• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 09: IGN Preview

bdoughty

Banned
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/882/882412p1.html

The first thing that players will be introduced to is the NBA Live Academy, which will act as the hub for all activity within the game. Essentially a practice facility for your favorite team, this gym features two full courts where your team will work on skills, such as their jump shots and defensive plays. To further help you with your game, you'll find a number of assistants and the head coach scattered around the court observing your practice and your moves. By taking a player over to one of these coaches, you can work on one of 40 separate skill challenges designed to get you accustomed to NBA Live 09's new gameplay mechanics.

Outside of that, FIBA Mode returns with 24 separate teams that can be selected from around the world. These teams have their own courts and the AI abides by FIBA Rules, which can make it somewhat of a challenge for players accustomed to the NBA. In fact, players can take an NBA squad and pit them against a FIBA team to see which organization is better. Apart from this, players can also enter the Be A Pro mode, which allows players to select one player from a team and experience the game from their perspective. This can be done offline or online as well, now that there is five on five online team play where ten different people can control separate players on the court. Along with online custom leagues, there could be quite a lot to NBA Live 09 when it's released this October.

nba-live-09-20080617010939942_640w.jpg

nba-live-09-20080617010945051_640w.jpg

nba-live-09-20080617010957801_640w.jpg

nba-live-09-20080617011022347_640w.jpg

nba-live-09-20080617010933771_640w.jpg

nba-live-09-20080617011001941_640w.jpg

Chrange

Banned
I want to choose a perennial bench warmer for a top team so I can see what it's like to ride the pine to the championship!

Instead of having to specifically run a play to manipulate a ball handler and a screener on the court to exploit the defense, players can quickly pull the left trigger to immediately call over the nearest player to the ball handler. This move will place a basketball icon over the screener's head, and provide one of three options for players. If you want the screener to immediately slip away from the screen and cut towards the basket before the screen has happened, you release the trigger early. If you want them to roll towards the basket after the screen, you fill the icon half way. If you'd rather that they pop out for a shot after the screen, you fill the icon fully. This provides a lot of flexibility on the offensive side of the ball, as you can quickly and efficiently dish the ball to players and get around defenders.

They're learning.:D

bdoughty

Banned
dralla said:
so what's the big feature EA is hyping? Have to wait for E3?

Pretty sure they are waiting until E3. I think they are holding back the big online info for NHL09 until E3 also.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i hope all the crazy online stuff makes it into fifa as well. gaf premiership can finally become a reality.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
dralla said:
so what's the big feature EA is hyping? Have to wait for E3?

10 player online is a huge mode for any sports game right now...

franchise mode is sounding tight as well...

jacket320

AstroLad said:
i hope all the crazy online stuff makes it into fifa as well. gaf premiership can finally become a reality.

I wish a lot of the stuff from Euro2008 (wicked smooth animations, overall atmosphere, improved control response) would make it over to the NHL franchise. Personally, Id be foaming at the mouth!

DMczaf

jordan0386 said:
A former 2k producer is on the team now. It should be better.

Can he get them to replicate 2k8 in one year?...we'll see.

Screw 2K8.

He's a former INSIDE DRIVE producer, first.

R.I.P. ID 2004 :(

Zep

Banned
jordan0386 said:
A former 2k producer is on the team now. It should be better.

Can he get them to replicate 2k8 in one year?...we'll see.

And Brinkman was brought into fix MLB2k...

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
My interest will stay low no matter what when it comes to live.

It always seems decent from the surface. But gameplay wise they just never get the picture.

Demo up this bitch.

bdoughty

Banned
Zep said:
And Brinkman was brought into fix MLB2k...

Inside Drive + NBA 2K success = Give the guy a shot at turning around Live. It might not be this year but he has a pretty good track record.

No three year plans with this guy. :lol

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man I have to say I'm impressed with the graphics, the FIBA teams, the fact the shorts don't look like bags anymore. But it really sucks, becuase live is fundamentally broken as a bball game.

pilonv1

Instead of having to specifically run a play to manipulate a ball handler and a screener on the court to exploit the defense, players can quickly pull the left trigger to immediately call over the nearest player to the ball handler. This move will place a basketball icon over the screener's head, and provide one of three options for players. If you want the screener to immediately slip away from the screen and cut towards the basket before the screen has happened, you release the trigger early. If you want them to roll towards the basket after the screen, you fill the icon half way. If you'd rather that they pop out for a shot after the screen, you fill the icon fully. This provides a lot of flexibility on the offensive side of the ball, as you can quickly and efficiently dish the ball to players and get around defenders.

OMG INSIDE DRIVE LIVES ON. PICK AND SLIP/FADE~!

I bet it doesn't work but that was one of my favourite features from Inside Drive.

Top Bottom