• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2010 (Voting Ends January 6th)

John

1. The Misadventures Of P.B. Winterbottom

can't say i played any other game from this year that really tickled my soundtrack nerve like this one. very charming and original hodge-podge of separate, but gloriously compacted elements.

i really wish more developers, even indie developers, where the game-art-freedom thing is supposed to happen, encouraged this kind of thing.

SleazyC

1.) Nier
2.) Castlevania Lord of Shadows
3.) Red Dead Redemption

Elaboration

Nier: What can I say about this that hasn't already been said in this thread or on GAF before. Taken as a whole this soundtrack was miles ahead of anything that come out this year, wasn't even a competition. The excellent use of vocal tracks was pretty eye opening as they had previously only been used sparsely in many games before. Truly deserves its place in the god tier of soundtracks.

Castlevania Lord of Shadows: Wow. This game really came out of nowhere for me musically. Having not previously been exposed to Oscar Aruejo's work it was breathtaking to hear his orchestrations during the game and even more so once I had finished it and had time to spend listening to the soundtrack proper. The music here is majest on many levels and really invokes the imagery of an epic journey perfectly. Final Confrontation still sends chills down my spine everytime I listen to it.

Red Dead Redemption: The music in Red Dead Redemption was good but seemed to lack the little bit more to put it into the great category. Where it really hit homeruns was tying a powerful song to a given event in the game. Having Far Away play during the journey into Mexico was such an immense moment for me while playing the game that, like Haunted said, it will stick with me as a defining moment in this generation. The same can be said for Compass and Bury Me Not on the Lone Praire, Rockstar had amazing foresight in placing these tracks into such integral parts of their game.

Honorable Mentions

Alan Wake: Pretty good mixture of licensed songs and orchestrated music.

Halo Reach: If not for the slow of high quality soundtracks this year Reach would be in my top 2. Over the past decade Salvatori and O'Donnel have pretty much defined excellence in music across all the Halo games. Reach is another evolution upon their previous excellent soundtracks.

Super Street Fighter IV: This soundtrack strikes a perfect balance between nostalgia and a fresh interpretation.

Nert

soldat7 said:
1) Halo Reach
2) Crackdown 2
3) Red Dead Redemption
4) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5) God of War 3

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, what stood out for you from Crackdown 2's soundtrack? The original Crackdown really took me by surprise with its soundtrack; Lost Relevancy, for example, is one of my favorite songs from this generation. If Crackdown 2's soundtrack has a similar degree of quality and variety, I'll have to check that out.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'm driving home for the holidays tomorrow, it would be awesome if someone could put together a playlist of some of these.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You might as scratch off everything that isn't VVVVVV, as it is far and away the best OST of the year.

I'll make sure to pick my votes tomorrow, but 2 and 3 really are irrelivant int he shadow of VVVVVV.

faridmon

For me:

1- Super Meat Boy
2- Sonic Colours
3- Nier

Honorable Mentions:
1- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
2- Super Mario Galaxy 2
3- Tetsunoku Vs Capcom

GhaleonQ

EatChildren said:
You might as scratch off everything that isn't VVVVVV, as it is far and away the best OST of the year.

I'll make sure to pick my votes tomorrow, but 2 and 3 really are irrelivant int he shadow of VVVVVV.

It convinced me to play the game and I didn't like it. *frown*

Nert

Durante said:
1. Umineko No Naku Koro Ni - Chiru
2. Nier

Nothing else left a lasting impression on me. I'm just not certain regarding the order of those two, I've already switched them out twice while composing this post.

Some Umineko BGM samples:
Final Answer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-HbOF1xvI
Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbqYuTZFDKk
Worldend Dominator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6PYrjEzcQ
Hope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOq7ZNTPVug
ACI-L - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXeclBNp0Q8
dreamenddischarger - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuRRe1moVhY
Justice - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTCklQ-isI

I could go on -- there's such a wealth of great songs to chose from.
I hope that helps achieve the goal of exposing "people to soundtracks for games that they haven’t played, including those from relatively niche titles." :D

While updating the archive today with suggested soundtracks, I was really surprised by this one. Life, in particular, was a great listen. Good find!

