• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Disaster Films

I've been on a natural disaster movie kick lately, was hoping for some recommendations. I feel like I've watched every single major natural disaster film, definitely all the blockbusters, but was wondering if I might be missing some.

In no particular order, over the past week or so I've watched:

San Andreas
The Core
Into the Storm
Greenland
Don't Look Up
Armageddon
Deep Impact
Knowing
The Wandering Earth
The Wave
The Day After Tomorrow
Twister
Geo Storm
Volcano
Aftershock
Melancholia
Sunshine
edit: I'm aware pretty much every movie on this list is terrible. idk why I can't stop watching them. guilty pleasure I guess?

I've also watched countless random horrible films like the recent Chinese mega blockbuster Skyfire:

it's basically volcanos meets Jurassic World. it's terrible. really, really terrible. at least the lead actress is cute. but I'm so desperate for natural disaster films I stuck with it.

I'm at a point where I'm actually debating watching The Asylum films. for the unfamiliar, The Asylum are responsible for knockoff blockbusters like Atlantic Rim. They became well known with Sharkando. They have a huge library of natural disaster films, such as:

san-andreas-quake.jpg

8a97e745a9dcf76d7b3d353bd27dbf2d.jpg

s-l500.jpg

MV5BMmVlMmRkZjgtNTY1Ny00YWNlLWE2MGEtMjg3MzgyNzg2NzFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM1NjY0NA@@._V1_.jpg

You get the idea. pls help.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Hard Rain

Some Wolfgang Petersen stuff?

And of course, Roland Emmerich's Moonfall which is only a month away....

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The film is average at best, but have you watched Pompeii? It's based on true events, but it plays hard and lose with the facts. Still, better than some disaster films on the original list.

mSoSOUj.jpg

nush

Gold Member
If you're wanting to complete the genre, you might want to go back to some of the originals: Airport

I actually watched this over the holidays, the first one as the title suggests focuses more ON the Airport. It's the later movies in the series that focus on the Airplane side of the disaster.

Anyway Airport is still great and George Kennedy is a fucking boss!

I collect VHS tapes I collect VHS tapes don't be sleeping on The Towering Inferno, it's the GOAT. Those movies listed in the OP are millennial weak sauce.

Greenland for me was the most realistic depiction of a natural disaster as compared to Armageddon. Deep Impact is also up there.

All in all they're great movies. Feel like firing up a few of them right now lol. Thanks for starting this thread OP.

thanks guys I'll check out some of the classics
Melancholia maybe? Far more of a slow burn drama than your typical natural disaster popcorn flick, but technically it qualifies
technically it does

if we count it as one, it is by far the best film of the genre IMO.

movie is incredible

I'll add it to my list of watched movies, not sure why I left it off

someone else recommended Sunshine which technically probably counts, it's a great film but I consider it more of a scifi thriller

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Ad Astra could also maybe technically count as one. It isn't in the traditional sense, but the mission Brad Pitt goes on was to save the galaxy or whatever.

Contagion could technically count also.

Biff

Cool thread idea - thanks for posting. Do you have a top 2 or 3 from the list you'd recommend?

Cool thread idea - thanks for posting. Do you have a top 2 or 3 from the list you'd recommend?
The Wave is excellent if you just want a solid disaster flick. Greenland is also surprisingly good. I expected trash and was pleasantly surprised.

Dumb blockbuster popcorn film:
Day After Tomorrow - this movie is objectively pretty bad but I always have a fun time watching it

Excellent films that are technically disaster:
Melancholia (depressing drama but great)
Sunshine if you can even count it, like I said earlier tho it’s a sci-fi thriller. While I think Melancholia meets the criteria for this thread not sure I can say Sunshine does

Geo storm is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, just a warning. It has Gerald Butler, whose in Greenland, but it’s a much much stupider movie

Greenland / The Wave / Day After Tomorrow would make a fun triple feature

Watch Day After Tomorrow in the middle maybe as a break as it’s definitely more light in subject matter

Edit: make sure you watch the right The Wave. You want the Norwegian film from 2016

That one

Last edited:

Biff

The Wave is excellent if you just want a solid disaster flick. Greenland is also surprisingly good. I expected trash and was pleasantly surprised.

Dumb blockbuster popcorn film:
Day After Tomorrow - this movie is objectively pretty bad but I always have a fun time watching it

Excellent films that are technically disaster:
Melancholia (depressing drama but great)
Sunshine if you can even count it, like I said earlier tho it’s a sci-fi thriller. While I think Melancholia meets the criteria for this thread not sure I can say Sunshine does

Geo storm is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, just a warning. It has Gerald Butler, whose in Greenland, but it’s a much much stupider movie

Greenland / The Wave / Day After Tomorrow would make a fun triple feature

Watch Day After Tomorrow in the middle maybe as a break as it’s definitely more light in subject matter

Edit: make sure you watch the right The Wave. You want the Norwegian film from 2016

That one
I've never heard of either The Wave or Greenland but they both sound right up my alley... Added to the Watch List! Thanks :)

I've never heard of either The Wave or Greenland but they both sound right up my alley... Added to the Watch List! Thanks :)
If you dig the wave I think they recently made a sequel called The Quake

I haven’t gotten around to watching it for some reason. It’s supposed to be good too

OP, have you watched the Quake, a movie from Norway? It came out two-three years ago. There's also a South Korean film titled Heundae (Tidal Wave), which is a bit older.

Top Bottom