• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Feep

Banned
Shit, Feep. I'm sorry. I never did hear anything from the devs on my post, it was just the Internet peanut gallery with "Then obviously they didn't win the tournament games, only the challenges" replies.
How dare you invoke my name

Now suffer an eternity of chaos

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still can't win the Shanghai tournament final game on Switch. It's impossible. The computer literally never misses a shot.

Still can't win the Shanghai tournament final game on Switch. It's impossible. The computer literally never misses a shot.
Take one strong blocker who can dunk and one fast three pointer who can steal. Always control the steal guy in defense and stay close, best time to steal is when they receive a pass. Oh and have fun in the Vegas final, lol.

bumpkin

I miss when the Internet was a place for introverts to get away from the assholes in real life. Saber posted the "Hot Update" trailer on YouTube and I posted this comment:

This all looks/sounds fantastic, I just hope it comes to Switch in a little more timely manner than the first patch.

And out of nowhere, this reply from someone:

Have fun playing Splatoon 2 nerd!!

I miss when the Internet was a place for introverts to get away from the assholes in real life. Saber posted the "Hot Update" trailer on YouTube and I posted this comment:

And out of nowhere, this reply from someone:
Are you having fun with Splatoon 2 though?

bumpkin

Are you having fun with Splatoon 2 though?
I am. It's fun as hell! :)

I'm still playing Playgrounds here and there, grinding in Exhibition to unlock more packs. I'm mostly hoarding them for when Switch gets the patch that ups the likelihood of getting new players.

bumpkin

10lydd.jpg

I just found it funny that I didn't even mention S2 in my comment on the Playgrounds video.

Oh well, at least Splatoon 2 matches are fair and there's no three point spam. lol.

Hegarol

I'm still playing Playgrounds here and there, grinding in Exhibition to unlock more packs. I'm mostly hoarding them for when Switch gets the patch that ups the likelihood of getting new players.
DON'T. The packs content is determined when you receive it. There is no gain in hoarding!

Feel like I could beat this Curry/Mutombo guy I just played twice if I had better players. Guess I gotta do more tournaments. I've been using D-Rose/Deandre Jordan.

modsbox

Shit, really? I mean I've only been sitting on 2-3 packs, but good to know there's no point in grinding to build up a stockpile.

He's right. Packs you earn before new players are added can never include the new players. I had about 10 stacked up unopened a few updates back since (at that point) I already had all the players. Sure enough once the patch came I opened them all up to reveal exactly zero new players.

Worth pointing out that, at least on PS4, the latest update finally improves chances of getting new players. Rather than just being a 1 out-of-however-many-players-there-are chance i've seen every pack lately give me at least 4 new players. This has happened to me 5 times in a row now. One time I got 5 new players. So finishing out the missing players has gotten way, way easier.

bumpkin

He's right. Packs you earn before new players are added can never include the new players. I had about 10 stacked up unopened a few updates back since (at that point) I already had all the players. Sure enough once the patch came I opened them all up to reveal exactly zero new players.

Worth pointing out that, at least on PS4, the latest update finally improves chances of getting new players. Rather than just being a 1 out-of-however-many-players-there-are chance i've seen every pack lately give me at least 4 new players. This has happened to me 5 times in a row now. One time I got 5 new players. So finishing out the missing players has gotten way, way easier.
Right on. Thanks for the heads up, guys! I'm hoping the Switch gets at least the second patch with that (better odds) sometime soon. The running joke is "next week." :)

Online is stupid in this game. Just lost a game by 2 points that I should have won easily because the guy went on an 18-0 run on 3 baskets because of some dumb power up. I beat his ass other than those 3 possessions.

Oh and he also dunked with Steve Nash in that game. lmao. I'll stick with the tournaments.

bumpkin

Online is stupid in this game. Just lost a game by 2 points that I should have won easily because the guy went on an 18-0 run on 3 baskets because of some dumb power up. I beat his ass other than those 3 possessions.

