• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k16's My Player story sure is something

Amory

I buy NBA 2k every year, going back to 2011. MyCareer mode is what keeps me coming back year after year.

But this year....yeeesh. I kind of like the idea of having Spike Lee directing and making everything unfold like a movie. But man, the execution really couldn't have been much worse.

• Frequency Vibrations (Freq for short) is one of the lamest nicknames they could've possibly come up with. And you're stuck with it forever, even after completion of the story.
  • You're allowed to make exactly 3 decisions in the story, and two of them are inconsequential (where to go to HS, where to go to college). Other than that, you float along through the story until it reaches its conclusion. Which really makes no sense since the game constantly throws choices at the main character, but doesn't let you choose what to do.
  • The characters are so annoying. Particularly your twin sister (who's black, along with the rest of your family, even if you're playing as a white guy. That was kind of funny, actually) and your best friend Vic.
  • Speaking of Vic, he's an asshole the entire story and then when he's killed off in the end, you're supposed to be sad for some reason. The story overall tries to be very dramatic, but doesn't earn any of the drama.
  • Bo$$-Key-Yacht$
  • The story doesn't match up with your on-court play. You could be playing horribly and then get your Jordan sneaker deal regardless, or be playing great and have the team owner threaten to cut you from the team for really no reason.
  • The team that drafted my player (the Pistons) ultimately made the playoffs at the end of my 8-game rookie season. They allowed me to play the first game of the playoffs, which we won, and then the story cuts in and the season ends. Why?? You couldn't just delay the end of the story until after we finished the playoff run? Made no sense. Also for a guy who's portrayed as the next LeBron the entire story, the team sure does cut you pretty quick for having a friend they're not a fan of. And then weirdly, after they cut my player, they made the best offer of any team to re-sign me.

DAS49qaY.jpg

Anyway. It doesn't really matter, the gameplay itself is amazing and the graphics look even better than last year. And once you get through the rookie season, I really like being able to do things like signing specific endorsement deals for VC and establishing connections with other star players for different clothes, court designs, etc.

It's just disappointing that the story was such crap, since I think there's real potential there if they actually allowed the player to make a few more choices and created some branching paths. They could shoot just as many cutscenes and just space them out over the first several years of your career to make it feel more substantial, as well.

Hopeful that we'll see some of this in 2k17.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
A Spike Lee Joint.....

Yeah its probably the worst myplayer story ever.. I couldn't finish it soon enough! LOL

U2NUMB

It was so very bad... super happy when it was over. I really hope they go back to a non story type thing.. I dont need that shit.

LifEndz

All the weird and awkward stuff you mentioned was somehow topped by the 8 minute monologue at the end. I was in my home wishing someone was there to experience it with me. So cringe worthy it's not even funny. And some of the racism towards Freq and his friend Vic was so forced it had me thinking maybe Spike shouldn't have been apart of this. Why is the owner suddenly, and very condescendingly, speaking jive to Freq? In fact, why's he so involved in my life? What the fuck is this shit and did anyone check what the hell Spike was up to?

That aside, after you finish the "story" the season stuff is a lot of fun.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I give them props for trying something new, but it really needed to be fleshed out more.

It's more Spike'sPlayer than MyPlayer, you're just playing as some guy(with a horrible nickname) that Spike came up with, I greatly preferred just making up my own story as I went instead of getting all these story lines and characters forced upon me.

It was a given Vic was gonna die. I knew immediately when Freq got the phone call. Also wish you could have played more college ball.

Yeah Spike did too much.

Good thing you get to drop 99% of the bullshit by the time your second season in the NBA rolls around and it opens into the deepest, most engaging MyPlayer experience 2K has put in a game.

I originally thought the whole thing was dumb as hell but now ive softened on it since thinking of it as Spike going Full Kojima. Its the MGS5 narrative horseshit we didnt get!

buyao

Neo Member
You can actually change the nickname after your rookie year somewhere in the settings as far as I can remember. But other than that, I totally agree with you.

Hristi

That Spike Lee joint was a massive disappointed for me too. You can't even win ROTY because they your first year short.

Amory

All the weird and awkward stuff you mentioned was somehow topped by the 8 minute monologue at the end. I was in my home wishing someone was there to experience it with me. So cringe worthy it's not even funny. And some of the racism towards Freq and his friend Vic was so forced it had me thinking maybe Spike shouldn't have been apart of this. Why is the owner suddenly, and very condescendingly, speaking jive to Freq? In fact, why's he so involved in my life? What the fuck is this shit and did anyone check what the hell Spike was up to?

Yes, the monologue at the end was so awkward that it was kind of amazing.

It was like the story had portrayed Vic as a complex person with a tough past, when they really just portrayed him as a selfish dickhead who ends up blackmailing your character

and the monologue just kept going and going. it was maybe the best part of the story

LifEndz

You can actually change the nickname after your rookie year somewhere in the settings as far as I can remember. But other than that, I totally agree with you.

You can change your secondary nickname, which results in you being referred to as Freq and whatever other nickname you pick. No option to completely get rid of the Freq moniker.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Why was everybody so mad at Vic anyway? He was an annoying ass but everyone in the story except the player treated him as the personification of Satan. Was he a drug dealer or a gang member but they couldn't say it because of the age rating?

But yeah, the whole story mode was terrible. I'd be ok with something like FN Champion, which was cliched but still good but Spike Lee just made a lazily put together, cringeworthy version of He Got Game. Can't imagine that they paid him for this shit

It was doomed the moment it was revealed that your character's name was Frequency Vibrations.

Frequency fucking Vibrations man.

Fuck.

LifEndz

Why was everybody so mad at Vic anyway? He was an annoying ass but everyone in the story except the player treated him as the personification of Satan. Was he a drug dealer or a gang member but they couldn't say it because of the age rating?

But yeah, the whole story mode was terrible. I'd be ok with something like FN Champion, which was cliched but still good but Spike Lee just made a lazily put together, cringeworthy version of He Got Game. Can't imagine that they paid him for this shit

Agreed, but I think that it could've been salvaged by giving the player more agency. More choices as to who I associate with, when to leave college, how to respond to a prying owner and when to cut off a hanger-on that's trying to blackmail me. And I'd really like it if the story had somehow reacted to how I'm playing. If I'm tearing it up, maybe make so the owner ignores my off the court stuff. I dunno. Whatever they do, I hope they don't spoon feed another straight to dvd quality storyline.

It was doomed the moment it was revealed that your character's name was Frequency Vibrations.

Frequency fucking Vibrations man.

Fuck.

freq'n and vibin!

foreal tho, OP nailed it. just terrible. that first high school game when vic is recording those high school cheerleaders on his phone, just catcalling them, asking 'em if they want to meet up and to call him...i sat there shaking my head at how atrocious that shit was.

Amory

I did like that they included some college games.

God I wish we could have a new college hoops game with the graphics and gameplay of the modern 2k series.

I didn't buy 2k this year for this reason. I don't want a "story" I want to play basketball....

Edit; I just want a traditional single player that judges you based on actual play CORRECTLY

Unmarked spoilers in the ops post that come outta nowhere... I know the story isn't meant to be great but that shouldn't give you a free pass on posting about character deaths.

After some time, I was able to see how bad it was in the grand scheme of things. At first, I was down with it tbh. I liked the story, but meh... It was so cliché. The biggest offense to me, was having a girlfriend in the game and the atrocities that the graphics team did in bringing her to life. Irl, she was gorgeous, however in the game, she looks like crazy. I hated it and I hope next year, they never ever give you a girlfriend and dismiss the whole family thing and open it up to a better story starting from college with a true basketball experience. Not everything has to be from rags to riches.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I did like that they included some college games.

God I wish we could have a new college hoops game with the graphics and gameplay of the modern 2k series.

Yeah, I would love if the series returned as a digital only title that would be released a couple of months before each new NBA 2K game. It wouldn't need to have anything more than MyPlayer, a franchise mode,an online/offline exhibition mode and just allow you to import saves to NBA 2K like the old games.

I hate how much they dumbed down MyCareer since they introduced the stupid VC system. They removed the Summer League, D-League and everything else that made the mode so content rich. It also bugs me how your stats no longer decay when you're getting old

Amory

Unmarked spoilers in the ops post that come outta nowhere... I know the story isn't meant to be great but that shouldn't give you a free pass on posting about character deaths.

sorry, i thought about spoilering but didn't think it really mattered. probably should've just erred on the side of caution

antitrop

After hearing Alex Navarro describe it on Giant Bomb's GOTY podcasts, I had to see it for myself, so I went on YouTube. It was quite something. The whole part at the end where Vic's ghost talks to the camera was just too fucking weird.

It's easy to see what they were going for, but man... like, what the actual fuck happened to the execution?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Terrible story aside, what really makes this system so bad is how you spend hours going through it with the crappiest character for what? A little VC at the end of the whole thing? It isn't long before you start staring at that buy VC button especially if you want to hop online or build some alts. I find the structure of My Career to be predatory.

Amory

Terrible story aside, what really makes this system so bad is how you spend hours going through it with the crappiest character for what? A little VC at the end of the whole thing? It isn't long before you start staring at that buy VC button especially if you want to hop online or build some alts. I find the structure of My Career to be predatory.

I kind of like that it's a universal currency, and even your contract terms are given in VC per game. Overall though, yeah, buying VC is way too tempting with how stingy they are in giving it out.

Tubobutts

Especially when they spend the story mode talking about how great you are but you start off with the lowest rating in the whole NBA. I got picked 10th (Even though everyone was talking like I was going to first), and it was like a 20 point difference in rating between me and the 9th pick.

Amory

It sure is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyujjWBDGKo

Mostly I can't believe an entire team of people thought an 8 minute long cutscene of a dead guy in a white seatsuit reading a letter he wrote out loud was a good idea. Truly baffling.

the most absurd thing about it was that Vic had like zero role in the story other than causing trouble and generally being a jerk

the 8 minute monologue would've been ridiculous even if they had made an effort to make him a sympathetic character, but they never did. so it just comes out of nowhere. which just makes it really funny.

ViciousDS

Banned

which made it even more awkward, I played as a white dude......it was not definitely thought out AT ALL

Tankard

It's definitely one of the worst stories i've seen in a video game, luck that that's not really what matters in this game at all.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah, I never even finished it. I usually love MyPlayer and dick around until I learn how to effectively cheese the AI but I basically just went straight to ranked matches this year.

It was really cheesy and lame.

Sami+

I just want the next game to have a good tutorial because I didn't know wtf I was doing the whole time I played 2k16. But yeah the story mode did suck

Top Bottom