• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

I swear to God if you don't treat him right...
giphy.gif

Edit: we still haven't heard from IT but he favorited some tweets

TTG

Cavs trying to trade Kyrie to the Warriors is a big Fuk U to LeBron isn't it? If Cavs got Klay though...?!?

It would be ridiculous to see the same match up in reverse, but they would still lose. Actually, I think it would be a disadvantage to Cleveland over last year because of fit. Klay is fantastic, but remember Lebron talking about play makers? He's not that.

jdstorm

Banned

You are forgetting 1 key factor. The Nets have 0 incentive to tank. At some point during the season teams are going to drop out of playoff contention and start "resting" players or having "Injuries"

The Nets on the other hand will be trying and will beat a lot of other bad teams down the stretch.

As for Minny. They will likely go 2-12 (and thats generous) vs GSW, SAS, HOU and OKC

Then 5-7 optimistically vs POR, DEN and UTH

So thats 7-19 vs their divison opponants and top 4 teams in the West.

If Minny went say .500 in their remaining games. That puts Minny at roughly 33 wins for the 2017/18 season. Lets throw in 2 extra unexpected wins for effort. That still puts them at 35 wins and about 15 wins short of the playoffs. If that scenario were to happen they may tank and end up in the 27-29 win range.

Also Re Minny. They have no 3pt shooters. Wiggins shot 35% last year (below league average and on low volume) Jimmy Butler fluctuates between good and bad and is due for a down year. Teague is a league average 3pt shooter (on low/medium volume) and they will likely be badly found out by the better teams in the league.

In short their roster is a mess and trying to recreate an above average Chicago team in the west is likely a doomed endevor.

Detroit were the 3rd worst 3pt shooting team last season, and during the offseason they lost their 3rd best shooter. So they are now relying on Bradley and a rookie to give them spacing for Drummond. Meanwhile Brooklyn was 5th worst last season on 3pt% and dealt away a high volume low% chucker (Lopez) and added one of the best 3pt shooters in the NBA (Crabbe) and Defensively the difference between Lopez and Mosgov seems negligible. Given that its likely Brooklyn's defense remains stable while their offense is due to drastically improve thanks to Lin, Russell and Crabbe. That has them as a team trending up vs a team in Detroit with more questions then answers and not a lot of cohesion.

Pheonix is interesting and may be ready to take a big leap forward. But the West is just too stacked to imagine them making too much noise.

Cheebo

Banned
Detroit were the 3rd worst 3pt shooting team last season, and during the offseason they lost their 3rd best shooter. So they are now relying on Bradley and a rookie to give them spacing for Drummond. Meanwhile Brooklyn was 5th worst last season on 3pt% and dealt away a high volume low% chucker (Lopez) and added one of the best 3pt shooters in the NBA (Crabbe) and Defensively the difference between Lopez and Mosgov seems negligible. Given that its likely Brooklyn's defense remains stable while their offense is due to drastically improve thanks to Lin, Russell and Crabbe. That has them as a team trending up vs a team in Detroit with more questions then answers and not a lot of cohesion.

Pheonix is interesting and may be ready to take a big leap forward. But the West is just too stacked to imagine them making too much noise.

So Detroit whose starting PG was injured nearly the entire year last year (and with how reliant their system is on the pick and roll it is shocking how many games they won last year going nearly the entire year without a healthy starting PG) will somehow be WORSE with a now healthy Reggie Jackson, the upgrade of Avery Bradley from KCP, and the addition of one of the best shooters in the draft in Kennard.

There is a reason they ran from KCP the second they thought they had a chance at trading for Bradley. Bradley is the better player, period.

You are crazy....I am not even going to touch that low hanging fruit of Brooklyn being better than Minnesota.

Bread

Banned
you guys are being ridiculous, why would this trade ever happen? There's no way Rose would play for Thibs again. Include him in the trade.

jdstorm

Banned
So Detroit whose starting PG was injured nearly the entire year last year (and with how reliant their system is on the pick and roll it is shocking how many games they won last year going nearly the entire year without a healthy starting PG) will somehow be WORSE with a now healthy Reggie Jackson, the upgrade of Avery Bradley from KCP, and the addition of one of the best shooters in the draft in Kennard.

There is a reason they ran from KCP the second they thought they had a chance at trading for Bradley. Bradley is the better player, period.

You are crazy....I am not even going to touch that low hanging fruit of Brooklyn being better than Minnesota.

Essentially this Brooklyn vs Detroit comes down to wether you think Jackson + Bradley + Kenard is better then Lin, Russell, Crabbe.

Last year Brooklyn's trio made 14 3s a game at around 38% (on mobile so didnt do the specific math) Bradley and Jackson averaged around 8 3s a game at a similar %. But unless you think that Kenard will shoot 6 3s a game at 38% or better then Detroit is going to be at a 3pt shooting disadvantage.

The nets also added Demare Carroll who is a career 36% shooter and has had seasons >.400, the have Spencer Dinwiddie, Quinn D'Arcy and Joe Harris are also somewhat proven 3pt threats.

Detroit have Tolliver, Bullock and Galloway who also can shoot 3s but the only one of that trio likely to see any consistent minutes is Bullock and He's going to miss the first 5 games of the season due to suspension.

Personally I'm betting on D'angello Russell making the typical jump most players make in year 3. He was picked at no 2 for a reason and the main reason he isn't a laker is because he plays the same position as Lonzo Ball.

Brooklyn are going to have Lin, Russell, Crabbe, Carroll and Mosgov (PnR threat and solid defender) play 30+ MPG each. Thats a lot of shooting surrounding 3 proven shot creators.

In contrast Detroits best 5 is

A PG that doesnt pass, a 6'2 SG, A SF who can't shoot a C who can't make FTs and Tobias Harris who is pretty average all things considered.

I'll take my chances with Brooklyn thanks.

Edit: PS. I never said Brooklyn would be better then Minnesotta, just that they likely would have a better record due to having an easier schedule and 0 incentive to tank.

mjp2417

Banned
Essentially this Brooklyn vs Detroit comes down to wether you think Jackson + Bradley + Kenard is better then Lin, Russell, Crabbe.

Last year Brooklyn's trio made 14 3s a game at around 38% (on mobile so didnt do the specific math) Bradley and Jackson averaged around 8 3s a game at a similar %. But unless you think that Kenard will shoot 6 3s a game at 38% or better then Detroit is going to be at a 3pt shooting disadvantage.

The nets also added Demare Carroll who is a career 36% shooter and has had seasons >.400, the have Spencer Dinwiddie, Quinn D'Arcy and Joe Harris are also somewhat proven 3pt threats.

Detroit have Tolliver, Bullock and Galloway who also can shoot 3s but the only one of that trio likely to see any consistent minutes is Bullock and He's going to miss the first 5 games of the season due to suspension.

Personally I'm betting on D'angello Russell making the typical jump most players make in year 3. He was picked at no 2 for a reason and the main reason he isn't a laker is because he plays the same position as Lonzo Ball.

Brooklyn are going to have Lin, Russell, Crabbe, Carroll and Mosgov (PnR threat and solid defender) play 30+ MPG each. Thats a lot of shooting surrounding 3 proven shot creators.

In contrast Detroits best 5 is

A PG that doesnt pass, a 6'2 SG, A SF who can't shoot a C who can't make FTs and Tobias Harris who is pretty average all things considered.

I'll take my chances with Brooklyn thanks.

Edit: PS. I never said Brooklyn would be better then Minnesotta, just that they likely would have a better record due to having an easier schedule and 0 incentive to tank.

Detroit has 4 players who are better than anyone on the Nets roster. They won almost twice as many games as the Nets did last year in a season where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The Nets starting center is Timofey Mozgov. And the bolded is insane. Just stop and cut your losses man.

Top Bottom