• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent |OT| of "click here if you like Professor Layton"

Twig

Banned
Wizpig said:
Never heard of that one :\

And in related news... the game still isn't out! :'(
)':

7th Guest is an ancient FMV horror game, though I had actually completely forgotten it involved Layton-like puzzles until Celine reminded me.

Wizpig

Twig said:
)':

7th Guest is an ancient FMV horror game, though I had actually completely forgotten it involved Layton-like puzzles until Celine reminded me.
Ah, I see, but I'd better say that I think the point of that review was that it's very much like Layton, not just "inspired" like maybe Layton was compared to 7th Guest.
The point is, though, as someone else said... that review reads like the reviewer started to play when he already made his mind :p

We'll see, but I read more than a couple of happy reviewers and good reviews, so one "3/5" is no big deal. (and not a 1/5 either)

And having said that,
good night, I'll miss the "minute-one" for PA =(
Have fun, I'll play this tomorrow... in about 19-20 hours =(

epmode

Just played this for a bit. It's pretty much a Layton reskin, minus the animated cutscenes. Strange puzzle-happy townsfolk, 3 hints per puzzle, a performance rating system, MYSTERIOUS plot, etc.

Still, it's enjoyable and the 2D style is refreshing when compared to Telltale's usual samey stuff.

Moar 2D pls!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holding out for the iPhone version

Peff

Finished! It's a cool game, but probably not near the best of Telltale, I think. The problem is that it feels like the first episode of a series, but since so far that is not the case, a lot of stuff is unresolved and a lot of people will hate the ending. A shame, because it's genuinely creepy at times and very atmospheric with a fantastic soundtrack. The puzzles themselves range between decent and good and some are a bit obscure or could be explained better, but most of them are well integrated in the plot, which is a plus. All in all, I liked it and there's potential, so we'll see if it's fulfilled :D

One thing that bothered me, though
when you're locked by Glori, aren't you supposed to be looking for the key to the door inside the fish? Why does he get out through the window then :lol ?

Peff

Wizpig said:
Thanks for the comments - how many hours did you put in the game?

Around three, I think, probably a bit more. I found all the optional puzzles and didn't use hints, so that added a bit.

M3d10n

epmode said:
Just played this for a bit. It's pretty much a Layton reskin, minus the animated cutscenes. Strange puzzle-happy townsfolk, 3 hints per puzzle, a performance rating system, MYSTERIOUS plot, etc.

Still, it's enjoyable and the 2D style is refreshing when compared to Telltale's usual samey stuff.

Moar 2D pls!
Sold! Love me some Layton, and the more the better (even if it's a clone).

Wizpig

Peff said:
Around three, I think, probably a bit more. I found all the optional puzzles and didn't use hints, so that added a bit.
Not bad, not bad... heck, I think it's more than an episode of Sam & Max TDP... I think.
M3d10n said:
Sold! Love me some Layton, and the more the better (even if it's a clone).
Nice avatar.

Just to clarify, I didn't dislike it just because it was like Professor Layton, that was just the angle of my review. I fact, I didn't dislike it at all (3/5 is a good score). I just thought it was a little underwhelming, especially when compared with the creativity of other Telltale games.

That said, I'd totally like there to be a second episode, as you're left with a lot of unanswered questions.

Twig

Banned
slaughterking said:
I wish they would just stealth-release it on Steam right now and give it a proper push when the Summer Sale is over. :(
You could always buy it from Telltale's website. It's not like the website is poisonous or anything.

Wizpig

Playing it, awesome so far :OOO

What puzzles me is that you can find gum (hint coins) everywhere, and multiple times in the same spot o_O

Twig

Banned
How graphics intensive is the game? It's 2D, so I expect it to be less so than, say, the latest episode of Sam and Max.

I'm on my laptop, now, and I want to experience it at its best. ):

Peff

Twig said:
How graphics intensive is the game? It's 2D, so I expect it to be less so than, say, the latest episode of Sam and Max.

I'm on my laptop, now, and I want to experience it at its best. ):

Not very, it is 3D but I would say about the same as Season Two or Strong Bad.

Wizpig

Yeah I don't know but I think Peff is right; also there are no graphics settings.

You can slide bars for SFX - voice - music and choose your resolution.
Looks "=O" at 1080p.

And yay, I'm stumped like an idiot at one of the first puzzles. :\

Well, this was not what I expected at all. I thought it was going to be a standard(yet awesome) Telltale affair but goddamn, this shit's disturbing. I love it! Puzzles could use some work(lots of similar stuff despite it's short length) but everything else is great. The writing and voice-acting fits the tone perfectly. Humor is great too.

I really hope they continue this series, lots of potential and loose ends to be tied up here. Even if you're not a fan of Telltale I think you should give it a shot. A very unique gaming-experience.

Celine

justinmcelroy said:
Just to clarify, I didn't dislike it just because it was like Professor Layton, that was just the angle of my review. I fact, I didn't dislike it at all (3/5 is a good score). I just thought it was a little underwhelming, especially when compared with the creativity of other Telltale games.

That said, I'd totally like there to be a second episode, as you're left with a lot of unanswered questions.
Maybe it is the nature of Telltale pilot program, small projects that can show promise but that aren't full developed so to test the market reaction first.

Wizpig said:
Never heard of that one :\
(
It was the first CD-Rom hit ( it sold around 4 million copies ).
The structure has many points in common with the Layton one.
I said that only because I've always found funny that people consider Layton a never before seen product.

Overall I say the best feature of 7th Guest was the somewhat good mood and the amazing OST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rV1...74030EBC&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=13

guidop

Bought and finished the game yesterday it took about 4 to 5 hours a little bit underwhelming really. I still had fun though I wouldn't really recommend the game at $10. I feel it is a bit to much for what you get at $5-8 dollars its definitely worth a purchase

Ramenman

Peff said:

I'll pick it up then. Layton has 3x more puzzles for 3x the price, so I guess it's fair.

If I buy the Mac version on TellTale's site do I also get the PC version ? Or is it a "need to buy it for every platform" situation ?

Peff

Ramenman said:
If I buy the Mac version on TellTale's site do I also get the PC version ? Or is it a "need to buy it for every platform" situation ?

You get both when you buy it, yes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
any word on an iPhone version, Miseur Rodkin?

Wizpig

guidop said:
Bought and finished the game yesterday it took about 4 to 5 hours a little bit underwhelming really. I still had fun though I wouldn't really recommend the game at $10. I feel it is a bit to much for what you get at $5-8 dollars its definitely worth a purchase
I find the price perfect, actually.
On XBLA or PSN it would probably be at an higher price.

Expecting this to be $5 is crazy, considering all the effort with the graphics, music etc.

Crescendo170 said:
I just realized I bought two copies on Telltales site. Is there any way to gift the game to someone?
On your My Games page on Telltales site it should just show the download button and the two activation codes. Just link the person you would want to gift it to the download link and give them one of the codes.

Twig

Banned
I just beat it (I think - the screen went black after
Tethers helps the blond 'stache agent with the crossword
but I saw no credits).

The game is grand. A lot of the puzzles were really easy, especially the ones where the puzzle pieces just "click" into place, but more than enough of them stumped me to satisfy my Layton itch.

Jake: when will we know if the series will continue? O:

Jake

Twig said:
I just beat it (I think - the screen went black after
Tethers helps the blond 'stache agent with the crossword
but I saw no credits).

Were you playing a press build or something? The released version should play credits then drop you into a scene with Nelson at his desk and say "puzzle free play" at the bottom, with all puzzles unlocked.

Twig

Banned
Jake said:
Were you playing a press build or something? The released version should play credits then drop you into a scene with Nelson at his desk and say "puzzle free play" at the bottom, with all puzzles unlocked.
Nope, downloaded straight from Telltale's website. I'm not a member of any form of press.

I just chalked it up to my laptop being a POS and causing problems where there shouldn't be any.

Bebpo

Banned
I kind of wish there was a demo. Normally I'd buy it to support Telltale, but because it's a testbed for a new series I don't want to be another drop in the "yes" until I actually play it and enjoy it and want more as opposed to wanting the team to try something else in the same timeframe.

Probably will buy it anyways because I like Layton and I like Telltale. But the game should come with like a survey or something at the end credits (would you like to see more games in this series: yes/no).

Bebpo

Banned
haha, that teaches me for not investigating enough before posting ^^;

Played the demo, love, love, loveeeed the animation quality. It's like watching a real movie! Bought the full game. Yay!

Wizpig

Happy you liked it -- as for me this is going be the third day I play this and honestly I don't know if I'm half-way through or what: IMHO for $9 it's a pretty big game.

Wizpig

Damn that (spoilers)
"reassemble the cog" puzzle after you get the 3 pieces from the 3 members

... I have to change my pants.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh man, this just completely fucking rocks.

The art style is so unique and perfect and beautiful. I love the score, the awkward dialogue, the hint system, the atmosphere, the characters, all of it. And so far, I'm surprised people have complained about it being too easy; some of the early puzzles have made me feel kinda dumb.

I hope it sells a million copies. It's really something special.

Odrion

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Looks great. I said I'll support telltale when they start coming up with their own stories and characters and here we have it!
not really doing anything too original, look at the artist's youtube work - very similar stuff.

Top Bottom