• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Holding Press Event In April [Live] shidoshi: Dark Souls PC = GFWL

Cetra

No DLC to add this to the console version? Obvious money grab to make people buy this version to see the new content, Scamco indeed.

I've already purchased this game twice. Won't do a third time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anther site is saying they only saw the Game for Windows Logo, and are not sure about the Live Part:
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/6130/article/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-confirmed-for-pc/

No DLC to add this to the console version? Obvious money grab to make people buy this version to see the new content, Scamco indeed.

I've already purchased this game twice. Won't do a third time.

Having exclusive content in a year late port is a money grab now?

grkazan12

Will get Dark Souls PC regardless of GFWL or not, too good of a game to pass up from what I heard and to fulfill the demand that all PC gamers made a couple of months ago.
Still if it's true why would they use GFWL instead of Steamworks? SMH

zulux21

I didn't see the release window posted here but I might have missed it
gematsu is reporting a Nov 2012 release for the one piece game in both NA and EU with a physical and digital release.

sounds like it will be a christmas present for my Wife.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kotaku and RPG Site both say it's Games for Windows Live.

Of course, knowing Kotaku their source might be this thread.

NIGHT-

What's wrong with gfwl? Never had a issue with it... I'm currently playing the PC version of gow and having no issues

I might buy it... but I really, really want those extra bosses (possibly new locations too going by the trailer?) for the consoles. I don't want to start another character on the PC... not to endure all that dying again.

If they give an absolute answer that the DLC will never come to consoles, I will double dip.

Also, the release date is my birthday! August 24th!

Honestly I've never understood the rage for GFWL, I own DOW2, Red faction, dirt 2 & 3, bulletstorm, fallout 3 etc, and never had a single issue with any of them, plus the XBL achievements add to the experience somewhat! maybe dark souls for pc will have cross pc-360 cross-play due to GFWL?!

It's just cool to hate it indiscriminately, like Origin, you know? They don't need real reasons lolol

Kyon

Banned
Ninokuni in english, never thought i'd see the day. I still have the DS and PS3 version imports, i loved the story so much, ill triple dip if there's another edition with the book

Durante

Honestly I've never understood the rage for GFWL, I own DOW2, Red faction, dirt 2 & 3, bulletstorm, fallout 3 etc, and never had a single issue with any of them, plus the XBL achievements add to the experience somewhat!
Yeah, I wonder if GFWL was completely broken in some game I haven't played, because in those I did play it didn't really affect me much.

mxgt

Banned
What's wrong with gfwl? Never had a issue with it... I'm currently playing the PC version of gow and having no issues

It isn't remotely as bad as people make it out to be, such overreactions

It's not ideal, sure, but it's not even close to a deal breaker

Still buying day 1.

M*A*S*H

Calling it now, it'll be GFW not Live. Namco have no history of GFWL titles, and ridge racer unbounded is steamworks.

So Namco does the unprecedented and actually listens to PC gamers about a game they want to play...but then sticks it on GFWL which is notoriously hated by PC gamers?

Nice.

I never beat Arkham Asylum because I lost my save file like 3 times. A game as massive as Dark Souls, I'm not even going to bother if GFWL is mandatory.

Durante

So Namco does the unprecedented and actually listens to PC gamers about a game they want to play...but then sticks it on GFWL which is notoriously hated by PC gamers?
Is it really? I know a lot of PC gamers (myself included) that are entirely indifferent towards GFWL.

Kyon

Banned

Nice.

I thought the majority of people who wanted it were console players who wanted a PC version lol

Nice.

I never beat Arkham Asylum because I lost my save file like 3 times. A game as massive as Dark Souls, I'm not even going to bother if GFWL is mandatory.
The irony of it all.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Considering a bunch of the new stuff appears to take place in a forest, and From are known to have registered a "Forest Of Darkness" trademark... I strongly suspect we'll be seeing this extra content on at least one console platform.

Bamco are probably just keeping schtumm about it in order to incentivize double-dipping.

mollipen

Just saw the new title - that's a lot of pressure! *laughs* I do think it said GFWL, but I could totally have been wrong. The image was pretty quick, and we weren't allowed to take any pics to go back and check.

So don't kill me if it's GFW and not GFWL!

Edit: Just saw that I was confirmed as GFWL.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I will never understand why people still use GFWL. Steamworks is FREE. The only thing I can think of is that MS is still throwing money behind an initiative they don't even really support, or maybe there's simply no one at Valve that talks to anyone from Japan. It would explain why the Japanese companies seem to be the ones that keep using GFWL.

Jintor

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on screen now. Coming to the US and Europe... he's going on about the Ghibli effect, more or less.

Wow, Akihiro Hino of Level 5 is here. Oh, hey, I remember him from TGS. Transcribing.

"Hello everyone, my name is Akihiro Hino of LVL 5. I was the producer and on the production side the general manger of the project."

"It's a pleasure to be here today to talk about Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, featuring animation by the world-renowned Studio Ghibli and music by Joe Hisayishi"

- gameplay is playing. Translation is on. It looks great. Translation looks great too, not too much of it scene though.