Keep the votes and suggestions coming, everyone.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EatChildren said:

I agree, but the unfortunate side effect of the VVVVVV soundtrack is that the songs will not leave your head once you stop playing it.

It won't stop. 8 |

Insured

1. VVVVVV
2. Super Meat Boy
3. The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

Ridiculously hard to decide between VVVVVV and Super Meat boy. Going with this based on which ones have been more stuck in my head :lol

Nert

I've updated the archive with links for Bayonetta, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Disgaea Infinite, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes Of Light, God of War III, and Xenoblade. More to come soon.

Durante said:
Wow, I'm impressed. Will vote for this. Also the NieR soundtrack moves me deeply, even though the game itself looks... strange.

1. Nier
2. Cladun: This Is An R.P.G.
3. Umineko No Naku Koro Ni - Chiru

Durante

Nert said:
While updating the archive today with suggested soundtracks, I was really surprised by this one. Life, in particular, was a great listen. Good find!
LOVE & TRUTH said:
Wow, I'm impressed. Will vote for this.
Great to hear you liked it. I dare say that if more than 3 people on this forum had played Chiru it would have gotten a few more votes. "Life" is one of my favorite instrumental game bgms ever.

1) Mass Effect 2 - Epic as fuck, especially Suicide Mission.
2) Final Fantasy XIII - After how much I hated 12's soundtrack, 13's was more of a return to form. Lots of a good tracks in this game.
3) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - Awesome music just like the last two games.

Honorable mentions: Red Dead Redemption(just barely missed my list), Call of Duty Black Ops, Nier, Alan Wake

Nice thread btw!

botticus

1. Trauma Team
2. Monster Hunter Tri

Only two games whose music sticks in my head; the former because of the opening and the latter due to 250 hours of play. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1. VVVVVV
2. Bayonetta
3. Sin & Punishment 2

Thoughts;

1. Everyone raves about SMB's OST, and for good reason, but VVVVVV obliterates it, in my opinion. Its impossible to get the tracks out of your head.

2. You can always spot the people who have never played Bayonetta when they bitch that there's too much cheesy J-POP in the game. I love the Christian/Catholic theology sound to the orchestrated pieces, with heavy use of organs and choirs, and I love the jazzy beats in between.

3. Just flat out perfect for the type of game it is. A game as controlled in pace as S&P2 results in a score that fits every explosion, every set piece, and every climatic battle.

I have a feeling Nier and Castlevania would be on my list, but I haven't played them yet. Nier is in the mail.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not much to say that hasn't already been stated already, and a very easy set of picks for me:

1. Nier
2. Heavy Rain
3. Flower*

*Ok game was 2009, but the (extended) OST was only published in 2010, discount from the rankings if it fails the rule criteria, but music lovers -please- check it out, as it is superb.

1. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Having just played Episode 7, I was reminded again of what a perfect soundtrack this is: both interesting to listen to on its own and a very effective compliment to the story. The crew of doujin artists working on Umineko's music is one of the best around. Here are some of my favorites from Episode 7 that showcase its wide emotional range:

reflection-call
The Executioner
Song Without a Name ver. sakura ED size

2. Nier - This soundtrack took me my surprise when I heard an excerpt on the late Sound Track podcast. In one word: Ethereal. Emi Evans' voice and her invented language are a big part of that. Many track from it have been posted already in this thread, but in case someone hasn't heard the arranged album, here are a few highlights:

Kaine / Duet
The Wretched Automatons / A capella
The Legend of Nier: 8-bit Heroes

3. Xenoblade - A rich and varied soundtrack worthy of an epic RPG. Hopefully I will one day be able to play the game, but even if not, at least I can still listen:

Main Theme
Colony 9
The Night Before the Decisive Battle

Honorable Mentions: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game, DoDonPachi Resurrection (iPhone BGM), Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra, Final Fantasy XIII, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Patchwork Heroes, Cladun: This is an RPG, Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman (if only for the Hero Mastery dungeon song(s)).

I could go on, but I'll stop there. This was a good year for game music.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
1.)Sonic Colors
2.)Super Mario Galaxy 2
3.)Bit.Trip.Runner

Sonic Colors has a damn awesome soundtrack, with some of the catchiest tunes that I absolutely have not been able to get out of my head. Galaxy is incredible like its predecessor, and Bit.Trip.Runner, one of my favorite games of the year, depends heavily on its music.

trejo

randomkid

Durante said:
1. Umineko No Naku Koro Ni - Chiru
2. Nier

Nothing else left a lasting impression on me. I'm just not certain regarding the order of those two, I've already switched them out twice while composing this post.

Some Umineko BGM samples:
Final Answer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-HbOF1xvI
Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbqYuTZFDKk
Worldend Dominator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6PYrjEzcQ
Hope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOq7ZNTPVug
ACI-L - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXeclBNp0Q8
dreamenddischarger - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuRRe1moVhY
Justice - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTCklQ-isI

I could go on -- there's such a wealth of great songs to chose from.
I hope that helps achieve the goal of exposing "people to soundtracks for games that they haven’t played, including those from relatively niche titles." :D

Uh, I'm listening to this right now and sort of being blown away. This is the soundtrack for a visual novel game? How does that even work, there's like, really catchy battle themes and stuff. I don't get it.

Expanding my horizons! Thanks!

Nert

The_Technomancer said:
1.)Sonic Colors
2.)Super Mario Galaxy 2
3.)Bit.Trip.Runner

Sonic Colors has a damn awesome soundtrack, with some of the catchiest tunes that I absolutely have not been able to get out of my head. Galaxy is incredible like its predecessor, and Bit.Trip.Runner, one of my favorite games of the year, depends heavily on its music.

I'm enthralled by many of the songs in Sonic Colors, and I was originally going to place it up higher on my own list, but the inclusion of the Cash Cash stuff soured me a bit on the soundtrack as a whole. A medley of the level themes during the credits (like the credits sequence in S3&K) could have been wonderful, but... yeah : /

Durante

hosannainexcelsis said:
1. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru
2. Nier
hi5fyx8.png

randomkid said:
Uh, I'm listening to this right now and sort of being blown away. This is the soundtrack for a visual novel game? How does that even work, there's like, really catchy battle themes and stuff. I don't get it.

That's because Umineko has really catchy battles! Rosa Musou never forget.

GhaleonQ said:
I'm glad to see that there are a lot of good posts. (I'm biased toward hosannainexcelsis'.)
Thanks!

randomkid said:

What Durante said! A faceoff begins as another heart-pumping dramatic track by zts kicks in, and then credits start rolling and shivers go down my spine. So memorable.

randomkid

Haha I'm imagining the battles in my head Dragon Quest style, XXX attacks! XXX receives two points of damage! I should figure out how visual novel battles actually work.

Seriously though, this Life song is making me feel wistful and emotional, it's like, almost impossibly good.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I paid more for this than the game itself! Worth every cent.
2. BIT.TRIP RUNNER - My 2010 GOTY had a soundtrack to match. Gaijin outdid themselves here.
3. Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game - Anamanaguchi destroyed this! The soundtrack to this game was longer than all previous Anamanaguchi releases combined, so if anything it gave us a ton more of them which instantly made it worthwhile. Can't believe I left this off initially, I've listened to the music far more than I've played the game.

Honorable Mention: BIT.TRIP FATE - Chiptune dubstep. No, wait. AWESOME chiptune dubstep.

EDIT: I forgot ANAMANAGUCHI! How could I?!

Nert

I'm going through the thread again to make sure that every soundtrack that has been mentioned gets included in the archive; let me know (with a PM or a post) if something you've mentioned isn't included by Thursday.

Also, I've taken some time today to check out the soundtrack for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, and I'm pretty impressed. Nightsong, in particular, is a treat.

Gravijah

1) Nier

2) Bayonetta

3) Red Dead Redemption

I really wish I had more words to put into this, I'm sure I'll have more to say when my brain wakes up.

Haunted

metsallica said:
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I paid more for this than the game itself! Worth every cent.
2. BIT.TRIP RUNNER - My 2010 GOTY had a soundtrack to match. Gaijin outdid themselves here.
3. BIT.TRIP FATE - Chiptune dubstep. No, wait. AWESOME chiptune dubstep.
Bit Trip Runner's soundtrack was indeed great. Going along with the music perfectly, with your inputs. Definitely reminiscent of Rez.

Top Bottom