• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA Turns To Urine As Potential Water Source...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

http://www.local10.com/technology/4305274/detail.html

Brilliant. Makes sense. If you can get over the hangups, it's a lifesaver on a grand scale. Very smart and helpful technology. Reminds me of "Waterworld" where Costner drinks his own piss.

BTW, I'd tap Jeanne Tripplehorn like an Iraqi oil well.

1.jpg

fallout said:
Strange, I thought they already did this on the space station.

No, not exactly. Some waste water (though not urine, I'm pretty sure) is currently filtered and reclaimed for utility uses, such as hand washing and hydrolysis (oxygen generation). But the new system, which has been in development for years, will actually produce drinking water. Currently, all drinking water on the station comes from bags that must be replenished by the Russian Progress supply capsule.

The process of cleaning this water is quite doable on Earth, but it's extremely difficult in space because fluid pumps work poorly, among other things.

fallout

Teh Hamburglar said:
Thats not the point of the article.
Eh? It's related to the article. Since when do posts have to be directly related to the point of the article? It's not like I didn't read it (unlike most in the Red Lake HS shooting thread), I just seemed to remember hearing/reading somewhere that water was recycled on the ISS.
Jonnyboy117 said:
No, not exactly. Some waste water (though not urine, I'm pretty sure) is currently filtered and reclaimed for utility uses, such as hand washing and hydrolysis (oxygen generation). But the new system, which has been in development for years, will actually produce drinking water. Currently, all drinking water on the station comes from bags that must be replenished by the Russian Progress supply capsule.

The process of cleaning this water is quite doable on Earth, but it's extremely difficult in space because fluid pumps work poorly, among other things.
Ah, thanks a lot.

They've been working on this for years. My cousin, who is now 30, worked as an intern on this project back when he was in college. That was at least 7 years ago.

Cool stuff, though.

ShadowRed

Banned
fallout said:
Strange, I thought they already did this on the space station.

No but the Russians have had a simular device working for years. it was on MIR I believe and they wanted to put it on the Space Station, but NASA refussed becaue they were working on sysytem, this on probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom