• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #174 - “Get 'im”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Ward: I’m almost certain that this is not how my college crush went.

Cowlick: What the shit, is everyone just writing made up stories about me this week? I liked the premise at the core of this, but I think it over extended in a few directions that made it lose focus and introduced too much extraneous information. The useless left arm, for instance, felt like it came out of nowhere. Yes, he opened the door with his “good hand,” but my first thoughts with that aren’t that he’s lost the entire use of his other arm. Everything with Madeline was surplus to requirements, it only introduced elements that turned it from a neat and tidy self-contained scene to a pile of loose ends.

Mike M: Turned out alright for a stand alone chase scene. The whole inherited name thing is probably a head scratcher for some people, but Val(gar) Fierno was my first and frankly favorite DnD character (even if I ripped off huge swaths of the Lies of Locke Lemora to make him), and I there was a lot of complicated headcanon to try and cram into a relatively short period of time. Valor was someone who was mentioned in passing as being Valgar’s “father” over the course of the campaign where I played him and never really had anything going for him beyond that, so I took him for a test drive.

Blasian Persuasion: You examine the innards with a dissecting probe, not a scalpel : P I think what bothered me the most about this was that we kept seeing one of the main characters being called “the burly man” right until the end when the cop drops his name. If he has a name, use it. If he doesn’t have a name, give him one. “The [adjective] [gender identifier]” isn’t readable over the long haul. Also, I was ultimately confused as to what was going on in the end. The dirty girl seemed to just muddy the waters further, and makes it difficult to connect the dots.

FlowersisBritish: I seem to recall rather liking the original story, though I had quibbles that the fairy tale construction was done so well that it made the deviations stand out more. At least that’s how I remember it. I suppose I could go back and look, but ehhhhhh… This one seemed a little more Secret of Nimh or Watership Down than a fairy tale. Nothing wrong with portraying the life and death of animals in all the horrible details, but the marked departure from the tone of the first story stood out. I will say I loved everything about the witch; the nest-lair, the skull over her face, her complete no-nonsense attitude. I liked her in the first story too, but she definitely stood out here. I think what I like about her the most is that she doesn’t seem particularly evil. Udd was a bit of a dick with his grudges and cursing, and while the witch arguably played him dirty to usurp his power, she doesn’t exactly seem to be abusing it. She’s more… chaotic neutral than anything.

frekifox7: “Madam Vile” is a name that’s a bit on the nose, but there’s a lot of other good stuff going on here. I was especially fond of the detail where the healing hair was kept in a cage and the physical descriptions of the players involved were interesting and mostly did not fall into the usual fantasy creature archetypes of elves and dwarves and shit (You know, like my entry. Oh, I didn’t mention them, but they were there.). Madam Vile being an evil spider lady probably came the closest (see Lolth, Quelaag, arachne, etc.), but even then I think you were largely successful in differentiating her from the trope. Also liked how much of the MC’s culture we were able to glimpse from a few short mentions of his home life prior to being captured. Just… All around solid stuff.

Cathy: Glad to see you took my nitpickiness to heart. Not that I wouldn’t still pick nits with what you revised it too, but it’s in better shape than it was initially : ) The whole thing reminds me of an episode of The Outer Limits. So much so that I really want to say that this is the premise of an episode of The Outer Limits, but it’s definitely not one that I saw. Also, the title is still a really unfortunate selection in light of the direction conversation went on Tuesday. Heh heh.

Tangent: Oooh, I miss Santa Barbara. That town was a revelation after having grown up in the central valley. Technically I think most of the properties that could be qualified as “estates” were actually in Montecito, but no one’s going to fault you for that. Except me. I would fault you for that. At first I—OH MY FUCK, I KNOW WHAT THIS IS. Oh well played, well-fucking played. The punchline/reveal could have stood to be a little closer to the end to drag out the shaggy dog joke that much longer. Really enjoyed the callback to what this was supposed to tie into, it was so unexpected and out of the blue that I found it hilarious enough to outshine the rest of the story for me.

Shannon: “Church” is by definition used in the context of Christianity (and arguably so is cathedral and devil), so “Thgil Church” threw me. Yes, there are other things in the world that use the word “Church” without actually being associated with Christianity (i.e. Church of Scientology), but they exist in a world where Christianity exists and I can understand the word having been coopted for their own purposes. Less so in a fantasy setting. Yes, the godhost stuff is different, but the borrowing of terms are largely associated with a particular religion that doesn’t exist in the story takes me out of the experience. Nitpicky pedantry over word choices aside, I think my biggest question is how did Darien overpower the (presumably) armed guard? I know you were hurting for words, and maybe it was in the portion you excised, but that seems like something that should at least be mentioned in passing.

Cyan: I recently heard that one shouldn’t start a story with a name or dialogue. Fuck that. I liked the Open Source Magic story from way back when, but I seem to remember that it was one of those ones with the particularly brutal word count and you had chop it to the bare minimum. While it was nice to get a better idea of how the world works (as previous entries might have indicated, I’m a fan of the “magic exists but is highly regulated so the world is not too different from ours,” rationale), the fly in the ointment for me was the idea that the Association of Licensed Magicians would have any sort of law-enforcement authority or anything. That would seem to make it a government body or some sort rather than… well, an association of professionals. If they *are* a government organization, they would need a more governmenty-sounding name (“Bureau of Magic, Arcanum, and Firearms” or something). If they’re not… Well, in that case I think you’d have to go back to premise on that one. It’d be like if the RIAA had the power to make arrests.

Ashes: Is “bro” really a thing that people across the pond use? I always thought that was more of an Americanism. Short piece, but you captured the character voice wonderfully.

This was really freaking hard this week.

1. frekifox7
2. Cyan
3. Tangent

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Heyo, time for stuff

Ward- What kind of Uni has randomly assigned mix-sex dorms? I think you handle the jumps between perspectives well, giving each character enough thoughts on the other that their evolving situation was pretty cute.

CowLick- Madeline feels weirdly sudden. We have an entire opening scene in the car with no mention of her, than after shenanigans she's suddenly was in the car all along? Incidentally, terrible place to stay in during terrible dessert heat. I did like the world you constructed though, and while Madeline was sudden, she did add a layer of complexity to the situation.

Mike- The First paragraph leaves me confused regarding time? He's first talking about present, than thinking back to the past, then back to the present? Just feel it could be cleaned up. Val didn't really seem to want the position of head thief, saying she couldn't quit, but is then excited about being it? Feel like showing some of Val's ambition, or conflicting feelings about the situation, would really help. Also, I would have liked the reveal of what was stolen earlier, so that the twist would be a little more meaningful. They both just kind of happen at the same time, and Val's shock is not reflective of the readers. Your world building is quick and great, establishing the city as an interesting place. Ultimately, I think my complaints would have been all fixed if you had an extra 500 words.

Blasian- You could have used more dialogue cues in your conversations, they tended to get a little confusing. Not too many, just a couple. Also, I feel the Burly man could really use a name, you gave him one at the end, and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't have one? In the scene where the cop asked the Dr a question, the Dr responds with "come in" not answering the question. I didn't really understand your end, but i did like the general vibe I got from it.

Flowers- Been doing a lot of experimenting lately, so gonna try these self reviews as well for a bit. My big thing with this was I wanted to try omniscient narration and action scenes. Not really happy with either aspects in this, but I don't think they came out terrible either. Confliction :/ I was happy with the color themes I had going through out.

FekiFox- What a good questions, why did Kydan heal her, when he just swung at her causing her to bleed, and didn't seem to care about the well being of his other inmates? This one thing aside, I really liked this. Your descriptions felt particularly on point(cept for the other two cell mates, would have liked to know more about them biologically). Also you have a very fun and interesting cast of creatures, making me very intrigued to see more of this world.

Cathy- I didn't really get a sense of the wife in comparison to her husband. I do like how you eased into the whole apocalyptic part, and really love the idea of the "vacation." I do think the cliche of drunks drinking away their troubles at a bar is a little on the nose though.

Tangent- I always hate reading your stuff, because it's usually great quality and I can't think of many things to talk about with them. It's very funny. That's all I can think to say! All the jokes hit, and I had a laugh through out.

Shanon- I like the part with where the clergy pulled out those chains. I thought it was a great scene. Don't really see how the kids a harbinger of death though? Didn't really see much harbingering. This felt like a set up to a much longer story to me (Maybe that's why it's called part 1 hohoho). I am mildly curious to see where it goes, and have some of those unanswered questions answered.

Cyan- I really don't think you need the first or third stars(line breaks). The scenes play out more naturally without them. I feel like she would be more reactive to her friend getting magic, especially since she was clearly very interested in it. I felt a lot of the teen talk in the narration "soooo much trouble" was a little much. Than again I hate teens. She seemed to take a weird amount of time to mount up the courage to storm out and cause trouble 20 minutes after that conflict happened. As I think about it, her resolution to go to magic school doesn't really make sense? She just saw some of them be dicks? How does that make her want to go to their school? I did really like this though, thought your characters were great, and besides the momentary teeny narration, I thought your writing was particularly top notch in this.

Ashes- Your dialogue is great, and I love the part where he's "he must have seen baliwood movies" The story moves by so fast i got a little confused of who was talking to who. Took a second read to get my bearings.

And the votes
1)Frekifox
2) Cyan
3) Ashes

I have no idea what the ‘previous’ stuff might be, so I’ve read everything on surface value only.

