• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Cheebo

Banned
I'd rather have two rings and be considered the best shooter ever than whatever CP3 is.
In 20 years Buzzfeed will have a "10 things only a 2010 kid will remember" and Chris Paul's State Farm ads will be there.

State-Farm-commercial-Chris-Paul-Meet-The-Hoopers.png

That has to count for something.

phanphare

Banned
i mean, it's a weird argument in the first place since you're arguing someone's career vs someone's prime.

I'm arguing both of their careers up to this point in time

if they both stopped playing basketball today give me what steph has accomplished in his career over what cp3 has accomplished

Cheebo

Banned
Two rings, two MVP's, most wins ever versus...some extra all-star games?

I am not the biggest CP3 fan but that is really selling him short and disingenuous. Statistically CP3 is clearly an incredible player, Steph is better but CP3 is without question the second best point guard of the past decade next to Steph.

"But the rings ERNEH" is not a really good way to compare individual players.

Gigglepoo

It's a team sport. Mitch Richmond was a phenomenal basketball player that never played on a single quality team throughout his entire prime. And it's not as if CP3 has never come close. The two years his best teams in LA were healthy he came awfully close to the conference finals.

The Clippers had three All-NBA players. Not making even the conference finals with that kind of talent is pretty damning.

Fjordson

I am not the biggest CP3 fan but that is really selling him short and disingenuous. Statistically CP3 is clearly an incredible player, Steph is better but CP3 is without question the second best point guard of the past decade next to Steph.

"But the rings Ernie" is Shaq level analysis.
Like I already said, CP3 is an obvious hall of famer, but the accomplishments are what they are *kanyeshrug*

And it's not just rings. It's being better individually than CP3 ever has been in the process of getting said rings.

TTG

https://youtu.be/e0Z-OyXE07g

Daryl Morey and Mike D'Antoni talking about the Chris Paul trade

They're so tired XD

"You can't have too many point guards on the floor, you can't have too many smart guys, you can't have too many stars."

Ok D'Antoni, but you still have to figure out how 2 of the top 7 in time of possession players are gonna work. I was just saying that LBJ and Chris Paul wouldn't be a great fit, this is a more extreme case of that.

It's going to be fun to watch.
Unless they amplify each other's on court whining, oh my god.

Tommy DJ

The Clippers had three All-NBA players. Not making even the conference finals with that kind of talent is pretty damning.

I wonder how much the coach and management can be blamed for the Clippers failings. Shit like Blake breaking his hand punching an equipment manager is something that shouldn't happen at all yet it happened and Blake broke his hand in the process.

Boogs31

Not really. They were only healthy for the 2013-14 and the 2014-15 seasons and came 1 and 2 wins away from the conference finals those years. The Western Conference is extremely difficult. If the Clippers were in the Eastern Conference those two years they would have made the conference finals easily.

Boogs31

Longevity mattered in Shaq's case because players in his position like Kareem and Bill Russell had a long run of excellence while he was journeyman by the end of his career.

Meanwhile out of the top point guards nobody but Magic had a long run of success.

Isaiah Thomas played 13 seasons and was elite for 11, good for 1, and injury riddled in his last.

Magic played and was elite for 12 seasons and came back for an unimpressive final season in 96. Not sure how you're coming up with the fact that he's the only one with a long run of success.

Isaiah Thomas played 13 seasons and was elite for 11, good for 1, and injury riddled in his last.

Magic played and was elite for 12 seasons and came back for an unimpressive final season in 96. Not sure how you're coming up with the fact that he's the only one with a long run of success.

Magic's final season was unremarkable by his standards, but a guy at 36 who retired due to HIV coming back after 5 years away from the game and well past his prime (and with an additional 30 or so lbs) and averaging 14/7 on 50% shooting is kinds of impressive in context.

mjp2417

Banned
Someone please make the case for CP3>Steph.

To me that is a crazy opinion.

Do you value 10 years of top 10 (and frequently top 5) level play over 2 years of MVP level play, 1 year of top 5 level play, and 2 years of top 15 level play? I think they would be really close if their careers ended right now. Assuming health, I think everyone would agree that Steph will pass him in the near future if he hasn't already.

Boogs31

Someone please make the case for CP3>Steph.

To me that is a crazy opinion.

I don't think anyone would argue primeCP3> primeSteph. But if the question is would I rather have 11 seasons of A- point guard play from Chris Paul or 5 seasons of A+ point guard play from Curry, I choose CP3.

There are plenty of debates over who's better that really comes down to what you value more, longevity or prime. Barkley vs Malone / Shaq vs Duncan / Stockton vs Payton.

I don't think anyone would argue primeCP3> primeSteph. But if the question is would I rather have 11 seasons of A- point guard play from Chris Paul or 5 seasons of A+ point guard play from Curry, I choose CP3.

There are plenty of debates over who's better that really comes down to what you value more, longevity or prime. Barkley vs Malone / Shaq vs Duncan / Stockton vs Payton.
I think New Orleans and Clipper fans would trade anything for what Steph did in the past 4 years.

Boogs31

Magic's final season was unremarkable by his standards, but a guy at 36 who retired due to HIV coming back after 5 years away from the game and well past his prime (and with an additional 30 or so lbs) and averaging 14/7 on 50% shooting is kinds of impressive in context.

I agree. If he didn't have to retire he most likely would have aged well. He easily could have moved to the 4 spot when he lost a step or two and been a great passing, shooting big that could get a rebound and start the break.

But unfortunately he did retire and based on that reality he didn't have a significantly longer career than Thomas did.

Boogs31

I think New Orleans and Clipper fans would trade anything for what Steph did in the past 4 years.

Maybe they would, but I wouldn't. It's not as if Steph would have guaranteed those teams a title by swapping places with CP3. Sure, they probably would have had a better chance, but who knows. And the other 6 years that Paul made those teams relevant would be lost.

Even taking into account the better roster Stephs individual performance along with the clear MVP wins put his career already above CP3. Taking into account the 3 finals in a row just cements it. It's also not like he was a scrub prior to the last 3 years.

Hyperactivity's excitement for Paul has quelled my pessimism for now. Free Agency hasn't even begun yet so I shouldn't be so reactionary when Morey isn't done yet. Is there any idea on what a potential Super Max contract for Paul looks like?

EDIT: So I'm reading on Clutchfans Morey has an 11 million TPE now from all the deals from today still not sure how though but that's massive (In addition to already having the 8.4m MLE & 3.2m bi annual to fill out the bench)

Hyperactivity's excitement for Paul has quelled my pessimism for now. Free Agency hasn't even begun yet so I shouldn't be so reactionary when Morey isn't done yet. Is there any idea on what a potential Super Max contract for Paul looks like?

One thing im REALLY glad about is that turnovers should go down now. And Harden's defense can hopefully improve in the first season since 2012 where he isn't carrying the team on offense

I keep looking at it and it seems like, barring a now unlikely (given the Phil Jackson firing) Carmelo buy out and cheap signing of some sort, that Millsap is the best choice for a 3rd option. Idk how the sign and trade works there. Maybe Gordon + 1 million nonguaranteed contracts? Maybe Millsap suddenly makes the same move, opting in and going to the rockets? I doubt it, given that he can't be as certain as Chris Paul is when it comes to getting the max a year from now and being a major priority for the Rockets

phanphare

Banned
https://mobile.twitter.com/5kl/status/880190624498016256

Gordon Hayward hates Tom Brady. That won't help in the recruitment meeting in that case

Also, look guys, I think curry is probably better, but cp3 has defense and some damn amazing (and probably more worthy of MVP) seasons to count for. Especially his 2008 season. He's not some scrub ffs

no one's calling cp3 a scrub lol

this feels like when people take insult to the notion that lebron might "only" be a top 5 player of all time and not the goat

cp3 is a great player and has had a great career (tho lolclippers)

he's just not steph and that's not really a knock because steph is a generational talent

I'm arguing both of their careers up to this point in time

if they both stopped playing basketball today give me what steph has accomplished in his career over what cp3 has accomplished

Chris Paul has a higher PER, better ORtg and DRtg, twice as many Win Shares. Man, you kids have short memories.

Chris Paul has a higher PER, better ORtg and DRtg, twice as many Win Shares. Man, you kids have short memories.

Win Shares is sorta irrelevant given that they accumulate over length of time in the league, but otherwise, yeah, CP3 is better than most think, even if I take Curry's peak over him.

Also, the Ringer podcast brought up a funny/interesting idea. Wade and Carmelo get bought out, go to the Rockets. Come 2018 off-season, and suddenly 3/4 of the banana boat pieces, plus James Harden, are already on the team, and now they only need LeBron XD. Hopefully this would mean Melo and Wade are on vet mins or something.

Also, Sam Amick got an interview with Mike D'Antoni regarding this trade

Do the Rockets even have assets to get PG?

Probably not - they don't have much left they can trade and they don't have much to offer a third team for a potential three-team deal.

According to Zach Lowe, nobody has been interested in taking on Anderson's contract (understandably!), and their other pieces are Capela (losing him means no interior defense, but he's their best chip), Ariza (PG would replace him but he's cheap, offers good value and CP3 wants to play with him), and Gordon (their only really useful player off the bench at the moment). Their picks aren't likely to be all that interesting to other teams, either. And their roster is already really thin as it is.

On paper, teams like the Lakers and Celtics can easily blow away the Rockets' best offer....but we'll have to see.

mjp2417

Banned

A package built around Capela would trump the Lakers offer (but then you run into fit questions with Myles Turner), but I don't see any way it hangs with a potential Denver package, and the Celtics could obviously easily beat both if they so choose. I really don't see it.

Well they have 4 of these 5 non-guaranteed contracts Kelley + Long + Quarterman + Taylor and Onuaku which adds up to 11 million (that's what Clutchfans was referring to as a TPE earlier)

That's not going to net someone like PG but you can could net someone looking for a salary dump. Then knowing Morey, turn around and package that asset up.

Houston's more flexible at filling out the roster than I thought earlier today.

Well they have 4 of these 5 non-guaranteed contracts Kelley + Long + Quarterman + Taylor and Onuaku which adds up to 11 million (that's what Clutchfans was referring to as a TPE earlier)

That's not going to net someone like PG but you can could net someone looking for a salary dump. Then knowing Morey, turn around and package that asset up.

Houston's more flexible at filling out the roster than I thought earlier today.

Nobody is going to trade anything of value for a bunch of scrubs Houston just pulled from the scrap heap. Most GMs couldn't pick those guys out is a lineup.

Top Bottom