• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Needle in the haystack - looking for a good first person stealth game (weapons mandatory) I haven't played yet

bati

edit: Forgot to specify in the title - PC only!

I've been on a pretty bad Nioh blender lately, where I'm playing with a ninja spec, mostly stealthing around and oneshotting enemies with kunai. It has been such a fun experience that it made me feel like playing a proper stealth/assassin game again, but I think I've played most of what's available, so I'm creating this thread in hope that I might have overlooked a hidden gem. Games I've already played:

- Thief (new one)
- Dishonored
- Deus Ex (all of them)
- Prey
- all Bethesda games, Fallout New Vegas
- all STALKER games
- both Metro games
- Alien Isolation
- all Bioshocks
- System Shock 2 (technically not a stealth game, but still)
- Crysis 1 and 2 (barely qualify)
- EYE: Divine Cybermancy
- most Far Cry games
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
- Chronicles of Riddick

Games I have no interest in:

- Dishonored 2 (my current gpu can't handle it)
- Arx Fatalis (played recently, lost interest 2/3 through)
- Thief 1, 2, Deadly Shadows (a little low on murdering for my current mood)
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (haven't played yet, looks solid, maybe a little dated)
- games without weapons - that means Amnesia and other games made for pacifists
- Sniper Elite series (not my thing)

Please throw some names at me before I reinstall Skyrim with Requiem mod and roll a stealth archer, lol.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Killzone Shadow Fall (I kid you not) has a lot of stealth sections in it. Now, it does often descend into a shooting gallery, but, it's far more stealthy than previous entries in the series.

bati

Killzone Shadow Fall (I kid you not) has a lot of stealth sections in it. Now, it does often descend into a shooting gallery, but, it's far more stealthy than previous entries in the series.

That's unfortunately console only, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for PC games, my bad.

LiamExe

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines could potentially offer the experience you're looking for, as its gameplay is in the same style as Deus Ex and the like, and stealth is a component--though not the main focus of the experience. There's even a particular race of vampire you can play where you're encouraged to stick to the shadows as most humans will freak out at the sight of you (Nosferatu). Though the game does lean a bit too much into combat heavy scenarios on the latter half, and if you're specced too heavily into just stealth/social talents you'll find yourself at a disadvantage.

Edit: Oops, I originally recommended Alpha Protocol too though realised you specified just first person experiences, my bad. As far as I can recall, Bloodlines is first person though.

Last edited:

bati

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines could potentially offer the experience you're looking for, as its gameplay is in the same style as Deus Ex and the like, and stealth is a component--though not the main focus of the experience. There's even a particular race of vampire you can play where you're encouraged to stick to the shadows as most humans will freak out at the sight of you (Nosferatu). Though the game does lean a bit too much into combat heavy scenarios on the latter half, and if you're specced too heavily into just stealth/social talents you'll find yourself at a disadvantage.

Edit: Oops, I originally recommended Alpha Protocol too though realised you specified just first person experiences, my bad. As far as I can recall, Bloodlines is first person though.

Played VtmB, forgot to list it :(. Great game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Wolfenstein new order has stealth sections and I think a lot of the game could be played using stealth.

ruvikx

Banned
That's unfortunately console only, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for PC games, my bad.

There's Condemned Criminal Origins on PC, although some people would probably say it's more just a first person melee game (I had the game on Xbox). I'd personally recommend Rage, i.e. whilst not a stealth game per se, the Ghost hideouts can be quite stealthy depending on the player's gameplay preference.

bati

There's Condemned Criminal Origins on PC, although some people would probably say it's more just a first person melee game (I had the game on Xbox). I'd personally recommend Rage, i.e. whilst not a stealth game per se, the Ghost hideouts can be quite stealthy depending on the player's gameplay preference.

I've played Rage but it doesn't really qualify here. Wolfenstein that someone mentioned above also isn't quite what I'm looking for but it is true that you can utilize stealth quite a bit.

I've only played Condemned for a few minutes and the combat just didn't grab me for some reason. Does it have (m)any stealth sections? It's on my list to play someday, in any case.

ruvikx

Banned
I've only played Condemned for a few minutes and the combat just didn't grab me for some reason. Does it have (m)any stealth sections? It's on my list to play someday, in any case.

I can only remember (i.e. it has been ten years since I played it) moving slowly through really dark rooms & corridors whilst bludgeoning enemies with crowbars etc. It was certainly 'fun', IMO, but as for stealth? A big question mark right there. I heard Shadow Warrior 2 (on pc) added stealth as an option: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/27024...set-free-shows-off-stealth-climbing-wangisms/

The feature focus of the gameplay demo is diverse. Shadow Warrior 2 is putting a new focus on broader, more open level design, allowing players to approach fights as they prefer and then take advantage of the environment to rout their enemies as they please. This is compounded by the addition of climbing and vertical depth to level design. Keep in mind that the original Shadow Warrior was almost entirely just a corridor shooter. Shadow Warrior 2 also adds stealth, because what's the use of open environments if you just have to run in guns blazing without positioning yourself for the perfect fight first? Then, of course, there's just the improvements to overall visual quality too.

Valdega

Shadow Warrior 2 isn't a stealth game at all. There's an ability where you can briefly turn invisible but that's it. It's a run and gun shooter all the way.

You've already played or have no interest in most of the first-person stealth games that have killing. There's not much left except for games that are old or of lesser quality.

Possibilities:
- No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
- Get Even
- Solarix
- Consortium 2 (not out yet)

bati

I know it’s 3rd person but Hitman is excellent. Man, I wish they made more stealth shooters/games in general

3rd person or not, uniform changing/diguise is hands down one of the most annoying mechanics I've ever experienced in RPGs so I'm steering clear of this series.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
3rd person or not, uniform changing/diguise is hands down one of the most annoying mechanics I've ever experienced in RPGs so I'm steering clear of this series.

You should look into the latest game some more. You can complete the entire game without ever needing to change your disguise and in fact that is the only way to achieve the best rating for each level. It is surely not at all first person, but it is among the finest stealth games ever made and can be played with true stealth or weapons, or a combination as suits you. I highly recommend it for stealth game fans. It is a reboot so no need to play older titles.

ruvikx

Banned
I know you say PC only & first person, but, for the sake of the people who read this (& perhaps your own curiosity), I'd add Horizon Zero Dawn as a must have stealth game, i.e. the 'hide & sneak' combat against the machines is absolutely fantastic. The human outposts are also pretty good as well (definitely in a Far Cry type gameplay).

dyergram

Have you tried the far cry games not strictly stealth but the gameplay allows you to tackle it that way if you choose and tbh tackling the outposts without raising alarms is incredibly satisfying.

I’m having a hard time resolving your title and the fact that you don’t want to play Thief 1 and 2. I feel like I am Nomad. I am perfect. That which is imperfect must be sterilized.

bati

I’m having a hard time resolving your title and the fact that you don’t want to play Thief 1 and 2. I feel like I am Nomad. I am perfect. That which is imperfect must be sterilized.

Because I'm currently leaning more towards the assassin side, and in Thief you (ideally) don't kill anyone.

Why not play a awesome 2D stealth game, like Mark of The Ninja?

I have, it's a great game, but I'm specifically looking for a 1st person game.

Valdega

You should look into the latest game some more. You can complete the entire game without ever needing to change your disguise and in fact that is the only way to achieve the best rating for each level. It is surely not at all first person, but it is among the finest stealth games ever made and can be played with true stealth or weapons, or a combination as suits you. I highly recommend it for stealth game fans. It is a reboot so no need to play older titles.

This. I'm not sure why the OP is limiting himself to first-person games because HITMAN is easily the best stealth assassination game out there.

hivsteak

You have never played Blood Money. The rest of the Hitman series is a joke in comparison to that entry.

Among what you've played and what you're willing to play, you're searching for a unicorn. Splinter Cell Blacklist fits what you're looking for the best, with great stealth and highly customizable weapons, both lethal or non-lethal, and the game doesn't punish you for killing.

You may also want to check out Consortium on Steam which is a Deus Ex inspired game

Also, Hitman is one of the best stealth games ever made. Don't write off an amazing game because disguise mechanics have been done poorly in other games. What kind of logic is that? I would also recommend Hitman Absolution, which is perhaps closer to Splinter Cell in terms of narrative and pacing, but it has great moments that lend themselves well to stealthy lethal kills with weapons.

bati

Among what you've played and what you're willing to play, you're searching for a unicorn. Splinter Cell Blacklist fits what you're looking for the best, with great stealth and highly customizable weapons, both lethal or non-lethal, and the game doesn't punish you for killing.

You may also want to check out Consortium on Steam which is a Deus Ex inspired game

Also, Hitman is one of the best stealth games ever made. Don't write off an amazing game because disguise mechanics have been done poorly in other games. What kind of logic is that? I would also recommend Hitman Absolution, which is perhaps closer to Splinter Cell in terms of narrative and pacing, but it has great moments that lend themselves well to stealthy lethal kills with weapons.

I have played most of the 3rd person stealth games too, including Blacklist. It's actually one of my favorite stealth games ever made (personally I think it's better than CT but I'm probably in the minority on that one). I'm specifically looking for a first person game this time though. If I weren't, Styx games would be near or at the top of my list to play because I haven't played them yet.

As for Hitman, it was actually Absolution that soured me on the disguise mechanic. I hated the puzzle nature of that game so much that I completely lost interest in ever exploring the rest of the series.

PooBone

Condemned isn't really very stealthy but easy to recommend because it's so fucking awesome.
Also, Alien: Isolation! Best alien game ever, by a long shot.

EDIT: Shame you don't want to try out Hitman. I never enjoyed any of those games but the newest one is excellent, and I think the first of the six episodes is free.

Last edited:

Valdega

I have played most of the 3rd person stealth games too, including Blacklist. It's actually one of my favorite stealth games ever made (personally I think it's better than CT but I'm probably in the minority on that one). I'm specifically looking for a first person game this time though. If I weren't, Styx games would be near or at the top of my list to play because I haven't played them yet.

As for Hitman, it was actually Absolution that soured me on the disguise mechanic. I hated the puzzle nature of that game so much that I completely lost interest in ever exploring the rest of the series.

Absolution is the worst entry in the series and one of the reasons for that were the changes they made to the disguise system. Basically, anybody wearing the same outfit as you could detect you. You were essentially forced to rely on cover most of the time, which oddly made it play more like Splinter Cell than Hitman. The new Hitman is much more forgiving and you can clearly tell which NPCs are able to detect you. The levels also do a good job of conveying which areas are accessible with your current outfit. I'd definitely give the new Hitman a try before swearing off the series. It's the most accessible and in many ways, the best entry.

Top Bottom