"Ni No Kuni initially began as a 10th anniversary project for Lvl 5. We wanted to make something we felt strongly about on a creative level that also had meaning as a game."

"We wanted the game to capture the beautiful animation techniques that Studio Ghibli is known for, so we asked them if they would render the animation scenes for this new project."

"Initially they were interested in the project, but didn't like the title we had at the time. We came up with the name Ni No Kuni, which they liked, and production started soon after."

"While Ni No Kuni might look like a traditional RPG at first glance, we really challenged ourselves to come up with something that would be new and exciting."

A cutscene is happening. Dubbed voices are on (ENGLISH ACCENTS!). Ghibli-tier animation (duh). The dubs are good.

"The battle system has a lot of action elements that keep the characters moving, whether that is to switch between characters, avoid incoming attacks, or pick up glims (?) on the battlefield."

"The story is set in a dual-natured world where actions taken in Oliver's town of Motorville affect that in other worlds. We challenged ourselves with new themeatic elements where inhabitants of either world share a soul.

The idea was to create a world filled with life and vibrancy that evoke the heartwarming feeling of a studio Ghibli animation."

(The big guard is called a Boarrior. This is going to be great.)

The main character, Ni No Kuni, is Oliver, whose mother dies in a tragic accident, but the doll she makes for him comes to life and brings him to another world, beginning his quest to save his mother (

"At first he is overwhelmed with sadness, but as we meet him he goes on his adventure and goes on an adventure, meeting new characters, etc, etc [sorry, I can't keep up]

(A giant tank is called a Porco Grosso. Lol)

"Battles begin by selecting either a human character or a familiar, players can switch between them at any time."

"We also attempted to reduce the burden on the player by making command inputs more intuitive by letting players... [something]... while moving around the field"

The player acts as a general on the battlefield by issuing commands and moving around to avoid attacks, the result of which is an active, yet strategic game."

"The battles are very vibrant as the character's familiars and features all spring to life at once.

(This game looks REALLY, REALLY GOOD GUYS)

"...showcase Ni No Kuni's magnificent world by utilising the full capabilities of the hardware, and we hope you will enjoy adventuring in this other world."

"We also hope that you will find Studio Ghibli's aninimation and Joe (?)'s musical score to be the same high quality as found in their other works"

"Ni no Kuni will be in stores in Q1 2013 in North America and Europe complete with language support for each territory. We cannot wait to make this game available to our overseas fans"

Jintor

Just saw the new title - that's a lot of pressure! *laughs* I do think it said GFWL, but I could totally have been wrong. The image was pretty quick, and we weren't allowed to take any pics to go back and check.

Edit: Just saw that I was confirmed as GFWL.

What he said lol

I never had any problems with GFWL, it's just very clunky and a bad solution. Constantly spinning circles doing whatever what, useless animation and sound effects, slow reaction to button presses.

Steam would have been the way to go.

Zimbardo

There are plenty of GFWL games on steam though. Fallout 3, GTAIV, Bulletstorm, RE5, Etc.

They'd be stupid not to put it on Steam.

ya, i'm sure it'll be on Steam ...they'd be unbelievably stupid to not put it on there.

i own probably a dozen GFWL games on Steam ...ie, Lost Planet 1 and 2, the Batman games, Fallout 3, etc ....so i'm used to it, and never had any problems with it.

i'll pre order it as soon as they put it up on Steam.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Z2814.jpg

Hold out hope!

Pranay

"Ni no Kuni will be in stores in Q1 2013 in North America and Europe complete with language support for each territory. We cannot wait to make this game available to our overseas fans"

The Fuck ?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The difference is important.

For those wondering about the GFWL hate, we've had entire threads about it.

TL;dr version - think about the kind of game Dark Souls is. Now think about the fact that one of the most common complaints about the GFWL software is that it makes a habit of corrupting save files.

Yeah.

Carm

i never had any problems with GFWL ...i just really prefer Steamworks.

i'm buying it regardless. i'll get the Xbox achievements to go on my old Gamertag at least.

I wish I could say the same. Besides Arkham Asylum, just erasing saves, my most recent issue was Bioshock 2. Almost every time I'd save while playing, it would error out, and decide I had zero saves. Thankfully they still existed, but I had to keep deleting corrupted saves, otherwise the game wouldn't see any saves.

Well, we have what 4/5 months to petition for Steamworks. If that doesn't work, we can pray, it can be modded completely out like you could in Fallout 3.

Very disappointing news.

Jintor

Well, I must get this now.

Not too blatent. Think Howl's style.

Okay, Tekken Talk. I bet Harada-san will be on stage.

Presenter is showing how awesome they are at selling Tekkan. 40 million v Mortal Combat's 29 mil, 31 mil for Street Fighter (approximation, I'm going off the graph). Apparently they're 9 mil ahead in sales.

Tekkan Tag Tournament 2 logo on screen. New logo? Looks... kind of like... graffiti art... really slick graffiti art. "Unique and aggressive look".

yeah, here we go, Harada-san.

Top Bottom