Ward - That Rare Instance When Imagination meets Reality : just so I’m clear on this, a ‘tee shirt’ is a t-shirt with a specific (branded) print on it, right? Also, switching POV in the same scene is never a good idea. I can now read:
“It goes by quickly, doesn’t it?” Mike pointed to a box. “Yeah, it’s ready.” Charlotte grabbed a box too.​
As either character saying either line with no way of telling how this is supposed to play. Later on: “…phone after unlocking it.” There is no need to add that activity. We know smartphones, we know that’s a thing that would happen. There is no need to select that as a core ‘visual’ detail. Compare: in a movie it would be a background detail, not center focus. Meaning it’s not the important selection of the story event of that particular frame. If it were, it would be really important, going to a sense of paranoia or something. Which completely changes the genre too. But I’m pretty sure you would have deleted that tidbit in an edit anyway. :p

Cowlick - The First Lie : Nice. And by that I mean handling exposition as dialogue without much fuss and leaving it to surprise. Well played, liar.

Mike M - Best Laid Plans : wait, has my remark about abbreviations in the previous thread actually lead people to do the opposite? Saw it in Cowlick’s entry too, but chose to ignore it since it was consistent with the pov. I still don’t think it’s a good idea to have them right off the bat in a text though. In this case, you wonder about the tone difference between ‘he had misjudged’ (comedy, godlike pov) and ‘he’d misjudged’ (action, third person). Scratch that.
No, on second thought keep it, because ‘out of his existential pondering’ is back to godlike pov, not third person. There is a slight mismatch here between those two. I think. Maybe it’s just me.

Blasian Persuasion - Get the Doctor : “It was midnight on a summer day.” Ok, so now I’m in pitch black while the sun is shining. Somebody get me that Riddick guy and Ben Affleck. Cutting that first sentence would be preferable. Also, try to prevent using adverbs ending in –ly, because they aren’t precise images we can use. ‘to twitch horribly’ for instance, doesn’t actually mean anything specific. Clarity depends on being specific where it’s needed. “A dead coyote lied ..” > lay. Well, I would call this very rough. Apologies if you didn’t expect to hear that, but that’s what there training sessions are for, in my opinion.

FlowersisBritish - Gray Horns and Red Snow : Isn’t a male deer a buck? Okay, so this one is kind of rough too, but at least we got “and brave furry.” out of it. Wouldn’t be a flowers entry without that, would it?

frekifox7 – Ensnared : it took me a while to separate ‘madam vile’ from the namedrop in the next sentence, errr , Eyra? I feel like I’ve seen this now though. Time to practice a different kind of story?

Cathy - Dripping to the End : ‘Edward said Michael as he’.. huh? Oh, to Michael. Pretty neat. Though as soon as I finished it, imaged that happening, I suddenly remembered ‘closed system’ and that this scenario would never happen. Was kind of obvious with ‘chain reaction’ earlier, but oh well. Works as a story, though fridge logic kind of ruins it.

Tangent - Safety First : check! Disturbing how ‘oh that makes sense’ this all gets though. Except if you’re a squirrel. I vaguely recall your previous entries featuring those, but I never read them in detail. -_-'

Shannon - Part One : neat.

Cyan - Witch Hunt: THE T IS SILENT! Ahem.
Snape Snapeth Snape
Quickest read of the lot though.

Ashes - Butterflies in the Hurricane Season III : and if we were in the same position?

votes:

1. Cyan's Potter Hunt. (Witch Hunt)
2. Shannon Sequel Hook (Part One)
3. Cowlick's Lies (The First Lie)

I've taken 'speed' as my primary measure for votes this time.

frekifox7

Neo Member
@FlowersisBritish- the female were was the one who injured Erya.
I did have more info on the other two prisoners, but, as it so often goes, had to cut something to fit the word count. ;)

Cowlick

Banned
Are my votes late? I think my votes are late.

1. Mike M
2. FlowersisBritish
3. frekifox7

I wish I could have provided this challenge with a better submission. Scatter and self-doubt have me hobbled at present. May it soon pass.

Tangent

Did we REALLY have so many entries at "2,000 words?!" :)

Tough voting this time around since I think these are all tied for 1st place!

Ward: That Rare Instance When Imagination meets Reality -- I love your website. I saw there was a flow chart on procrastination and how to eradicate it. I'd like to follow it but I don't know how to follow "just complete it now" cuz what if you need to sleep or what if you don't know how to start?! I loved the audio version of your story and the 2 different voices. Very cute story. I liked the evolution of their dialog. And it really had a realistic feel of dorm life.

Cowlick: The First Lie -- I liked the useless hand and the characters in this. Great dialog.

Mike M: Best Laid Plans -- Your dialog is natural and fun to read. I like how Val seems so conflicted. Something about the story line seemed unsettling to me, perhaps a little clunkier for me to read than usual, but this could just be me.

Blasian Persuasion: Get the Doctor -- A story with a lot of characters that seemed to have interesting potential, perhaps they need to be flushed out more. I am abysmal at recognizing who is talking without dialog tags so take this advice with a grain of salt: more dialog tags would have helped!

FlowersisBritish: Gray Horns and Red Snow - Beautiful story with a Tim Burton feel to it. I liked the witch a lot, and I believe the witch satisfied the secondary objective if I recall correctly.

frekifox7: Ensnared -- Um, OK so beautiful title art. I really liked the characters and your word choice in descriptions.

Cathy: Dripping to the End -- What a great idea with the "vacation." I'm not good with apocalyptic-anything so kudos to you. Well done.

Tangent: Safety First -- I wish I spent more time on this.

Shannon: Part One -- Interesting story and I liked the character of Darien. Captivating start but ideally, I would have liked to read "Part Two!" I suppose you felt crunched with the word count.

Cyan: Witch Hunt -- At first I was wondering if you were writing a fictional description of me and my dad with the first few sentences! Great story and great pace. Dialog was realistic and the characters felt real right away.

Ashes: Butterflies in the Hurricane Season III -- I loved the dialog so much! It felt a little "fast" -- even for me, which is odd since I love the poetic feel of super short stories. But this time, it was so fast that I had to reread a bit. Nevertheless, spot on dialog like I said. Perhaps a longer length would have allowed for a bit more character development.

Votes:
1. Frekifox
2. Cyan
3. FlowersIsBritish
hm. Ashes

I wish I could have provided this challenge with a better submission. Scatter and self-doubt have me hobbled at present. May it soon pass.
Meeeehhhhh sorry you felt that way. I hate it when I feel that way! Happens often. Oh well, life goes on. Hope you feel more assured for your next entry.

Cyan

Banned
Votes:
1. FlowersisBritish - "Gray Horns and Red Snow" - an excellent choice for the secondary, given the implication in the first story that this was a cyclical thing, always someone new to take revenge. Loved the main character's repeated cry, and the inevitable end.
2. Mike M - "Best Laid Plans" - smooth and crisp as always. Somehow the twist with the forgery didn't land for me, while the twist with who the guardswoman was did. Maybe because we didn't see the theft but we did see the pursuit? I can't help feeling I might've enjoyed this more if I could recall whichever earlier story you did in this world. Mind refreshing us?
3. frekifox7 - "Ensnared" - good setup with the dragon lady and the eventual reveal about the main character. Another good choice for which setting to revisit, and I like the takedown of the creepy zookeeper lady. Sometimes in romance stories I feel like the romance hand is tipped too early, if that makes sense. I feel like that happened here, but I don't know if I could put my finger on why I feel that way, or how to fix it (or if it's even necessary to fix--could be just me).

Mike M

Nick N
Mike M - Best Laid Plans : wait, has my remark about abbreviations in the previous thread actually lead people to do the opposite? Saw it in Cowlick’s entry too, but chose to ignore it since it was consistent with the pov. I still don’t think it’s a good idea to have them right off the bat in a text though. In this case, you wonder about the tone difference between ‘he had misjudged’ (comedy, godlike pov) and ‘he’d misjudged’ (action, third person). Scratch that.
No, on second thought keep it, because ‘out of his existential pondering’ is back to godlike pov, not third person. There is a slight mismatch here between those two. I think. Maybe it’s just me.

I don't disagree, but I was reeeeeeeally starved on words this time around and was pinching every last one.

Votes:
2. Mike M - "Best Laid Plans" - smooth and crisp as always. Somehow the twist with the forgery didn't land for me, while the twist with who the guardswoman was did. Maybe because we didn't see the theft but we did see the pursuit? I can't help feeling I might've enjoyed this more if I could recall whichever earlier story you did in this world. Mind refreshing us?

Ruby Keep was the setting of Father's Day, which featured the main character of The Westbound Man as a child (who was yet another character I played). The world itself was the setting of ThLunarian's Quest for the Holy Relics play-by-post D&D campaign and its sidequel Excalibur.

Best Laid Plans is about 30 years before Father's Day/Quest for the Holy Relics, which in turn is 30 years before The Westbound Man/Excalibur.

Mike M

Nick N
Unless we're still waiting on two first-place votes for me, I think we can call this.

1st Cyan (18)
2nd Mike (13)
3rd frekifox7 (10)

Cyan

Banned
Heh. Thanks, folks. Good thing Ashes suggested I do this one. ;)

I will have a new thread up shortly. Just need to write up a quick secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom