• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #180 - "Flight"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "Flight"

Word Limit: 2200

Submission Deadline: Friday, Jan 15th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, Jan 16th, and goes until Monday, Jan 18th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Principles of Puppetry

This is sort of an unusual one, in that instead of giving a big explanation of why I think you should do xyz thing, I'm going to just direct you to a podcast and see what happens. Listen to this episode of Writing Excuses: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2009/...ciples-of-puppetry-with-mary-robinette-kowal/ (don't worry, it's fifteen minutes long). And consider Mary's principles when writing/editing your story, if applicable. That's it! (Also, feel free to discuss in this thread if you feel like it.)

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

oh! I can use something I've got on this. If I can muster not procrastinating on it I might actually deliver. Maybe.

On a complete side note I haven't dreamt I could fly for years, but relatively recently I managed to get it back but only for lower building altitudes. :\
It's very frustrating to realize you can't push on inside your own dream. I want to, but I can't. Like an invisible wall, with gravity acting as a leash to the ground. grrr

Tangent

Congrats, Cyan!! And, I loved the secondary -- and that memorable podcast that you shared with us a while back. Thanks for bringing it back.

And, HUGE apologies. I was in vacation mode, and then yesterday was the first day back at work, followed by a usually steady and relaxed flip-out dragon-wildebeest-honey-badger of a baby going ballistic about feeding and sleeping. As a result, I completely forgot about story-reading and feedback-providing by the January 4th deadline. I sincerely apologize -- it sucks that y'all read my story and I didn't even return the favor.

Gaz_RB: huge compliment in your feedback. WOW! Thanks!

Mike M: I am so impressed that you REWROTE all your feedback after using your mobile to do so...after being sick... and then apologizing for your shorter-than-usual feedback. Also, another huge compliment: "This story lies somewhere between Motel of Mysteries and Calvin’s Dad." Duh-duh-duh-duh-DAAAAANG. Y'know it's funny, I was talking to
Cyan's sister
about whether I should quit writing at this point in my life. I feel like I crank out "whatever" material from force of habit. But maybe there is value in just working this writing muscle for workout's sake.

Cyan: OK, you've convinced me. I will try to make the hangouts. If I am home to make them, I usually don't since I don't feel mentally prepared to do so, but you make it sound like it's still worthwhile! Plus it's so fun to "hang out" with y'all. Awwwwwww.

Hmmmmmm....

Don't think I have anything on tap for this.

Um, turns out it's not due until the 15th, Mike M. Here, lemme tell you a thing or two about writing. You don't have anything on tap, but then you finally settle for some free-floating idea on the night of the 14th (or the 15th). Ta da!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
oh! I can use something I've got on this. If I can muster not procrastinating on it I might actually deliver. Maybe.

On a complete side note I haven't dreamt I could fly for years, but relatively recently I managed to get it back but only for lower building altitudes. :\
It's very frustrating to realize you can't push on inside your own dream. I want to, but I can't. Like an invisible wall, with gravity acting as a leash to the ground. grrr

I actually have a huge hard on for, what I like to refer to as, areokenesis. Basically, i want to control the wind and make swooshing noises at peoples faces. I occasionally have dreams where I use this very b-tier super power and i will do something like jump really high, then eat shit on the way down, and I always love it. Moral of the Story, don't look your dream horse in the mouth, its trying its best. Just go to those lower buildings and peek through windows.

Valhelm

contribute something
Question... Is the prospective first chapter of a larger work acceptable for this challenge?

Nezumi

*Starts looking around for the notes of Mary's writing workshop*

I think I might have rembered this stuff better if I hadn't be so distracted by that absolutely adorable napkin puppet...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I may participate in this one. I've been writing a ton lately and it'd be good to expand my horizons with projects such as these. If I don't get a chance this time around, I'll surely try to hop in for the next one.

Thanks for hosting this series,
fellow Purple Drazi x_X

I actually have a huge hard on for, what I like to refer to as, areokenesis. Basically, i want to control the wind and make swooshing noises at peoples faces. I occasionally have dreams where I use this very b-tier super power and i will do something like jump really high, then eat shit on the way down, and I always love it. Moral of the Story, don't look your dream horse in the mouth, its trying its best. Just go to those lower buildings and peek through windows.

d798d9a75b9a92883f8e29e96afe1f33.jpg

Chronicle with air bending, basically.

(this arc was great though, if you haven't watched Legend of Korra, this was worth it, imo)

GRW810

Haven't been in these threads for yonks. What's the purpose of having a deadline and a grace period? Isn't the end of the grace period just the actual deadline?

there's a great experimental section on that in Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely btw (or I think that's where I read it).

short version: everybody does their shit just before the deadline, or even manages to miss it despite weeks of time. Setting in-between targets made people deliver on time more frequently, if I remember correctly.

