• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Fulge1973

Banned
Most Wanted

Aero Fighters 2
Baseball Stars 2
Blazing Star
Football Frenzy
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The Last Blade 2
Neo Bomberman
Sengoku 3
Street Hoop
Super Sidekicks
Viewpoint

This thread has a lot of good stuff spread out so I'll try and keep it collected and update the below summary every so often for easy reference. If I missed anything let me know.

How do I setup a joycon per player?
Go out to the OS and select Controllers from the bottom menu. Select Change Grip/Order. Make sure both joycons are removed from the Switch. Turn one of them sideways and hold both tiny top buttons (SL/SR). If done correctly it should populate the first controller slot. Do the same with the second joycon, the second slot should be populated. Now they are setup as 2 seperate controllers. Go back and launch the game, you are good to go.

I'm new to Neo Geo, what do you recommend?
  • Metal Slug 1
  • Neo Turf Masters
  • Shock Troopers
Recommendations: Fighters
  • King of Fighters '98
  • Samurai Shodown IV
  • Waku Waku 7
(Note: this is a short list I'll try to maintain/enhance as more stuff releases. Definitely dig around, there is totally other good stuff worth checking out.)

Game Guides / Tips

Eolz

Great post above!

Be warned that this version has extremely blurry scaling (if you care about that sort of thing) that you cannot turn off.

Hmm that's a good question! Let me try and explain it.

So first of all both PSP/Vita version and 360 Arcade (it's BC with the One!) have multiplayer and co-op. The DS version did not have it. It was single player only. I guess if you want multiplayer with friends without having to have multiple portables then go for the Arcade version cause of multiple controllers.

Here I got this from the Wiki:

I see, thanks for all the tips!

The Neo Geo games are great, but I'm having a hell of a hard time grasping the controls. Using the R/ZR for start, and switching between dual joycon and single joycon isn't inuitive.

I got Waku Waku 7 and Shock Troopers. Both are definitely fun. Really surprised about how good the animation is in Waku Waku 7. Shock Troopers is a little more 'dump' fun, and the controls have a weird lag to them when moving/aiming that takes getting used to, but ultimately a lot of fun, and fun to have infinite amounts of retries.

Any other recommendations? Is Metal Slug worth it? I know it's hard, but with infinite 'coins' it might be my bag. Love co-op shooter stuff.

Metal Slug is definitely worth it and super fun if you don't care about deaths. If you've never played it, you're gonna have a blast.
That said, might be worth waiting on more Metal Slug releases as well if you think you'll only ever get one.

essenn

Garou was mentioned in the most recent Nintendo direct. Has there been anymore info as far as a release date?

I'm pretty sure they were showing the games by release order in the direct, so it would be

Fatal Fury - yesterday
Over Top - April 27
Blazing Star - May 4
Garou - May 11

grendelrt

KoF 98 is definitely the best overall KoF, but its hilarious how they are all good in some way. One may have a cool mechanic, cooler stages, cool music, different animation, different move sets, different character lineup. Its crazy how much they changed in all those different revisions and they were only a year apart. I bought a couple on MVS and figured I would just get my absolute favorites, but I ended up with all of them haha.

You know, on second thought maybe I shouldn't buy KofF. I remember having a huge crush on Mai when I was younger. Don't know if anything will resurface.

EricB

It is actually very much a slow trickle. Exactly like VC. No rhyme or reason.

Very sad at the lack of NAM-1975 love. Such an underrated title.

Uhh...I've been playing NAM-1975 on Switch for a few weeks now.
Also, one new game a week is not what I'd call a slow trickle for Neo Geo games. Gives us all a week to actually play each game.

Checking in with lots of love for Cabal/Crosshair shooters. I think the free/lock shooting in Shock Troopers is just a little more approachable. If you want to declare your love of NAM-1975 I'm sure people would be interested in reading. Especially if aimed at folks who maybe haven't even played something like Wild Guns or S&P.

KoF 98 is definitely the best overall KoF, but its hilarious how they are all good in some way. One may have a cool mechanic, cooler stages, cool music, different animation, different move sets, different character lineup. Its crazy how much they changed in all those different revisions and they were only a year apart. I bought a couple on MVS and figured I would just get my absolute favorites, but I ended up with all of them haha.

98 is the best for sure but I have a huge soft spot for the polished and sleek look of 99 and 2000. Arguably one of the nicest looking Neo Geo games.

I also love how absolutely broken and crazy 95 is. Kyo infinites for days lmao.

2002 has its fans too. Hell I'm pretty sure it's the KOF game with the biggest active playerbase on Fightcade. I don't like the visual and audio downgrade the series went to when the IP was given to that Korean developer.

TL;DR KoF is a great series that has a ton of entries that can be your fave.

sheaaaa

There seems to be no discernible pattern to the releases but I think the volume has been okay. There's a pretty sizeable collection up already.

Yes Boss!

There seems to be no discernible pattern to the releases but I think the volume has been okay. There's a pretty sizeable collection up already.

Yeah. I dig the randomness. Because on previous services the NG titles always started in chronological order. But, they are metered out exactly like VC. ACA has really slowed on PS4...still many titles in Japan that have not been released outside of that country yet.

AmyS

How do I setup a joycon per player?
Go out to the OS and select Controllers from the bottom menu. Select Change Grip/Order. Make sure both joycons are removed from the Switch. Turn one of them sideways and hold both tiny top buttons (SL/SR). If done correctly it should populate the first controller slot. Do the same with the second joycon, the second slot should be populated. Now they are setup as 2 seperate controllers. Go back and launch the game, you are good to go.

This is what I needed to know!

Now I can play Samurai Shodown IV and Alpha Mission II with my brother with just the JoyCons.

Thank you SmiteOfHand!

We need Last Resort on Switch. Here's some 90s magazine coverage of that game.

up2oryf.jpg
jMCsXby.jpg
sRKdtxO.jpg

Here's some Neo Geo & NAM-1975 love -- These sets of articles were the ones that got me interesting in Neo Geo in the first place.

Edit: More.

Fiendcode

IF they're going to do a Power Instinct game, let it be the GOOD one and make it Matrimelee.
I'd love Matrimelee but Power Instinct means Atlus, Atlus means Sega, and Sega probably means no. They're one of the 3 big legacy arcade publishers (along with Namco and Capcom) remaining that so far haven't signed on with Hamster.

On the other hand Taito, Konami (Hudson), Gmode (Data East) and ASW (Technos) are all already working with Hamster on ACA so I feel like we have a good shot at seeing some of their Neo games too eventually. I also believe Hamster acquired rights to Video System's properties at some point so Aerofighters 2-3 might happen too. The only prolific Neogeo dev I'm unsure about is Visco, but they seem to still be around in some capacity so maybe Hamster will license their stuff too.

Memory

One a week is perfect, two means that the buyer is faced with a choice which often leads to no purchase at all.

The low price of each game also means the buyer is more likely to pick one up in addition to other new big releases.

Just finished my first playthrough of Metal Slug. Not really feeling it as much as Shock Troopers on the first go, but obviously I'm gonna keep playing. Seems like overall it's just a bit more frustrating.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
n00b question but do these neo-geo games have online play?

pulsemyne

Just looking at those magazine scans makes you realise one thing, the EGM "crew" were morons. Their review of the gameboy is laughable, especially bemoaning the design of it...one that would go on to become iconic.

Speaking of NAM-1975, anyone have preferred button configs for any games? I find for NAM flipping Neo Geo buttons B/C (Switch: B/X) feels way better for the diamond layout. Makes the action flow as such:

Switch (Neo Geo)
Y (A) - Primary thumb position. Can tap or hold as needed.
B (C) - Can dodge/run while still shooting. Think run/jump action in a platformer.
X (B) - Roll thumb over to grenade. Shoulder trigger might be a good option, as well, so you never have to leave the Y button.

We need Last Resort on Switch. Here's some 90s magazine coverage of that game.

Here's some Neo Geo & NAM-1975 love -- These sets of articles were the ones that got me interesting in Neo Geo in the first place.

Edit: More.

Thanks for sharing!

Fiendcode

Did Hamster ever officially say anything about their other Arcade Archives games(Gradius, etc)making their way to Switch?
In the initial rollout Hamster said they also planned to bring the regular Arcade Archives line to Switch but they were leading with ACA NeoGeo for launch. This is sort of reflected on the official site where the Switch page carries the general Arcade Archives branding across the top like the PS4 page, where as the Xbox One page instead uses only the ACA NeoGeo branding.

Eliseo

Just looking at those magazine scans makes you realise one thing, the EGM "crew" were morons. Their review of the gameboy is laughable, especially bemoaning the design of it...one that would go on to become iconic.

I love the "conceived as a joke on the intelligence of mankind"

GDGF

Soothsayer
I remember digging Fatal Fury Special on the SNES. Was that a Neo Geo game or just a Takara thing for Nintendo?

If it's the former I hope Switch gets that too.

Fiendcode

I remember digging Fatal Fury Special on the SNES. Was that a Neo Geo game or just a Takara thing for Nintendo?

If it's the former I hope Switch gets that too.
It was the third game in the series, all are on Neo.

Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout
Real Bout 2
Real Bout Special
Garou

It was the third game in the series, all are on Neo.

Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout
Real Bout 2
Real Bout Special
Garou

Real Bout Special was actually before Real Bout 2.

But yea, SNK blew their load with both Real Bout 2 and Garou, some of the finest video games out there.

To be fair, the gameboy was a not the best piece of portable hardware even at its time. And it took a while for its library to be really good too.

Beat MS1 again using 24 continues this time.

Goddamnit, so many bullets. They come from the left, the right, top and bottom, and I'm jumping I'm trying to dodge these missles like TJ Mackey.

SOnbbJH.gif

sleepnaught

Which of the Metal Slug and fighting Neo Geo games do you guys recommend the most? Feeling bored of my Switch and need something "new" to play.

Top Bottom