• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Coda

This is very true and how I've justified buying a few them. It's also just hard when I've bought collections with these games in them for like $20 or some of them on my Nvidia Shield for like $2

Yeah I've already bought about 4-5 of them as well. Hoping for some other classic console ports, maybe games from the Sega Saturn or other arcade hardware.

Timu

In terms of 1CCing from easiest to hardest.

1. Fighting games-These games are pretty much designed for 1CC. Whenever you lose a round or none, they are designed with it in mind as sometimes you can only get credits by doing a 1CC. Relying on skill and other kinds of tactics to win, it's almost always possible to 1CC a fighting game. Note that many are between 20-30 minutes with many even under 20 minutes as well.

2. Shoot em ups-This is a hardcore genre, but one that mainly focuses on memorization more than anything. There's lots of skill involved, but they are also designed to be 1CC as once you memorized pretty much everything and have good reflexes you can 1CC them. They tend to have extra lives, sometimes an overpowered weapon that can get you through the game faster, and are pretty much always built for 1CC. These games tend to be 20-30 minutes as well so that makes it better.

3. Beat em ups-For some reason I have the most trouble with this genre. I have 1CC beat em ups, but a lot of them are tough. This is due to them being designed to take away quarters more than anything else. I mean, a lot can be 1CC, but usually you have to do crowd control and rely on insane tactics to get anywhere. It doesn't help that various ones don't have extra lives, they often start you with 2 lives or even 1 life for some odd reason(should be 3) and have annoying enemies and bosses they tend to be cheap or pretty powerful to drain your health in a few hits. This genre to me is one of the most frustrating ones due to the fact that pretty much everything has to go your way in order to 1CC them, though it's fun to do still at least. It also doesn't help that they are usually between 40 minutes to over an hour long, and even 1 hour and 30 minutes at times.

Many Neo Geo games are fighting games, so 1CC is doable for practically all of them.

Also when it comes to putting in continues, only rely on single digit numbers, double digits is pretty much credit feeding at that point.=p

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is Blazing Star recommended for shmup fans?

AmyS

EzxkJXQ.jpg
nqgWH5w.jpg

mVEg4Jq.jpg

zFkwA3u.jpg

fpZ5JtX.jpg

11jfxT0.jpg

Eolz

How's the quality on Garou? I thought I saw some mention of removed graphical effects or slowdown or something.

There's an emulation bug on the third part of Terry's stage. Didn't notice any issue graphically otherwise.
Same slowdowns as the arcade version. Didn't notice input lag from what I've played, but I don't think anybody has really tested it yet, unlike the PS4 version being worse than the 360 one for example.

sibarraz

Banned
There's an emulation bug on the third part of Terry's stage. Didn't notice any issue graphically otherwise.
Same slowdowns as the arcade version. Didn't notice input lag from what I've played, but I don't think anybody has really tested it yet, unlike the PS4 version being worse than the 360 one for example.

Is there proof that the ps4 version is worse than the 360 one? a friend told me that it was the same

chronomac

Is it plausible that there is some news about the neo geo games during the direct dedicated to arms?

Not really. They might have a montage of upcoming games and it might have a few seconds of footage that people here would be able to parse through...but I seriously doubt it.

Question!

Why oh why sometimes in neo turf masters the game picks for me a 240 and if I decide I want a 260 then my high- nice - low bar gets reduced to a hairline making it super difficult to use it? Where's the logic in that?

AmyS

While not Neo Geo games, these two 1993 Irem arcade releases would have seemed right at home (and in the arcades) on the Neo Geo hardware with their advanced 16-bit graphics. In one case, very colorful visuals, and in the other, highly detailed, well animated, Metal Slug esque graphics.

I'd love to see them on Switch.

Feeroper

I'd love a recommendation.

I'm not too experienced with the new geo library or SNK fighters. I am interested in:

Garou
KoF '98
Metal Slug

The thing I can't decide is whether to go for the Switch versions or PS4 for some of these. For instance I know KoF 98 isn't on PS4 yet but older entries are, and the PS4 version of Garou is different with online play, but supposedly the 360 version is best?

Do the Switch versions generally play the same as the PS4 versions of these games? I'd like to have the portability of the Switch, but not if there are any fatal flaws on it vs PS4.

Is Garou best for PS4 , 360 (BC on XB1), or Switch? - are there any content differences on the pricier PS4 version?

What's the best Metal Slug to get, 1 or 3? What platform? Does it matter?

Is KoF worth getting if I am getting Garou? Is Garou the better game?

I know this post is all over the place but I feel like my brain is being scrambled sorting through all of this before plunking down my money. Thanks in advance.

Metal Slug 1 is, was, and always will be the best Metal Slug.

Metal Slug 3 is very, very hard, especially if you haven't played the others. There's also a twist that has more impact if you've played the first two.

If you are really interested in Garou:MOW, I would recommend going with the PS4 version in all honesty. It is a full fledged port with online modes and other extras such as an art gallery.

Getting it on switch for the portability is still a great option, but the price difference isn't that much and the PS4 version just has more content.

Just my two cents.

EricB

If you are really interested in Garou:MOW, I would recommend going with the PS4 version in all honesty. It is a full fledged port with online modes and other extras such as an art gallery.

Getting it on switch for the portability is still a great option, but the price difference isn't that much and the PS4 version just has more content.

Just my two cents.

Two considerations here:

1. If you buy it on PS4, you also get the Vita version, so you will still have a portable option.

2. The PS4 version supposedly has more input lag than other versions (though the Vita version is reportedly fine). Some say that it was improved with a patch, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

While not Neo Geo games, these two 1993 Irem arcade releases would have seemed right at home (and in the arcades) on the Neo Geo hardware with their advanced 16-bit graphics. In one case, very colorful visuals, and in the other, highly detailed, well animated, Metal Slug esque graphics.

I'd love to see them on Switch.

In the Hunt is one of the best arcade games of all time, period. The feeling of power and destruction is in some ways still unrivaled, and was simply astonishing at the times back then.

If I'm not wrong, Metal Slug team was substantially the people that made In the Hunt.

Danneee

In the Hunt is one of the best arcade games of all time, period. The feeling of power and destruction is in some ways still unrivaled, and was simply astonishing at the times back then.

If I'm not wrong, Metal Slug team was substantially the people that made In the Hunt.

Everything in this post is true. Looove In the Hunt, even if it kind of falls apart towards the end.

In the Hunt is good, but there's some pretty sketchy design here and there. That one gimmick level where you're in shallow water comes to mind, and the final boss is kind of underwhelming and I'm pretty sure is impossible to beat within the time limit.

Still a great game though. I really love the statue boss.

AmyS

Without a doubt. The Saturn port is really good, too.

Yep, that's true from everything I've read.

Top Bottom