Mike M

Nick N
I already have a draft in the can.

God damn word count limits... I also have no idea how to end this...

FlowersisBritish

Pretty dang firm

#

I complete rewrote the second half of my story and gave it a different ending, but it's still terrible.

I really don't know how this should end.

Whats terrible about it? Why not go in the hard opposite? Go 180 on every major decision.

mu cephei

How do you guys develop your ideas for these challenges? Start writing immediately and sort out the issues as you go, or plan it out, or does it depend?

Because I listened to the podcast on Wednesday at work, and thought up an idea I liked a lot. I couldn't write it because I was doing overtime. Thinking about the story at work on Thursday, I noticed all the inconsistencies, and then came up with another idea I really liked. Couldn't write it due to overtime. Friday at work I noticed all the problems with the second idea.

Halp.

I complete rewrote the second half of my story and gave it a different ending, but it's still terrible.

I really don't know how this should end.

I'm scared of this...

Mike M

Nick N
How do you guys develop your ideas for these challenges? Start writing immediately and sort out the issues as you go, or plan it out, or does it depend?

Because I listened to the podcast on Wednesday at work, and thought up an idea I liked a lot. I couldn't write it because I was doing overtime. Thinking about the story at work on Thursday, I noticed all the inconsistencies, and then came up with another idea I really liked. Couldn't write it due to overtime. Friday at work I noticed all the problems with the second idea.

Halp.

I'm scared of this...
I personally write down almost every story idea I come up with and frequently refer to the list to see if I already have an idea I could retrofit for the theme. I usually know exactly how it begins, how it ends, and how it gets there. Everything else is just fleshing things out.

Except this week. I'm trying to attempt something where the characters don't get closure, and it turns out it's damned hard to end such a story rather than just stopping it.

Red

I personally write down almost every story idea I come up with and frequently refer to the list to see if I already have an idea I could retrofit for the theme. I usually know exactly how it begins, how it ends, and how it gets there. Everything else is just fleshing things out.

Except this week. I'm trying to attempt something where the characters don't get closure, and it turns out it's damned hard to end such a story rather than just stopping it.
I try to do the same thing. Evernote is my second brain.

I'm off work this coming week and am going to try to join this time. I am disappointed I haven't contributed lately.

mu cephei

Do we have to post in this thread to participate? Not sure if I'll be able to try this.

Not other than your story submission. And votes afterwards!

Ohh. Interesting problem.
I just spent ages thinking about this and got nowhere much past needing to tie the ending of the situation strongly into the the theme/ lack or impossibility of closure. Good luck

I used to keep an idea book (back when I had lots of ideas; one reason why I love these challenges is it forces ideas) but they were never fully formed with a beginning-middle-end. Nowadays I write them on scraps of paper and then lose them.

Red

Does any of writing-GAF have stories for purchase anywhere? I would like to check them out + support the community.

FlowersisBritish

Does any of writing-GAF have stories for purchase anywhere? I would like to check them out + support the community.

I recently got a one of my challenge winning stories published. There's a post in the writing thread. You can check it out for free, or buy it, but I don't get any proceeds

The Wall

Banned
I... read the FAQ and I am still unclear on how to submit an entry if I do not care if it is password or dropbox protected. Just post it?

FlowersisBritish

I... read the FAQ and I am still unclear on how to submit an entry if I do not care if it is password or dropbox protected. Just post it?

Yep. There a couple ways, you could link to a goodgle doc, or even just copy and paste it into one long post. So long as everyone can read it

Link to non-password protected PDF, link to Google Docs, copy-paste it into the post, link to dramatic reading on Soundcloud/YouTube, .txt-document. Anything goes as long as we can get it somehow.

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts in half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

Note that Google Hangouts recently moved to a new format, which doesn't include the text chat. If you want to switch back, hit the three dots in the upper right corner and choose the option to switch to the old version.

Ashes

Banned

Servant. < US link.

Half a year on, I'm still surprised that it sold a copy last week. With all due respect to Neogaf, I have no idea why. Or who's buying.

Red

I have 1,000 words for a story I am not at all happy with. I think I'll shelve this one and try something new.

On the bright side, it's more than I've written since my son was born. Baby steps.
Servant. < US link.

Half a year on, I'm still surprised that it sold a copy last week. With all due respect to Neogaf, I have no idea why. Or who's buying.
Thanks. Will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom