• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai has a new label. Is their logo as ugly ?

Kifimbo

PR first. Seems like it might be a new studio too.

NAMCO BANDAI Games Announces New ‘SURGE’ Publishing Label
SURGE Represents Robust Line of Titles and Audience Expansion

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today unveiled the formation of SURGE™, a new studio and publishing label dedicated to providing cutting-edge, genre-defining games that are targeted at satiating the appetite of western gamers. SURGE will deliver quality interactive entertainment across a wide assortment of categories and platforms.

“SURGE presents a significant milestone for NAMCO BANDAI as it personifies our commitment to deliver compelling content for the discriminating player who is looking for games that are not only groundbreaking but also push the envelope,” said Andrew Lelchuk, executive vice president of sales and marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America, Inc. “Through passion and innovation, SURGE will complement our portfolio of established franchises and intellectual property while positioning the company as a creative force.”

Afro Samurai®, the high-style title that blends urban hip hop culture with traditional Japanese aesthetics, will be the first game to launch under the new label when it is released on January 27, 2009. Additional IPs currently in development and slated for 2009 will also be published under the SURGE label.

For more information about Afro Samurai and other NAMCO BANDAI Games products, please visit: http://www.namcobandaigames.com.

Logo:

02.jpg

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
So the PR makes it sound like it's just a shadow label that they will publish NB games under to appeal to "westerners."

That logo is pretty awful. Too much stuff going on... getting a sweet Mountain Dew vibe off it. Whoever focus grouped that one should hang up their spurs.

akilshohen said:
I'd rather have the Namco Bandai label on the Afro Samurai cover. Looks generic and reminds me of a video card.

I'd rather have the Bandai logo. I really miss it on their North American releases (it's still used in Japan, the BNG logo is on the back of the case).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hey Scamco, you know what would satiate my appetite? Stop making it a coin flip on whether or not a Tales game is coming this way or not.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is this a not-so-subtle hint at the surge of genre-defining DLC that will hit soon after?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Designed by a 45 year-old marketing exec given the task of designing a logo that would appeal to "hip and cutting edge" 18-25 year olds.

icecream

Public Health Threat
So is the point of this to differentiate between their western developed titles and their Japanese titles? Different PR approach? Or do they actually think that their Namco-Bandai label image is what has been holding back their sales?

What's the crazy logic here?

sajj316

I don't care what they call themselves ... just make good games. What if you never heard of Zipper or Bungie ... would they be lame names?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder if Hirokazu Yasuhara's next game will come out under this label...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sajj316 said:
I don't care what they call themselves ... just make good games. What if you never heard of Zipper or Bungie ... would they be lame names?

At least Zipper and Bungie have better logos.

AndyD

aka andydumi
El_TigroX said:
So the PR makes it sound like it's just a shadow label that they will publish NB games under to appeal to "westerners."

Exactly my thought. ANd its a terrible logo to boot. Get rid of the background and its much better.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anybody else as sick of the trend of Japanese developers attempting to water down and change their games for American consumption? It's like the mid 80's all over again. Not to mention that logo reeks of early 90's, and amateur music-making software for the PC.

djtiesto said:
Anybody else as sick of the trend of Japanese developers attempting to water down and change their games for American consumption? It's like the mid 80's all over again. Not to mention that logo reeks of early 90's, and amateur music-making software for the PC.
Not as sick, I rather find it funny, since Surge is pretty much the perfect example of "doin it wrong".

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh dear god, Namco Bandais grand plan for appealing to "Westerners" is to create a sub-brand that not only serves only to confuse the general public (Surge? Who dey?), also manages to disenfranchise gamers whilst looking like a throwback to mid 90s B grade advertising?

Good job all round, pat on the back to the execs who have obviously worked long and hard to come up with this brilliant solution to a problem that doesn't exist in the first place!

Top Bottom