• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM (Wii) E3 2010 Impressions

Mock if loled.

Did anybody else at E3 get to play this game aside from myself? It honestly is NBA JAM in its truest form and it definitely hearkened memories of NBA JAM TE way back in the day. If you've played the oldies before, it feels exactly the same. The demo I played had the Lakers (Kobe/Gasol) vs the Cavs (LeBron/Snaq). In fitting form to last night's Finals, I chose the Lakers and won. :D From what I remember, these were the controls.

- Z was turbo
- B was steal/push
- A was pass
- Flicking the Wiimote up was shooting/blocking

There was also a button for spins/crossovers, but I don't remember doing any of those at all. The gameplay felt exactly the same as NBA JAM and TE. Awesome dunks, pushing fools to the floor, fiyah, it's all there. Since it's been a long time since I last played the predecessors, in this version if you get pushed to the ground and still have the ball, you can still dish it off to your teammate. Didn't get too much time to play, but damn was it fun. Graphics looked great in classic NBA JAM caricature action.

The rep told me it was slated to come out in October around the start of the 2010-2011 season. Can't fucking wait!!! :D :D :D

ShineALight said:
I didn't know about the flick controls. They weren't a nuisance? Does it support the CC or Gamecube controller?
I didn't ask about the controller options, but I'm sure they are there. As for the flick controls, they actually felt pretty fun after getting acclimated with them very quickly. I found myself flicking up and hammering down a lot during dunks. Did it change anything during a dunk? I have no idea, but it felt good. :lol

Penguin

This would be an easier pill to swallow if online.

My friends and I don't get together as often to play games anymore. Haha

AniHawk

slamming dunks with the flick controls was pretty awesome, yeah.

that said, it sounds like it might be getting a port to the other systems, and the wii version might not be online, so personally, i might wait.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sounds pretty fun, has there been any gameplay footage from E3 released?
I'm not big on sports games, but I love the simplistic arcadey stuff like the old school NBA Jam's and Tecmo Bowl so I'm looking forward to this.

AniHawk

pakkit said:

well, nothing too concrete, but when i asked the guy if it nba jam would be online, responded, "for the wii?"

and then when my friend asked if it was being ported to other systems he said something like "it's just for the wii right now."

he also was talking about how they got the stills for the heads, and that they were getting them through real sports photography, and if there were more recent games with better faces, they could easily add them in. At this point i might've been reading things the wrong way, but it sounds like something that might happen with patches.

YagizY

ShineALight said:
I didn't know about the flick controls. They weren't a nuisance? Does it support the CC or Gamecube controller?

Jeff from Giantbomb stated that they did have an option for classic controller.

The M.O.B

This is EA, the company that ported the Wii version of madden 10 and made it into an Arcade game for PSN/XBLA. They will put this on the other consoles 2 or 3 months later and charge $20 for it. And lets be honest, there is too much money out there for them to not do it.

goomba

Banned
13398-161119-BeggingHeaderjpg-620x.jpg

Vizion28

Banned
Did you ask if there was online? I will not buy $50 game that would have sold for $10 on PSN/Xbox Live if there is no online.

Edit: Nevermind. You did asked.

Anyways I just wish once a 3rd party would treat a Wii game as if it was a HD game - meaning not 'gimping' it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
well, nothing too concrete, but when i asked the guy if it nba jam would be online, responded, "for the wii?"

and then when my friend asked if it was being ported to other systems he said something like "it's just for the wii right now."

he also was talking about how they got the stills for the heads, and that they were getting them through real sports photography, and if there were more recent games with better faces, they could easily add them in. At this point i might've been reading things the wrong way, but it sounds like something that might happen with patches.
Fuck, now Kotaku will be over this.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm not going to wait at least 4-6 months to play this on another console.
Will buy on Wii, then resell it if anything better comes by and if the Wii game's missing online (don't see why tho, since "big" EA Sports Wii games all have online modes).

carlo6529

donkey show said:
Mock if loled.

Did anybody else at E3 get to play this game aside from myself? It honestly is NBA JAM in its truest form and it definitely hearkened memories of NBA JAM TE way back in the day. If you've played the oldies before, it feels exactly the same. The demo I played had the Lakers (Kobe/Gasol) vs the Cavs (LeBron/Snaq). In fitting form to last night's Finals, I chose the Lakers and won. :D From what I remember, these were the controls.

- Z was turbo
- B was steal/push
- A was pass
- Flicking the Wiimote up was shooting/blocking

There was also a button for spins/crossovers, but I don't remember doing any of those at all. The gameplay felt exactly the same as NBA JAM and TE. Awesome dunks, pushing fools to the floor, fiyah, it's all there. Since it's been a long time since I last played the predecessors, in this version if you get pushed to the ground and still have the ball, you can still dish it off to your teammate. Didn't get too much time to play, but damn was it fun. Graphics looked great in classic NBA JAM caricature action.

The rep told me it was slated to come out in October around the start of the 2010-2011 season. Can't fucking wait!!! :D :D :D

This makes me happy.

fuckin' aye If this stays Wii exclusive I may need to pick up one of those bastards this fall. DKC Returns at least gives me an extra reason. NBA Jam, DKC, Mortal Kombat....somebody get me my NY Undercover complete series on DVD so I can pretend like its 1994 all over again.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I had a blast playing the game. Played 3 full games. The flick controls take a bit of getting used to, but I had no issues. Looks great, plays great and seems full of bonuses/unlockables.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Taxman

Played a game and fell in love all over again. I used to play TE all the time on my SNES and I had forgotten how fun the game is. I was told it supports the CC.

Manmedaz

I spoke with the art director on the game, and he told me that they are definitely looking into the online mode, and will add it if they can have a good and fluid enough result. he also told me to stay tuned for an announcement about it in the near future, should it be added.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Manmedaz said:
I spoke with the art director on the game, and he told me that they are definitely looking into the online mode, and will add it if they can have a good and fluid enough result. he also told me to stay tuned for an announcement about it in the near future, should it be added.
Oh hell yes! I hope they get it added. That will prevent me from doing anything in my life for at least 4 months.

scitek

I played this for the first time at E3, too. It's fucking amazingly fun and the animations are silky smooth. The flick controls work surprisingly well to engage you further in the experience because you'll start to actually SLAM the dunks home with your hands, sort of giving an "In your face, bitch!" feeling when it happens. Really looking forward to its release, though I hope it has online.

stuminus3

That looks awesome! Glad to see it looks like EA are taking this seriously, after those horrible, horrible NBA Live games they shit out on Wii.

Would be kind of odd if it ships with no online, though.

Top Bottom