• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed |OT| Contains Spoilers

Is there a story mode? Will this scratch my Driver 1-2 itch?

Yes, there is.

The story is told through FMVs featuring real life actors, with your computer-generated car in the background of some shots.

Need for Speed has five playstyles - builder, speed, outlaw (bug the cops), drift, etc. - and the campaign makes you complete events in each category.

You're trying to impress the big shots and get your crew noticed, as a faceless newbie.

I think by foundation, he she means the "soul" of the game (customization, night life, cheesy FMV, no cinematic racing crap). Or at least that's how I define foundation.

There are more flaws than there are positives, but I'm still enjoying it.

I understand but none of those are things that define a NFS game.

Wasn't even thinking about picking this up until I watched a stream and saw that the available cars featured a few of my favorites that are largely ignored by more recent racing games (the older Skylines and Sprinter in particular). Went from 0-picking this up today in an instant. Hope my impulse buy will be rewarded!

And bravo on that OT title.

Edit: Wait wait wait...excitement tempered by that review thread I stumbled into. Well that's a shame.

Lnkn52

Wasn't even thinking about picking this up until I watched a stream and saw that the available cars featured a few of my favorites that are largely ignored by more recent racing games (the older Skylines and Sprinter in particular). Went from 0-picking this up today in an instant. Hope my impulse buy will be rewarded!

And bravo on that OT title.

Edit: Wait wait wait...excitement tempered by that review thread I stumbled into. Well that's a shame.

Too Soon

Lunar FC

I saw when somebody suggested the OT title in the review thread a few days ago and just finally got it now. >.<

Think i'm still going to pick this up on targets 3 for 2 deal.

Thankfully I was procrastinating on doing some other work by reading the thread before running some errands, which would have ended with a trip to pick this up.

So no purchase has, or will be made. Oh well, here's to hoping Gran Turismo Sport doesn't suck, and includes some of the older cars I enjoy.

Got a Fujiwara tofu shop car, got the Devil Z, working on the blackbird and later the rx - 7 as well I guess, so I have 2 for 2 initial D and wangan midnight. Loving this game just for that fact.

Damn, I want this game now. But I'll wait on a sale down the road

CoryCubed

I'm actually having more fun the mobile game. Need for Speed Full of Limits...err No Limits if you are fabulously wealthy.

i can echo all the complaints mentioned by others - crappy controls, xbox one graphics stutter, etc.

One thing that's wrong is people saying you can't skip cutscenes - you can, it's just not all since they are hiding loading screens. But I for sure was able to skip some.

I also don't get people complaining about lack of manual transmission. It's need for speed... an arcade focused franchise. I don't think it's a big negative.

Lima

The game had already won my heart by allowing me to take the Subaru BRZ as a starting car. It's the car I drive in real life (well the Toyota GT86 which is also in the game and basically the same car).

Even with all its faults it is a damn fine game. This game looks crazy good on Xbox One already with the 900p. This must look insane at native 1080p on PS4.

Turn off all HUD. You don't need the mini map or the speedometer since there is no manual and you never need to know how fast you go cause braking means losing.

Handling wise tune your car more towards drift. 1/4 or half way to drift is the sweet spot for me. Try it a bit to find out what suits you. Drifting is the fastest way to get through corners in this game. Basically approach the corner and either tap the brake while keeping your foot down or pull the handbrake and drift. Playing this like a regular racing game with the grip setup means you will lose more often than win races.

i can echo all the complaints mentioned by others - crappy controls, xbox one graphics stutter, etc.

One thing that's wrong is people saying you can't skip cutscenes - you can, it's just not all since they are hiding loading screens. But I for sure was able to skip some.

I also don't get people complaining about lack of manual transmission. It's need for speed... an arcade focused franchise. I don't think it's a big negative.

So what if it's a arcade racing game? Every other NFS games (ex. U2, MW, Carbon) have had the option for manual or automatic. So why isn't an option in this title? Some of us just feel better driving the cars with manual because we have more control over it.

Lima

So what if it's a arcade racing game? Every other NFS games (ex. U2, MW, Carbon) have had the option for manual or automatic. So why isn't an option in this title? Some of us just feel better driving the cars with manual because we have more control over it.

Manual transmission has been MiA in NFS ever since Hot Pursuit 2010. The last NFS that had it was NFS Shift in 2009.

After that came The Run, Most Wanted 2012 and Rivals. None of them had manual.

Also here have a quote from a Criterion developer on the EA forums why it is missing in Most Wanted '12.

There are no options in game to enable manual gearing in most wanted.

(missing a gear during an epic chase could be costly.)

Heads up, Best Buy apparently has 50% bonus trade in right now. I traded in Mad Max

$18 for NFS day one with GCU

Just got home so haven't played, but from the beta alone I'd call that worth it lol

Manual transmission has been MiA in NFS ever since Hot Pursuit 2010. The last NFS that had it was NFS Shift in 2009.

After that came The Run, Most Wanted 2012 and Rivals. None of them had manual.

Also here have a quote from a Criterion developer on the EA forums why it is missing in Most Wanted '12.

Well then, I dropped out of NFS series after Carbon. That's really disappointing. Was hoping to get back into the series with this title.
Eh, that's the reason? That would be just the players' fault. If we just want to drive in manual, why not let us? We'll take the consequences on our decision, if we make one while racing.
But oh well, I could get used to automatic again, if I decide to pick up this game later on.

lem0n

Love the game so far, the issues people have don't bother me. Might not be a long-term game but I will definitely get my monies worth.

T.O.P

Banned
Love the game so far, the issues people have don't bother me. Might not be a long-term game but I will definitely get my monies worth.

Good to know

I'm angry at how good this could've been with some smarter decisions developement-wise but if i can get the half the fun i had in the beta, i'm in for a good time :)

Karak

I was never able to skip a single cutscene ever nor did a propt ever pop up despite absolutely hammering the shit out of the controller to see if one would lol

Megauap

Wow, the rubber branding in the race against Magnus is very noticeable. He suddenly accelerates and stays 3 seconds ahead of you. It's very annoying, can't win him.
Yes, my car is capable of this race (332km/h and 3.02s to get to 100km/h).
Any tips?

Voidwolf

Anyone know if it's possible to take one side of decals on my car and duplicate it onto the other side?

nikos

I'm 7.5 hours in, at 51% game completion. Here are some impressions:

Graphics/Performance: EDIT: Turns out it's not 900p on PS4. That's probably why I didn't notice it. In my 7.5 hours of gameplay, I noticed one instance of the game stuttering a bit. I'm interested to see a Digital Foundry analysis.

Sound: Not much to say, which is a good thing. Cars sound great, and the soundtrack has a nice variety of energetic tracks. There aren't different stations, but you can skip a you don't like by holding L3.

Story: If you're able to embrace the cheese, it's gold. I was a huge fan of the first Fast & Furious film when it was released. The amount of cheesy one liners in that movie was part of what made it a classic. If you have a sense of humor and/or are even mildly amused by this stuff, you'll like it. I'm actually interested to see where things will go in this story.

Driving: This is what matters most when it comes to racing games. Let's start by addressing the lack of manual transmissions. I'm someone who never chooses automatic in games. I've never even owned an automatic vehicle in real life. That being said, I haven't thought twice about not being able to use manual transmissions in this game. The automatic transmission works well. If you're drifting, for example, it keeps your revs high rather than shifting into a higher gear. It's almost impressive at times, and I haven't felt limited by it. I almost can't believe I just typed that.

Each car I've tried felt very different, and mods/tuning affect performance appropriately. You can adjust various steering/handling options to suit your driving style. Tuning a car for drifting feels drastically different than tuning it for grip. Once you set your car up properly, or even just adjust the master slider towards drift, drifting feels really great in this game. I'd probably go for grip in most games, but I'm finding myself drifting everywhere. Both seem to be viable options for winning, though there are many drift events you'll need to do, so the choice is yours.

I would have really liked to see additional performance tuning. Had manual transmission been in the game, we could have at least adjusted gear ratios. Engine and transmission tuning would have added a lot more depth to the game, as no two setups would be alike. That would have made drag/highway racing a ton of fun. I remember lining up on the side of SSR7 in GT5 and having makeshift drag/highway racing. With all of the tuning options, no two cars performed the same. That would have really made this game special.

There are plenty of visual mods as well. Most are unlocked by leveling, but a lot are available off the bat. One thing I really like is the ability to change your car's stance without affecting performance. If you like to slam your car to the ground, with all the negative camber in the world, go for it! The decal editor also has a ton of options. I'm curious to see what people are able to come up with in this game.

Gameplay: There's a decent amount of things to do between story events, side events, collectibles (72 in total), daily challenges (3 per day, that you'll most likely complete while doing other things), challenging players online, playing with cops, exploring, etc.

One design decision I'm not sure I agree with is the ability to teleport to any event. This leaves little reason to drive around and appreciate the city. On the other hand, it's good if you're trying to earn fast cash or get things done. I would have liked to see teleporting possible only if you've visited the location of the event.

You can still explore for fun, to challenge other players, or grab collectibles. There aren't many collectibles though, only 72 in total, and they seem pretty easy to find so far. Human and AI racers are seen driving around the map and can be challenged by pressing R1, just like Tokyo Xtreme Racer but headlights don't flash here for some reason. Of the 4 or 5 players I challenged, only one accepted. You can only 1v1, there are no traditional multiplayer races. I'm curious to know how many players can be in the same session at once. You can have eight players in a crew, but I'm hoping that's not the limit for the entire session.

Time of night ranges from around 3-6 AM, depending on where you are in the world, rather than over time. It's an odd design decision, and I'm wondering if it has to do with game performance under lighting conditions in certain areas. Perhaps the game just doesn't look good during the day, but I remember seeing an early daytime screen that looked great. The areas that are lighter look really nice, so maybe we'll see daytime patched in.

Speaking of patches, the map is decently sized but there are areas that look like they're missing roads. I'm interested to see if they'll be filled in, though I don't think map updates were a thing in past NFS games. That being said, there's a good variation between city, highway and mountain roads. The mounts are a lot of fun to drift around, and the highways are a blast to speed through. I felt some Tokyo Xtreme Racer vibes at times, which is always a good thing. (Hey Genki, where's our next-gen TXR? You were on the supported developers list when the PS4 was announced).

The cops in this game are easy to get away from, even at maximum heat level. I'm wondering if this will change as your Outlaw level goes up. They seem to be slightly more aggressive now that I'm leveling up, but it could be placebo. Having overly aggressive cops is extremely annoying, especially when you're just cruising or trying to get to a destination, but they're a bit too easy here. At times I appreciate it, because I'm not in the mood for a chase, but it's cheap enough to pull over and pay a fine if you aren't in the mood. I feel like they should be more aggressive, for those times you're looking to cause trouble.

There isn't too much traffic in the game, which sort of makes sense considering the time of night, but it would be nice to see a little more as streets almost feel too empty at times. Oddly enough, I feel like I noticed more traffic in the mountains than in the city.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. I can't believe I've already put so much time into it, and I still want to keep playing. I really hope EA supports it via patches and DLC. The lack of robust multiplayer options has me worried, but hopefully we can get a GAF crew together to mess around or something.

EDIT: Yikes, that was long. TL;DR: Game's good.

Karak

Coming in a later update I heard.

I swear. Everything good about this title is coming in a patch. Fun, cockpit, steering support, enjoyment. This is not the way to release a damned title with this kind of name recognition. Just getting completely hammered.

