• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann - "Our new project is something very fresh for our Studio" (new IP confirmed yet again)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

GOY7pMfaMAAbqap

Heres what he ACTUALLY said in that interview everyone was going haywire over.

God damn sony needs a showcase - I cant wait to see what this is.

- Most excited he's been on a project
- Something very fresh for the studio.

My bet is something open world.

Last edited:
He's not wrong about any of this. And it makes sense for Sony to unironically synergize their gaming and movie businesses - they are clearly the best at making those cinematic narratives come to life through gameplay. BUT, Sony as a company has taken that focus to the extreme. Neil clearly wants to continue in that direction, and I am looking forward to what they bring to the table with their next project. He is also right that those movie/TV show narratives will bring in new customers to gaming.

I am hopeful he can convince non-gamers that there are some types of storylines that can't be portrayed in other methods of media, that only a game can convey (think NieR Automata and ending E).

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Next Naughty Dog game is at the top of my list of games I can't wait to see revealed.
If SSM would be brave they would invite NeDu over and let him direct a whole new God of War Atreus game. Imagine wall climbing, jumping through waterfalls, listen to the well written story and dialogues. Plus explosions. I'm in awe.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Seems like what was described the 1st time. New IP, different. Then he spends most of it talking about TV and non-gamers.

Take from that what you will. Always interested to see a new IP, so cant wait to see it.

Švejk

So that's not what you said Neil? Did AI say that? Want to redirect the blame? Gaslight something else? Maybe you should just shut your mouth and get back to work making something good again.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Seems like what was described the 1st time. New IP, different. Then he spends most of it talking about TV and non-gamers.
Context is huge here though. He's talking about his hopes that non gamers who experience games through TV and film adaptations will look at those and be curious enough about the games that inspired them that they'll check out those games.

That's why these faithful adaptations are important. I think it was important to clarify the last sentence in the original answer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Less talking more showing. No one cares what he has to say. We love his games. His wife and kids love him. Talk to them. Give us the games. And we will pay him $70 for it. No one gets misconstrued.

He hasn’t made a game in 4 years. Just stop talking.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Less talking more showing. No one cares what he has to say. We love his games. His wife and kids love him. Talk to them. Give us the games. And we will pay him $70 for it. No one gets misconstrued.

Funnily enough, that's about how long it takes to make a game!

T0minator

Sounds good, although I'll probably wait 6 months for them to release the remastered version.
🙄

Games take time to make, they released Uncharted 4 in 2016
TLOU 2 in 2020

Games nowadays( at the scale Naughty Dog achieves) take about 5-6 years.

They need to make some revenue in between their big releases because of the longer development time. It makes sense to upgrade their games in between the big releases. Their new IP will mostly release in 2025-2026

Last edited:

JaksGhost

He wasn’t talking to you guys he was talking to investors at Sony. Gamers have blurred the lines and believe they have a seat at that table for some odd reason. Sony edited the interview and put it on their website. Not a PlayStation blog post which is where they post for consumers.

CLW

Sooooooo this remake studio thinks it can come up with a new some non shitshow for a story again? Doubtful.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sooooooo this remake studio thinks it can come up with a new some non shitshow for a story again? Doubtful.
No one has surpassed their last game in terms of... anything really (graphics aside, but only because of new tech, not talent). its time for them to overlap the industry again and raise the bar once again. cannot wait

Last edited:

Alebrije

Hope is Snow Mountains survival horror action RPG. When the Main character psycologically grows on it's path to the end

Something like the movie The grey

into-the-fray-the-grey.gif

Woggleman

I would not call TLOU2 the best ever but it is one of my favorites of the past few years. One of my main reasons for buying a PS5 was being able to play it at 60 FPS.

We are going to do something focusing on gameplay first!

If only... but it's probably going to be even more non-interactive stuff. More story, more actors, more cutscenes... I guess we'll see but I am not optimistic as nowadays Druckmann is more of a Series director than anything else.

Shin-Ra

Drake’s Fortune and Part I, while not their most refined, fully developed games, are my favourite ND games overall so a new IP would be very exciting.

near

Gold Member
There's quite a lot of people out that naming TLOU2 as their favorite game ever...not even a weird take.
It's hyperbole when you claim that nothing has surpassed it "in terms of... anything really". There are games which have far better narrative and level designs that plenty of people could name, but I guess you could argue it's subjective.

It's hyperbole when you claim that nothing has surpassed it "in terms of... anything really". There are games which have far better narrative and level designs that plenty of people could name, but I guess you could argue it's subjective.
Yeah at the end of the day that's what i mean.

If you named like the day 1 release date Cyberpunk as the best game ever and not yet surpassed since then you would be factually incorrect though lmao.

Top Bottom