Oh and he also dunked with Steve Nash in that game. lmao. I'll stick with the tournaments.
Welcome to the lottery system!

I wish they would add a mode for playing without it. I mentioned it on FB once and the CEO said the idea was already on the table.

Wasp14

I didn’t see this mentioned here but they added a $10 “unlock all players” option in the game now (not Switch yet though). Not sure how I feel about that.

derFeef

I didn’t see this mentioned here but they added a $10 “unlock all players” option in the game now (not Switch yet though). Not sure how I feel about that.
Im fine with that personally but it's stupid for online. Does this include all future cards as well?

jmizzal

Tell me about it, I was beating a guy by 2 with 25 secs, he get his power up the lighting ball so thats an automatic make, unless I can push him, then I get my power up they give me something crappy, cost me the game.

Wasp14

So I decided to rebuy this game after the Switch update came out because I had faith the other ones would come shortly after.... It's been another 30 days and the Switch is still 3-4 updates behind. I feel like we're getting the shaft again.

bumpkin

So I decided to rebuy this game after the Switch update came out because I had faith the other ones would come shortly after.... It's been another 30 days and the Switch is still 3-4 updates behind. I feel like we're getting the shaft again.
It's some kind of bullshit for sure. I feel your pain. I want the additional playgrounds (Chicago and Madrid) and the accompanying tournaments. There's a three point contest mode too (online-only), but that's in the second (third) update we don't have. :(

Bernbaum

It's some kind of bullshit for sure. I feel your pain. I want the additional playgrounds (Chicago and Madrid) and the accompanying tournaments. There's a three point contest mode too (online-only), but that's in the second (third) update we don't have. :(
Was gonna ask if there were cities missing from the updated Switch version. I double dipped and got this on Steam and Switch because I'm an idiot. I've finished all the cities on Steam and was expecting them to appear on Switch, but no dice.

No, and probably never will be. The CEO has said that it'd cost them something ridiculous like 1 million dollars to license him.

Licensing costs are the same reason we'll never get Bryant or Barkley, either.

how were they able to afford Iverson, Magic and Bird but not Kobe and Mike?

bumpkin

how were they able to afford Iverson, Magic and Bird but not Kobe and Mike?
No idea. That's a question for the devs. I mean Magic and Bird were also in the Jam reboot. I thought I saw the CEO say something about the players they have access to being a part of some retired NBA player association, and Kobe and Jordan aren't part of it for whatever reason. I guess they know their "brand" has value and want to cash in.

jmizzal

No idea. That's a question for the devs. I mean Magic and Bird were also in the Jam reboot. I thought I saw the CEO say something about the players they have access to being a part of some retired NBA player association, and Kobe and Jordan aren't part of it for whatever reason. I guess they know their "brand" has value and want to cash in.

Yea all those players are apart of the players association so any official NBA game can have them

Players that are not, are Jordan, Kobe, Barkley and Reggie Miller, it may be some others

Yea all those players are apart of the players association so any official NBA game can have them

Players that are not, are Jordan, Kobe, Barkley and Reggie Miller, it may be some others
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen Reggie Miller in a NBA video game since he retired.

febLey

The update situation on the Switch seems really terrible.

I was interested in this game, but after reading that the Switch version is 2 patches behind and there's no clarification from the devs I'm really turned off.

bumpkin

I was interested in this game, but after reading that the Switch version is 2 patches behind and there's no clarification from the devs I'm really turned off.
I saw a bump and got excited for a moment. I thought the Switch had been patched. Hopes dashed. :(

febLey

I saw a bump and got excited for a moment. I thought the Switch had been patched. Hopes dashed. :(

Sorry for that 😅

It's really sad to see that a dev doesn't treat all customers the same.
Is the latest patch even out for Xbox One? For me it looks like its only out for PS4 and Steam, that that is already 1 month ago.

yeah it's crazy that it's been so long. i was pretty in to this game when it released (enough to finish all of the tournaments) and fully intended on going back to it after a few patches to unlock all of the cards and do the challenges, but the way the updates have been handled has turned me off of this completely

bumpkin

yeah it's crazy that it's been so long. i was pretty in to this game when it released (enough to finish all of the tournaments) and fully intended on going back to it after a few patches to unlock all of the cards and do the challenges, but the way the updates have been handled has turned me off of this completely
The CEO claimed the second patch was right in the queue after the first got approved, but here we are over a month since the first patch and nothing. Fucking crickets as far as the devs are concerned. A goddamn shame, because the game is genuinely enjoyable.

It's incredibly inane that Switch owners are getting shafted so hard on content updates. Nobody really knows who to blame either. Are Nintendo being too goddamn picky with their publishing platform? Or are Saber that clueless about publishing for the platform?

I never got to a point of asking for a refund, but the game has been collecting virtual dust.

jmizzal

The CEO claimed the second patch was right in the queue after the first got approved, but here we are over a month since the first patch and nothing. Fucking crickets as far as the devs are concerned. A goddamn shame, because the game is genuinely enjoyable.

It's incredibly inane that Switch owners are getting shafted so hard on content updates. Nobody really knows who to blame either. Are Nintendo being too goddamn picky with their publishing platform? Or are Saber that clueless about publishing for the platform?

I never got to a point of asking for a refund, but the game has been collecting virtual dust.

I dont see how you can blame Nintendo when these guys are the only ones not getting patches out, they must be doing something wrong

I dont see how you can blame Nintendo when these guys are the only ones not getting patches out, they must be doing something wrong
Yeah originally I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they said that Nintendo's patch pipeline was slow, but it's been so long and so many games have seen patches that it's clearly not true.

I wish they just launched later on the Switch instead of rushing out this port that is in desperate need of patching

febLey

Saber is to blame here, even if it's Nintendos fault, they could at least communicate whats up. Silence is the worst.

derFeef

Yeah I abandoned the game since it's not patched plus my progress is stuck and their support never answered. Fuck that nonsense.

bumpkin

Saber is to blame here, even if it's Nintendos fault, they could at least communicate whats up. Silence is the worst.
Fair enough. I also own Snake Pass, another UE4 game, and their developers have delivered multiple timely patches. I feel like there's much more to the story than they're telling.

My only experience with indie software deployment is my membership as an iOS Developer, and Apple's team does everything they can to help devs get over technical hurdles to get their Apps into the store. It's in their best interest for their members to succeed, they get a cut of the sales. It's the same with Nintendo (the cut) I'm sure. I really wish we knew where the disconnect is. I enjoy Playgrounds and just want the content everyone else has. :(

I'm finding this game kind of difficult, especially on defense, I can seem to get a rebound to save my life. Also sucks are the courts have to be unlocked

But glad I waited, already $10 on PSN this week

bumpkin

I’m finding this game kind of difficult, especially on defense, I can seem to get a rebound to save my life. Also sucks are the courts have to be unlocked

But glad I waited, already $10 on PSN this week
I feel like if I assume the ball is going to rebound upwards towards the far side of the court and jump that way, I'll come up with rebounds fairly often.

I thought the "Hot Update" that came out a few weeks ago implemented a simplified rebounding experience with a big glowing circle on the court. Has the PS4 not gotten that yet?

I thought the "Hot Update" that came out a few weeks ago implemented a simplified rebounding experience with a big glowing circle on the court. Has the PS4 not gotten that yet?

Maybe I never noticed it, playing on the PS4. What’s the big glowing circle? To press rebound when it glows?

bumpkin

Maybe I never noticed it, playing on the PS4. What’s the big glowing circle? To press rebound when it glows?
In the video, they showed it as a glowing area on the court itself. It's in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNp7e_fqs4#t=0m19s

On a side note, did anyone else get a survey from Nintendo about the game on Switch? It had a bunch of general satisfaction related questions, asking what you like or find interesting about it, what you don't like about it, etc. I made sure to lay into them in the comments about why I'm unsatisfied, commented about the patches and all of that bullshit.

Top Bottom