• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Code Vein (UE4, console, 2018), ARPG from God Eater team [Up: Art]

Rpgmonkey

Hmm, project as an overall concept sounds pretty interesting but from the way they described and teased the game I expected a more subdued cartoony/anime look.

DMONKUMA

The art style is a bit pedestrian after the teaser, but I can certainly live with it if they deliver a decently competent souls-like ARPG with coop. Not nearly enough of those.

But is it really coop though? It seems to me that you just have an AI partner.

Durante

The initial translated information I read included something about coop.

If it doesn't have that then it's a massive missed opportunity, and it will make it much harder to get a sizeable fraction of the Souls fanbase to buy the game. (Which seems to be the goal here)

Ascheroth

Coop definitely was mentioned somewhere.

I've said this before, but I assume it works similar to how it does in God Eater, just with only 1 'slot'.
In God Eater you have AI partners you can take with you, or other players, or a combination of AI partners and other players.

BadWolf

I've said this before, but I assume it works similar to how it does in God Eater, just with only 1 'slot'.
In God Eater you have AI partners you can take with you, or other players, or a combination of AI partners and other players.

If only this happened in Dragon's Dogma...

DMONKUMA

The initial translated information I read included something about coop.

If it doesn't have that then it's a massive missed opportunity, and it will make it much harder to get a sizeable fraction of the Souls fanbase to buy the game. (Which seems to be the goal here)

Yeah I hope it does as it would add to the experience.

OryoN

Not sure why they would be this vague about which console hardware the game is coming to following a reveal, unless Switch is involved. If so, it may be for "surprise" purposes, or simply that they only recently OK a Switch port and are stilk working out some details.

sinonobu

Banned
I'm expecting PS4/Xbox/PC to be announced tomorrow, then a belated Switch announcement around TGS when Bamco realise how many units the device is selling.

I don't think this will be announced for PC since I think it was said that the game is coming to 'console'.

I'm expecting either just PS4 or PS4/Switch.

Jingo

So what are we expecting tomorrow? A trailer with no gameplay? Its only 35% done, dont know what to expect..

DMONKUMA

So what are we expecting tomorrow? A trailer with no gameplay? Its only 35% done, dont know what to expect..

They said they will show gameplay in may at least.

I don't think this will be announced for PC since I think it was said that the game is coming to 'console'.

I'm expecting either just PS4 or PS4/Switch.

This would be really surprising since the God Eater games are on PC now. Even more so since Bamco is targeting that audience more recently as well.

Oregano

Not sure why they would be this vague about which console hardware the game is coming to following a reveal, unless Switch is involved. If so, it may be for "surprise" purposes, or simply that they only recently OK a Switch port and are stilk working out some details.

Nah, the same thing happened with Etryian Odyssey 5 and The Great Ace Attorney 2.

The fact that Nintendo had a Direct last week should be enough to tell you this probably isn't a Switch game.

jonno394

Worst case scenario "Guys, we're happy to announce our new Game, it's going to be awesome. please wait until May for more details including platforms and gameplay"

sinonobu

Banned
They said they will show gameplay in may at least.

This would be really surprising especially since the God Eater games are on PC now.

I'm not saying it's not coming to PC, but it will not come out at the same time as the console versions.

lol

Really? This is Namco we're talking about.

I just don't see PC version getting announced this early. I think it will eventually come out.

Durante

I'm not saying it's not coming to PC, but it will not come out at the same time as the console versions.
Again, have you been following what Namco Bandai have been doing lately?
Both franchises this is related with (God Eater and Dark Souls) get simultaneous PC releases (in the West of course). So I really don't see any reason to believe this won't, doubly so since it's UE4. Unless you are just talking about the Japanese release.

Or Ace Combat 7 and Ni no Kuni 2.
Or Tales of Zestiria or Tales of Berseria.

sinonobu

Banned
Again, have you been following what Namco Bandai have been doing lately?
Both franchises this is related with (God Eater and Dark Souls) get simultaneous PC releases (in the West of course). So I really don't see any reason to believe this won't, doubly so since it's UE4. Unless you are just talking about the Japanese release.

I am just talking about Japanese release.

Eliseo

I do want it to be on the Nintendo switch, just to see some reactions like "omg the switch is holding the game back or all of sudden the game is shit/not interesting since it's on the switch"

Corpekata

Banned
When something is announced as a "console" game when it comes to business aspects, it's just a way to separate it from mobile or handheld gaming, it doesn't mean literally "only on consoles." It is a way to imply aspects (designed around controllers, HD visuals, maybe bigger budgets, etc) without commiting to specifics

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Scans doesn't mention Shift I think.

Yeah they don't. I'm starting to think this is just Bandai Namco in-house stuff with the God Eater leads. Which is cool, too I guess.

It's kind of funny in a way. Bandai Namco leads work with Shift to make God Eater. Shift leads work with Sony and Dimps to make Freedom Wars. Bandai Namco leads work with uh, Bandai Namco to make this. Cool beans all around.

DMONKUMA

I do want it to be on the Nintendo switch, just to see some reactions like "omg the switch is holding the game back or all of sudden the game is shit/not interesting since it's on the switch"

That'd be the same reaction if the game was coming to vita.

Oregano

When something is announced as a "console" game when it comes to business aspects, it's just a way to separate it from mobile or handheld gaming, it doesn't mean literally "only on consoles."

Actually it tends not to disqualify handheld games either.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yea I just looked at the screens and this game looks very nice aesthetically! The weapons look awesome, the buddy system reminds me of the pawns from Dragon's Dogma so it's good to see a game expanding or being inspired by ideas that Capcom seems unwilling to concern themselves with.

sn00zer

So I'm confused. Is the game art style that neat subdued style from the trailer or that generic weird none of the weapons or clothing makes sense anime-style in the art from the mag.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm expecting PS4/Xbox/PC to be announced tomorrow, then a belated Switch announcement around TGS when Bamco realise how many units the device is selling.

Lol
Way more likely, you are right
Having Switch announced right out of the door would be a clear change in third party relationship for Nintendo

BTW game looks cool anyway. PS4 is a lock so I will look closely to it in any case

Salty Hippo

If you announce a game without even comitting to a single platform you don't even have my curiosity. Try again in the future.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Maybe this game being released in 2018 is an indicator that we shouldn't be expecting a new Souls game for a few years considering that Bandai-Namco publishes those and likely wouldn't want to cannibalize sales of this smaller property. Hopefully that means we get a re-envisioned Armored Core...please God!

Top Bottom