• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Movies of the Year 2015 Voting Thread - Voting Ends 2/24/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Hateful Eight
3. Spotlight
4. The Revenant
5. The Room
6. Straight Outta Compton
7. The Big Short
8. Sicarlo
9. Creed
10. Spectre

2. Creed

3. Room

4. Carol

5. What We Do In the Shadows

6. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

7. It Follows

8. Bone Tomahawk

9. Spotlight

10. Sicario

Notable films I never got around to watching:
Anomalisa
Phoenix
Tangerine
Mistress America
The Big Short
Brooklyn
Beast of No Nation
Steve Jobs
The Assassin
Bridge of Spies

1. The Assassin dir. Hou Hsiao-hsien
oQ7h359.jpg

2. Eden dir. Mia Hansen-Løve

3. Clouds of Sils Maria dir. Olivier Assayas

4. Mad Max: Fury Road dir. George Miller

5. Mustang dir. Deniz Gamze Ergüven

6. Taxi dir. Jafar Panahi

7. Hard to Be a God dir. Aleksei German

8. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence dir. Roy Andersson

9. R100 dir. Hitoshi Matsumoto

10. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation dir. Christopher McQuarrie

Violet_0

Banned
As long as Age of Ultron or Star Wars doesn't win then I'm happy.

gonna be Mad Max, Star Wars, then ehh ... I don't know, Sicario or Inside Out? Anyway, of the Marvel flicks Antman is going to do better than Age of Ultron. AoU doesn't seem to get all that many mentions

Of the ones I saw.

1. Creed
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. Inside Out
4. Bridge of Spies
5. Kingsman: The Secret Service
6. The Martian
7. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
9. Beasts of No Nation
10. Spectre

mr stroke

1.Spotlight
2.It Follows
3.Star Wars the Force Unleashed
4.Steve Jobs
5.Mad Max Fury Road
6.Room
7.Straight outta Compton
8.Brooklyn
9.Amy
10.The Gift

Missed
Hateful Eight, Revenant, Tangerine, The Assassin, The Martian

Trance

1. Mad Max - Fury Road
2. Magic Mike XXL
3. The Big Short
4. Phoenix
5. Spotlight
6. The Martian
7. Sicario
8. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
9. Inside Out
10. It Follows

I really wanted to write extensively about each one, but I won't finish in time to post it here. Maybe I'll edit it in later.

ASS

Neo Member
106 movies later.

2. Gett, the Trial of Viviane Amsalem
3. Victoria
4. The Lobster
5. Amy
6. The Hateful 8
7. Wild Tales
8. The Big Short
9. 45 Years
10. Goodnight Mommy

Unfortunately I have not seen Carol, Creed, The Assassin, Hateful Eight, and many other films I would have liked to.

1. It Follows
2. Mad Max Fury Road
3. Ex Machina
4. A Most Violent Year
5. Inside Out

1. The Big Short
  2. It Follows
  3. Room
  4. Steve Jobs
  5. Trainwreck
  6. Ex Machina
  7. Inside Out
  8. Spy
  9. Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens
  10. The End of the Tour

Honorable mentions:
  • Anomalisa
  • Spotlight
  • Mad Max

Still want to see: The Hateful Eight, Carol, Bridge of Spies

Jonm1010

Banned
1.) Mad Max: Fury Road

2.) Ex Machina

3.) Room

4.) The Big Short

5.) Sicario

6.) Inside Out

7.) Spotlight

8.) Star Wars: The Force Awakens

9.) It Follows

10.) The Hateful Eight

The last few spots were hard. About 5 movies I struggled with replacing the last few spots with. Probably will regret not changing them after I hit send. Still missed a few films I am mad I couldn't see like Room(actually watching right now), Brooklyn, Anomalisa Son of Saul and Amy.

EDIT: Finished Room. Recency Bias might over value it(or undervalue) but it was great.

daydream

Banned
1. the lobster
2. the hateful eight
3. victoria
4. man from reno
5. carol
6. a girl walks home alone at night
7. chi-raq
8. spectre

will stop here because if i listed more, they'd really be closer to mediocre than anything worth voting for. with 5-8 i already have my reservations but i am still in favour of them overall

01. Mad Max: Fury Road
02. Creed
03. SW: The Force Awakens
04. The Hateful Eight
05. What We Do In The Shadows
06. Steve Jobs
07. Room
08. Ex-Machina
09. Inside Out
10. Sicario
Honorable mention: Diary of a Teenage Girl, Chi-raq, It Follows, Beasts of No Nation, The Revenant, MI: Rogue Nation, The Visit, Kingsman, Spotlight, Straight Outta Compton, Bone Tomahawk

This is unquestionably one of the most expertly paced films in recent memory, never given to stretches of tedium or repetition. Though I’m not overly critical of exposition (particularly when it‘s well-implemented), the almost imperceptible nature of this particular element was exceedingly refreshing. Rather than excessively delineate on the construct of their civilization, the minutiae of the world and the characters that inhabited it was skillfully conveyed through cursory bits of dialogue and, of course, some meticulously crafted visuals. Despite the constancy of the action, the characters were surprisingly well-developed as the film progressed. The script and George Millar’s direction are undoubtedly essential in how well-executed this aspect was, but the subtleties of expression conveyed by Hardy, Hoult, and, in particular, Theron (whose performance was terrific) elevated the effectiveness of the exposition and characterization immensely.

George Miller, despite his age, appears to have only improved, displaying some virtuoso filmmaking throughout, most evident throughout the sandstorm sequence. I had expected a slight diminishment in quality over time, as I became more detached from the initial viewing, but my appreciation of the film and all of its exceptional qualities has only strengthened, which is quite rare. Though I don’t typically throw this word around when discussing recent films, this could very well be a masterpiece, and, despite adoring Road Warrior, Fury Road is perhaps George Millar at his most refined.

2. Carol

This is an exceptionally well-crafted film, evoking a meticulous refinement in every aspect of its construct, from the sharp editing to the elegant cinematography to the immaculate costume and set design. Todd Haynes’ direction is masterful, visually orchestrating the intimacy of Therese and Carol’s relationship with a restraint that is deftly able to capture both the nearly imperceptible subtleties and the obvious sensuality of their romance. Cate Blanchett is, as always, excellent, but Rooney Mara delivers a performance that is quite possibly even better, as she convincingly and expressively conveys every emotional flourish involved in their unexpectedly wondrous romance. Fortunately, the writing smartly avoids even a hint of melodrama, which would have likely tarnished the film considerably, instead determined to quietly unravel their story.

3. Macbeth

A uniquely arresting, albeit noticeably flawed, adaptation of what I consider to be Shakespeare’s best work. Though several of the more atypical directorial flourishes are excessively implemented, particularly during the battle that opened the film, Justin Kurzel’s direction is strikingly brutal. Arkapaw’s stunning and inventive cinematography complemented said direction superbly in its ability to so starkly capture the savagery within Macbeth’s descent into madness. Fassbender is fantastic as Macbeth, while Cotillard provides an equally impressive and considerably performance. As an adaptation however, it was rather flawed. With the focus of the story residing almost entirely on Macbeth, several of the secondary threads and characters are afforded little in the way of insight or development. Fortunately, this didn’t necessarily weaken the quality of the film, even if I would have possibly preferred another hour to broaden the scope of the narrative. The final fifteen minutes of the film were masterfully executed, as all of the finer aspects of the film were expertly woven together in the creation of a crescendo that was thoroughly riveting and exceedingly satisfying.

4. 45 Years

A thoughtful, intricately told portrait of a matured marriage and all of the emotional and psychological complexities that so many years have embedded into their relationship. The wistful, restrained nature of both the film and Andrew Haigh’s direction work wonderfully in complementing the understated approach to its storytelling. As such, the story gently, yet masterfully, entangles the viewer into the maelstrom of unspoken emotions that each of these individuals are experiencing. The narrative is methodically paced, yet never tedious, culminating with an ending that is at once beautiful and devastating. Charlotte Rampling gives an exceptionally nuanced performance here (undoubtedly the best of the year), effortlessly weaving through a myriad of disparate emotions without sacrificing the essential strength that her character possesses.

5. Phoenix

Though the premise could have so easily proven maudlin and incongruous with the nature of the time in history that this story occurs, the narrative and characters are crafted with a deftness that is remarkably effective. Christian Petzold’s direction is exceedingly impressive throughout, as he confidently balances several distinctly separate tones, carefully weaving them together as this melancholic tale unfolds. Though permeated by an aching solemnity, there is a quietly effective hopefulness that underscores several significant moments tremendously well. Nina Hoss’ vulnerable, yet continuously commanding, performance is sublime. The ending, above all, is exquisitely haunting; the best of this year by some measure.

6. Duke of Burgundy

Quickly establishing itself as a considerably more intimate and complex film than most others within this fetishistic genre, this proved to be a thoroughly compelling and surprisingly humorous tale of romance. Strickland’s direction was wonderfully provocative and rather creative here (notably improving on his promising, yet deeply flawed, Berberian Sound Studio), as his stylish and surrealistic flourishes were able to capture the, at times, dream-like nature of Cynthia and Evelyn’s salacious, yet exceedingly naturalistic love for one another remarkably well. Chiara D’hanna’s performance was particularly great. Having said all that, the story’s pacing does become a bit flawed in the latter half of the film, faltering slightly due to its potentially necessary repetition. Thankfully, the conclusion is appropriately understated and immensely satisfying.

7. Son of Saul

A bleak, unrelentingly solemn affair that, similar to Macbeth, focuses almost entirely on a single individual and the torments of his existence. This pointedly narrow focus creates a thoroughly unsettling sense of claustrophobia that pervades the entire film. Smartly avoiding introspection or an exploration of the psychological, this film captures the brutality of the Holocaust in a manner that is quite unique and altogether riveting. As a directorial debut, Laszlo Nemes’ direction is astonishing in its unwavering confidence, never relegating the telling of its starkly savage story to mere observation. In tandem with the tightly focused and often oppressive cinematography, Geza Rohrig’s haunting performance is superb, guiding the audience through a sort of hell that lingers for quite some time.

8. What We Do in the Shadows

This mockumentary is a wonderfully paced, immensely enjoyable comedy that rarely falters despite the potential tedium derived from its premise. The humor cleverly approaches the conventions surrounding vampires, while also, similar to Edgar Wright’s films, being fully aware of the longevity of a joke, sharply avoiding the monotony so easily found in a well-worn and overly stretched bit of satire. Nearly every character is engaging and amusingly endearing, elevated, in part, by the excellent performances by all involved. I’m greatly looking forward to the sequel, especially since it appears likely to be focusing on some of the best characters (the werewolves).

9. Anomalisa

Like most of Charlie Kaufman’s work, this was a strangely humanistic and thoroughly endearing tale of loneliness and an existential exploration of a single individual’s life. Though I wasn’t overly fond of Kaufman’s first foray into direction with Synecdoche, New York, finding its admirable ambitions to be repeatedly weakened by its flawed execution, this was a considerably more polished directorial effort. Kaufman’s writing was, as is typically the case, surprisingly complex and bizarrely humorous. The animation is quite impressive, lending itself well to some of the more surrealistic moments. David Thewlis’ naturalistic performance is perhaps the highlight of the film.

10. Inside Out

This surprisingly poignant tale manages, despite its somewhat problematic pacing in the second half, to be the best of Pixar since Toy Story 3, as it beautifully depicts a faintly nostalgic sense of melancholic whimsy that complements Riley’s youthful struggles superbly. This is perhaps the strongest of Pete Docter’s films (followed closely by Monsters Inc. and not so closely by Up), as it features an increasingly polished execution of the more intimate scope that his earlier efforts have, to varying success, attempted. Riley is, by some distance, the most compelling character, but both Joy and, in particular, Sadness are consistently engaging. Unfortunately, the other secondary characters, aside from Riley’s parents, aren’t woven into the story as well as I would have liked. Thankfully, unlike several of Pixar’s output over the last five years, the emotional moments were, for the most part, devoid of artifice or needless contrivances. Though it doesn’t quite reach the stunning heights of his work on The Incredibles or Ratatouille, Giacchino’s score, particularly the main theme, is terrific.

Honorable Mentions

1. Room

This film is essentially a tale of two halves, both narratively and in regards to its quality. The first hour, as such, is a harrowing and deftly executed tale of hopelessness, struggle, and an eventual respite. The latter half, however, though still quite engaging due to the thoughtful characterization of both Jack and Joy, is plagued by several developments that weren’t exactly compelling. The aspect of this film that so strongly elevates it despite some disappointing qualities is, of course, the performances by Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay, both of which weave a beautiful naturalism into the portrayal of their characters. Jack’s youthful perspective offered a very effective narration of sorts, as the audience is able to glimpse both worlds through a narrower and more idealized, prism.

2. Brooklyn

This was a very charming and consistently enjoyable film. Though thematically straightforward and narratively simplistic, Eilis’ story is beautifully told, buoyed primarily by a superbly subtle performance from Saoirse Ronan. The supporting cast all give admirable performances, particularly Emory Cohen, who was quite impressive. Of course, there is an occasional moment of excessive sentimentality and several bits of questionable storytelling in the latter half, but the confident approach to nearly every aspect of the film ultimately resulted in something that was quite satisfying.

3. Sicario

Denis Villeneuve, once again, proves to be exceptionally skilled at conveying tension. This quality, above all else, elevates the film beyond the mediocrity inspired by its disappointingly conventional storytelling. The story, as such, never quite captures the sort of moral complexity that it appears to be striving for, unfortunately. A more polished execution in this area would have likely strengthened the film immeasurably. Unlike his previous effort, The Prisoner, which I consider to be a somewhat superior film, Sicario offers little in the way of compelling characters. As such, despite Emily Blunt’s strong performance, her character is too often relegated into the role of a passive observer. Benicio Del Toro, however, excels throughout, providing a fantastic portrayal of a thoroughly intriguing and fairly enigmatic character.

4. Spotlight

Considering the rarity of films such as this and that All the President’s Men is one of my favorite American films, I was hoping and expecting that Spotlight would be slightly more noteworthy. While it was still consistently compelling, elevated further by Ruffalo’s strong performance and a premise that was immensely intriguing, it felt strangely lacking in several areas. Above all, there was an unfortunate absence of tension throughout much of the film, which somewhat dulled the effectiveness of the story. The narrative, as a result, became occasionally repetitious, steadily progressing towards its slightly unremarkable conclusion (credits notwithstanding). It was nevertheless a largely engaging telling of what is an enormously interesting story.

5. Bone Tomahawk

This was a rather strong western, surprisingly besting The Hateful Eight, as it was elevated by some excellent characters and a refreshingly languid pacing. This pacing, in turn, allowed for some fairly lengthy and rewarding conversational interludes that would typically be edited out. Though the unique approach to its story, wherein several disparate genres were woven together, could have certainly detracted from the quality of the film, it was executed quite nicely, as each genre largely complemented the other. Aside from an inconsistent Lili Simmons, the performances are uniformly great, particularly from Kurt Russell and Matthew Fox.

This was a fairly good year, as it provided a plethora of reasonably high quality films throughout a fairly diverse amount of genres. There were several films that I was unable to watch prior to the deadline that would have likely altered this list dramatically, namely Hard to be a God, Theeb, Amy, The Lobster, Mistress America, and A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence.

First year that I'm really starting to get into contemporary film. I barely watched over ten and still have not yet watched (and do mean to watch) films like Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, Mustang, and a whole bunch of indies, any of which I expect may take (at least) some of my bottom spots, but, as of tonight, these are my top 10:

1. Carol
2. Spotlight
3. Room
4. The Assassin
5. The Diary of a Teenage Girl
6. Brooklyn
7. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
8. 45 Years
9. Anomalisa
10. The Revenant

Kazaam

The voting has closed! I'll update the final list and will make the results thread later tonight after I come back from work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom