• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

I'm playing MS3 on my tv and it's incredibly washed out. Its also not crisp, which I expected, but man. This doesn't look good. Will try in portable mode.

EDIT: You actually have to change screen filter from '00' to 'off'. How silly. Now it's crisp, but still seems washed out.

Yeah it's definitely more washed out than other versions I've played. It's pretty ace besides that though.

Neff

How do they compare to the Wii Virtual Console release? I've always heard they were really well done and own quote a few on my Wii U.

The Wii Neo Geo VC games were much better. In fact most ports of Neo Geo games are better.

Here's how KOF'98 normally looks

6pXugF.jpg

And here's the Switch version (note that when I took this shot I didn't notice the option to widen the display, although I have no idea why the option to crop it is even there, or why it's enabled by default)

As you can see, the colours are desaturated and oddly scaled, and the gamma levels aren't correct, although the contrast does look much better on a TV. There's also a weird delay on the sound effects for some reason (you can really notice it on the character select screen when you move your icon).

It's still KOF'98 and it still plays amazingly. In fact, I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the Joy-Con sticks work incredibly well for fighting game inputs. I know it sounds bizarre, but it's true. I was shocked, honestly.

But yeah, KOF'98 deserves better than this. Hopefully Hamster's future ports are as good as their PS4 ones.

That would be due to Hamster saying they wanted their Switch games to be I believe 200MB as opposed to the PS4 version's 400MB IIRC. So they likely had to make cuts somewhere. But WHY though? If they are 400MB on PS4, that's hardly a bad thing.

The KOF'98 rom is only 80mb when decompressed, so it shouldn't be an issue. I have no idea why the lyrics are missing, unless there's some weird copyright issue to blame.

Memory

Hmmmm seems Waku Waku 7 is the arcade version so you can't select the boss characters when doing VS. Anyone know how to play as them, am I missing something?

ohNOitsRO

Fuck you Nintendo release everything at fucking once..

"NAH, Let's trickle out these fucking old ass games AGAIN for the 4th fucking time"

Neff

everything is Nintendo's fault!!! especially when it isn't!

Not only that but 'Nintendo' went and released some of the best iterations in their fighting game franchises first instead of starting with the legacy titles like they usually do when it comes to Neo Geo ports.

Nintendo!!

I saw some footage of Waku and I have to agree. The colors looked really washed out/dull and the sound effects were delayed. I wonder if they'll patch the games back to the full, uncompressed size if there's enough outcry.

Jinroh

They really need to fix these games, I don't understand why they are so washed out. Also, why only the arcade versions?? A game like kof98 had many good console ports...

They really need to fix these games, I don't understand why they are so washed out. Also, why only the arcade versions?? A game like kof98 had many good console ports...

Agreed with all fronts.

I own two copies of KoF 98 Ultimate Match (one on my JP PS2, and another one on PC). There aren't many reasons to play the arcade original (which is still given as an option under "Neo Geo Mode")....

I got Metal Slug 3 last night and am really enjoying it on my Switch but yeah, the colors are too washed out. Think I'm going to hold off on getting more of these unless Hamster fixes this in an update. Really dumb that they thought they were required to make the files much smaller when people can just easily expand with a decent sized SD card.

I saw some footage of Waku and I have to agree. The colors looked really washed out/dull and the sound effects were delayed. I wonder if they'll patch the games back to the full, uncompressed size if there's enough outcry.

That really stuck out at me when the guys played it on the Giant Bomb stream. Looked super washed out and faded.

And here's the Switch version (note that when I took this shot I didn't notice the option to widen the display, although I have no idea why the option to crop it is even there, or why it's enabled by default

Neogeo games have a horizontal resolution of 320 pixels but quite a lot of games only display the middle 308 pixels. The rest would have been hidden by the crt televisions overscan. A crt television is also not a fixed resolution display like the switch lcd screen, so either horizontal mode used would still look like a perfect 4:3 aspect ratio.

An example of this is Metal Slug, on the picture below you can see that on the bottom left and right of the black border are a couple of squares of graphics. As Metal Slug only displays 308 pixels out of the 320 available you would never see this unless you are using an emulator which shows the extra pixels.

Metal%20Slug%20-%20Super%20Vehicle-001-2.png

So it look likes they should have enabled the full horizontal resolution as default but have instead cropped it to the center 308 pixels.

-Mikey-

I'm sure that's just an option in the settings. That's how MS3 looked when I booted it up, but I went into settings and got a brighter, cleaner picture.

Ninja Dom

That would be due to Hamster saying they wanted their Switch games to be I believe 200MB as opposed to the PS4 version's 400MB IIRC. So they likely had to make cuts somewhere. But WHY though? If they are 400MB on PS4, that's hardly a bad thing.

Edit: Oh, actually they were 600MB on other systems:

http://nintendoeverything.com/hamster-on-bringing-arcade-archives-to-switch-more-games-planned/

I mean those would add up pretty fast on a 32GB sized memory. But... SD Cards exist, why worry then?

Why are Hamster concerned about the file size of the games?

I'm sure that's just an option in the settings. That's how MS3 looked when I booted it up, but I went into settings and got a brighter, cleaner picture.

Yeah, just did this: Options, Display Settings, Screen Filter - OFF. Colors might not be as bright as they could be (could be just due to Metal Slug's grittier art style) but picture and sprites are all very crisp now, looks sooooo much nicer.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yeah, just did this: Options, Display Settings, Screen Filter - OFF. Colors might not be as bright as they could be (could be just due to Metal Slug's grittier art style) but picture and sprites are all very crisp now, looks sooooo much nicer.
I posted this fix earlier, but the washed out colors still remain and are not fixable.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
World Heroes is the worst of these-- the colors and picture are so faded that blacks are grey.

Jinroh

Well if they keep releasing washed out arcade only ports I will save a lot of money. How can they mess up so badly, seriously. I feel like I wasted 10 bucks on kof98.

It also pains me to see these games being released individually. Ten years ago I bought kof and Metal Slug collection on PSP, the price value was insane for the amount of games featured.

El Sabroso

colors are super weird in these releases, have you guys tried to change console's RGB color setting ? there is Full and Limited support on the console settings

tolkir

colors are super weird in these releases, have you guys tried to change console's RGB color setting ? there is Full and Limited support on the console settings

Those are TV Settings. Switch screen doesn't have that feature.
And yes, I tried.

Memory

El Sabroso

Those are TV Settings. Switch screen doesn't have that feature.
And yes, I tried.

oh thanks to clarify, my Switch has not arrived yet to test this

Sucks to hear the colours are washed out for these games, especially when the colours in the eShop screenshots are bright.

Promotional shots of Waku Waku 7 vs screenshot posted on Twitter

Even the video they posted for it has strong colours.

weird, i am seeing the gallery for KOF 98 too and is not washed out on the page, there must be some setting missing there in that game and Metal Slug

Neff

weird, i am seeing the gallery for KOF 98 too and is not washed out on the page, there must be some setting missing there in that game and Metal Slug

Yeah, the screenshots on the eShop have the correct colours and contrast. It's extremely misleading.

Hamster just got their tech docs mixed up and thought they were developing for GBA. Easy mistake.

I hope it is patched.

Hamster, how hard is it to get something so simple right? As nice as it is to have have games like these on the Switch (great for co-op / vs play) I'm really not all that impressed with these ports. I bought KOF 98, Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3.

-Across all three games the colors seem off. Too bright or like the gamma is too high? I'm so used to these games so I can definitely tell they look off both on TV and on the gamepad.

-Metal Slug's rapid fire is a piece of shit. It's so bad that you can't even pick a character at the character select screen without pressing the A button multiple times (Y button on Switch) It makes it to where occasionally you can't shoot leading to endless deaths....as if the game isn't already hard enough. Fix that PLEASE.

-I also noticed that I went to play today on the American version where I had previously saved blood settings to "yes". For some reason the game is using grey blood even with the option toggled. I had to reset the game from the menu (in game) to get it to work.

-Also, why not include console options? I get that this is Arcade Archives, but it's on the ROM. Practice mode in KOF 98 would be lovely.

If Hori is going and making arcade sticks for these games I hope they've gotten in touch with Hamster to let them know that they need to patch these bad ports. It's really too bad because I was willing to buy one almost every single week. This really makes you miss M2.

Unrelated to the ports, but my love affair with the Pro Controller for classic games is over with that d-pad. It's not great as sometimes right registers as up or down and it's too stiff.

cireza

Banned
It always feels like those companies publishing games and emulators are working as hard as they can to fuck things up.

Never going to buy games with this kind of awful colors. I also discussed those games with someone (Xbox One version) and the way the ratio works makes it impossible to have an exact x4 times the native resolution, leading to a necessarily blurry picture. And of course, bad scanlines.

Very disappointing if you ask me.

Normaly, displaying those games in 1080p on TV would allow for x4 native resolution and a pretty great scanline filter. But no, you won't have this. Of course on Switch, in portable mode, you only have 720p, so you can't have the same elaborated scanlines filter.

I created this some time ago. Of course, this is my personal point of view of what good scanlines are :

Memory

Waku Waku 7 is not washed out for me, either is Shock troopers or Perfect Heroes. I don't have MS3 or KOF so I can't comment. I'll compare with what you posted when I get in from work and report back to confirm.

Okay i Just ran some tests, the game does seem to have a slight washout effect to them upon comparison. I would not have even notice if not for OP pointing it out. However the twitter app seems to be making them look darker and more washed out. I posted some images to one of my cats Twitter (don't ask) via the app but they are significantly darker than they are on my screen. Took some off screens to compare.

Hopefully someone will find this useful, i know this is a deal breaker for some people. all images are taken with no filter and no scanlines.

Via App

Off Screen Pics

Quick question. So I have to create a separate account to access these if Im in NA, right? After I purchase them, will the games then show up in my primary account, or will I have to be logged in as a separate user to access them? How does payment work?

Peltz

Neogeo games have a horizontal resolution of 320 pixels but quite a lot of games only display the middle 308 pixels. The rest would have been hidden by the crt televisions overscan. A crt television is also not a fixed resolution display like the switch lcd screen, so either horizontal mode used would still look like a perfect 4:3 aspect ratio.

An example of this is Metal Slug, on the picture below you can see that on the bottom left and right of the black border are a couple of squares of graphics. As Metal Slug only displays 308 pixels out of the 320 available you would never see this unless you are using an emulator which shows the extra pixels.

Metal%20Slug%20-%20Super%20Vehicle-001-2.png

So it look likes they should have enabled the full horizontal resolution as default but have instead cropped it to the center 308 pixels.

Yep this is correct. When I hook up Neo Geo hardware to my PVM and underscan Metal Slug, this is what it looks like. This cropping or aspect ratio was there on the original hardware but you can't see it on most CRTs unless they have an underscan option.

It always feels like those companies publishing games and emulators are working as hard as they can to fuck things up.

Never going to buy games with this kind of awful colors. I also discussed those games with someone (Xbox One version) and the way the ratio works makes it impossible to have an exact x4 times the native resolution, leading to a necessarily blurry picture. And of course, bad scanlines.

Very disappointing if you ask me.

Normaly, displaying those games in 1080p on TV would allow for x4 native resolution and a pretty great scanline filter. But no, you won't have this. Of course on Switch, in portable mode, you only have 720p, so you can't have the same elaborated scanlines filter.

I created this some time ago. Of course, this is my personal point of view of what good scanlines are :
Erm... 720p is better than 1080p for getting even scanlines.

Top Bottom