• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASCAR '08: 360 & PS3 This Summer

shpankey

not an idiot
Fragamemnon said:
Maybe one day we'll see a NASCAR game as good as NASCAR Season 2003.

Until then, that game continues to live on via the PC mod scene. God bless you, Papyrus.
agreed

42442lv9.jpg

miguel_c_hammer said:

hur hur

I've given up on EA making a good NASCAR game. The physics in their games in just crap. I just wish they hadn't purchased the exclusive license to make the games. The Papyrus games were the best, but as far as console games go I miss Monster Games NASCAR games. Dirt to Daytona on Gamecube was great.

Innotech

Banned
NASCAR always sucked but now that it has Toyota Camries in the car circuit and as far as Im concerned now its completely dead to me.

shpankey

not an idiot
Innotech said:
NASCAR always sucked but now that it has Toyota Camries in the car circuit and as far as Im concerned now its completely dead to me.
they're not really any Camries in the races... they all just use car templates.

Dezcom

Fragamemnon said:
Maybe one day we'll see a NASCAR game as good as NASCAR Season 2003.

Until then, that game continues to live on via the PC mod scene. God bless you, Papyrus.

A-****ing-men. RIP Papy. I still have reservations about iRacing. :/

stewy

The NASCAR games have been able to feed radio communications through the headsets on the PS2 and Xbox for a couple of years now. Can't see why 08 would be any different.

DigitalA1chemy said:
hur hur

I've given up on EA making a good NASCAR game. The physics in their games in just crap. I just wish they hadn't purchased the exclusive license to make the games. The Papyrus games were the best, but as far as console games go I miss Monster Games NASCAR games. Dirt to Daytona on Gamecube was great.
Oh man, that just makes me want EXCITECAR.

I've slowly been getting into NASCAR over the last few months, and learning the rules and so forth... I don't know anything about the previous games, but I plan to pick up '08 when it hits. In the meantime I snagged Dirt to Daytona off ebay, since it seems to be the most popular one to date.
Just curious, could you create your own teams, and drivers in the previous EA NASCAR games?

dave360

Yes it had a pretty good career mode IIRC. You started out in modifieds and moved your way from Trucks to Grand National to Nextel.

Greg

Comes out in July? I'm pumped.

It's nice to know that the game is running smooth - really looking forward to this one.

Greg

Any recent news on this? It comes out next week and I haven't heard anything for a month.

I always buy the game for my father as a gift, but the past few versions he's had a hard time controlling with the analog stick, so he hasn't played them much - the addition of the sixaxis controls might be the fix for that, but either way, I haven't heard anything about the game.

mr stroke

Greg said:
Any recent news on this? It comes out next week and I haven't heard anything for a month.

I always buy the game for my father as a gift, but the past few versions he's had a hard time controlling with the analog stick, so he hasn't played them much - the addition of the sixaxis controls might be the fix for that, but either way, I haven't heard anything about the game.

not much has been going around about this game but -gametrailers.com has some game play videos up that look pretty good..but I think what will stand out the most is the 12 player online matches, as long as EA gets the online working smooth this game will kill online...can't wait ;)

Greg

So close to launch, I just want a damn review so I know how the framerate is.

If the game was called anything else, there would be previews of the game every day until the its release, but because it's NASCAR (you know, all you do is turn left anyways...), I haven't heard anything for over a month.

mr stroke

Greg said:
So close to launch, I just want a damn review so I know how the framerate is.

If the game was called anything else, there would be previews of the game every day until the its release, but because it's NASCAR (you know, all you do is turn left anyways...), I haven't heard anything for over a month.

very true......I will be picking this one up tomarow, so I post some thoughts on it tomarow but from what I have seen on gametrailers the videos and pics look pretty solid..and yes we need a GAF league...12 player online FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rothbart

PorscheThunder said:
Thread bumped due to a few new screenshots.
nascar-08-20070323015127692.jpg

nascar-08-20070323015128692.jpg

They look okay, but they're clearly a work in progress, I'll say that much. Here's hoping that they can get it to look better and to have it run at a constant 60 FPS. :)

Yay! Front end screenshots of racing games are AWESOME!

Greg

I know it won't be exactly the same as the PS3 version, but if there is a demo out for 360, someone please tell me how the framerate is.

Dezcom

nathkenn said:
Demo is out. What do you guys think?

I only ran about 3 races, so my quick take:

+ Track design is good.
+ Car design is good.
+ Audio is good like it usually is for most EA racing games.
+ In-car cockpit is always good. :)
+ I can see you guys tried to make crashes a bit more dramatic, it'll take a little getting used to but I like 'em so far.

- I hate, hate, hate the way sparks and smoke billows out when you simply try to bump-draft.
- Steering with the pad is too sensitive/twitchy for my liking. (I don't have a wheel so I can't compare to it.)
- AI seems to drive too sporadic/aggressive for a plate track. (Maybe the pad's twitchy steering is contributing to it?)
- Your car seems to acquire visual damage too easily if you just happen to lightly rub against another car. (Probably related to the weirdness with bump-drafting.)

? Why must you guys torture me by only offering Gibbs' cars for the demo? :( (You can guess I'm not a particular fan of any of them.)

I guess overall, if not for the twitchy steering I'd enjoy it way more, I can't really get immersed in the racing if I constantly have to keep babying the weird steering.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Dezcom said:
I guess overall, if not for the twitchy steering I'd enjoy it way more, I can't really get immersed in the racing if I constantly have to keep babying the weird steering.

Try adjusting the assists, though I'm not sure you can do that in the demo, don't have a 360 :p . I'm on vacation so I havent tried the demo yet.

Dezcom

nathkenn said:
Try adjusting the assists, though I'm not sure you can do that in the demo, don't have a 360 :p . I'm on vacation so I havent tried the demo yet.

The demo doesn't let you adjust options or car setup unfortunately, you only choose which car to drive and whether you want to qualify before you race or not.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Dezcom said:
The demo doesn't let you adjust options or car setup unfortunately, you only choose which car to drive and whether you want to qualify before you race or not.

That's unfortunate. I'm assuming we used Daytona for the demo track? I should know this but I had no dealings with the demo at all. I personally like playing with all assists off and the car tuned properly. The assists always felt too stiff to me. I can't play racing games at all with a controller anyway. I'm looking foward to trying some online with a wheel when I get a 360, particullarly the smaller tracks like Bristol and Richmond those are a lot more exciting.

DCX

DCX
Just got the game going to test it out if a few and will report sometime later tonight.

DCX

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
DCX said:
Just got the game going to test it out if a few and will report sometime later tonight.

DCX

Seems like the sim crowd is digging it. If you're expecting an arcade racer where you immediately come in first place with the default settings expect to be smashing in the walls.

DCX

DCX
nathkenn said:
Seems like the sim crowd is digging it. If you're expecting an arcade racer where you immediately come in first place with the default settings expect to be smashing in the walls.
That's a good thing, i don't expect to be winning until i get a feel for the car and have the right set ups etc.

DCX

Greg

Aw damn, I was worried about how touchy the controls were - i buy the game for my father every year, and each year the controls have become more and more sketchy for him.

Guess I can hope the SIXAXIS steering helps a bit...

DCX

DCX
Well, the game is great! The controls need some time getting used to but it feels great, bumps on the road actually could cause a spin, drafting is HUGE, and the damage model is pretty cool. Won my first online race with Jr, felt great!

- Graphics are a mixed bag. The cars and the damage models are great, the tracks seem like they are lacking. The geometry is nice, the textures are ok, but the crowd and fences are still using last gens art.

- The controls are touchy, but smooth once you get a few laps under your belt. Each track presents a whole new way of controlling these cars. Daytona and Bristol are two entirely different track and are extremely well represented in the game.

So far, i'm loving the experience...once i get past the challenges in Chase mode i get to actually enter a race i will check back in.

DCX

mr stroke

DCX said:
Well, the game is great! The controls need some time getting used to but it feels great, bumps on the road actually could cause a spin, drafting is HUGE, and the damage model is pretty cool. Won my first online race with Jr, felt great!

