• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson to host a Late Night show on National Geographic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

The Verge said:
Neil DeGrasse Tyson is getting a late night National Geographic talk show - It's like the podcast, but with a budget

fAR10dK.png

Neil DeGrasse Tyson's foray into television with the reboot of Cosmos last year has led to another show about science. Today the National Geographic Channel said that it's tapping Tyson for what will be its first late-night series, called Star Talk. According to a release about the new program, obtained by The Wrap, it's going to be a lot like Tyson's podcast, which has been running since June 2009:

Based on Tyson's incredibly popular podcast of the same name, the new series will bridge the intersection between pop culture and science as it brings together celebrities, comedians and scientists to discuss the latest developments in our vast universe.

The weekly program airs in April and will be taped in front of a studio audience at the American Museum of National History's Hayden Planetarium, Nat Geo says. No word yet on who the first guests or topic will be, but Tyson generally has a lot to talk about with just about anyone, including Twitter at large.

Tyson's first and only season of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, aired on Fox last May and ran 13 episodes. The program was an ambitious reboot of the 1980 TV series by astronomer Carl Sagan, and would run on Nat Geo the day it aired on Fox.
Didn't see a thread about this yet. As a fan of the podcast and Cosmos, I like this news very much.

potam

Banned
I found his presentation pretty bland in Cosmos. Hopefully his guests will make the conversations better.

I found his presentation pretty bland in Cosmos. Hopefully his guests will make the conversations better.
What do you mean by presentation? The way he spoke?

He gave me that rustling up by the camp fire storytelling vibe (and I've never rustled up to a camp fire).

potam

Banned
What do you mean by presentation? The way he spoke?

He gave me that rustling up by the camp fire storytelling vibe (and I've never rustled up to a camp fire).

Yeah. Something about his speaking style...I wouldn't be able to pinpoint it exactly without watching it again. He's not bad; he's just not good.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah. Something about his speaking style...I wouldn't be able to pinpoint it exactly without watching it again. He's not bad; he's just not good.

It was more of a storytelling than a lecture. Depending on your preference in how to hear facts, it can be either way.

I thought he was a little corny but it was fine for the format ultimately. If he is more casually talking about the same stuff it might be more enjoyable and a little less condensed-feeling

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The title alone exues that. Star Fucking Talk. No messing about there.

Neil already has a podcast named StarTalk (which is really good). I feel like this show will be in the same format, or something similar.

EDIT: Just read OP. This was already stated.

GCX

I thought he was a little corny but it was fine for the format ultimately. If he is more casually talking about the same stuff it might be more enjoyable and a little less condensed-feeling
The StarTalk podcast is very casual and Tyson is really great interviewer in it. I'm sure he'll make a great host.

Amir0x

Banned
StarTalk radio is fun, a little forced at times to try to elicit the "funny" moments but always engaging with the info. I approve.

I hope they still do the podcast, or at least just run an audio version of the show as a podcast. I listen to Star Talk on my bike rides to work and need it still in my life.

Will watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom