• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natsume appreciation thread

ElTopo

Banned
Natsume are one of the more obscure developers during the 8 and 16 bit eras. And they're often confused with two other companies also called Natsume. Just a note: the Wikipedia page is wrong. The Natsume that made Harvest Moon and Pocky and Rocky are not the same company that made the games I'm talking about.

In the NES era, developers were rarely properly credited so tracking down every Natsume title is a bit difficult. But most of the games (the action/platformers in particular) have a certain quality that instantly reminds the player of Natsume's masterpiece Shatterhand.

Shatterhand_cover.jpg

Play this game. Drop whatever you're doing and play this game. This is one of the greatest action/platformer titles ever made and on par with any of your Megaman titles.

Shadow_of_the_Ninja_cover.jpg

A Ninja Gaiden ripoff that's a fair bit different from Gaiden and has a different take on difficulty. Instead of being mobbed by hordes of quickly spawning enemies with unlimited continues. This time you deal with at-most 2-3 enemies at a time, once they're killed they stay dead, but you have 5 continues and 1 life per continue without any extra lives or continues to collect. Damn good game. So good that Tecmo bought the rights to the Gameboy version and published it as a Ninja Gaiden title on the system.

Abadox_box_art.jpg

A ripoff of Lifeforce but it greatly ramps up the difficulty. On the plus side you have infinite continues and the game is basically like Gradius in that if you hold on to your powerups the game isn't too difficult. Great Shmup with a darker atmosphere than your average title on the system.

S.C.A.T._-_Special_Cybernetic_Attack_Team_%28game_box_art%29.jpg

Well, that's an unfortunate title. But it is a fun Shmup in the vein of Capcom's Forgotten Worlds. Worth checking out.

Power_Blade_Boxart.jpg

Now, I'm unsure if Natsume developed the original Japanese version of the game called Power Blazer which was a pretty terrible Mega Man ripoff. Or they developed the American version known as Power Blade. There's no information. But Power Blade and it's sequel are damn good action/platformers worth playing.

Power_Blade_2_cover.png

Dragon_Fighter_cover.jpg

This is probably one of their most obscure titles that got a Western release. Playing it definitely reminds you of Shatterhand at times but it has an interesting gimmick where you can used charge shots with different abilities and charge up to turn into a dragon. Good game.

Choijin Sentai Jetman. Never got a Western release. One of those Super Sentai shows that had footage pilfered for Power Rangers. Good little game but it's on the easy side and can be beaten pretty effortlessly in about 15-20 minutes.

The Three-Eyed One. Another Japanese exclusive but based on a manga. Some people like this one but I'm not a big fan. I find it too slow. It does have a nice idea with the store system and buying upgrades.

Games possibly done by Natsume:

Ninja Warriors (SNES). A beat 'em up title. Pretty decent.

Wild Guns (SNES). A gallery shooter. Easily one of the best of the genre and an amazing game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
...I'm pretty sure there was only ever one Natsume.

I mean, the logo for Shadow of the Ninja is the same Natsume logo that Harvest Moon for example has.

ElTopo

Banned
...I'm pretty sure there was only ever one Natsume.

I mean, the logo for Shadow of the Ninja is the same Natsume logo that Harvest Moon for example has.

I asked one of the employees of the Natsume that made Harvest Moon and Pocky and Rocky and they said that there were 3 Natsume companies and the one that made the games I listed are not affiliated with the one that made Harvest Moon and Pocky and Rocky. The Natsume that made the games I listed seems to be no longer around and/or transitioned into making cell phone apps and games.

This is the Tumblr for the community manager who clarified this: http://ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com/

I mean, it's possible that she could be wrong but the company she manages has put out Pocky and Rocky and the Harvest Moons on Virtual Console. So, if they can put those games out then why not Shatterhand or Shadow of the Ninja?

I asked one of the employees of the Natsume that made Harvest Moon and Pocky and Rocky and they said that there were 3 Natsume companies and the one that made the games I listed are not affiliated with the one that made Harvest Moon and Pocky and Rocky. The Natsume that made the games I listed seems to be no longer around and/or transitioned into making cell phone apps and games.

Sounds like you're referring to the actual dev team (or teams?) that created these games. That might be true, but Natsume is the publisher of many of these titles, even today.

I mean, it's possible that she could be wrong but the company she manages has put out Pocky and Rocky and the Harvest Moons on Virtual Console. So, if they can put those games out then why not Shatterhand or Shadow of the Ninja?

Shadow of the Ninja is on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS and is published by Natsume. S.C.A.T. and Wild Guns are on VC as well. They probably don't own the publishing rights to Shatterhand and Power Blade in the west.

I have a special place in my heart for Natsume.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow is a great follow up to Shadow of the Ninja and the music is incredible for a GameBoy game.

shadow.png

I have a special place in my heart for Natsume.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow is a great follow up to Shadow of the Ninja and the music is incredible for a GameBoy game.

shadow.png

That game is awesome! It's weird (and great) how Tecmo saw Shadow of the Ninja and then had that team create a Ninja Gaiden game for them.

ElTopo

Banned
Sounds like you're referring to the actual dev team (or teams?) that created these games. That might be true, but Natsume is the publisher of many of these titles, even today.

Shadow of the Ninja is on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS and is published by Natsume. S.C.A.T. and Wild Guns are on VC as well. They probably don't own the publishing rights to Shatterhand and Power Blade in the west.

You're free to ask the community manager yourself to clarify. They made it seem like there's 3 totally different Natsume's.

You're free to ask the community manager yourself to clarify. They made it seem like there's 3 totally different Natsume's.

Well, Natsume is a publisher and a developer, correct? It wouldn't surprise me at all if many of the teams responsible for their NES output no longer work with the company. But the current Natsume does seem to own the rights to most, if not all, of those games.

Like, it's a fact that the the same Natsume who publishes the Harvest Moon games also published Shadow of the Ninja and Wild Guns on the Virtual Console.

Takao

Banned
There are multiple Natsume companies. The one that developed the games OP listed is currently known as Natsume Atari. The US Natsume was originally started as their localization office but gained independence in the mid/late 90s. That Natsume would later open their own development studio in Japan.

ElTopo

Banned
Well, Natsume is a publisher and a developer, correct? It wouldn't surprise me at all if many of the teams responsible for their NES output no longer work with the company. But the current Natsume does seem to own the rights to most, if not all, of those games.

Like, it's a fact that the the same Natsume who publishes the Harvest Moon games also published Shadow of the Ninja and Wild Guns on the Virtual Console.

I asked about Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand and the Community Manager said that they were different by a totally different company also called Natsume and have no affiliation.

There are multiple Natsume companies. The one that developed the games OP listed is currently known as Natsume Atari. The US Natsume was originally started as their localization office but gained independence in the mid/late 90s. That Natsume would later open their own development studio in Japan.

Edit: Beaten.

This is what I figured. The dev team split but Natsume still owns the rights to many of those titles. And the Wikipedia page talks about this, which is where I got confused, since the OP said it was inaccurate.

I asked about Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand and the Community Manager said that they were different by a totally different company also called Natsume and have no affiliation.

Yes, the development team is no longer affiliated with them. Natsume, however, owns the rights to Shadow of the Ninja, at least. Possibly not stuff like Shatterhand though, since that game still isn't on the VC (a damn shame). I understand what you're speaking about now.

@MUWANdo

Banned

There are three loosely-associated companies with the name Natsume:

Natsume-Atari (formerly Natsume Co. Inc) is the original Japanese company and the one that made all the games you're talking about (including Pocky & Rocky 1/2) and many more besides, including the recent Godzilla game. The name Natsume-Atari is recent; it came about as the result of a merger with an amusement/pachinki company called Atari (no relation to the Atari we all know).

Natsume USA is a company that formerly existed as the US publishing branch of Natsume-Atari but is essentially an independently owned/run company nowadays and has been for around 20 years. They published many but not all of Natsume-Atari's classic 8/16-bit games and still own the western publishing rights to most of the games they published back then.

