• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II OPEN Tournament

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I really did not think that Paz could have come back from that position in that second game.

ksan

No scouting in your own base? Fail expand? Stargate to counter 4 gate?
What are we gonna see!

Impressed by Paz playing 94 pvps in a couple of hours though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
western-australia-kangaroo-beach.jpg

Congrats Paz

edit: Paz donating his winnings to charity, outstanding work son

and congrats to everyone involved, excellent production values and casting and streaming ! look forward to the next one

Spl1nter

A huge congratulations to Paz. Amazing job tonight. Your persistence impressed, your determination never wavered and your play dazzled and amazed. A true gentleman, donating the money to red cross in support of Japan. Congratulations once again.

Chanstaa, a great run. I will admit at the beginning of the tournament I never thought you would be in the finals.Nevertheless, you should be extremely proud of how far you made it in the tournament. A huge congrats to you as well. Be proud.

To MrMister and Corran, you guys are amazing, an amazing tournament of surprises and upsets. You guys are the true GAF heroes.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well done to all the participants, and to the tournament organizers. Despite not having all the most outside attention in the world, we have full VODs and commentary, very cool. Glad to have sponsored it.

Looking forward to the showmatches!

Paz

Thank you to everyone involved in organizing, sponsoring, and playing in this tournament. It has been a pleasure to compete and so so smooth.

I hope the money goes to a good cause with the Red Cross and their efforts in Japan.

mOOnGLaDe beware!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks all.
Glad most are happy about how this turned out.

I'll have either audio clips or transcribed audio (Did not want 27 minutes of talk, but we kept going) for the finals stuff.

Real props to Corran for lugging through the VOD and links. It's awesome that we can just have a few people start up and manage a tournament like this. MrMr for putting it together with his graphics.
Small beginnings :)

Hope everyone enjoyed the casting, really got into it. Didn't expect that for PvP.

IceMarker

rix3g.png

GG to everybody in the tournament, that was a great Grand Final, final brackets posted in the OP! All in all I had a great time organizing this for you all and I hope the players, viewers, and staff alike all enjoyed this wonderful event in NeoGAF community history. Don't forget that next Friday, April 8th FXOMoonglade will be facing our winner Paz live in a show match! As for the prizes to our top three players, it is up to the donator to send the prize to the winner. I will be sending PMs to donators as a reminder.

Thanks for playing and see you in the next tournament, the Summer Invitational, in mid-May!

Hey guys! Thanks for everything! Twas an amazing tournament, a few big upsets (Panda, I'm looking at you! =D) but everything was fantastic.

I just wanna say, for my first tournament experience ever, it was fun =D and I hope everyone enjoyed the games. I'm glad I placed top 3 and if I had to lose to anyone, I'm glad it was to Paz, a damn good player.

Hope to see you all ingame! =)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Paz and Chanstaa, please PM me your paypal info and I'll send my portion of the prizes.

Edit: all done.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Liberally transcribed interviews, sorry it's a bit hard to read.

Hazard: Why did you choose Protoss over Zerg? I saw you were a Masters Zerg on SEA.
Paz: During the beta I played a lot of Protoss, but I felt that they were a bit one dimensional in the beta. It was really boring, so when it came out and I picked up the AUS version (no NA available at launch), since most of the SEA server is not that great, I played a more macro style with Zerg and got into the top 200.

Hazard: And so you were a 5-0 plat in our tournament...
Paz: Yea... I should have let the organizers know where I stood. Sorry for knocking you out.

Hazard: You got a bit upset at Chanstaa at the end of the first set, why was that?
Paz: It wasn't directed at Chanstaa, I just get really into the flow of the game and having a pause like that is really distracting. In the Winners bracket I was far past the time for my lunch break and felt under pressure that way.

Hazard: In the Game 3 base trade, you mentioned your boss came over, which was when you walked 5 stalkers down the ramp.
Paz: Yeah, he came over to check since we had a meeting scheduled after lunch, where I sort of gave him eye contact, "I am still on my lunch break".

Hazard: How comfortable were you going into the Bo3 after taking the Bo7 4-1?
Paz: I was completely uncomfortable, PvP is by far my worst matchup, if I could I would have switched to Zerg to play a ZvP.

Hazard: Have you played or entered any other tournaments other than this one?
Paz: No, I'm not a big tournament player. I am a long time lurker on NeoGAF and I played with them on NA in the beta. Bunch of guys who just play for fun.

Hazard: Like people who go 1 base BC and beat you ;)
Paz: Haha, yeah. That was back in beta when all I did was go 3 gate robo. That's why I switched from Protoss.

Hazard: Chanstaa, you felt hyper aggressive in most of your games, why is that?
Chanstaa: That's just how I play, I feel that if the other player messes up, that is it for them.

Hazard: Chanstaa, in the last game you mentioned you like PvP. Is this true? Are you sane?
Chanstaa: I actually like PvP, there's non stop action and it is never boring.

Hazard: Paz, what is your relationship with mOOnGLaDe?
Paz: He's an old friend of mine, when he was competing in Warcraft III events and I... wasn't really competing in anything. Actually ended up working with him for about 2 years.

Hazard: Looking forward to the April 8th match between you two :)
Paz: I messaged him on MSN and he says he is going to crush me.

Hazard: Chanstaa, how do you feel about the results?
Chanstaa: I'm still a bit salty
Paz: You played a great match though

Hazard: When you guys have some time, I think you should look back at the VODs we have. Feep and I really got into the casting for the Finals.
Paz: I actually watched all the VODs with me in them, or my opponents. I thought it was really helpful to see where you guys picked out mistakes that I might have missed. It's a lot better than watching a replay I think.
Chanstaa: Same here, it really helps to get a different perspective that we might not think of.
Hazard: You know I just try to fill time right?
Paz/Chanstaa: Heh

Hazard: You better crush mOOnGLaDe Paz!
Paz: I'll try, I've got some ideas.

Hazard: Last words?
Paz: I'm sending the winnings to Japan, so if anyone out there has the ability to send, please send.
Chanstaa: Thank you for the tournament. It was really fun, good vibes, good everything. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Paz: And I want to give a couple shoutouts
Hazard: Sure, go ahead
Paz: This tournament has been really well run, everyone was asked to be there on time, on days, etc. The VOD links and all the posts, replays are being put up. There's some pretty good commentary as well.
Chanstaa: And props to Corran man, he always has the stream up and is posting all the VOD links and everything.
Hazard: I'm not sure what tournament you guys played in. See you in a week Paz!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
//: NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II OPEN Tournament - The Final Countdown! Bracket Finals, Survivor Match, & Grand Finals!
Wls3H.png

vodlinks.jpg

Blip.tv: http://corran.blip.tv/
Justin.tv Videos: http://www.justin.tv/corran666/videos
Justin.tv Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
Neogaf Replays: http://www.askcorran.com/replays/

-Have replays that are not here and want them to be? Just send them my way and I will upload.

Winners Bracket Final - Chanstaa(P) v Paz(P)
jm8Fo.png

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5

Losers Bracket Final - Ezrarh(P) v Twosocks(Z)
gvHQM.png

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Survivor Match - Ezrarh(P) v Paz(P)
VLzYH.png

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Grand Finals - Chanstaa(P) v Paz(P)
Best of 7 + Best of 3
jm8Fo.png

Blip.tv Part 1 - Blip.tv Part 2
Justin.tv Part 1 - Justin.tv Part 2
Replays:
Best of 7
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5

Best of 3
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Full Stream
3-31-11 - Winners & Losers Bracket Finals

4-01-11 - Survivor Match & Grand Finals

Complete Tournament Replay Pack:
Dropbox Link - Askcorran Link

Showmatch with FXOMoonglade next week!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
losing to the 1st place finish and being eliminated by the third isnt so bad i guess. >_>

still, i will train hard for the summer invitational!

als people who want their mousepad prize have to get me a shipping address.

Slavik81

Shame I missed it. CHANSTAA and Ezrarh, pm me with Steam/email info and a game that's $10 or $5, respectively.

Or you can pick from, Portal, Titan Quest Gold, Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead 2 regardless of whatever price they currently are now, while supplies last.

Mardil

Can I see the "special mousepad" that was a prize for the tournament? It's always intrigued me what does "special" mean? Is it an autographed pad by GAF's elite :p?

Pandaman said:
losing to the 1st place finish and being eliminated by the third isnt so bad i guess. >_>

still, i will train hard for the summer invitational!

als people who want their mousepad prize have to get me a shipping address.

Welcome to the club. I lost to the eventual winner last time (you). Feels good man

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Updated with all vods. Hope to make some post soon with a all the VODs together, or at least all the vod post links.

Top Bottom