• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC extends TV contract with English Premier League for 6 more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

nbc_epl.png

NBC Sports extended its deal to carry England’s Premier League for six years on Monday in the United States, helping to keep a property that has helped define its NBCSN cable network and brought an average of nearly 500,000 soccer fans to each game last season.

The deal will go into effect next year. NBC is in the final season of a three-year, $250-million deal. The new deal is expected to come with a significant increase in the rights fee paid to the Premier League.

As per the agreement, NBC Sports Group will continue to make all 380 Premier League matches available through NBC, NBCSN, USA Network, Telemundo and NBC Universo linear channels, plus the Premier League Extra Time TV package and via live stream on NBC Sports Live Extra, or other platforms. The rights go across all forms of media.

NBC Sports Group said last Thursday that it will carry 40 weekend games on the USA Network, adding to the matches that will continue on NBC and NBCSN.

Mark Lazarus, chairman of the NBC Sports Group, described its exclusive rights to the Premier League as a “pillar” of NBCSN, that helps the network reach young, affluent viewers.

“We’ve always believed this sport, this league, the finest league, had a growth trajectory,” said Lazarus, recalling the initial decision to bid on the Premier League rights three years ago. He added, “We believe there is plenty of headroom for this property to grow on television and digital.”

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League’s executive chairman, said that NBC’s coverage has transformed the league’s television profile in the United States.

“The incredible thing in the last two years with what NBC had managed to do in terms of marketing, promotion and bringing all the games to the television audience is that we’ve just seen it take off,” he said before the West Bromwich Albion-Manchester City game on NBCSN. “Now, instead of being a minority conversation, if you like, it really is mainstream and a lot of people are talking about it.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/s...-to-premier-league-in-six-year-deal.html?_r=0

During a conference call with a handful of writers on Monday afternoon, Lazarus admitted he was nervous prior to learning over the weekend that his network would retain the rights. NBC made its bid last Thursday and did not hear back from Premier League officials for a couple of days. Fox Sports and beIn Sport also bid for the rights, according to Sports Business Daily writer John Ourand while New York Times reporter Richard Sandomir said ESPN did not bid given its college football commitment. There were no combined network bids. “We took nothing for granted, but I spent a very anxious Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday until the dialogue became clear that we were going to have the ability to negotiate until conclusion,” Lazarus said.

Both the Premier League and NBC declined to cite the dollars it paid for the rights outside of the network saying it paid more than the $250 million for three years it paid in 2013. Ourand estimated the six-year bid was likely north of $800 million and possibly closer to $1 billion. Every bidder submitted both a bid for a three-year term and a six-year term and Lazarus said he thought that NBC emphasizing all 20 teams in the league throughout its coverage was a selling point for the Premier League, along with the creativity of NBC’s marketing the sport in the U.S. (The Premier League told networks that it would not hold a second round of bids if the top bid was at least 15% higher than the next one.)
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/08/10/nbc-sports-epl-broadcast-rights-sec-food

NBC and NBCSN’s success with its Premier League telecasts has driven up their future value. Last season, the combined viewership on the networks was up 9 percent to 479,000 — close to the average 491,000 for regular-season broadcasts of the N.H.L. last season on NBC and NBCSN. The league has a 10-year contract worth nearly $2 billion with NBC.

The big leap in Premier League viewership came during the 2013-14 season, NBC and NBCSN’s first with the league. The networks’ combined average audience of 438,000 viewers was up 118 percent from the 2012-13 season when the games were shown by ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox Soccer.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/07/s...mier-league-games-to-usa-networks-lineup.html

The 2015-16 Premier League season kicked off yesterday with an exciting day of matches that resulted in the best-ever overnight ratings in the U.S. for the league’s opening Saturday.

With four matches on the networks of NBCUniversal — two on NBCSN, one on NBC, and one on USA Network in its newly-added Premier League telecast window – the combined Saturday overnight rating of 2.02 is the best-ever for a Premier League opening Saturday in the U.S. The combined 2.02 overnight is up 43% from the prior record set last August (1.41 for three matches across NBCSN and NBC).

In addition:

The 12:30 p.m. ET match on NBC – a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge between champions Chelsea and Swansea City – averaged a .93 overnight to rank as the best Saturday opener ever and topped last season’s NBC opener (Arsenal/Crystal Palace) by 27%.

The 7:45 a.m. ET match on NBCSN – Manchester United’s 1-0 victory over Tottenham in the Premier League’s opening match of the season – posted NBCSN’s best-ever overnight rating in the early Saturday window (.49).
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/epl-season-off-to-a-record-start-for-nbc.html

In December the Times reported that EPL games on NBCSN were attracting more viewers than NHL on the same network.

The next big soccer right bid on the horizon will be the UEFA Champions League when that comes up. In light of this development it’s hard to see Fox losing out on retaining it.
http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/10/nbc-keeping-epl-television-rights-six-more-years/

Nydius

I'm pretty happy with this, really. NBC has done a good job with EPL on NBCSN and the other NBC/Universal stations.

Plus it's 6 more years of Rebecca Lowe.

tim.mbp

Glad it's still on NBC. Fox would've been okay, but seems like there would have been conflicts with football and the Bundesliga.

bigkrev

That seems like... a lot of money, considering the relatively low viewership numbers, and the limited amount of commercial time you can sell. Guess it's a prestiege thing for NBC at this point?

tim.mbp

Good this way Fox can concentrate on covering the leagues that aren't utter crap, like Bundesliga and MLS.

Heard a lot of Bundesliga coverage is relegated to Fox Sports 2 or Fox Soccer Go subscription. I don't think there's an ability to watch every game like NBC does with the EPL.

xbhaskarx

So glad its staying with NBC. ESPN would have been awful.

I don't know why people are bashing ESPN's soccer coverage. Granted NBC has done a great job with the Premier League over the last few seasons, but ESPN did a fantastic job with the 2010 and 2014 World Cups...

SPDIF

Good this way Fox can concentrate on covering the leagues that aren't utter crap, like Bundesliga and MLS.

It might not be the best league in the world like it's often said to be, but to call it "utter crap" is just ridiculous. It's an incredibly entertaining league.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Excellent, their EPL coverage is top notch. I wish someone would take their example and do the same with La Liga. Instead it's stuck on Bein, that shitty Qatar channel no one has.

Kill3r7

I don't know why people are bashing ESPN's soccer coverage. Granted NBC has done a great job with the Premier League over the last few seasons, but ESPN did a fantastic job with the 2010 and 2014 World Cups...

BPL is directly at odds with college football and basketball. Thus making it very difficult to provide adequate coverage for all the games.

Both PS4 and X1 would benefit greatly from an NBCSPORTS app.

I continue to be surprised every time I read stuff like this. We went from MLS having to buy World Cup rights and giving them to ESPN in 2002 to a bidding war of hundreds of millions of dollars for World Cup rights between Disney and Fox for 2018 and 2022.

NBC fighting for EPL rights while declaring those soccer games have higher ratings than the NHL is nuts.

You heard it here first: soccer is going to be more popular than hockey and basketball while giving baseball a run for its money, in 20 years. Give USA the 2026 World Cup and we'll seal this deal even earlier.

RBH

Two years of success broadcasting England’s Premier League proved a basic truth to NBC Sports: It would have to pay a lot more to keep carrying the league’s games.

Now it will. Under a six-year agreement announced Monday that starts next season and is worth about $1 billion, NBC retained the rights to the Premier League through the 2021-22 season.

NBC will pay steeply more for the package starting next season — the new rights fee basically doubles the annual cost of NBC’s current, three-year $250 million contract — but its willingness to do so was an acknowledgment of how the globally popular league has come to redefine NBC’s sports cable network, NBCSN, and also of the value NBC sees in Americans’ growing appetite for top-shelf European soccer.

“You do the math,” Mark Lazarus, chairman of the NBC Sports Group, said Monday. “That’s 2,280 matches over the next six years, plus hours of other related content — shoulder programming, original content, library programming — which we have used extensively and will continue to use.”

In the United States, networks pay far more for the rights to major sports. ESPN’s rights fee to the N.F.L. alone is $1.9 billion a year. But American media companies are far more likely to pay high prices for overseas events like the World Cup and the Olympics than for rights to a league based in a foreign country.

NBC’s winning bid suggests that it believes it has tapped into a growing, youthful, family-heavy fan base — but also that expected offers from rivals pushed it to the $1 billion threshold.

“We have always believed in this sport, this particular league, the finest in the world, had a growth trajectory,” Lazarus said during a conference call with reporters. He added, “We think that there’s still plenty of headroom for this property to grow from an audience point of view, both on television and digital.”

In 2013-14, NBC and NBCSN’s initial season of Premier League games, the networks averaged 438,000 viewers a game, up 118 percent from the audience on Fox Soccer, ESPN and ESPN2 the season before.

Last season, the combined viewership on NBC and NBCSN climbed another 9 percent, to 479,000.

Richard Scudamore, executive chairman of the Premier League, said by telephone that NBC had given the games a focus that went beyond his early expectations.

“They’ve thrown their creativity, their people and their whole essence into it,” Scudamore said after attending Monday’s game between West Bromwich Albion and Manchester City.

The Premier League opened its bidding on Thursday with only NBC, Fox and beIN Sports known to have made submissions. No one was allowed to bid with a partner but, Scudamore said, networks were allowed to designate partners to whom they would subsequently sell games under a sublicense.

ESPN did not bid because of scheduling conflicts. Premier League games are generally played on Saturdays, when ESPN’s channels are flush with college football, and Sunday mornings, which would bring them into conflict with ESPN’s Sunday morning N.F.L. programming for a large part of the soccer season. ESPN held some talks about sublicensing games from Fox, which has scheduling complications of its own — like its new contract to carry Bundesliga games about the same times Premier League matches are being played.

With only about 18 million subscribers, beIN would have had to meet the Premier League’s strict requirements to expand its distribution through sublicensing partnerships with a broadcaster and cable network. But NBC had no such concerns, having decided to fully devote itself to the Premier League on multiple networks three years ago, when it won the bidding for its current deal.

Lazarus said that after submitting NBC’s bids for three- and six-year contracts, he did not hear back for a couple of days.

“But we worked through the weekend” to finalize the deal, he said.

For NBC, the Premier League has become almost an essential property, especially on NBCSN, where 150 matches will be shown this season, mainly during weekend mornings and afternoons. The rest are shown through a streaming service or, for some of the season’s biggest matches, on NBC.

“I think when you look at the quality of live events, the live hours and the fact that it is largely weekend mornings, it has set you as a weekend destination,” Lazarus said during the conference call. Later, in an interview, he added, “It’s created a new sports day part.”

The Premier League has quickly become one of the pillars of NBCSN, along with the National Hockey League and auto racing from Nascar, Formula One and IndyCar.

For the first time since its Premier League contract began, NBC will put games on USA, the widely-distributed entertainment network that is part of NBC Universal, this season. By showing 40 games on USA, NBC hopes to expand the league’s reach. In the past, some Premier League games have aired on CNBC. Telemundo and NBC Universo also carry games; the new contract includes the Spanish language rights.

Lazarus conceded that the Premier League had not earned a profit through advertising during its current deal and would not in the next, more expensive one.

But he said: “We look at it for what it does for our portfolio from all our revenue streams: advertising, affiliate deals, digital monetization. It’s hard to break out what comes from E.P.L. or hockey or Nascar. It’s in the total offering. This isn’t a deal that’s profitable, but we believe it adds to the profitability of our business.” And he added, “Our sports business is profitable.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/s...-to-premier-league-in-six-year-deal.html?_r=0

flyover

They've done a great job with their coverage, so this is good news to me -- unless it means six more years of seeing the same two Neil Patrick Harris Heineken ads three times every freaking commercial break.

rrs

I wonder how the sunday morning OTA airing helps viewing, there's not much else to rival it then

Excellent, their EPL coverage is top notch. I wish someone would take their example and do the same with La Liga. Instead it's stuck on Bein, that shitty Qatar channel no one has.

Yeah but then we wouldn't get that hilarious commentator who screams SIMPLY MAGESTERIAL every time Messi gets the ball.

The very fact that you think Bundesliga is a good and entertaining league indicates you don't know what you're talking about.

xbhaskarx

It might not be the best league in the world like it's often said to be, but to call it "utter crap" is just ridiculous. It's an incredibly entertaining league.

okay

The very fact that you think Bundesliga is a good and entertaining league indicates you don't know what you're talking about.

Goals are entertaining, if they weren't we'd all be watching Serie A. Also the Bundesliga has the only non-Spanish team that could actually win Champions League. And they have a bunch of 2014 World Cup winners whereas the Premier League has a broken Schweinsteiger and a bunch of chumps who lost to two teams that both lost to Costa Rica.

I need a team to support. Someone sell me on a team.

Fulham are by far the best Premier League team so I would suggest supporting them.

Nodnol

Wolves. Best name of any club in England.

But they're Championship, not Prem, all the divisions in the football league need love too!

If we're trying to sell a team to our friends across the Atlantic, then surely it's the 'Eagles'?

I've always thought Crystal Palace was a name suited for a U.S. audience, and I think we were the fifth most watched team in the U.S.? Something like that.

Plus we have an actual Bald Eagle flying around before kick-off, AND cheerleaders.

Lego Boss

If we're trying to sell a team to our friends across the Atlantic, then surely it's the 'Eagles'?

I've always thought Crystal Palace was a name suited for a U.S. audience, and I think we were the fifth most watched team in the U.S.? Something like that.

Plus we have an actual Bald Eagle flying around before kick-off, AND cheerleaders.

Yes, of course. And now Palace have Sako there is even more of a link between our clubs (not forgetting Emblen, Freedman, Smith et al).

But our mascot eats the three little piggies, so surely he gets some credit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQokPUt8J8g

Nodnol

Yes, of course. And now Palace have Sako there is even more of a link between our clubs (not forgetting Emblen, Freedman, Smith et al).

But our mascot eats the three little piggies, so surely he gets some credit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQokPUt8J8g

I'll give you that. Don't mind Wolves at all, one of the few Midlands team that don't annoy me. I live in Leicester and all of a sudden there's far more 'fans' of Leicester. Personal grudge with that lot.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the total for the new deal is, and what that works out for each club. Just the domestic deal for each club is an outrageous amount (£100 million ish for finishing BOTTOM).

Think what you want of Scudamore et al, but they sure know how to build a product.

RBH

Thank goodness. Just keep it away from FOX. FOX has absolutely terrible HD feeds.
Yeah, even to the untrained eye (aka me), I can tell that NBC's HD feed is vastly superior to FOX's HD feed.

And on top of that, NBC's coverage has been stellar over the past two years.

HarryKS

okay

Goals are entertaining, if they weren't we'd all be watching Serie A. Also the Bundesliga has the only non-Spanish team that could actually win Champions League. And they have a bunch of 2014 World Cup winners whereas the Premier League has a broken Schweinsteiger and a bunch of chumps who lost to two teams that both lost to Costa Rica.

Fulham are by far the best Premier League team so I would suggest supporting them.

They were relegated 2 years ago...

I'm pretty happy about this, their coverage has become a part of my weekend morning ritual over the past year or so and MiB is one of the privileged few shows to occupy space on my DVR.

Also Rebecca Lowe.

Yeah, even to the untrained eye (aka me), I can tell that NBC's HD feed is vastly superior to FOX's HD feed.

And on top of that, NBC's coverage has been stellar over the past two years.
That's mainly because FOX went HD early and their bitrate still sucks.
NBC HD is so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom