• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need opinions on these PSOne games...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
box-usfront.jpg

start.jpg

Found them amidst a stash of old games in my closet. Never actually played either of them, how good are they?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I've never actually played Dragon Valor, but I'm wondering if the team behind Drakengard also worked on DV...

Any ideas? Cavia is made up of ex-Namco guys IIRC and it was never clear as to which specific group it was.

Shouta

Vanguard Bandits isn`t too bad. A fluffy SRPG with a number of different endings. THe English Version of the game plays much better than the original JP version.

Tamanon

Banned
Vanguard Bandits was good for the time, has a few branches to it and the translation is typical Working Designs goodness. Not sure how well it ages, I'm tempted to try my copy again.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
wow that's 3 instances for me where dragon valor has been brought up today. I guess it's a sign.

Soul4ger

Dragon Valor isn't very good. Vanguard Bandits is above-average fun. I think it might actually be WD's best translation, and the gameplay has been significantly improved for the domestic release.

Shouta

WD`s translation of Arc The Lad was way better than Vanguard Bandits.

Thousand Arms is wholllllly average. Although the concept of the battle system is kind of interesting and the forging system is as well, the game just plays out terribly. The dating parts are kinda funny though.

Soul4ger

Shouta said:
WD`s translation of Arc The Lad was way better than Vanguard Bandits.

Thousand Arms is wholllllly average. Although the concept of the battle system is kind of interesting and the forging system is as well, the game just plays out terribly. The dating parts are kinda funny though.

I own AtlC, but I haven't played beyond Arc I in the domestic version. WD sent me that to play, and I didn't think the translation was all that impressive.

Vanguard Bandits is a great localization, in my opinion.

Brandon F

Yes.

My storage locker.

In the back.

I found it.

It's usually rare I buy games I don't play, but during this particular era, there were a LOT of games that slipped into immediate backlog status the moment I bought them. These are some examples. Any thoughts to offer on em?

Edit: Sounds like I am missing out on nothing here. I did notice that the first disk of Vanguard Bandits is missing tho... Was the game 2 discs? Or have I just lost some crazy WD append disk with 'making-of' junk?

Shouta

AtL 1 and 2 are fairly dry. They`re fairly serious games that are a bit too serious at times if you ask me. Arc 3 is a total riot though and has tons of humor but not as much WD flavor like what I saw when playing Albert Odyssey Gaiden from them recently.

Culex

Banned
Definately pick up both Lunar's for the PSX, especially Eternal Blue, if you don't already own the Sega CD versions.

Scott

Brandon F said:
I did notice that the first disk of Vanguard Bandits is missing tho... Was the game 2 discs? Or have I just lost some crazy WD append disk with 'making-of' junk?
1 disc for the game, 1 disc for the Lunar 2 demo. Maybe you put the demo in the Lunar 2 box (if you have it)? I think there was an extra slot for it.

Brandon F

Scott said:
1 disc for the game, 1 disc for the Lunar 2 demo. Maybe you put the demo in the Lunar 2 box (if you have it)? I think there was an extra slot for it.

AH! It may actually be there!

I wouldn't put it past myself to put the demo of the game I later -bought- into the box because an extra sleeve was there telling me I could. I can be such a tool sometimes.

Oh like none of you did it as well!!

Bah, I'm gonna go test out Rhapsody again now. (Yea I found that Nippon Ichi 'classic' as well...)

Top Bottom