• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog says the preview/interview for Last of US from M!Games is not accurate

nofi

That's weird. M!Games is the oldest console magazine in Germany, and has always been quite good and respectable. They never seemed like the kind of outlet to make shit up.

Haven't read them in a while, but when I did they were my favorites by far.

That's the odd part. I don't understand why Druckmann hasn't categorically stated which bits are fake and which aren't. Unless there's considerable mis translation (two ways, I guess) then you have to assume the mag information is correct.

If Neil comes on and says "the input lag is nonsense" then fine, that's it all cleared up.

Tagg9

So it sounds like M!Games fabricated most of it? Or at least exaggerated certain statements from Druckmann?

Seeing as the full interview was typed up and verified by a few members here, I'm convinced it's legitimate.

The Jason

That's the odd part. I don't understand why Druckmann hasn't categorically stated which bits are fake and which aren't. Unless there's considerable mis translation (two ways, I guess) then you have to assume the mag information is correct.

If Neil comes on and says "the input lag is nonsense" then fine, that's it all cleared up.

He did deny the input lag comment when someone asked on twitter. But yes there should be, in due course, an explanation as to what is accurate or not.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
All this misinformation is kinda frustrating. I had legit excitement over some of that info, especially Joel's injury system.

Hopefully this bullshit can be cleared up in detail soon, once and for all.

I read like a paragraph at the OP and then I stopped. TBH, I really don't want to read anything about the game. I want it to surprise me and make me go wow on its own merits.

TLOU can't come soon enough.

This is a franchise that feels so new/fresh that I really don't care to ruin my experience.

Corto

Maybe ND are just getting sure that something wasn't added or lost on translation and what really is on the magazine. It could be ground to some legal action even and in that case they need to be extra careful.

nofi

So it sounds like M!Games fabricated most of it? Or at least exaggerated certain statements from Druckmann?

Seeing as the full interview was typed up and verified by a few members here, I'm convinced it's legitimate.

Didn't someone in the other thread say it read like it was written by someone not on the usual staff? I might be mixing things up of course.

We had someone write up a Killzone Mercenary preview as we didn't get an invite to the Amsterdam event but someone did that helped us out.

Maybe it's that?

arne

Not true. If it was a press event he probably gave interviews to dozens of sites/mags.

I don't have the list of press with us, but this would have had to have been at a press event where we had over 90 journalists attending. It starts to get to be a blur after a while. :)

nofi

I don't have the list of press with us, but this would have had to have been at a press event where we had over 90 journalists attending. It starts to get to be a blur after a while. :)

Quite.

I'm happy to run a post addressing the "input lag" aspect if it's an issue. That was never my intention Arne.

StuBurns

Banned
The 'one' true thing has me curious, I wonder if it's Ellie having 'command lines', because that sounds like a really bad idea. Not very Naughty Dog either. I'm really interested in this goal developers seem to share in building an enjoyable, frustration-free AI partner. It's funny this is coming so close to BioShock Infinite. PoP and HL2 both did some cool stuff, and Ico of course, but it was never what it should have been (Ico is what it should have been, but it's not attempting the same thing really), and LMNO never got off the ground. I'd be surprised, (and interested to hear about) if Ellie was ever anything other than wholly independent.

DGRE

Banned
Right. I figured as much.

Hope you guys can get out in front of this one. It's no fun having to divert focus and energy to something you shouldn't have to.

nofi

It's been translated, but now what the mag printed as facts is being seriously questioned. It sure is getting... interesting. :p

Read his tweet again. He's saying the interview quotes aren't right, not the article, from what I can see his first issue was with the mention of input lag, and now the quotes.

No?

duckroll

Read his tweet again. He's saying the interview quotes aren't right, not the article, from what I can see his first issue was with the mention of input lag, and now the quotes.

No?

No, the entire article itself is in question, based on what has been translated of it, and multiple people who can read German and have seen the magazine in question have confirmed that those points are actually in the article.

I think it'll be best to wait and see how Naughty Dog responds to this, since they've clearly aware that there's something very fishy going on now.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If this is all based on some preview event in L.A.: Can anyone point to some regular mainstream coverage that is based on information of that event, or is that embargoed still?

softie

Pretty interesting how things turned out. Regardless of what statements are "real" or not, I find it astounding, that so many features of the game are still unknown, despite of the news coverage we had for this game. So much doubt and uncertainty for a game that comes out in two months? That's weird...

As for the translations and brief summarizations provided in the thread, I can say they cover what's stated in the magazine.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Pretty interesting how things turned out. Regardless of what statements are "real" or not, I find it astounding, that so many features of the game are still unknown, despite of the news coverage we had for this game. So much doubt and uncertainty for a game that comes out in two months? That's weird...
Maybe they learned from showing all the stuff in Uncharted 3? I was on a blackout for that game after the initial reveal but others followed every bit of it and they didn't like it as much as I did.
I think that is because they knew about all the locations and scenarios.

Sony could have changed the way they do preview footage across the company too.

Aram, the God of War: Ascension marketing PR whatever person said that they deliberately mostly showed multiplayer, and very little singleplayer because of not spoiling the game.

Game spoilers are different from movie or book spoilers. Locations, scenarios and such are more important.

Top Bottom