- Graphics are a mixed bag. The cars and the damage models are great, the tracks seem like they are lacking. The geometry is nice, the textures are ok, but the crowd and fences are still using last gens art.

- The controls are touchy, but smooth once you get a few laps under your belt. Each track presents a whole new way of controlling these cars. Daytona and Bristol are two entirely different track and are extremely well represented in the game.

So far, i'm loving the experience...once i get past the challenges in Chase mode i get to actually enter a race i will check back in.

DCX

how is the 12 player online?? any lag? I havn't seen many 12 player online racing games on consoles so I hope EA can nail this

DCX

DCX
mr stroke said:
how is the 12 player online?? any lag? I havn't seen many 12 player online racing games on consoles so I hope EA can nail this
I only had 4 guys racing and it was like offline for me...i'm sure when the network gets more users on it and 12 player races it will be different, but so far so good. I would love to do a GAF racing League. Race all the tracks once in kinda like a season with points and all :D

DCX

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
DCX said:

DCX

What's wrong with the fences? :p All the poles are 3D and the texture is sharp even close up.
Glad you are liking it so far. If you pay close attention to the smoke it reacts to physics and has that cool z-feathering effect like in that world in conflict dx10 video.

On my downtime I made this dukes of hazzard style hilly track with jumps. I wish I could provide that as a free download or something it was hilarious watching all the chaos that followed.

DCX

DCX
nathkenn said:
What's wrong with the fences :p All the poles are 3D and the texture is sharp even close up.
Glad you are liking it so far. If you pay close attention to the smoke it reacts to physics and has that cool z-feathering effect like in that world in conflict dx10 video.
I like the lighting and how the cars makes shadows on everything includi9ng the walls when you get close.

DCX

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
DCX said:
I like the lighting and how the cars makes shadows on everything includi9ng the walls when you get close.

DCX

That's dynamic occlusion, we also have full realtime shadows. It's a pretty awesome effect when the sun is going down. The noon lighting doesnt look nearly as interesting as later in the races.

Just played the demo and I'm thinking about picking this up here in a day or two. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but the gameplay seems really solid and I can imagine the online play would be pretty fun.

It would be titties if we could organize some sort of racing league like DCX mentioned. Maybe have two days (between races) for practicing on the upcoming track, tweaking the car's settings, and qualifying and then a race every 3 days or so...

DCX

DCX
ChrisJames said:
Just played the demo and I'm thinking about picking this up here in a day or two. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but the gameplay seems really solid and I can imagine the online play would be pretty fun.

It would be titties if we could organize some sort of racing league like DCX mentioned. Maybe have two days (between races) for practicing on the upcoming track, tweaking the car's settings, and qualifying and then a race every 3 days or so...
We really need to do something like this, you can qualify in online races and everything. The problem seems to be alot of gaffers aren't NASCAR fans or not a fan of NASCAR games...no one on my friend list has the game :(

DCX

HokieJoe

nathkenn said:
Demo is out. What do you guys think?

I'm not impressed with the demo. The steering is janked up with a controller. The damage effects seem over-the-top when bump drafting, and the sound is unimpressive IMO. Is the steering response supposed to be better with the wheel? Does the demo support the wheel?

Not to troll around, but the Nascar demo for the 360 looks like an early PS2-game. I mean holy crap, how could they make the graphics THAT worse than on the screenshots?

DCX

DCX
Klaxon said:
Not to troll around, but the Nascar demo for the 360 looks like an early PS2-game. I mean holy crap, how could they make the graphics THAT worse than on the screenshots?
? What are you playing on? The visuals look pretty good. Early PS2, need i remind you what an early PS2 game looks like?

DCX

DCX

DCX
I must say, the Chase mode is a test of will. Christ, i haven't had such a hard time getting gold medals since maybe Burnout Revenge on those lap challenges. The Wreck avoidance is more like a god's will challenge :lol ALmost impossible in gold. Still loving the game, the online sucks if you have douches wrecking every lap on purpose because of the cautions, 3 actual laps raced and 30 laps done :/

DCX

Top Bottom