Natsume Inc. Japan is a Japanese studio that was recently established by Natsume USA to develop their new "Harvest Moon" games and other mobile endeavours; again, they're not really affiliated with Natsume-Atari.

Well whichever iteration handled Shatterhand and especially Wild Guns, they get my seal of approval. Wild Guns is a blast to play. I'd love to do co-op with that someday.

Natsume-Atari (formerly Natsume Co. Inc) is the original Japanese company and the one that made all the games you're talking about (including Pocky & Rocky 1/2) and many more besides, including the recent Godzilla game. The name Natsume-Atari is recent; it came about as the result of a merger with an amusement/pachinki company called Atari (no relation to the Atari we all know).

Natsume USA is a company that formerly existed as the US publishing branch of Natsume-Atari but is essentially an independently owned/run company nowadays and has been for around 20 years. They published many but not all of Natsume-Atari's classic 8/16-bit games and still own the western publishing rights to most of the games they published back then.

Natsume Inc. Japan is a Japanese studio that was recently established by Natsume USA to develop their new "Harvest Moon" games and other mobile endeavours; again, they're not really affiliated with Natsume-Atari.

Thanks for this explanation.

Voliko

Shatterhand is top 10 NES. Better than any of the Mega Mans. The soundtrack is stellar too; Konami-tier.

I'll need to check out Dragon Fighter, never heard of it.

Vlaphor

Power_Blade_2_cover.png

There are muscles...and then there are "aliens have laid eggs inside of your arms". I think this is the latter.

Jazz573

Still say it's the same company. Just that it had some parts break off.

ElTopo

Banned
I just beat Dragon Warrior. Damn good game. The graphics are a bit on the simple side but otherwise I'd say it's pretty much perfect in terms of execution. Shadow of the Ninja is very close to being perfect but there's a couple of weapons that are not great against bosses that kinda' fuck you if you pick them up.

I consider Dragon Warrior, Shadow of the Ninja, Jetman, and debatably Power Blade to be kinda' like prototypes of what Shatterhand would be. Dragon Warrior has the powerup ability and the ability to transform into something. Shadow of the Ninja has the atmosphere and graphics. And Jetman is a little bit of both and Power Blade has that strong Western appeal and a transform ability.

Jazz573

Shatterhand is top 10 NES. Better than any of the Mega Mans. The soundtrack is stellar too; Konami-tier.

I'll need to check out Dragon Fighter, never heard of it.

Shatterhand actually was just published by them. It was made by a developer called Angel. The original is actually based on a tokusatsu show called Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain (Super Rescue Solbrain), basically a show similar to Super Sentai (i.e. Power Rangers)..

I'm mistaken. Natsume made Solbrain/Shatterhand and it was published in Japan by Angel and Jaleco in NA/EU.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Shatterhand actually was just published by them. It was made by a developer called Angel. The original is actually based on a tokusatsu show called Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain (Super Rescue Solbrain), basically a show similar to Super Sentai (i.e. Power Rangers)..

Wrong way around: Natsume made the game, Angel was the publisher.

If you've played Shadow of the Ninja and/or Ninja Gaiden Shadow you'll immediately see the similarities.

Jazz573

Wrong way around: Natsume made the game, Angel was the publisher.

If you've played Shadow of the Ninja and/or Ninja Gaiden Shadow you'll immediately see the similarities.

Yep. I noticed the issue and I updated my post.

Also seems Angel was a Bandai subsidiary.

Which is the Natsume that made the SNES version of Spanky's Quest? Because as much as the indirect attacking bubble mechanic confounded me as a 7-year-old renting it, I find that whole game incredibly delightful today in an arcadey Bubble Bobbley sort of way.

P.S. Did you guys know that there's a rather blue joke in the title

I am always impressed with Natsume. I cannot believe that the publisher responsible for the beloved Harvest Moon on SNES is still around and largely making the same game in the same or similar franchise. Nobody else, not even Nintendo, has gotten away with that, but somehow Natsume endures.

Edit: Damnit, wrong Natsume. Oh well....

Top Bottom