• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC sat on Trump tape for fear of lawsuits until it was leaked to WaPo

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I agree the legal angle doesn't make sense.

They were trying to find a way to air it without sacrificing Billy Bush. They couldn't do it.

Pretty much. And guess who is on the Today Show that airs on NBC? Billy Bush.

Slayven

Like it was said eailer in the thread, they probably was trying to figure out how to save Billy.

I bet money he gets the axe come monday

Mahonay

Banned
Hope they learned from it. But the fact they let Trump host SNL after they supposedly cancelled his Apprentice gig due to his deplorable character shows they are soft on Trump.
I stopped watching SNL for a good while when they did that.

120v

honestly, if i were sitting on that tape i would've assumed releasing it wouldn't have done anything. if nobody cared about his shit the last six months why would they now

i'd be wrong obviously but it's not a stretch

Prompto

Banned
That's kinda funny that they wanted the tape to be shown first on Access Hollywood. I mean I know the tape originated from there but you'd think they would reveal it on the Nightly News or MSNBC.

Joni

The legal side is a weak excuse considering their other actions. They are simply protecting him.

Joe

b7qFAzY.jpg

PVNnubo.jpg

fqGKPUd.jpg

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
only the braves

Any reason they had probably seems like a better reason when you consider that releasing it is just another drop in a bucket that's not only already full, but overflowing.

This guy hasn't gone a week without saying something horrific since he started his campaign, and old stuff has continued to surface/resurface alongside all of that.

So whatever their reason for sitting on it, it's probably a matter of weighing that against how much it matters that people find out he said 224 terrible things instead of just 223.

Joni

Any reason they had probably seems like a better reason when you consider that releasing it is just another drop in a bucket that's not only already full, but overflowing.

This guy hasn't gone a week without saying something horrific since he started his campaign, and old stuff has continued to surface/resurface alongside all of that.

So whatever their reason for sitting on it, it's probably a matter of weighing that against how much it matters that people find out he said 224 terrible things instead of just 223.

Please note that this basically featured him admitting to sexual assault.

Elandyll

Banned
Trump knew they were doing sound tests, as per Access Hollywood. There should be no fear of legal issues here.

No Balls Company indeed (or worse, sitting on it to help the candidate).

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Feel sorry for the people doing good work on MSNBC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In a hilarious bit of historical symmetry, one of the first big instances of new media scooping old media on a major story was the Lewinsky scandal. Newsweek, Time, and the NYP were all vetting the story and trying to corroborate and then-unknown Matt Drudge of Drudgereport.com ran it, claiming the media was refusing to. And the rest of the history.

jstripes

Banned
In a hilarious bit of historical symmetry, one of the first big instances of new media scooping old media on a major story was the Lewinsky scandal. Newsweek, Time, and the NYP were all vetting the story and trying to corroborate and then-unknown Matt Drudge of Drudgereport.com ran it, claiming the media was refusing to. And the rest of the history.

The Toronto Star was slowly and carefully putting together a story on the Rob Ford crack scandal when Gawker suddenly burst out with the news. Everyone in the newsroom was like "Fuck."

Slayven

So Washingpost is not going to update their format in 30 years?

The Llama

Just speaking as an attorney, it really wouldn't surprise me if NBC's lawyers told them to sit on the tape for a few days to go over their legal options/risks. It's what us lawyers do. I doubt there was any malice involved either way.

I have never wanted to have 5 million dollars as much as i have now

The idea of a "leak fee".... I wonder if that means you can lay Burnett to get access to footage to "leak", or if it's in a contract that if it is found out you leaked it, you pay that as like civil damages.

Just speaking as an attorney, it really wouldn't surprise me if NBC's lawyers told them to sit on the tape for a few days to go over their legal options/risks. It's what us lawyers do. I doubt there was any malice involved either way.

Stop bringing logic into this. It's obvious that the only reason anyone would ever wait to air something is because they never planned to air it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom