• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

MarkusRJR

damn man, that's some shit service...good to know not to count on these guys to back their product.

what exactly doesn't work, just doesn't boot at all, or?
The stick on the handheld. I have to move it as far as it can go to the right register an input (even then it only registers like 70% of the time), while the left is the exact opposite and is super sensitive. Up and down are fine though.

Apparently it's a common problem, just not as pronounced as my unit.

Bog

Junior Ace
The NGX may not actually be all that legal. Hackers found unauthorized copies of Final Burn Alpha and the PSX (!) BIOS in the NGX's OS volume.

Then it should obviously be removed from store shelves, right?

And no, "hackers" finding something in the X doesn't suddenly make downloading roms for your GCW legal, no matter how hard you want to justify it.

MarkusRJR

And no, "hackers" finding something in the X doesn't suddenly make downloading roms for your GCW legal, no matter how hard you want to justify it.
Who says people are downloading ROMS? There are lots of ways to get ROMS off of carts that you own. I believe that's legal, no?

IrishNinja

Yeah, I would not know how to change things on the firmware. And I don't even have a PC. So I won't be able to give impressions.

I'm kinda still waiting for the official update to see if they improve it.

ah, i was just asking if hooking it up to an XRGB produced results as dramatic as the pics for that fix!

Yes Boss!

ah, i was just asking if hooking it up to an XRGB produced results as dramatic as the pics for that fix!

Oh, yeah, I got it looking way, way better than that with the Mini. Here are some images I took a few months ago after tweaking (still, tearing issues, though). Sorry for the instagram link but that is the only place I have photos:

Stock through the Mini. Out of the box the image is bleedy and way-oversaturated:

http://instagram.com/p/TenyC8rJCg/

After my color correcting and tweaking:

http://instagram.com/p/TfBE8aLJOo/

By comparison, Nam-1975 on VC via component and fed through the Mini:

http://instagram.com/p/WIIQQLLJLK/

http://instagram.com/p/WIC7KMLJC6/

IrishNinja

wow...yeah, that looks way better than what i've seen! still kicking myself for missing it at $100.

i totally gotta read up on configuring this XRGB mini, i know it can do more than what ive sorted out so far.

Yes Boss!

wow...yeah, that looks way better than what i've seen! still kicking myself for missing it at $100.

i totally gotta read up on configuring this XRGB mini, i know it can do more than what ive sorted out so far.

It is a beast. I've had mine for over a year and have not even scratched the surface. Mainly been using it for VC and Saturn. Use Fudoh's wiki guide. Settings for different systems are very complex. But once your get them it is sublime.

DoubleTap

Their official page posted on Facebook about an announcement this week. So far nothing. The only thing worse than an announcement of an announcement is announcing nothing. There's still tomorrow so we'll see.

My NGX has been archived in the meantime. BTW, the handheld is really piss poor at holding a charge even when turned off.

Lhadatt

I'm not addressing piracy. I'm saying it can run the same damn Neo emulator that the NGX is running [without authorization], and on almost the same hardware. If a team of volunteers can do it with open source code, why wasn't Tommo able to with paid programmers? Why are they being coy about the update details?

And yes, it should be removed from stores. I don't think Sony is aware of the issue. The Final Burn author(s) seem to be aware, but haven't or can't take much action.

Further, you need to stop attacking. If my talk of emulation is a problem, I'm sure the mods will take care of it.

IrishNinja

wait...this thing's official, is it not? why would the emulator be unauthorized?

*edit oh right, i'm guessing you meant the emu's authors

IrishNinja

by the way, same offer i made in the buy/sell thread for those disappointed in their purchase: i'll buy your neo geo x gold (complete, ideally with the ninja game!) for $100, might have about $25 in amazon money soon to work into it as well, lemme know!

Lhadatt

wait...this thing's official, is it not? why would the emulator be unauthorized?

*edit oh right, i'm guessing you meant the emu's authors
Right. SNK Playmore authorized the branding and the ROMs, but Tommo did most of the work. They used a MIPS Linux (OpenDingux I think) and Final Burn Alpha for emulation. Using Linux is fine, but FBA's license prohibits certain usage scenarios without consent from the authors. I believe that commercial use of the emulator is the problem here. On top of that, its configured badly, which means there's sound lag and screen tearing in the graphics. The handheld is locked down pretty tightly, so it's difficult to hack it to fix the emulator issues.

Takao

Banned
Their official page posted on Facebook about an announcement this week. So far nothing. The only thing worse than an announcement of an announcement is announcing nothing. There's still tomorrow so we'll see.

My NGX has been archived in the meantime. BTW, the handheld is really piss poor at holding a charge even when turned off.

8CsxDcn.jpg

"Hello Everyone!

I will be honest here. To the best of my knowledge, we were sure last week that we'd be to make the announcement this week. However, as many of you know, in this business things sometimes take longer than usual at times you least expect it. We promise not to make any announcements like that unless we're sure we'll be able to show you something.

While I can't show you the full image from our upcoming announcement, here is a little glimpse"

MarkusRJR

8CsxDcn.jpg

"Hello Everyone!

I will be honest here. To the best of my knowledge, we were sure last week that we'd be to make the announcement this week. However, as many of you know, in this business things sometimes take longer than usual at times you least expect it. We promise not to make any announcements like that unless we're sure we'll be able to show you something.

While I can't show you the full image from our upcoming announcement, here is a little glimpse"
lol this is getting really funny.

DoubleTap

So it looks like a case that will hold all the cards they're releasing, and it's going to be sold separately most probably.

Wooptee-freaking-do.

DoubleTap

It looks like this description was added to the Amazon listing with the Vol.1 gamecard. Haven't noticed this before:

"Game card comes with firmware update that includes game save functionality, improved tv apect ratio compatibility, improved sound quality and more"

Yes Boss!

It looks like this description was added to the Amazon listing with the Vol.1 gamecard. Haven't noticed this before:

"Game card comes with firmware update that includes game save functionality, improved tv apect ratio compatibility, improved sound quality and more"

I don't know if I even have the stomach to buy even one card. Hopefully the "and more" means a screen-tearing fix.

IrishNinja

thinkin bout volume 4, Mark of the Wolves & World Heroes 2 are cool but like Mark from Classic Game Room said, Shock Troopers i the real gem.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I hope I can find it cheaper soon, I really want one.

Amazon is selling one in like-new condition for $127, with free shipping, it can get cheaper, right?

I certainly hope they release the updated firmware online as well, but with the way this thing has been mismanaged it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

IrishNinja

I hope I can find it cheaper soon, I really want one.

Amazon is selling one in like-new condition for $127, with free shipping, it can get cheaper, right?

yeah, i bit at that price (thanks again sabanoo!), sad i missed $100 but all the ebay ones are $140+, many of which are used. it'll prolly get cheaper again at some point though.

I certainly hope they release the updated firmware online as well, but with the way this thing has been mismanaged it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

i wanna say their FB page said as much? i'm assuming that's the case

Veal

What are the chances we'll get stuff like Waku Waku 7, Double Dragon/Rage of the Dragons, Matrimelee, and Twinkle Star Sprites? If they could get those games out there I'm sure it go a long way to making the system worth it to a lot of people. Hell, I'd pay for those games separately (as long as they had a nice box.)

Veal

I don't really think there are any controller problems. Sticks and thumbstick and buttons on the handheld are fine. It is mainly the crappy video presentation.

Yeah the video and audio are dreadful at times. I'd be happy if they at least enabled v synch or something.

IrishNinja

got my unit in yesterday...i can see the complaints about the build quality (battery life/lack of saves too) but upscaling over XRGB mini makes the video way better, and i'm not noticing the lag too much either...a bit at one point in Magician Lord but it's good by me for the most part.

now that the game cards are only a few weeks off, just waiting on firmware/save card details.

DoubleTap

From their Facebook page:

294959_348253755298028_48759669_n.jpg

Tommo Sets Release Date for NEOGEO X Classics: Volumes I-V, Announces NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I

Tommo Inc., in partnership with SNK PLAYMORE, today announced a list of new features, fixes, and a release date for NEOGEO X Classics: Volumes I-V, and the NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I, made exclusively for use with the NEOGEO X Handheld entertainment system.

Set to release on set to release on June 25, 2013 across North America, the NEOGEO X Classics series will contain 3 pedigree titles from the NEOGEO library of games, for a total of 15 new titles across all Volumes. And for fans who want it all, Tommo has introduced the NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I. Containing ALL 15 titles from the NEOGEO Classics: Volumes I-V on one game card, and coming packed in a hard, "clam shell" collector case, packed with bonus items for fans and collectors alike, the NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I is the perfect way for fans to build their NEOGEO X game library! As an added bonus, Tommo will also be including the ROCKET CABLE, High-speed Charging Travel Cable, at no additional cost, with the Classics: Volumes I-V and Mega Pack: Volume I.

Full listing of titles that will be contained on NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I-V, and NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I:
Vol I: SENGOKU, METAL SLUG 2, TOP HUNTER: RODDY AND CATHY
Vol II: SAMURAI SHODOWN 3, SAVAGE REIGN, SUPER SIDEKICKS 3
Vol III: THE KING OF FIGHTERS '96, BLAZING STAR, KIZUNA ENCOUNTER
Vol IV: GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES, SHOCK TROOPERS, WORLD HEROES 2 JET
Vol V: THE LAST BLADE, BLUE'S JOURNEY, ART OF FIGHTING 3
NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I: All 15 Titles included!

As part of Tommo's continued support and development of the NEOGEO X, Tommo will also be including NEOGEO X System Update 1.0 with each copy of NEOGEO X Classics: Volumes I-V, and NEOGEO X Mega Pack: Volume I. The hefty system update will apply fixes to audio, control inputs, video enhancements and more! One of the many new features included in NEOGEO X System Update 1.0 is the ability to save game data for existing and upcoming games. For full list of the items included with the NEOGEO X System Update 1.0 please visit:
www.NEOGEOX.com/FAQ.

NEOGEO X Classics: Volumes I-V are now available for pre-order in the United States from amazon.com, gamestop.com, and bestsku.com. Pre-orders for Canada will be opening soon through EB Canada, Future Shop, and Best Buy, with more online retailers for all regions on the way. Please visit www.NEOGEOX.com for the latest info.

EDIT: From the bolded - it sounds like another delay - FFS.

IrishNinja

FUUUUUUUUU

might need the mega pack in my life; if 1-5 are $25 each at amazon, how much is this thing? also that update sounds awesome

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For quick glancers:

• Each Volume Seperately: $24.99 (so $100 $125 for all seperately)
  • Mega Pack Volume 1: $79.99

I wonder what "collectable goodies" the Mega Volume has....

With 2 Joysticks + A friend, I've had a good amount of fun with this system. No hate at all really, as I'd easily spend just as much (if not more) buying the thing on other systems which I'd have to buy sticks and such for anyway...

I really hope this Firmware update is all we've hoped for it to be!

Yes Boss!

I'm thinking collectable goodies probably refers to an AES-style manual and possibly reproductions of the translight cards that you would slot onto the top of the arcade cabinet, but in postcard format.

DoubleTap

Amazon pre order link.

Edit: I'm really torn. I'm taking an $80 gamble that the update will fix the major issues. I really don't want to spend anymore on this thing and I could just get one volume to find out. But if the update does fix everything, I'm going to want all of them. The $45 discount to get all 5 is tempting.

DoubleTap

Preordered. At the very least to have something to actually go on my game collection shelf that represents the sysytem.

Sigh. I did too. Might as well go all in. $5 and change for each game can't be that bad.

EDIT: The updates are supposed to be being "leaked" on youtube. Here's one that saves the aspect ratio. The other one adds "turbo" which speeds up the gameplay - useless.

IrishNinja

aw mannnnn

the thing is, i gotta wait till i spend some $ on this discover card; the reward money is currency on amazon, and that thing...dammit

honestly, how much software support do we imagine past this thing? i'm wondering if this is all we get.

Yes Boss!

EDIT: The updates are supposed to be being "leaked" on youtube. Here's one that saves the aspect ratio. The other one adds "turbo" which speeds up the gameplay - useless.

I just want them to get a handle on the screen tearing. I've gotten the image decent enough. Save in game is rather insignificant...though I would like high scores.

I don't have a lot of confidence in them tough.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Mega Pack Volume 1? So there's going to be more games after this?

If I wait too much longer, then I'm probably going to miss out on Ninja Masters, and I really want to check that one out. I hope they put it in a future pack.

PopfulMail

Went ahead and preordered as well. I know people have their issues with the system n all... but shit.. I'm just glad they are doing something to support the thing. The savings over buying the individual packs is a no brainer... and hopefully there'll be a little something extra included as well.

DoubleTap

I just want them to get a handle on the screen tearing. I've gotten the image decent enough. Save in game is rather insignificant...though I would like high scores.

I don't have a lot of confidence in them tough.

I don't either. I'll keep my expectations low. That video still shows the tearing is present with the minigun blazing. I saw somewhere that they fixed the overscan and change the aspect on the TV as well.

At least they're still supporting it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, is the limited edition with Ninja Master's (god I love that punctuation error) still available? I was looking at Gamestop, but someone said it doesn't have the NM card anymore. I really wanted to try that game.

mosaic

go eat paint
So, is the limited edition with Ninja Master's (god I love that punctuation error) still available? I was looking at Gamestop, but someone said it doesn't have the NM card anymore. I really wanted to try that game.

Still out there. Not sure if they're making them, but Amazon, Best Buy, etc. still sell them.

stewy

The new game packs are supposed to be out today. I don't see any listings on any of the major retailer sites, though.

Top Bottom