• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA owners approve uniform advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

I mean ads every 5 mins of the game is so much better amirite

yep...in soccer, there are ads on jerseys and nobody has a problem with it - i want to buy jerseys with ads on them since they were there in rl... but if you watch NFL or NBA game, there are ads during the game all the time, it is crazy. With European soccer, we dont have ads during the game.

So it does not ruin the game for us... on the other hand, we have jerseys with sponsors, we have sponsored products with team logos, etc, etc.

kidhysr.jpg

img_productos_alimentacion_licencias.jpg

image2.jpg

Why is this a surprise when American stadiums are now mostly Generic Corporate Name Stadium? This was the next step. If it means less commercials during games all the better, but of course it won't.

Well, keep in mind the NBA did just renew their TV deal with the networks for a whopping $24 BILLION.

The Networks pay the NBA for the right to televise the games, which then includes the right to sell television advertisements (which the networks keep the revenues from).

And the revenue the networks pay the NBA goes where again?

And do you think the networks would pay as much if they couldn't show as many advertisements?

I knew this was coming, surprised it took so long. The only question for me was whether the nba or nhl would do it first. I guarantee the nhl isn't too far behind now after this.

Sponsors logos on team gear can ruin the look, some Australian football and rugby league team kits look horrid with the amount of sponsor logos on them.

Why is this a surprise when American stadiums are now mostly Generic Corporate Name Stadium? This was the next step. If it means less commercials during games all the better, but of course it won't.
Who gives a shit about the name of the stadium except for a few iconic ones (Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee, Madison Square Garden, and... shit I can't think of any others...)?

Fans go to the stadium or watch a broadcast from the stadium to watch the game. Ads on uniforms and the actual field of play distract from that. Sure, it's not cats and dogs living together, but compare the New York Yankees uni to those monstrosities from some random Euro hockey league posted earlier. I googled a bunch of words in that photo, and I still don't know who was playing. Best guess is that it was a couple of Finnish teams.

This is one thing the Olympics gets spot on. Pay attention to the fields and unis at the Summer Olympics this year. With everything else that sucks about the Olympics, the competitions themselves have a refreshingly stark focus on the athletes and the competition.

numble

Who gives a shit about the name of the stadium except for a few iconic ones (Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee, Madison Square Garden, and... shit I can't think of any others...)?

Fans go to the stadium or watch a broadcast from the stadium to watch the game. Ads on uniforms and the actual field of play distract from that. Sure, it's not cats and dogs living together, but compare the New York Yankees uni to those monstrosities from some random Euro hockey league posted earlier. I googled a bunch of words in that photo, and I still don't know who was playing. Best guess is that it was a couple of Finnish teams.

This is one thing the Olympics gets spot on. Pay attention to the fields and unis at the Summer Olympics this year. With everything else that sucks about the Olympics, the competitions themselves have a refreshingly stark focus on the athletes and the competition.
The Olympic uniforms have more ads than current NBA uniforms.

RibMan

Does this actually work?

Yes. However, since an average basketball game usually has nine thousand and sixty nine ads before the end of the first quarter, it's going to feel like overload to some people. Soccer gets away with having logos on uniforms by not stopping play (repeatedly) to broadcast ads.

With that said, soccer uniforms are mostly horrendous-looking products as the uniform maker (Nike or Adi) has to deal with creating the jerseys around the sponsor logo. If the sponsor logo is trash (e.g. Chevrolet logo on Man Utd kit) then no amount of design brilliance and know-how can make the jerseys look great.

The NBA offering non-ad/non-logo jerseys will be an interesting experiment. The jerseys will be considered less than 100% authentic because they will never look 1 to 1 with the jerseys the players are wearing. Nobody actually wants to wear products that can be perceived as knock-offs -- doubly so for the younger NBA audience. This will drive sales of logo'd jerseys up, and if the sales of non-logo'd jerseys fall below a certain point, then we'll be saying goodbye to non-logo'd NBA jerseys forever.

The Olympic uniforms have more ads than current NBA uniforms.
What are you talking about? The current NBA unis have none besides the manufacturer logo. The Olympic unis have none besides the manufacturer logo. Just because Athetico Azerbaijan has a team in Spain doesn't mean country names are advertisements.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What are you talking about? The current NBA unis have none besides the manufacturer logo. The Olympic unis have none besides the manufacturer logo. Just because Athetico Azerbaijan has a team in Spain doesn't mean country names are advertisements.

Technically the manufacturer logo is a paid sponsorship written into contracts with teams. The Nike strip is a giant Nike ad, so one way of looking at this is the easing of an existing monopoly.

Technically the manufacturer logo is a paid sponsorship written into contracts with teams. The Nike strip is a giant Nike ad, so one way of looking at this is the easing of an existing monopoly.
Yes, but both Olympic unis and current NBA unis have manufacturer logos, so I'm not seeing numble's calculation.

numble

The current NBA unis that are worn in game do not have the manufacturer logo.

yep...in soccer, there are ads on jerseys and nobody has a problem with it - i want to buy jerseys with ads on them since they were there in rl... but if you watch NFL or NBA game, there are ads during the game all the time, it is crazy. With European soccer, we dont have ads during the game.

So it does not ruin the game for us... on the other hand, we have jerseys with sponsors, we have sponsored products with team logos, etc, etc.

kidhysr.jpg

img_productos_alimentacion_licencias.jpg

image2.jpg

Oh I can't wait to cheer for the Sony soccer team.

That looks so tacky. Who cares about commercials? Those pass. Embedding those logos into the uniform sticks way longer into the consciousness. Which I guess is fine if you're Sony.

Ullus

Don't worry, you get used to it. Watch Swedish football and hockey regularly and I don't even notice/care about the ads. It's all about the sport.

Bubba T

I propose player tattoo ads too (not the permanent kind of course, or else they wouldn't able to rotate ads).

And ads around the net!

I think they should start sponsoring the shot clock and game clock. Then take it further and let sponsors buy quarters and halves.

"Curry with the ball, 10 seconds left on the Babies R Us shot clock, game on the line"

"With only 5 minutes left in the second quarter, brought to you by Bobby and Steve's Auto World, the Phoenix Suns are making a run to cut into the deficit."

Oh I can't wait to cheer for the Sony soccer team.

That looks so tacky. Who cares about commercials? Those pass. Embedding those logos into the uniform sticks way longer into the consciousness. Which I guess is fine if you're Sony.

Nah you learn to ignore the logo on the shirt. I don't ever notice it anymore. I'll take uninterrupted play any day over the bullshit ads every 5 seconds.

Uninterrupted play doesn't happen in the NBA. They literally take time outs. Time between quarters, etc. So stop comparing it to soccer. Also, I can't believe anyone actually buys soccer jerseys. Why pay money to be a walking billboard?

ads on players look fucking badass, at least in Finnish hockey. it would look so.. soulless without em, so boring.

pitsiturnaus_001.jpg

the bank ads, nuclear power ads.. you can't tell me that's not awesome.

Skux

If it's just those two spots it'll be fine.

And while we're here, football and rugby advertising is far less intrusive to the sport than the ridiculous stop-start stuttering of American sports. That's more to do with a sport's rules, but when you're taking breaks in NFL games just to peddle ads, you know you fucked up.

I'm not sure why people keep on bringing up uninterrupted play in a basketball thread. We're not talking about soccer.

Because some people commented on how Football/Soccer kits look with ads, and "why would people ever want something that looked like that?"
Other people then responded back to those statements/inquiries that the benefit to them looking that way, was the revenue from them helping to support the advertising structure that's in place in those leagues.

Here's the main start of things I believe:

Being someone used to seeing this on soccer uniforms, I have no issue with this.
Well the difference with football is it has limited opportunities to show adverts, pretty sure basketball has timeouts that are solely so they can run adverts.

What is the reason people are offended by the idea? I don't see why someone watching basketball should care that the players have logos on their jersey.
Sports in the US are already riddled with ad breaks and logos on everything else.

ElRenoRaven

Yea fuck off with that shit. So sick of shoving more ads into everything. Hockey has been doing it the last couple seasons with some shit that projects ads up on the glass behind the goals. Then let's not forget the ads on the boards around the rink. Advertising & greed really has ruined everything now days. Everywhere you look there are ads. And we're finding new ways to shove them on shit.

I really miss the days when bowl games weren't named after products and uniforms, cars, etc weren't plastered with ads everywhere.

The current NBA unis that are worn in game do not have the manufacturer logo.
TIL, thank you. My only explanation is that with the Adidas logo plastered over the replica jerseys, official warm ups, etc..., I assumed the NBA official game unis were like the other sports teams (except the Yankees, of course.)

That said, I think my original point still holds, with everything else that sucks about the Olympics, the competitions themselves have a refreshingly stark focus on the athletes and the competition, in part due to the relative lack of advertising (manufacturer logos obviously excepted.)(

entremet

So it's official.

3 Year "Trial". LOL

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nba-jerseys-sponsorship-idUSKCN0XC1YF

The National Basketball Association became the first major North American sports league to announce plans to put ads on jerseys in a move that opens up a significant new revenue stream.

A three-year trial beginning with the 2017-18 season was approved by NBA owners on Friday that allows the league's 30 teams to add a small patch on the front left of game jerseys.

"Jersey sponsorships provide deeper engagement with partners looking to build a unique association with our teams and the additional investment will help grow the game in exciting new ways,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom