• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

Finally got UC3. So excited. Got through some amazing first few chapters without any shooting and then I get to the shooting and it all falls apart.

Is this real life?

How on Earth did this aiming get into the game. You literally can't move the cursor diagonally? You might as well have put aiming on the d-pad Naughty Dog. There is clearly some talent at Naughty Dog, but I get the feeling the talent resides in the graphics, presentation and story and the brains going into the gameplay is just not up there

Also, whoever designed the UI and title screen needs to find a new job, it's insultingly bad compared to the rest of the product

They apparently didn't know they had changed anything.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Did somebody at ND want to get fired so he stuffed up the aiming before shipping?

Do Naughty Dog not have a standard system of aiming that they adhere to. It seems like they are reinventing it every game because it feels different each time, even across different modes

Finally got UC3. So excited. Got through some amazing first few chapters without any shooting and then I get to the shooting and it all falls apart.

Is this real life?

How on Earth did this aiming get into the game. You literally can't move the cursor diagonally? You might as well have put aiming on the d-pad Naughty Dog. There is clearly some talent at Naughty Dog, but I get the feeling the talent resides in the graphics, presentation and story and the brains going into the gameplay is just not up there

Also, whoever designed the UI and title screen needs to find a new job, it's insultingly bad compared to the rest of the product

Wrong. They got the shooting right in U2, shooting and traversal was like butter in MP, so they knew how to get gameplay right, for some reason a significant chunk was changed, that I don't understand. The lesson to other developers should be that if it works well, don't fuck around with it, it didn't work out at all for Insomniac and it's certainly not working well here. ND needs to patch this shit up.

Wrong. They got the shooting right in U2, shooting and traversal was like butter in MP, so they knew how to get gameplay right, for some reason a significant chunk was changed, that I don't understand. The lesson to other developers should be that if it works well, don't fuck around with it, it didn't work out at all for Insomniac and it's certainly not working well here. ND needs to patch this shit up.

How did what you said prove me wrong? It just goes to show that they really lack a fundamental understanding of what was right about their gameplay and how to improve it. Rather than it feeling like UC2, it feels like something totally different (at least when shooting)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
it feels like I'm waiting for a second release date on the game at this point, despite it sitting waiting on my entertainment unit. Hopefully Sony speed this patch through.

Whatever happened to Naughty Dog post-Uncharted 2 wrap up hasn't been for the best, whether they've become a little arrogant or worse; sloppy. They progressively made Uncharted 2's MP worse with each patch to produce something in 3 I have absolutely no interest in, and whoever was in charge of 3's single player critical gameplay elements really fucked up now as well.

Maybe theres some internal Sony guy thats actually some kind of supervillain/mole that see's to it that Guerilla fuck up everything that made Killzone 2 multiplayer great for 3, and now somehow managed to mind-fuck ND into dog-turding up their aiming systems for their sequel. Perhaps he also keeps deleting The Last Guardian's source code. Yes. Who is this man? We must find and kill him.

thuway

People need to stop, patches go through EXTENSIVE testing. I can say this from experience. Not too long now - It'll be here any day now :).

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Glad everthing is coming along nicely, I wish I could contribute more to the thread but I've just moved and have no internet atm, I'm in hell right now :-(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
it feels like I'm waiting for a second release date on the game at this point, despite it sitting waiting on my entertainment unit. Hopefully Sony speed this patch through.
I know, right? I haven't finished the game yet as a result of this and I keep hoping for a new patch. Once it hits I plan to start over and enjoy the entire thing at once.

I have been playing multiplayer and, say what you want, but I'm loving it just as much as I did Uncharted 2 originally. It plays very well in multiplayer and is a hell of a lot more fun for me than most other shooters available this season.

Loudninja

I know, right? I haven't finished the game yet as a result of this and I keep hoping for a new patch. Once it hits I plan to start over and enjoy the entire thing at once.

I have been playing multiplayer and, say what you want, but I'm loving it just as much as I did Uncharted 2 originally. It plays very well in multiplayer and is a hell of a lot more fun for me than most other shooters available this season.
The patch is at Sony Q&A so its only a matter of time now.

pje122

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Did somebody at ND want to get fired so he stuffed up the aiming before shipping?

Do Naughty Dog not have a standard system of aiming that they adhere to. It seems like they are reinventing it every game because it feels different each time, even across different modes
Where are the gaming journalists to answer these questions for us...? Just what exactly happened at Naughty Dog?

I really don't get all the dramatics. Yeah, the aiming might not be tight as it should be, but unplayable? That's a stretch. I'm having a better time going through on Crushing than my first playthrough on Hard. Is it that hard to adjust to these controls for some people? I hate to sound harsh but some of these comments are just so far away from my experience, it's almost like I played a different game.

Holy shit I had no idea people could be this impatient.
Admittedly, yeah, I'm pretty impatient over this, but considering...

1. I bought this game day 1, full price, and it feels like I've been beta testing for the last 3 weeks. It's getting harder to rationalize these days why I shouldn't just buy a game used or wait for a sale.

2. Constantly hearing that the patch is coming "soon" (over a week ago) and that we were supposed to get patch details over the weekend, which unless I missed something, turned out to be false.

epmode

The one thing this thread has taught me is to be very thankful for PC games because fuck certification. Waiting three weeks for an aiming tweak is excruciating.
1. I bought this game day 1, full price, and it feels like I've been beta testing for the last 3 weeks. It's getting harder to rationalize these days why I shouldn't just buy a game used or wait for a sale.
The best part is how it's going to be half price on Black Friday. I should have waited.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Where are the gaming journalists to answer these questions for us...? Just what exactly happened at Naughty Dog?
Come on, let's be honest here, the aiming wasn't truly broken. I could easily see how someone could play through the game without ever feeling that it was an issue so I'm not surprised the journalists didn't call them out on it.

I think the motion blur thing is a lot stranger and makes me wonder if something happened with the code base at the last minute that resulted in some of these issues.

I really don't get all the dramatics. Yeah, the aiming might not be tight as it should be, but unplayable? That's a stretch.
Agreed. It's completely playable and still better than plenty of other games. We simply know that it isn't as tight as it was in Uncharted 2.

The best part is how it's going to be half price on Black Friday. I should have waited.
Actually, I think it's already been on sale even before Black Friday. :\

Come on, let's be honest here, the aiming wasn't truly broken. I could easily see how someone could play through the game without ever feeling that it was an issue so I'm not surprised the journalists didn't call them out on it.

Agreed. It's completely playable and still better than plenty of other games. We simply know that it isn't as tight as it was in Uncharted 2.
Yeah, I agree it's entirely possible to play with the aiming issue, but it does ruin the experience for me knowing what it could've been (or rather has been with UC2).

And I also feel it's an incredibly blatant issue, one which I noticed immediately the first time I had to look down the sights (to shoot the lock). I actually came to GAF fully expecting it to be mentioned in the UC3 thread and lo and behold it got its very own thread on it, which suggests that not only a lot of others felt the same way, but that it was notable enough to warrant its own discussion. In that sense, it's clearly an aspect that should've at least gotten a mention in reviews...even an "oh hey, the controls aren't as tight as before, so look out for that". The fact that it was completely neglected altogether makes me take the gaming press even less seriously now.

Shai-Tan

Banned
lesson: don't use a completely different aiming model for single player. developers who are making the more popular multiplayer games do extensive testing and betas. the qa failed and the separate model here made them miss something significant. external feedback was necessary in this case but it didn't have to come to that if there was someone looking and looking again at some of the basic things in the combat. it would probably make the game better if they iterated on it more when designing the enemies

lesson: don't use a completely different aiming model for single player. developers who are making the more popular multiplayer games do extensive testing and betas. the qa failed and the separate model here made them miss something significant. external feedback was necessary in this case but it didn't have to come to that if there was someone looking and looking again at some of the basic things in the combat. it would probably make the game better if they iterated on it more when designing the enemies

When the shooting works as well as it did in U2, you don't mess with it, fuck those who thought health was too low after the patch beause they couldn't run and gun anymore, because all we have now is a fucking run and gun fest, guns aren't accurate enough, even when someone is coming right at you, there's not enough stopping power to take him out, if he gets to about 3 feet away you're dead, not all feedback is good feedback and it's more of a case of a developer listening to the wrong segment of fans, should have just stuck with U2 post 1.5 and just told everybody to fuck off.

I can't really fathom how they fucked up the controls so badly.

I know, even after being told about it they said they couldn't replicate the fault or something...the mind boggles. Just go out and buy a copy of the game and see for yourselves, you fucking n00bs.

jackdoe

I started UC3 but quickly put an end to it because of the funky controls (got the trophy for five headshots in a row though, haha). Luckily, I have so many games to play but I'd really like the patch to get released before Thanksgiving, as unlikely as it may seem.

The patch notes. Where the fuck are they? :|

I haven't seen many UI complaints about this game, but I must say, it really caught my eye how sloppy the level selection screen was. They didn't allow for enough text, so the title of each chapter scrolls. It just looks silly and unprofessional.

Admittedly, yeah, I'm pretty impatient over this, but considering...

2. Constantly hearing that the patch is coming "soon" (over a week ago) and that we were supposed to get patch details over the weekend, which unless I missed something, turned out to be false.
Point 1 alone is enough. You paid for a product, it wasn't up to an acceptable standard. Anger and impatience is always justified then.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's going to be an optional toggle in the menus; you may keep your inferior aiming style intact.
Is that confirmed? It'll be nice for the people who say it's fine the way it is now to be able to see the improvements and then be able to switch back to see how wrong they really were.

jackdoe

Point 1 alone is enough. You paid for a product, it wasn't up to an acceptable standard. Anger and impatience is always justified then.
Luckily, there is still a one month return period for those people who paid full price. Buy it for $30 at Best Buy on Black Friday, return it to the original store where you paid full price. After all, if the patch doesn't come out before Black Friday, then there really wasn't a point to paying full price for it if you end up playing the game after it goes on sale for $30.

Top Bottom