Karak

Wow, the rubber branding in the race against Magnus is very noticeable. He suddenly accelerates and stays 3 seconds ahead of you. It's very annoying, can't win him.
Yes, my car is capable of this race (332km/h and 3.02s to get to 100km/h).
Any tips?

Sorry I missed this. Honestly man I just kept going at him. The rubber branding was insane but I also learned that sometimes rubbin is racing and i had to take some folks out of the game. If it cheats so do I

I understand but none of those are things that define a NFS game.

NFS 2015 was inspired from the Underground/MW05/Carbon/etc. Games. I think it captures the essence of those games quite well, but still needs a lot of refinement and attention to detail.

For anyone having trouble with rocketship Amy or Magnus, try pushing them into barriers or at the final stretch, try to ram into their hood so they push you forward.

Did anybody preorder this from Best Buy? Was I supposed to get a card with a pre-order code in the disk, separately from Best Buy, or something on my receipt?

KRaZyAmmo

just played the first hour of it. I like how different each car feels, the customization, and gameplay. Now I do admit there's probably not enough meat for right now (hopefully good DLC/content updates/patches will fix that). I'm not too far in the game right now, but I am enjoying it. My PSN is my username if anyone wanna crew up and right now I'll be riding in my Keiichi Tsuchiya Hachiroku lol

nikos

just played the first hour of it. I like how different each car feels, the customization, and gameplay. Now I do admit there's probably not enough meat for right now (hopefully good DLC/content updates/patches will fix that). I'm not too far in the game right now, but I am enjoying it. My PSN is my username if anyone wanna crew up and right now I'll be riding in my Keiichi Tsuchiya Hachiroku lol

Going to add you. Will be on later tonight.

PSN is my GAF name as well.

Reviews dont seem too promising. Maybe the game will be cheaper by the time it comes out for PC (lol). If not, I'll wait for a sale :)

Loving it

MCk6s2b.jpg

(Sorry, it's JPG. I still think it looks nice)

lem0n

I swear. Everything good about this title is coming in a patch. Fun, cockpit, steering support, enjoyment. This is not the way to release a damned title with this kind of name recognition. Just getting completely hammered.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like the game, you could probably stand to not tell us every post you make in here though. Yes, it's a forum, yes, it's part of discussion, but I think we get it by now.

Arttemis

Driving: This is what matters most when it comes to racing games. Let's start by addressing the lack of manual transmissions. I'm someone who never chooses automatic in games. I've never even owned an automatic vehicle in real life. That being said, I haven't thought twice about not being able to use manual transmissions in this game. The automatic transmission works well. If you're drifting, for example, it keeps your revs high rather than shifting into a higher gear. It's almost impressive at times, and I haven't felt limited by it. I almost can't believe I just typed that.

Each car I've tried felt very different, and mods/tuning affect performance appropriately. You can adjust various steering/handling options to suit your driving style. Tuning a car for drifting feels drastically different than tuning it for grip. Once you set your car up properly, or even just adjust the master slider towards drift, drifting feels really great in this game. I'd probably go for grip in most games, but I'm finding myself drifting everywhere. Both seem to be viable options for winning, though there are many drift events you'll need to do, so the choice is yours.

I would have really liked to see additional performance tuning. Had manual transmission been in the game, we could have at least adjusted gear ratios. Engine and transmission tuning would have added a lot more depth to the game, as no two setups would be alike. That would have made drag/highway racing a ton of fun. I remember lining up on the side of SSR7 in GT5 and having makeshift drag/highway racing. With all of the tuning options, no two cars performed the same. That would have really made this game special.
There's already documented videos showing the automatic transmission gimping acceleration after turns during a race. A simple issue that would be solved by a downshift with a manual transmission, completely absent due to its omission.

Also, the lack of a drag racing mode is absurd. And, most obscene, is the mandatory online without any justification, or even decent multiplayer design.

Top Bottom