• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help installing Morrowind.

pgtl_10

When I tried to install the game, I get a two line error saying

"An installation support file could not be installed"

"Catastrophic failure"

I get the same message when I try to uninstall the game. I can't install or uninstall the game. Anybody has any idea how to fix the problem?

madmook

What's your operating system? What version of the game are you installing? Install any of the expansion packs? Install any patches?

Ronabo

Are you using anything that has virtual drives? Like Alcohol 120% or DAEMON Tools.

Also, THIS site seems to have a solution.

pgtl_10

Ronabo said:
Are you using anything that has virtual drives? Like Alcohol 120% or DAEMON Tools.

Also, THIS site seems to have a solution.

Anything more reasonable?

My Computer is:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz., 512 RAM, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440, Windows XP Home Edition.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I only laughed because a solution was already posted, not because I was trying to be a dick.

pgtl_10

The solution requires me to use another computer and that is really not possible. Furthermore I can't use add/remove progams from the control panel to get rid of the program.

Mejilan

Did you try copying the contents of the CD-ROM to your HDD, and running the install from there? I can't imagine what difference a second computer would make, in this scenario.

pgtl_10

Mejilan said:
Did you try copying the contents of the CD-ROM to your HDD, and running the install from there? I can't imagine what difference a second computer would make, in this scenario.

I'm a PC noob. I actually thought about what you said but I don't know how to do that.

Mejilan

Create a new folder on your desktop called MWCD or something (name doesn't matter).
Open up My Computer.
Right click on the CD drive that's holding the Morrowind CD.
Instead of hitting Open or Autoplay, select Explore.
Once the contents of the CD loads, hit Ctrl-A to select all.
Copy.
Open up that folder you created on your desktop.
Paste.
Once the files are transferred over, locate the setup/installation executable, and try running it.

I've never done this, so I have no idea if it'll work, but that's the basic gist of the process.

Good luck!

Mejilan

Same error, huh? And you're running the executable that's on your HDD, not the one on the disc, right?

Well, it was worth a shot. :/

pgtl_10

Mejilan said:
Same error, huh? And you're running the executable that's on your HDD, not the one on the disc, right?

Well, it was worth a shot. :/

Yeah the only thing I could think of is a factory reset. Would a Windows System restore do the job?

Mejilan

Doubt it. Some random googling suggests the following:

Sometimes it's just a glitch at installation. Before you try to reinstall, you will need to totally uninstall ALL programs Morrowind has downloaded. Go to your Control Panel, click on Add Remove Programs, find the Morrowind and uninstall. Then check your C: drive to make sure ALL folders are deleted. Shut your computer down and restart. Turn of any Virus programs you may have running and try to reinstall Morrowind. It is VERY important that you make sure before you reinstall that you have removed all of the previous Morrowind programs.

pgtl_10

Mejilan said:
Doubt it. Some random googling suggests the following:

Sometimes it's just a glitch at installation. Before you try to reinstall, you will need to totally uninstall ALL programs Morrowind has downloaded. Go to your Control Panel, click on Add Remove Programs, find the Morrowind and uninstall. Then check your C: drive to make sure ALL folders are deleted. Shut your computer down and restart. Turn of any Virus programs you may have running and try to reinstall Morrowind. It is VERY important that you make sure before you reinstall that you have removed all of the previous Morrowind programs.

I'll try it.

Mejilan

It can be dangerous to eff with the registry if you don't know what you're doing.

However, when all else fails, make sure MW is fully uninstalled (nothing in Add/Remove Programs) and download a program called CrapCleaner (CCleaner). It MIGHT be able to help in that regard, without you directly editing your registry.

Top Bottom