• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help picking a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco11

My brother did not heed my advice and bought a Gateway computer off of Home shopping network. He got this computer "Gateway 702GE Intel P4 3.2GHz Desktop Computer, 250GB HDD, 1GB DDR,DVD Burner, 17" LCD " this is the video card listed (or lack there of :lol ) . He is now looking to put a real videocard in his computer. This where I need some help. What is the best videocard out there that we can put into his computer for around $200? Can he throw a 9800Pro into it or is it not compatible? I pasted a link to the specs for this comp.

Thanks!

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1917489&web_id=1917489&sz=0&sf=ec&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=50&prev=hp!sf!50&ocm=

Matlock

Banned
superkyro.jpg

Good luck with that, though--comps from Gateway are notoriously shitty with non OEM installed parts, especially on mobos that have the Intel accelerator. :p

AntoneM

# PCI-E x16: 1
# PCI-E x1: 1
# PCI: 3

here we go straight form Gateway's website. What this means is that if he were to get a video card it would have to be PCIexpress, it just so happens that the 2 best PCIexpress cards around $200 are the 6600GT as mentioned above or the x700 Pro. A 9800 pro would not work.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
best advice has already been mentioned.

gohepcat

Banned
max_cool said:
here we go straight form Gateway's website. What this means is that if he were to get a video card it would have to be PCIexpress, it just so happens that the 2 best PCIexpress cards around $200 are the 6600GT as mentioned above or the x700 Pro. A 9800 pro would not work.

6600GT is a little better IMHO than the x700Pro. I also think you can actually find it too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
check his power supply though. I bought a 6600GT (AGP) and you have to plug it into the powersupply from your PC. I only had a 300W PSU and it didn't like it at all. Now I have a 450W and its OK.

tuco11

Thanks for the responses. Would a 6600GT be able to run the latest games at an acceptable performance? Because right now Command and Conquer Generals freezes up on his machine. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom