita?

No, the Vita can do orders of magnitude more polys that 3DS. The 3DS's strengths are just not in poly-pushing power, its GPU is better designed to make those polys look nice (although even that has been underutilized since RE) and power conservation. (Plus, people don't give it credit but the PSP was a secret beast! Look at some of its last games, it's crazy what this system could do on 1800mAh of battery...)

But as has already been brought up, it's still possible if the 3DS audience were really into it. Change the character style, utilize those 2D backdrops as efficiently as possible, use sprites for people even if you're that worried about rendering people. It's doable. They just don't want to, the hardcore brawler fanbase has never been strong on the DS line.

I watched the video myself and even decided to transcribe the relevant part so someone else can double check as well...

Interviewer: Given that the series "grew up" on PlayStation, it seems that there is hope among fans for something on the Vita.

I can understand how the Kotaku reporter mistook the 確か (definitely/certain/sure) as referring to a Vita game rather than referring to the fans' expectations, though.

Dag, the party's been pooped... Still worth talking about even if it's not a given confirmation

Foshy

raven777 is right; I watched the video myself and even decided to transcribe the relevant part so someone else can double check as well.

Interviewer: PlayStationにね、育ったというと、Vitaは?って、みんなファン的にはちょっと期待しちゃう気持ちもやっぱあると思いますけどね。

That's it. Right after that she points out a comment about Shenmue and they laugh it off, not returning to the Vita subject. I can understand how the Kotaku reporter mistook the 確か (definitely/certain/sure) as referring to a Vita game rather than referring to the fans' expectations, though.

Oh, I see. Well yeah, that changes things obviously, but the way it was reported sounded quite different.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

At least he didn't deny yakuza on vita, so there's hope :)

Mr Swine

Banned
No, the Vita can do orders of magnitude more polys that 3DS. The 3DS's strengths are just not in poly-pushing power, its GPU is better designed to make those polys look nice (although even that has been underutilized since RE) and power conservation. (Plus, people don't give it credit but the PSP was a secret beast! Look at some of its last games, it's crazy what this system could do on 1800mAh of battery...)

But as has already been brought up, it's still possible if the 3DS audience were really into it. Change the character style, utilize those 2D backdrops as efficiently as possible, use sprites for people even if you're that worried about rendering people. It's doable. They just don't want to, the hardcore brawler fanbase has never been strong on the DS line.

Dag, the party's been pooped... Still worth talking about even if it's not a given confirmation

Doesn't make any sense on what you are talking about. I have a hard time believing that PSP can do more polygons than the 3DS when most games look a lot better on the 3DS than PSP polygon wise when not using any shaders

Top Bottom