• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0 Error Reporting & Feedback Thread

My Div Class is Hero Unit, What's yours?

I heard Resetera uses containers more, might explain the hive.

Edit: Oh it's fixed now lol.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Edit: meant to post this in the redesign thread ... apparently I can't function normally when change has occured.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Jesus, that switch back to the default light theme freaked me out.

giphy.gif

After the change I can no longer see my alerts at the top of the page. I have to click on the pop up menu to see them. Is this intentional? I’m on mobile btw.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
After the change I can no longer see my alerts at the top of the page. I have to click on the pop up menu to see them. Is this intentional? I’m on mobile btw.

This isn't intentional, just overlooked. I'm working on an update that will overlay alerts onto the hamburger on mobile but it might be a few days before it's fully implemented.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just a heads up: In dark theme on mobile, the colour of the banner of your own posts is too similar to other people’s banners and doesn’t stand out enough. Therefore harder to spot when scrolling.

Also, when you click on the pop out menu and look at your alerts, the colour of the old/read alerts and the new alerts are barely distinguishable from eachother.

EDIT: I just noticed that when you look at the list of threads, the OP’s username is no longer displayed, just their avatar.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

I like the new one actually, my only reservation ATM is that some fonts give have not enough contrast (grey fonts could be darker, using light theme). The dark theme seems to be better here.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Did you guys make the font smaller in the last hour or two or am I going crazy?

If so, put it back.

Skyn3t

Banned
Have problems with posting imgur, gfycat gifs. When I try, I get an error. Could we just post a link and Gaf would handle the rest?

So on the old site, there was a way to jump to a certain page of a thread from the main forum page. I don't see a way to do that now. Am I missing it?

TaurezAG

In mobile with the dark theme, link text is hard to read because of the low brightness of the blue used.

The new font is a bit hard to read, especially in mobile.

Last edited:
on Chrome browser via windows 10 desktop:

Bugs:

avatar icon next to name in upper right corner looks squashed in X. like it's scale is: Y: 100 X: 50

Comments/Crit:

I don't love some of the banner ad placements - particularly the ones in between threads, really breaks the UX, very jarring.

Also, I think there needs to be more distinction on the thread page need. everything blends together, the thread titles dont stand out, what stands out the most are the creator avatar images, but thats like the least important thing

not feeling the animated grey circle graphic that occurs when you click the gaming forum on the left hand column.

i miss the grey color in the icon - dunno why that had to change.

miss square avatars, maybe try rounded corners over circles. circles are just very annoying to cropping avatars well imo. less real estate too. it reminds me of yahoo fantasy football avatars. i prefer the old ones. i get its trying to keep the rounded style thats been worked into the redesign tho

like a lot of whats been done/being done, but some things just feel like change for the sake of change. a lateral move in some cases, a backwards move in others. I think overall i'd prefer to be using the old layout still.

Last edited:

Gunship

Can we please disable the floating arrows and new post button on mobile? Very annoying.

Sticky header on mobile is a waste of verticle space, please disable.

Kdad

Id like to encourage gaf to drop the light blue text on mobile .... it is difficult to see on both the light and dark themes.

Last edited:
don't like the jump to top, jump to bottom, and post thread as overlay buttons that disappear on mobile AT ALL.

majority of users arent posting a thread every time they access gaf on their phone

with the jump buttons only reappearing once i start scrolling, it becomes kinda useless, because its not like the list of threads is that long, so one scroll and youre nearly at the bottom already. by the time it fades on and i click the button, i cant have scrolled to the bottom already. i get its there for when you want to jump while in the middle of the list...but its not like its a long list ever. youre always 1 or two quick scrolls from the top or bottom. just keep the jump button embedded in the base not as an overlay, or it only pops up once you scroll to bottom or top.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is this too crowded? Needs some breathing space...

9XCY99E.png

yes, threads need more space and more distinction. right now, all i notice are avatars which is unnecessary. its tough to differentiate and just doesnt feel/look clear/good. also, move posts/views closer to the rest of the information. i know it scales with the window on desktop but still. its so far from everything else.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
New design is pretty cool. It does seem a bit busy for distinguishing thread titles at a glance.

One really quick tip: The empty input field for creating new threads should read "New thread title" instead of "Thread title". I initially mistook it as a thread search/filter feature.

Kadayi

Banned
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, about truncated usernames. However here is a visual example of what I mean.

p.png

With the mobile version obviously everything is fine and dandy, but on PC...not so much. I'm not sure what the cap is on user name lerngth, but maybe try squeezing in a couple more letters on the line?

Last edited:

Blam

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, about truncated usernames. However here is a visual example of what I mean.

p.png

With the mobile version obviously everything is fine and dandy, but on PC...not so much. I'm not sure what the cap is on user name lerngth, but maybe try squeezing in a couple more letters on the line?
Or if anything adaptive ones that are smaller the more characters?

Kadayi

Banned
Oh, Another thing. Notable Members: -

p.png

I'm not sure most messages is either that helpful given none of this people seem active now, or whether power posting should be encouraged (we do suffer from a few who struggle with the concept of quality over quantity and treat the forum like a twitter account). Mayhap lose it and instead put in new members or double column the most likes or Staff. Look forward rather than back.

Blam

I gotta say pressing space on anything or actually doing any actions on the site is randomly making my top bar flicker. This might be because of the notification bar. That XF uses. Which should be changed to be a toast notification imo so this flicker doesn't consistently happen. Just pressing enter on the reply form after a certain number of characters causes it.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Oh, Another thing. Notable Members: -

p.png

I'm not sure most messages is either that helpful given none of this people seem active now, or whether power posting should be encouraged (we do suffer from a few who struggle with the concept of quality over quantity and treat the forum like a twitter account). Mayhap lose it and instead put in new members or double column the most likes or Staff. Look forward rather than back.

This has been present for the past 10 or so months (since we switched forum software) so it's not to do with the redesign specifically - but noted nonetheless.

I gotta say pressing space on anything or actually doing any actions on the site is randomly making my top bar flicker. This might be because of the notification bar. That XF uses. Which should be changed to be a toast notification imo so this flicker doesn't consistently happen. Just pressing enter on the reply form after a certain number of characters causes it.

I am investigating this issue.

Blam

This has been present for the past 10 or so months (since we switched forum software) so it's not to do with the redesign specifically - but noted nonetheless.

I am investigating this issue.
Nother issue not sure if I've actually mentioned it yet in this thread but there is a way to scroll infinitely downwards. It's a bit difficult to reproduce but it does happen

Kadayi

Banned
This has been present for the past 10 or so months (since we switched forum software) so it's not to do with the redesign specifically - but noted nonetheless..

I know, but I knew the site was getting updated, so I didn't see the point in raising it. If it can be fixed it would be cool. 95% of my GAF time is PC so it kind of gets wearing.

Also, have to say that this body font the e & o are quite hard to delineate easily. I'd honestly recommend using a serif font for body text, as it's more legible. Keep san serif for titles only. Graphic Design talk.

Last edited:

Exentryk

The new look is great!

Is there a "Live Thread" option that basically refreshes the thread after every 60 secs or something?

manfestival

I like the new look but it is WAY too busy. I always liked the more minimal look of GAF in the past. Once again, I like this but there is a color clash of epic proportions around here

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I noticed that after the redesign some pages (for example, the ban page) are cut off on mobile. Usually you can scroll right with your thumb or flip to landscape to read the ban reason, but now they remain cut off when you do this.

Top Bottom